Why is america so homophobic?

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
The USA today seems to be getting increasingly homophobic. What drives this when global attitude seems to be leaning more tolerant?
However it is considered that the pro-gay rights movement is a western phenomenon.
What did happen to the tolerant states?
ea57ce79aeff7b3ff1f4903c662029f3.jpeg

The USA today seems to be getting increasingly homophobic. What drives this when global attitude seems to be leaning more tolerant?
However it is considered that the pro-gay rights movement is a western phenomenon.

I was not aware that any such movement toward homophobia existed. Especially since more states than ever before support gay marriage. By what measurement do you claim otherwise?

This country has always been homophobic. It's not a new phenomenon. It is I believe part of our national cultural obsession with sex in general.

Anyone who leaves here to go visit a foreign country notices it immediately, like a shroud being lifted off one's shoulders. Why that is -- I'm not a shrink so I'm not qualified to say. But it's very obviously present.

Give me a break, gay marriage will be legal nationwide within 10 years.

We're far less homophobic than we were 50 years ago.

It is the last frontier in civil rights and the haters do not want to let it go. For years they have been the last group that they could get away with openly discriminating against. Guess the haters will have to find someone else to treat like dirt now.

We are a lot more tolerant than we use to be. Certainly more so than many places in the world today.

It is the last frontier in civil rights and the haters do not want to let it go. For years they have been the last group that they could get away with openly discriminating against. Guess the haters will have to find someone else to treat like dirt now.

Most people I know could care less about gays, we wouldn't even know they were around if they didn't make such a spectacle of themselves seeking attention. It's all about the votes, the government could care less about anything else

It's just the last gasp for uptight losers. The noise you hear is just whining. It will all be over soon.

A lot of people feel threatened by what other consenting adults choose to do together and want to curtail the very same rights the straights take for granted.

We've made progress but there will always be those make excuses for their fear and hate.

I say, we just keep dragging them into the 21st century.

Last edited:
Because we love gathering in town square and throwing gays off buildings! Oh wait, we don't do that. You're seriously worried about the US here? Get some fucking perspective.

Most people I know could care less about gays, we wouldn't even know they were around if they didn't make such a spectacle of themselves seeking attention. It's all about the votes, the government could care less about anything else
The negative reaction to marriage equality by the right says they care very deeply about keeping them 2nd class citizens.

Several of these posts speak of politics and "rights" and activism. That's not the question in the OP.

"Homophobia" is a cultural value. What the laws are or what someone's legal rights are don't address that.
The question as worded is on national psychology -- not national politics.

The negative reaction to marriage equality by the right says they care very deeply about keeping them 2nd class citizens.

Pfffftttt that's just more seeking attention, homos see a bogey man lurking everywhere

Forum List

Back