Why I Don't Believe

Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color, or not collecting stamps a hobby.

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god or gods, nothing more. If we deconstruct the term ‘atheism’ we find ‘a – theism’ which means ‘without – theism’ which, in turn, means ‘without – belief in god(s)’. It is, therefore, not a positive belief or a claim to knowledge. Instead, it is the default position of doubt, uncertainty and skepticism one may have regarding claims made by theists.

Just as it takes no faith to lack belief or remain uncertain concerning any other imaginable claim, it takes none to doubt the existence of a god or gods.

Every human-being ever born begins life as an implicit atheist and must be taught the concept of theism or, more commonly, indoctrinated with it.

Atheism has no sacred texts, objects, places or times, no rituals or creation stories, no positive beliefs, central tenants, modes of worship or supernatural claims, no implicit or derived moral codes, philosophies or world views and no central organisation or church. It fulfills none of the criteria that define a religion. See also: Atheism is a religion.

“To say that atheism requires faith is as dim-witted as saying that disbelief in pixies or leprechauns takes faith. Even if Einstein himself told me there was an elf on my shoulder, I would still ask for proof and I wouldn’t be wrong to ask.” – Geoff Mather

Yes, I have heard this dogma before - many times. It is the standard response, rather than actually responding to the issues. Then a few quotes, as if citing someone else's unsupported opinion actually constitutes evidence. You say you have no sacred texts, but what you are doing is citing chapter and verse.

I don't care whether your belief is positive or negative. Belief is an action. If you hold a position for which you have no objective evidence, then you are believing. Saying it is not belief just because you decide you want to define it that way changes absolutely nothing.

I simply have a source where they have already replied to just about everything a theist will say. If you want to call it my bible then fine. But my bible can change and we don't claim that a god inspired us to write it. We don't get tax write offs, we don't meet once a week.

So anytime you provide a link defending your position on USMB can we assume it is scripture? All that site does is reply back to all the fatally flawed arguments theists make trying to prove to other people that their god or any god exists. I've read it 100 times. So when I see one of your fatally flawed arguments and I know that site has already responded to that bad argument, rather than waste 5 minutes typing, I just go cut and paste.

Also, you can not use the bible to prove that god exists or that jesus is god. That's a fiction book as far as I'm concerned. Notice they don't even try to prove god exists in the bible? What they do is tell you he proved it 2000 years ago and now you have to just believe the camp fire stories. Blind faith. Or burn in hell.

At least I don't tell you if you believe in god you will burn in hell because hell is for bad and stupid people. If there was a hell, I don't think it would be for people who don't believe. That's what a church says when they want you to remain a member. I think being bad is what would send you to hell. I would also assume a real god wouldn't care if you doubted man because man lies a lot. So I would think after evil, being stupid would be the next thing to send you to hell. And if you have blind faith in impossible stories, how bright can you possibly be?

No. You provided a source that responds to what some Christians might say. Someone used the term "agnostic atheist". That site could be described as "Christian Atheist". It's for people who want to think they are Atheists but can't seem to let go of Sunday school.

You say they are wrong but you insist that only their version is possible. And you call that rational?

YES!!! TRY TO THINK!!! This little life even if 100+ years is less than a drop oin the oceans of eternity!

No worries. You get more tries. You'll get it right eventually.

YES!!! I LIVE MY LIFE AS A BLESSED son of ALMIGHTY GOD!!!and you???????

The irony there is that the comfort that religion brought them did nothing to improve their lives and, in fact impeded the scientific progress that could have improved their lives. They traded this life for the promise of one to come.

Get it? They used religion to keep the ignorant poor down. Don't worry about your shitty life now because heaven awaits.

Oh, and your life is blessed because of god? Why is mine blessed? Fact is, god doesn't help anyone. Many christians suffer, get murdered, starve, get raped and live shitty lives. Do you know how many slaves were christians? They used religion to keep those blacks from revolting, and it worked. They used it after slavery too. Baptist teach that dying is the only solution. The paster says pray to cope not change.

So it may make you feel better to live under the protection of god, but he aint protecting you. He aint curing cancer or aids. If a car hits you you die. If you live you were lucky, no angel or god saved you fool. Funny how much death and suffering happen and one person survives a plane crash and it was god. Why didn't god save the 1000 who dies and he only saved the 1?

Bottom line is no god is watching you and no god cares about you. That's all in your head. And I'm ok with it as long as you keep it there. :eusa_shhh:

dude, ...its time for you to move into the 21st Century and stop measuring religion by what happened a thousand years ago.....

Ironic coming from someone who believes men who lived 2,000 years ago somehow knew more back then than we know today.

