Why investing SS in the stock market is a horrible idea.

There is tremendous opportunity cost for being highly fearful. Again, using long-term averages, over 50 years, a standard 60/40 allocation between stocks and bonds has generated returns 10x higher than 100% in government bonds.

Sure, if you select what is close to if not the best stock market ever in the history of man, you would get those numbers. Its called selection bias. Look it up. You continue to base you analysis of future return prospects on a sample that is biased in favor of survivors while insisting that rare events simply be discounted as not even relevant to the analysis. Even the stock indexes themselves are biased in favor of survivors.

If productivity growth is 2%, population growth 1% and inflation 3%, then the nominal return on capital will be 6%

What happens when population growth is -5%?

If we have population growth of -5%, then you won't be getting SS either.

You think a lot of your ability to divine the future.
We can think of all sorts of apocalyptic scenarios. I've heard them all. Yet America endures.

-5% population growth is an "apocalyptic scenario" ? I suppose it is if your retirement planning is based on the presumption the population will continue to grow!

Your comment about survivorship bias implies America won't survive.

Actually it in no way implies that one bit.

There is a myth perpetuated in the world of finance that over long periods, the stock market will always net positive returns - some better than others - but it will always at least beat U.S. Treasuries.

This myth is based on the past performance of the U.S. stock market alone. Using on U.S. data creates quite a selection bias, as there is no fundamental reason to believe the future of the U.S. markets could not possibly look like the past markets of nations other than the U.S.

To give an example - look at the Japanese stock market over the past ~25 years. The Nikkei 225 has not even recovered to HALF of what it was before the crash.

The Tosho suffered for years under Keynesian stimulus plans that weighed down the economy. As long as we can keep the idiots that think Keynes supported massive deficits and and government spending from controlling everything here we should be fine.

the U.S. has continued to pay its debts through good times and bad.

Yeah? Well how the hell did we get $13 trillion in the hole??? By paying off our debts???

You're such a goddamn genius, I am sure you can explain this to me. It looks to me like, we've been amassing more and more debt, instead of paying it off.

Yeah, a call option with a strike price of zero.

I've no particular reason to think it will or won't except that for America to continue to have an economy that is growing indefinitely without end would be exceptional and highly unlikely indeed.

Why?

Again, if America stops growing, or there is a catastrophe, why do you think government liabilities are safe?

Did I ever say they would be? If we use your favorite metric, however - the PAST - we would see the U.S. has continued to pay its debts through good times and bad.

I just think any investment strategy that assumes stocks will always out-perform bonds in the long run is fundamentally flawed as it is based on a selective sampling of past data. You might think of any number of investment strategies to deal with this - 50/50 bonds and stocks from around the world, or maybe take some of your funds and put them into something with intrinsic worth like forest or farm land, or perhaps make delta neutral investments that seek to capitalize from movements in the market, or buy commodities. Whatever you do - blindly assuming stocks will always outperform treasuries over ~30 year periods is just fool and social security policy should not be based on it.

There is an economic logic to why equities will do better than government debt or any debt over the long run. It's because in the distribution of returns to capital, bonds get paid first and are thus less risky. Because equity is last to get paid, it's returns are higher to compensate for the risk. Higher risk means higher returns. Lower risk means lower returns. This is a basic tenet of economics and finance. If wealth is growing over long periods of time, stocks will always do better than debt. Equity should do better than real estate and commodities. Over long periods of time, real estate grows at about the rate of the economy, give or take a bit. Commodities are priced over marginal costs, which is influenced by production technologies and substitution effects.

Nobody is saying that SS should be 100% in equities. But it shouldn't be 100% government debt either. I know of no other pension plan in this country that does that. And many countries are now running their SS as real pension plans, with allocations across many asset classes.

There is a myth perpetuated in the world of finance that over long periods, the stock market will always net positive returns - some better than others - but it will always at least beat U.S. Treasuries.

This myth is based on the past performance of the U.S. stock market alone. Using on U.S. data creates quite a selection bias, as there is no fundamental reason to believe the future of the U.S. markets could not possibly look like the past markets of nations other than the U.S.

To give an example - look at the Japanese stock market over the past ~25 years. The Nikkei 225 has not even recovered to HALF of what it was before the crash.

Two words: Warren Buffett

Also, we're not in Japan.

Over long periods of time, asset prices grow with the economy. That may not be true for any decade, or even two or three, but it is over long periods.

And over how many "long periods" is this observation based on?

100 years / 30 years = 3.33333

Barely more than 3.

That's a statistical sample size not even worthy of mention. I think you know that.

