Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

there's another real life example in the news this week..the type which the anti-pc crowd love to cry about.

an nba player in the heat of the moment, as he was being ejected from the game by a ref, the player lashed out and called the ref a fucking faggot. which could hypothetically happen to any ref but this ref just so happens to be homosexual.

everyone who heard it was like, whoa did he really just say that..? to him??

naturally social media, as an organic microcosm of human reaction to current events, was atwittah with opinions of the player who made the slur. the player eventually made a public apology for the slur.

Rondo deeply sorry for gay slur to ref

this is what some people are offended over as too "PC".

back in the day people could call others fucking faggots in public and those were the days!

the rabid anti-pc crowd long for the good old days when no one said a peep over such slurs.

aww isn't the PC so awful and oppressive.. well, too fucking bad!

Where did someone say this apology was too PC ?
First 3 comments of the first site I looked at.

The Kings' Rajon Rondo offers a new apology for using homophobic slur

elephant 3

He was out of line to go off on the man on the court.. but if he feels that way, then grow balls and admit it. Everyone has a right to feel the way they do on this subject.

finfantilend

it never ceases to amaze me how people get so offended by words
there's another real life example in the news this week..the type which the anti-pc crowd love to cry about.

an nba player in the heat of the moment, as he was being ejected from the game by a ref, the player lashed out and called the ref a fucking faggot. which could hypothetically happen to any ref but this ref just so happens to be homosexual.

everyone who heard it was like, whoa did he really just say that..? to him??

naturally social media, as an organic microcosm of human reaction to current events, was atwittah with opinions of the player who made the slur. the player eventually made a public apology for the slur.

this is what some people are offended over as too "PC".

back in the day people could call others fucking faggots in public and those were the days!

the rabid anti-pc crowd long for the good old days when no one said a peep over such slurs.

aww isn't the PC so awful and oppressive.. well, too fucking bad!

will always be hate in this world. agree that the law should protect from violence and hate crimes..but to protect from words? waah. mature adults acting like elementary kids. don't want to hurt anyones little feelings! isn't this the same country that has the ugliest dog contest? wow, thats not very friendly to the poor dog who can't control how he looks.

Hairy Bagel

This dumb politically correct b.s. has to end sometime. If the ref wasnt gay would he be owed an apology? If the ref wasnt gay and he called him names but not gay slurs would be even talking about this? Who cares. Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you remember? What is the big deal enough of this nonsense already.

Have you sent the ref some flowers to help him recover. If you really cared you would.
No. Why would I send flowers to someone I dont know?

thanks, asclepias.. i wasn't about to go searching..

imo it is obvious and any denial of such is patently disingenuous...

The answer to the OP question depends on how we define what is and what is not deemed "politically correct."

Here is but one example:

When police have shot and killed some black criminal suspects, the roar from the crowd (not just blacks, either) goes up "Black lives matter!"

Well duh. OF COURSE black lives matter. So do the lives of police officers and whites and Latinos and Asians and so forth.

It is so crystal clear, in fact, that "ALL lives matter" that a Democrat candidate even verbalized that absolutely obvious sentiment using that very phrase. He said "All lives matter." (Martin O'Malley said it.)

He got immediately and roundly and soundly castigated by the liberal hordes.

It got so bad that he found it "necessary" to APOLOGIZE for having had the temerity to SAY it.

-- O'Malley apologizes for saying 'all lives matter' - CNNPolitics.com

When we have reached a point that political correctness somehow compels an "apology" for saying something that is flatly true, then political correctness is itself a thing that needs to go.

I defined politically correct for you. If you dont agree with the definition then your replies are of no interest to me.

politically correct
adjective
demonstrating progressive ideals, esp by avoiding vocabulary that is considered offensive, discriminatory, or judgmental, esp concerning race and gender PC

thanks, asclepias.. i wasn't about to go searching..

imo it is obvious and any denial of such is patently disingenuous...

Bah---the worlds is just sick of all the PC shit in general.
No. The only people sick of PC are people with an issue with being obnoxious and/or they lack the intellect to converse in a manner that facilitates conversation.

The only reason communication fails when a non PC word is involved is because person who is supposedly offended stops communicating. They know perfectly well what the speaker means.

The answer to the OP question depends on how we define what is and what is not deemed "politically correct."

Here is but one example:

When police have shot and killed some black criminal suspects, the roar from the crowd (not just blacks, either) goes up "Black lives matter!"

Well duh. OF COURSE black lives matter. So do the lives of police officers and whites and Latinos and Asians and so forth.