Maybe you should move into the 21st Century and re-evalute the writings of men who lived in a time of ignorance, superstitution, and fear. Men who didn't know why it rained or why it didn't rain, why there were earthquakes, floods, locust, and volcanos, why some were born different and others got sick and died.

Easy to understand how people who lived lives that were brutish and short and at the mercy of seemly random fate would want to believe they would inherit the earth and have eternal life in heaven. The irony there is that the comfort that religion brought them did nothing to improve their lives and, in fact impeded the scientific progress that could have improved their lives. They traded this life for the promise of one to come.

Great post.

Until we understand something we “do not know”. Positing a ‘god’ in place of admitting personal ignorance is an unfounded leap which demonstrates a fundamental lack of humility.

The existence and non-existence of a god are not equally probable outcomes.

You have objective evidence to support that last claim? Or is that just what you believe?

We are spirits and as such we shall live eternally in one of two places. There is no avoiding it. This is the truth. We were created in the image of God. Look in your bible in Genesis 1:26 and you will find that you were made in the image of God! God is a Spirit. We who were created in His Image are spirits also.

God desires to be worshiped in spirit and in truth as Jesus told the woman at the well in John 4:24.

But because of Adam's sin in the garden - our spirits must be born again. Because we were born in the deadness of Adams sin and trespass against God Almighty.

So spiritually we are ( condemned to be separated from God ) until we receive eternal life in Christ by believing upon Jesus Christ shedding His blood at the cross for the pardon of our sins. This is why Jesus told Nicodemus, Marvel not that I say, Ye must be born again. John 3: 7 , It is written.

Yes, we were born of flesh but we must be born of the spirit too.

Jesus Christ is referred to as the son of man and the second Adam for this very reason. Jesus was sinless yet he was tempted just as man was tempted. Temptation is not a sin. Succumbing to temptation is a sin.

Jesus is the perfect lamb of God who never sinned! Jesus is perfect and did not sin on earth whereas Adam fell. Jesus did not fall. Jesus defeated Satan at the Cross and that is why Jesus said, "It is finished". Lucifer was defeated at the cross! He is a defeated foe.

Now going back to the matter of us being created in the image of God. We were made in Gods image. God said, Let US make man in OUR image and in OUR likeness. Who was God speaking to? His own Spirit and Word ( Jesus Christ ) - Genesis 1 and John 1 confirm Who was there In the Beginning. God the Word, God the Spirit, God the Father. From the Beginning. Genesis 1. Examine the Scriptures.

We were not made in the likeness of a monkey ( Darwin was painfully wrong with his "theory of evolution - we didn't evolved from monkeys) we were not made in the image of angels - we have no wings and we do not fly round - (other than when we travel in an airplane, helicopter,etc) we were made in the image of God.

We are a trichotomy. We are a spirit. We live in a body ( while here on earth but that body will return to the dust from whence it came one day - it is appointed for all men to die "Once" and then the judgment ) and we have a soul! Our soul is the seat of our emotions, our will, our natural mind. So we are created in the image of God- God is a spirit - The Word of God is Jesus Christ who is God according to John 1:1 and further on John 1:14. The Spirit of the LORD He is God - The Spirit of the LORD is God. God is a Spirit.

What am I saying? 1 x 1 x 1 = 1. You see? It is not 1 + 1 + 1 = 3. Not at all. It is 1 x 1 x 1 = 1.

You and I do not refer to ourselves as 3. We refer to ourselves as 1. David said, Bless the Lord O my soul and ALL that is within me Bless His Holy Name. Psalm 103: 1 - look at it.

We do not speak about our soul and body as other people. Paul spoke of his spirit, he spoke of his body, he spoke of his soul. Paul did not refer to himself as three people.

The reason God needs for every man, woman and child to believe on His Son Jesus Christ and be born again according to Romans 10: 8,9 and John 3:16 is very simple. Spirits do not die. They live eternally. We are spirits made in Gods' image. We will not die. We will leave this body on earth one day - we are appointed to live upon the earth once and then when we die comes the judgment. Heaven or hell. We are spirits and as such we will live eternally in one of these two places. See the John Bunyan video I posted on this thread the other day. See for yourselves.

Another fact:

The same angel that appeared to Daniel in Daniel 10:12 is still doing warfare in the heavenlies today. That ministering spirit is still in existence because spirits do not die. This is why Lucifer and the angels who fell with him will never die. This is why you and I, as spirits will never die. We must go someplace! Eternally!!! Where shall it be?

We know that Lucifer and his angels will be cast into hell when the time comes We know that those who follow him and refuse to repent of their sins and accept Jesus Christ's pardon at the cross for their sins will be in hell eternally.