In the history of the world, virtually all of the economic growth has occurred on the past 200+ years. So if you want statistical samples, starting in the year 1900, there are 62 discreet 50-year samples. This is statistically significant. In all cases, US stocks have outperformed government debt.

Sure, if you select what is close to if not the best stock market ever in the history of man, you would get those numbers. Its called selection bias. Look it up. You continue to base you analysis of future return prospects on a sample that is biased in favor of survivors while insisting that rare events simply be discounted as not even relevant to the analysis. Even the stock indexes themselves are biased in favor of survivors.

What happens when population growth is -5%?

We can think of all sorts of apocalyptic scenarios. I've heard them all. Yet America endures.

-5% population growth is an "apocalyptic scenario" ? I suppose it is if your retirement planning is based on the presumption the population will continue to grow!

Well, what do you mean by "survivorship bias" then? I've always known it to mean it excludes data that doesn't survive.

As for population growth, again, if the population is shrinking by 5%, you ain't getting your SS, or far less of it, because there are less people paying for more recipients. It's finished.

Bonds? today?

Better off putting your money in a garbage pal in Grand Central Station, far more likely you'll get a return

The government investing SS funds in the stock market is a bad idea because the government will make political, not financially sound, choices (the moral hazard of other people's money).

Individual controlling privatized SS-retirement accounts and making their own investment choices based on their income, wealth, objectives, and risk tolerance is a great idea.

It's too bad the Feds have already spent all of the money and that the lockbox is just filled with IOUs to be paid off by future taxpayers.

Last edited:

Well, what do you mean by "survivorship bias" then? I've always known it to mean it excludes data that doesn't survive.

As for population growth, again, if the population is shrinking by 5%, you ain't getting your SS, or far less of it, because there are less people paying for more recipients. It's finished.

The Ponzi scheme is cratering. We currently have less than 3 taxpayers per SS recipient. When SS started, it was over 40 to 1. Between having to pay for half of someone else's retirement and ObamaCare, and then their student loans, many young people will never be able to afford a family and a home.

We have eaten our seed corn as a society, and the future harvests have disappeared.

There is an economic logic to why equities will do better than government debt or any debt over the long run. It's because in the distribution of returns to capital, bonds get paid first and are thus less risky. Because equity is last to get paid, it's returns are higher to compensate for the risk. Higher risk means higher returns. Lower risk means lower returns. This is a basic tenet of economics and finance. If wealth is growing over long periods of time, stocks will always do better than debt. Equity should do better than real estate and commodities. Over long periods of time, real estate grows at about the rate of the economy, give or take a bit. Commodities are priced over marginal costs, which is influenced by production technologies and substitution effects.

Nobody is saying that SS should be 100% in equities. But it shouldn't be 100% government debt either. I know of no other pension plan in this country that does that. And many countries are now running their SS as real pension plans, with allocations across many asset classes.

The major problem we are having in this debate, is the fact that we are allowing apples compared to oranges, as if they are the same. We don't currently have an investment-based social security system. You do not invest in Social Security, you pay a SSI tax, what amounts to a premium for insurance. Insurance that, when it does finally pay off, is paid in monthly installments, only until you die. You have no "investment" in this system, it is purely a government distributed program, relying on the benevolence of Congress. By the way, Congress has already borrowed and spent all the money in the system, and if you are under 50, there will probably not be a benefit for your contributions at all, by the time you retire. So you would have been much better off investing in the Japanese stock market, and losing half your money, or stuffing your money in a mattress.

The major problem we are having in this debate, is the fact that we are allowing apples compared to oranges, as if they are the same. We don't currently have an investment-based social security system. You do not invest in Social Security, you pay a SSI tax, what amounts to a premium for insurance. Insurance that, when it does finally pay off, is paid in monthly installments, only until you die. You have no "investment" in this system, it is purely a government distributed program, relying on the benevolence of Congress. By the way, Congress has already borrowed and spent all the money in the system, and if you are under 50, there will probably not be a benefit for your contributions at all, by the time you retire. So you would have been much better off investing in the Japanese stock market, and losing half your money, or stuffing your money in a mattress.

Yeah, I get that criticism. I've been around pensions for most of my career, and I've looked at SS. Even though it is a pay-as-you-go system, it mimics a government bond fund. IOW, if rather than acting as a pass-through, it actually bought government bonds, the economics would be the same as the way the SS trusts are debited and credited now.

Every pension fund in America owns government bonds. SS should also. It just shouldn't be invested 100% in government bonds.

Yeah? Well how the hell did we get $13 trillion in the hole??? By paying off our debts???

By spending exceeding revenue. Duh. What are you, a fucking idiot?