It is so crystal clear, in fact, that "ALL lives matter" that a Democrat candidate even verbalized that absolutely obvious sentiment using that very phrase. He said "All lives matter." (Martin O'Malley said it.)

It got so bad that he found it "necessary" to APOLOGIZE for having had the temerity to SAY it.

When we have reached a point that political correctness somehow compels an "apology" for saying something that is flatly true, then political correctness is itself a thing that needs to go.

I defined politically correct for you. If you dont agree with the definition then your replies are of no interest to me.

politically correct
adjective
demonstrating progressive ideals, esp by avoiding vocabulary that is considered offensive, discriminatory, or judgmental, esp concerning race and gender PC

I went back as you edited to re-read your OP. No.

You had NOT defined "politically correct."

I then returned here to reply to your post, and see that you have edited, now, your response to my last post.

NOW you have defined PC.

The EXAMPLE I used is damn well an example of PC by YOUR daffynition.

And your definition is highly subjective anyway (i.e., what is or is not considered "offensive" is obviously a product of your preconceived notions).

As to whether my response to your question is of interest to you or not, I am indifferent to that.

You can address the point made or you can deflect. Either way, it's fine by me.

The only reason communication fails when a non PC word is involved is because person who is supposedly offended stops communicating. They know perfectly well what the speaker means.
You claimed before you could read minds and I proved you wrong. How many times are you going to try the same tactic?

Here is but one example:

politically correct
adjective

I then returned here to reply to your post, and see that you have edited, now, your response to my last post.

NOW you have defined PC.

And your definition is highly subjective anyway (i.e., what is or is not considered "offensive" is obviously a product of your preconceived notions).

As to whether my response to your question is of interest to you or not, I am indifferent to that.

I didnt say I defined it in the OP. I said I defined it for you. Post #16

I actually didnt read the rest of your post so I missed your example. Your example is an illustration of a lack of knowledge regarding the term Black Lives Matters. Has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

You claimed before you could read minds and I proved you wrong. How many times are you going to try the same tactic?
Lie......I never claimed I could read minds. Lying is an impediment to communication.

I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

1. No off topic comments. Please address the question.
2. Be able to prove your position using common sense. No links
People do tend to overdo PC at times.

Lie......I never claimed I could read minds. Lying is an impediment to communication.
You just claimed "they know perfectly well".. How do you know this if you are not reading their minds?

I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

1. No off topic comments. Please address the question.
2. Be able to prove your position using common sense. No links
How can you be too PC if you are trying to communicate with someone?

Here is but one example:

politically correct
adjective

NOW you have defined PC.

And you think people wade through all of the posts in one of your threads to find the one or two nuggets which may possibly have some hint of value?

No.

Here's the way it works. I read your OP. No definition there. YOU then said you had defined it. Ok. But it was not clear WHERE you had defined it.

Then, once you HAD defined it (in a later post, nice and clear) I disputed THAT definition too.

Also, even AS you attempt to define it, it remains highly subjective;

and my example of PC gone amok is still fully on point.

So, I have now answered your OP question. PC is crap when a guy like O'Malley finds it necessary to "apologize" for having said something simple, obvious and truthful.

You just claimed "they know perfectly well".. How do you know this if you are not reading their minds?

Experience and observation of reality. Do we have to do the Midget game again ?

Here is but one example:

politically correct
adjective

NOW you have defined PC.

And you think people wade through all of the posts in one of your threads to find the one or two nuggets which may possibly have some hint of value?

No.

Here's the way it works. I read your OP. No definition there. YOU then said you had defined it. Ok. But it was not clear WHERE you had defined it.

Then, once you HAD defined it (in a later post, nice and clear) I disputed THAT definition too.

Also, even AS you attempt to define it, it remains highly subjective;

and my example of PC gone amok is still fully on point.

So, I have now answered your OP question. PC is crap when a guy like O'Malley finds it necessary to "apologize" for having said something simple, obvious and truthful.
No thats not how it works. I said I defined it and provided the definition for you again in hopes of an intelligent reply. Thats how it works.

I'm not concerned with what you dispute. I'm concerned with an intelligent reply under the definition I posted.

Nothing you have said is on point to this point.

O'Malley apologized because he was educated to what the term Black Lives Matters actually means.

How can you be too PC if you are trying to communicate with someone?

One can communicate well without resorting to arcane ways of saying things that serve no valid purpose other than to assuage unduly and easily ruffled feathers.

But if you have to resort to the PC manner of communication, that by definition is TOO PC.

My former boss is NOT "vertically challenged." He is just very short.

I am not melanin challenged. I am a serious shade of off white.

when a player calls the ref a fucking faggot, that's successful communication?

Forum List

Back