We know that those who call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved and that if we believe in our Heart and confess with our mouth Jesus Christ as it is written in Romans 10: 8,9 that we shall be received into heaven by God Almighty when we one day leave this earth. This is the good news Gospel message.

Because you are a spirit? ( who lives in a body and has a soul ) You and your soul are going to live eternally in one of two places. Which shall it be? Heaven or hell? Choose life,People. Jesus Christ is the truth, the way and the Life. Choose life and life eternal in Jesus Christ today.

Sincerely, Jeremiah

Last edited:
Yes, I have heard this dogma before - many times. It is the standard response, rather than actually responding to the issues. Then a few quotes, as if citing someone else's unsupported opinion actually constitutes evidence. You say you have no sacred texts, but what you are doing is citing chapter and verse.

I don't care whether your belief is positive or negative. Belief is an action. If you hold a position for which you have no objective evidence, then you are believing. Saying it is not belief just because you decide you want to define it that way changes absolutely nothing.

I simply have a source where they have already replied to just about everything a theist will say. If you want to call it my bible then fine. But my bible can change and we don't claim that a god inspired us to write it. We don't get tax write offs, we don't meet once a week.

So anytime you provide a link defending your position on USMB can we assume it is scripture? All that site does is reply back to all the fatally flawed arguments theists make trying to prove to other people that their god or any god exists. I've read it 100 times. So when I see one of your fatally flawed arguments and I know that site has already responded to that bad argument, rather than waste 5 minutes typing, I just go cut and paste.

Also, you can not use the bible to prove that god exists or that jesus is god. That's a fiction book as far as I'm concerned. Notice they don't even try to prove god exists in the bible? What they do is tell you he proved it 2000 years ago and now you have to just believe the camp fire stories. Blind faith. Or burn in hell.

At least I don't tell you if you believe in god you will burn in hell because hell is for bad and stupid people. If there was a hell, I don't think it would be for people who don't believe. That's what a church says when they want you to remain a member. I think being bad is what would send you to hell. I would also assume a real god wouldn't care if you doubted man because man lies a lot. So I would think after evil, being stupid would be the next thing to send you to hell. And if you have blind faith in impossible stories, how bright can you possibly be?

No. You provided a source that responds to what some Christians might say. Someone used the term "agnostic atheist". That site could be described as "Christian Atheist". It's for people who want to think they are Atheists but can't seem to let go of Sunday school.

You say they are wrong but you insist that only their version is possible. And you call that rational?

I don't claim only my version is possible I just claim their version is not probable and unbelievable. Boss could be completely right. His concepts could be right! I don't think they are, but they could be. He doesn't make any claims of knowing. No god ever spoke to him. But jews, muslims and christians say god talked to them and miracles were performed. Do you believe that? I don't. And I think a society that does believe the unbelievable can't be all that smart. Do you?

And I am an agnostic atheist. I don't know what's on the other side of black holes. Do you? I just see no evidence of a god.

We are spirits and as such we shall live eternally in one of two places. There is no avoiding it. This is the truth. We were created in the image of God. Look in your bible
Sincerely, Jeremiah

Didn't I say earlier that Gismys can't use what's in the bible to prove god exists because atheists believe that's a man made book full of fiction, fairy tales and lies.

So what else do you have? The book is only good for believers. Everyone else thinks the book is full of lies. Just ask the Jews or Muslims.

In every case that God in the Bible told anyone to kill another it was due to the behavior of the target, and not merely because they failed to believe in God.

Does that include the behavior of the infants and children too? And the animals?

Yep

The biggest single factor in people not believing in God is their ignorance about God and his track record.

Beg to differ here. In my case it was study of God and the history of the Bible that led to my certainty it was mythology.

Bullshit. You have not demonstrated the simplest notion or familiarity with the concept of God. You cant even cover all the logical bases of possible religious truth. You are a poseur.

And I know there is no such case with Christianity, though many have claimed to do just that, in Christianity violence was only allowed in cases of self defense and service to the nation.

Certainly there was plenty of violence precipitated by Christians. From the Crusades to the 30 years war Christianity was the reason for violence. Were these cases of self defense or service to the nation? I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

Lol, and this is an example of your ignorant bullshit.

First, I didn't say that Christians did not precipitate violence, many of them have. I said CHRISTIANITY (as a theological system of faith) does not advocate or encourage the use of violence, which you would know if you knew jack shit on the topic which you plainly do not.