You're such a goddamn genius, I am sure you can explain this to me. It looks to me like, we've been amassing more and more debt, instead of paying it off.
Wow - no - clearly - you're the genius.

Why?

Again, if America stops growing, or there is a catastrophe, why do you think government liabilities are safe?

Did I ever say they would be? If we use your favorite metric, however - the PAST - we would see the U.S. has continued to pay its debts through good times and bad.

I just think any investment strategy that assumes stocks will always out-perform bonds in the long run is fundamentally flawed as it is based on a selective sampling of past data. You might think of any number of investment strategies to deal with this - 50/50 bonds and stocks from around the world, or maybe take some of your funds and put them into something with intrinsic worth like forest or farm land, or perhaps make delta neutral investments that seek to capitalize from movements in the market, or buy commodities. Whatever you do - blindly assuming stocks will always outperform treasuries over ~30 year periods is just fool and social security policy should not be based on it.

There is an economic logic to why equities will do better than government debt or any debt over the long run. It's because in the distribution of returns to capital, bonds get paid first and are thus less risky.

You have to assume risk averse investing.
~7% returns over treasuries over 30 year periods assumes extremely risk averse investing.

Take a look at what S&P 500 futures are for June 2014 delivery. I guarantee you they are not even close to 8% higher than the S&P 500 is now. They will in fact be about 2% LOWER than the S&P 500 is now. This is because the market doesn't actually think the S&P 500 will be 8% higher 11 months from now - it actually thinks that the total return will be the same as a U.S. Treasury over the same period.

Higher risk means higher returns. Lower risk means lower returns.
Yet your entire premise is based on the idea that a 30+ year investment in the stock market is actually low risk.

This is a basic tenet of economics and finance.
ONLY IF THE AVERAGE INVESTOR IS RISK AVERSE.

Yet, actually entire areas of finance assume risk neutral investors.
Options pricing, for instance, is entirely based on the assumption of the risk neutral investor.

If wealth is growing over long periods of time, stocks will always do better than debt.
You're making a prediction of the future based on a very tiny sample.
Nobody is saying that SS should be 100% in equities.But it shouldn't be 100% government debt either.

Its not really "in" government debt. Its not like you get an account that accrues debt obligations and if those obligations do well you get more money and if they do less well you get less. Social security is an annuity. Its paid for by social security tax revenues +/- general revenues depending on whether the trust fund is being added to or drawn down.

Two words: Warren Buffett

Congratulations, your survivor bias is so high, you've chosen perhaps the most successful investor of our day as your only sample point.

Also, we're not in Japan.
Are the laws of nature different in Japan?

So we've obviously NOT been paying our debts, if we are spending more than our revenue. We are ACCUMULATING debt, not paying our debt. If you charge $5,000 on your charge card, and pay the minimum $140 monthly payment, you are not paying your debts. That's called FLOATING your debt. When you continue to spend $5,000 and pay $140, you will gain MORE debt, you are NOT paying the debt off.

So if you want statistical samples, starting in the year 1900, there are 62 discreet 50-year samples.

LOL! That's hilarious, Sorry, but if you have 2 samples you don't get a 3rd by taking half of the first and tacking it on to half of the 2nd!

There are 2.065 50 year samples over a 113 year period. DUH

So we've obviously NOT been paying our debts, if we are spending more than our revenue. We are ACCUMULATING debt, not paying our debt. If you charge $5,000 on your charge card, and pay the minimum $140 monthly payment, you are not paying your debts. That's called FLOATING your debt. When you continue to spend $5,000 and pay $140, you will gain MORE debt, you are NOT paying the debt off.

Awesome. You're so smart. You're missing the entire point of this thread.

Well, what do you mean by "survivorship bias" then?

Just look at the S&P 500. Is it a sample of the general stock market over time? No. It doesn't follow the losers to the ground - it drops them from the index!

So its your assertion that its mathematically impossible for the working members of a population to provide the goods and services that the too old to work members of that population needs if the population is decreasing? You are certainly certain of an awful lot!

Yeah, I get that criticism. I've been around pensions for most of my career, and I've looked at SS. Even though it is a pay-as-you-go system, it mimics a government bond fund. IOW, if rather than acting as a pass-through, it actually bought government bonds, the economics would be the same as the way the SS trusts are debited and credited now.

Every pension fund in America owns government bonds. SS should also. It just shouldn't be invested 100% in government bonds.

STILL... Even THAT would be better than what we're currently doing. Which is, pouring our money down a rathole, so cronies like Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, and even John McCain can "appropriate" it for their latest boondoggle. At least, we would have SOMETHING there, when it came time to retire.

Forum List

Back