Why is Building the Wall Wrong?

No, I dislike illegals. Regular immigrants are cool.

Then we can surely count on you to increase (or remove) immigration quotas and bureaucratic barriers to legal immigration, right?
Why increase them? How big IS your family? :biggrin:

So, I guess you don't think immigrants aren't THAT cool. ;)
The government sets quotas based on several factors. If they decide we need more, then ok. But not just because of nothing.

Then we can surely count on you to increase (or remove) immigration quotas and bureaucratic barriers to legal immigration, right?

The government sets quotas based on several factors. If they decide we need more, then ok. But not just because of nothing.

Our laws should protect freedom, not privilege.

What does that have to do with quotas?

Quotas limit freedom. That's the point of imposing them.

I've never called for a halt to immigration, I do however think it is necessary to raise the quality of immigrants. They need to have skills that we need, they have to demonstrate they can support themselves. We can't continue to bring in impoverished, uneducated people who drop a kid and go immediately on welfare and food stamps and they don't tend to assimilate. I saw a man interviewed on the local news that had been in the country 23 years, he had to speak though an interpreter, he was here illegally.

If they can support themselves, all that means is that they will be taking a job from an American. We don't need any more immigrants, period, educated or not.

We have 9 million jobs available now, and you seem to have skipped over them having skills we need.

If you want wages to go up, then you need to restrict the supply of labor. Expanding the supply of labor can't fail to make wages go down or remain stagnant.

You want businesses to flourish and be able to expand, they need to be able to fill positions with qualified people to do that. Merit based immigration is a win win for the country. This thing we're doing now is a big negative.

No, business need to pay more than for slave, illegal labor. I thought the left was all about fair pay for a days work?

-Geaux

Simple, jail the business owners that hire them But the post you replied to had nothing to do with illegals.

I've never called for a halt to immigration, I do however think it is necessary to raise the quality of immigrants. They need to have skills that we need, they have to demonstrate they can support themselves. We can't continue to bring in impoverished, uneducated people who drop a kid and go immediately on welfare and food stamps and they don't tend to assimilate. I saw a man interviewed on the local news that had been in the country 23 years, he had to speak though an interpreter, he was here illegally.
A better class of immigrants would be highly desirable. The problem of course is people with good job skills and education are the least likely to immigrate. However, I think there are things than can be done to encourage a better class of immigrants.
  • First we need to increase the number of visas for highly educated workers. There are not near enough to meet demand. Many students with post graduate degrees and experience in engineer and science are turned down every year because of their country of origin.
  • Second, we need to tell the world that we want and need educated skilled workers. We don't care about your country of origin, your race, or your religion. We are looking for well educated, skilled workers that can be an asset to America.
  • We need to restrict family immigration to the immediate family. Other immigration should be based on merit and limits should be raised.
Assimilation is a slow process. Typically taking several generation. First generation immigrants rarely assimilate. They learn what they need to learn to make a living in the US and to function in society. Second generation becomes the hyphen generation. Thrid generation approaches what Americans think of as assimilation.
The one thing we don't need is more H1-B visas. This country is flooded with high tech workers from India. wages in my field haven't increased for the last 15 years. Yeah, software companies keep talking about shortages, but that's because they like cheap labor.

Heh... cry me a river. Software pays quite well. We don't need the phony protectionism.
I have no idea what phone protectionism is. Controlling immigration is not protectionism. I fail to understand why anyone would support importing millions of people to compete for their jobs. Only a certifiable idiot would support that.

What sort of idiot demands their government protect them from competition? Certainly not an advocate of free markets.
Anyone with half a brain doesn't want the government importing workers from the third world willing to do the same job for 1/3 the price. Do you really think that's smart?

Uncontrolled immigration and the free market are two separate things.

Foreigners are no more a part of the free market than unions are. We have a pretty successful supply and demand process providing somebody doesn't throw a monkey wrench into the system. Cheating the system is hardly free market.

Pretty ironic that you criticize unions, given that the protectionism you're clamoring for is exactly the kind of things unions demand. Hungry people willing to do your job for less IS the free market.
When the left is using that free market as some kind of ideal, you know they are full of shit.

quotas on foreign labor don't limit my freedom in any way.

A- Cost prohibitive
B- Won't work
C- It's racist
D- It would reduce those successfully crossing the border
E- None of the Above

The machine benefits by not having a wall. Business (Republicans) get their cheap labor and (Democrats) get the votes

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours

There is no excuse for the Republicans not funding the wall.

-Geaux
According to the Democrats they will lose immigrant support and possibly never win an election

If you want to cross the border they do. If you, and some of the other wall cowards here, get your way, our nation will become a police state where everyone is under suspicion of "being illegal". Do you remember back when you used to think of yourself as a libertarian?

If you want to cross the border they do. If you, and some of the other wall cowards here, get your way, our nation will become a police state where everyone is under suspicion of "being illegal". Do you remember back when you used to think of yourself as a libertarian?

A wall (that most Americans will never see) is going to do all that.......huh? :102:

A wall (that most Americans will never see) is going to do all that.......huh? :102:

We were talking about quotas. Please pay attention.

You mean they limit the freedom of foreigners to take a big crap on America? Why should I be against that?

Enforcing immigration laws will make the US into a police state?

Do you numskulls read this idiotic shit before you post it?

No, quotas make sure we don’t get swamped and protect our freedom to choose who comes in.

You mean they limit the freedom of foreigners to take a big crap on America? Why should I be against that?

Because when government violates freedom, it does so for everyone. This is the concept you couldn't get through your head in the "war" on terror nonsense. This is why the Constitution doesn't limit protections to citizens.

Coming from someone who lives in a totally shit city.

We can end these threads now. Trump says the wall is just about finished.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
Mexico is paying for the Wall through the new USMCA Trade Deal. Much of the Wall has already been fully renovated or built. We have done a lot of work. $5.6 Billion Dollars that House has approved is very little in comparison to the benefits of National Security. Quick payback!

5:35 AM - 2 Jan 2019
And the wall has stopped illegal immigration. Problem solved. Once again Donald has saved America.

Forum List

Back