Second, I would stack the record of two thousand years of Christian politics in comparison to the two centuries we have had of atheistic ideology starting with the Jacobins, to the Paris Commune, to the Marxist-Leninists, to the fascists and Nazis to the Maoists and the Khmer Rogue.

Atheists in power are the most murderous, unjust, lying demonic groups of people the planet has ever seen, killing more people since 1750 than all other movements and religions combined.

Lol, if you had any sense you wouldn't throw stones, ignoramus.

We are spirits and as such we shall live eternally in one of two places. There is no avoiding it. This is the truth. We were created in the image of God. Look in your bible
Sincerely, Jeremiah

Didn't I say earlier that Gismys can't use what's in the bible to prove god exists because atheists believe that's a man made book full of fiction, fairy tales and lies.

So what else do you have? The book is only good for believers. Everyone else thinks the book is full of lies. Just ask the Jews or Muslims.

What does it matter? You are a mere man, Sealybobo. Who dares to judge God Almighty and His Written Word? Who dares to Judge God's elect? Have you not heard? Let God be true and every man found a liar?

Yes, it is written:
God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
- Romans 3:4

Last edited:
You do not believe because you are ignorant about the entire subject.

There is truth of some degree in all faiths or they would go into extinction.

You do not believe because you do not want to believe and don't have the courage or honesty to speak truthfully to yourself.

Easy to throw around such statements but harder to prove them. For example:

You believe because you are ignorant about the entire subject.

You believe because you want to believe and don't have the courage or honesty to speak truthfully to yourself

You just demonstrated in the prior post that you cannot read and have no knowledge of Christian doctrine on the use of violence.

For my evidence I provide your posts.

I don't claim only my version is possible I just claim their version is not probable and unbelievable. Boss could be completely right. His concepts could be right! I don't think they are, but they could be. He doesn't make any claims of knowing. No god ever spoke to him. But jews, muslims and christians say god talked to them and miracles were performed. Do you believe that? I don't. And I think a society that does believe the unbelievable can't be all that smart. Do you?

And I am an agnostic atheist. I don't know what's on the other side of black holes. Do you? I just see no evidence of a god.

You see no evidence..... period. You just told someone there is no god who cares and you have no evidence.... period.

You claim their version is not probable.... based upon what evidence? You say it is unbelievable..... that clearly ignores reality. Millions of people believe it. You say a society that believes the unbelievable can't be smart. What about people who believe what is objectively untrue? That is what you are doing.

Once again, if the true definition of an Atheist is one who lacks god beliefs, then I have yet to meet a single Atheist.

IMO, there is absolutely no difference between saying "if you don't believe what I believe you are going to hell" and "if you don't believe what I believe you are stupid." Both positions show an inability to differentiate between belief and knowledge.

Sincerely, Jeremiah

What does it matter? You are a mere man, Sealybobo. Who dares to judge God Almighty and His Written Word? Who dares to Judge God's elect? Have you not heard? Let God be true and every man found a liar?

Yes, it is written:
God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
- Romans 3:4

Yes it was written, by a cult/church that wanted to control man.

I don't judge god and his written word. I determine if this god character is real or not, based on man's words. And I find man's words to be unbelievable. A lie if you will.

And this "who dares" bullshit is how you brainwash/scare someone into belief? I'm not going to fall for that. Only a weak mind would fall for that. You do realize the only difference between a cult and religion is the size of the membership, right?

What cult are you in? And if christian, which one? Born again, non denomination, lutheran, presbyterian, catholic, greek orthodox, baptist, etc? All cults. Big cults but still cults.

Please don't try to fear us into belief. It doesn't work. It only re confirms your lies are bullshit and made up. Its one of the reasons the light bulb went off when I was young and heard the impossible stories and thought "this can't possibly be true". Where a fool like you and Gismys soaked that shit up. Gullible.

I don't blame you. It just points out that you are a less evolved and less educated person than me.

Oh and I shouldn't call you stupid. The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalize world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

That's kind of my point....it's not that easy, and it's not a free choice. You can't just choose to believe something that's contrary to your standards of knowledge.

you couldn't be more wrong......you choose your standards of knowledge......freely.......and its as easy as making up your mind.....do you get stomach cramps when you think?.....

No, you don't. As you've shown since you cannot make yourself believe in Bigfoot or change your standards of knowledge to include the weak evidence for Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster, etc.

why would I want to make myself believe in Bigfoot?......I've already decided I do not.....my standards if knowledge are those which I have chosen myself.....they obviously differ from those you have chosen, because I believe things you do not, and you believe things I do not....

the error you make is assuming that because I do not believe in something it is because I have been forced otherwise, instead of having chosen otherwise.....

You see no evidence..... period. You just told someone there is no god who cares and you have no evidence.... period.

You claim their version is not probable.... based upon what evidence? You say it is unbelievable..... that clearly ignores reality. Millions of people believe it. You say a society that believes the unbelievable can't be smart. What about people who believe what is objectively untrue? That is what you are doing.

Once again, if the true definition of an Atheist is one who lacks god beliefs, then I have yet to meet a single Atheist.

IMO, there is absolutely no difference between saying "if you don't believe what I believe you are going to hell" and "if you don't believe what I believe you are stupid." Both positions show an inability to differentiate between belief and knowledge.

Sorry The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalize world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

You do not believe because you are ignorant about the entire subject.

There is truth of some degree in all faiths or they would go into extinction.

You do not believe because you do not want to believe and don't have the courage or honesty to speak truthfully to yourself.

Easy to throw around such statements but harder to prove them. For example:

You believe because you are ignorant about the entire subject.

You believe because you want to believe and don't have the courage or honesty to speak truthfully to yourself

You just demonstrated in the prior post that you cannot read and have no knowledge of Christian doctrine on the use of violence.

For my evidence I provide your posts.

I would shake the dust from my feet right now, JimBowie. Not all people are interested in the truth. Not all people discuss matters about God with an interest in seeking the truth about God and the bible warns us of this thruth. In some cases as was the case of John Bunyan - he fell into such deep despair after having encountered a man - an atheist who plotted to rob him of his faith that he sought to take his own life. The atheist who sought to rob Bunyan of his faith in God ended up in hell. During Bunyans vision of hell he saw the man in hell. This brings explains clearly the following Scripture which is a warning to all those who would seek to rob others of their faith in Christ:

It is written:

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. - Hebrews 10:31

dude, ...its time for you to move into the 21st Century and stop measuring religion by what happened a thousand years ago.....

Ironic coming from someone who believes men who lived 2,000 years ago somehow knew more back then than we know today.

Maybe you should move into the 21st Century and re-evalute the writings of men who lived in a time of ignorance, superstitution, and fear. Men who didn't know why it rained or why it didn't rain, why there were earthquakes, floods, locust, and volcanos, why some were born different and others got sick and died.

Easy to understand how people who lived lives that were brutish and short and at the mercy of seemly random fate would want to believe they would inherit the earth and have eternal life in heaven. The irony there is that the comfort that religion brought them did nothing to improve their lives and, in fact impeded the scientific progress that could have improved their lives. They traded this life for the promise of one to come.

Great post.

Until we understand something we “do not know”. Positing a ‘god’ in place of admitting personal ignorance is an unfounded leap which demonstrates a fundamental lack of humility.

There are two types of people, those that come from a place of faith and those that come from a place of skeptacism. Most of us grow up with faith in our mothers and expand our faith from there based on what we're taught. The less fortunate search for the faith they didn't get from their childhood. Others, like me grow away from our faith and towards logic.

Not claiming any group is better or worse than any other, we're all looking for the same thing, we just get it from different places.

Hi, you have received -833 reputation points from PostmodernProph.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
there\'s at least one fucking idiot in every crowd.....

Regards,
PostmodernProph

That's very Christian of you. Thanks for reinforcing my point. Your mother must be very proud of you, with such excellent and innovative word choice.

hard to say.....she's dead....

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

See why it's hard to debate you theists? Do you believe people lived to be 800 years old back in the day? Do you believe snakes could talk? Do you believe the Noah flood story happened? If you do you are a fool and if you don't but still believe in god, why?

Many christians know the Noah and Adam and Eve stories are just stories but then they believe literally the jesus story. :cuckoo:

In fact many christians can point out the stupidity of the mormon, muslim and jewish religions but they can't do it to their own religion. Virgin birth. Miracles. HA! :eusa_liar::cuckoo:

Great post.

There are two types of people, those that come from a place of faith and those that come from a place of skeptacism. Most of us grow up with faith in our mothers and expand our faith from there based on what we're taught. The less fortunate search for the faith they didn't get from their childhood. Others, like me grow away from our faith and towards logic.

Not claiming any group is better or worse than any other, we're all looking for the same thing, we just get it from different places.

What's funny is less than a year ago I would have been on here arguing why I don't believe any organized religions but I still believe in god. LESS THAN A YEAR AGO!

So I've been on both sides of this argument. When I call them stupid for believing, I guess I'm saying I was stupid in the past for believing.

And I wouldn't care who believes what except for I think religion is bad and is holding us back. Look at Gaza. Look at us. You can't even be POTUS unless you believe in god. How is that working out for us as a planet?

Forum List

Back