Why is the gay community afraid of "conversion therapy"?

Conversion therapy (also known as reparative therapy) is a range of treatments that aim to change sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual. Such treatments have been criticized for being pseudo-scientific.
Conversion therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The major premise of conversion therapy advocates is that majority of homosexuals are NOT genetically pre-disposed but a learned behavior.

So if the gay community believes so strongly that there is a "I gotta be me" genetic coding that pre-disposes a person to homosexuality why are they so afraid?

So afraid that "conversion therapy aimed at turning gay kids straight will soon be illegal in California, with the state's governor declaring he hopes a new law will relegate such efforts "to the dustbin of quackery."
This bill bans non-scientific 'therapies' that have driven young people to depression and suicide," Brown tweeted. "These practices have no basis in science or medicine."
California governor OKs ban on gay conversion therapy, calling it 'quackery' - CNN.com

Why is there such angst about something that a gay MUST be?

I have NO doubt some "suicides" but HOW MANY ? Where are the facts Mr. Brown?

People are gay for two reasons:
1) they truly were born with a genetic pre-disposition to homosexuality
2) The behavior is learned.

Those are the ONLY two ways that a homosexual IS a homosexual.

I would like anyone to refute that.

OK. First of all there is a consensus amongst medical and mental health professionals that homosexuality is NOT a learned behavior. Is not about genetics either. It is about brain chemistry. The same place where gender dysphoria comes from. It can also manifest itself in people who have had traumatic childhood sexual abuse but, in most cases, it is about how one's brain is wired.

That being said, this link will educate you:

The Lies and Dangers of Efforts to Change Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity | Resources | Human Rights Campaign

Conversion therapy (also known as reparative therapy) is a range of treatments that aim to change sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual. Such treatments have been criticized for being pseudo-scientific.
Conversion therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The major premise of conversion therapy advocates is that majority of homosexuals are NOT genetically pre-disposed but a learned behavior.

So if the gay community believes so strongly that there is a "I gotta be me" genetic coding that pre-disposes a person to homosexuality why are they so afraid?

So afraid that "conversion therapy aimed at turning gay kids straight will soon be illegal in California, with the state's governor declaring he hopes a new law will relegate such efforts "to the dustbin of quackery."
This bill bans non-scientific 'therapies' that have driven young people to depression and suicide," Brown tweeted. "These practices have no basis in science or medicine."
California governor OKs ban on gay conversion therapy, calling it 'quackery' - CNN.com

Why is there such angst about something that a gay MUST be?

I have NO doubt some "suicides" but HOW MANY ? Where are the facts Mr. Brown?

People are gay for two reasons:
1) they truly were born with a genetic pre-disposition to homosexuality
2) The behavior is learned.

Those are the ONLY two ways that a homosexual IS a homosexual.

I would like anyone to refute that.

As is generally the case the OP on this thread has strayed off in several different directions. The OP being Conversion therapy.

Conversion therapy, Ex Gay or reparative therapy is primarily promoted by the mental health organization, NARTH. NARTH teaches that homosexuality is abnormal, unnatural,undesirable and changeable sexual behavior.

Complete data on conversion theapy is quite often withheld or suppressed. This makes the actual success rate of conversion therapy difficult to guage with any real degree of accuracy. However, several studies have revealed sufficient data which can be utilized to arrive at crude estimate of the conversion success rate:

Studies on conversion therapy for unwanted homosexual attractions yield varying success rates, ranging from 30%-70%, these rates are no different than success rates for other therapeutic practices - However the other therapeutic practices, such as substance abuse and assorted phobias and fetishes are not politically incorrect - criticizing the Gay Agenda and lifestyle is.

A key word in the preceding statement is "unwanted homosexual attractions" - as is the case with other therapeutic practices - treating somebody who doesn't want to be treated and believes they are confortable with their malady is statistically doomed to failure

Being politically charged , politically correct science [Bad Science] will frequently totally disregard the facts, and the agenda of he who shouts the loudest wins.

Socio-Fascists are currently blatantly promoting homosexuality, it is surmised as part of Big Brothers concerted effort to expedite the disintegration of the family structure and reduce the surplus population/ curtail population growth.

So Why is the gay community afraid of "conversion therapy"

It is an admission that their sexual dysphoria -homosexuality is abnormal and something which needs to be treated. If there is no disease , there should not be a need for a cure .
The succes of Conversion Therapy, is the failure of the Gay Agenda - it flies in the face of their ideological agenda and propaganda.

Conversion Therapy is far from the voo-doo quackery preached by the politically correct socio-fascists and useful idiots - it is a viable and effective method of treating a psychologiocally degenerative disease - Homosexuality

NARTH is a religiously motivated, propagandist organization that has zero credibility in the world of psychology.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2012/spring/queer-science

National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the Wiki:

Position of professional organizations on sexual orientation change efforts
Main article: Sexual orientation change efforts

In 2009 an American Psychological Association research summary[29] included the following statements:

The longstanding consensus of the behavioral and social sciences and the health and mental health professions is that homosexuality per se is a normal and positive variation of human sexual orientation.

SOCE [sexual orientation change efforts] has been controversial due to tensions between the values held by some faith-based organizations, on the one hand, and those held by lesbian, gay and bisexual rights organizations and professional and scientific organizations, on the other.

There are no studies of adequate scientific rigor to conclude whether recent SOCE do work to change a person’s sexual orientation.

Some individuals and groups have promoted the idea of homosexuality as symptomatic of developmental defects or spiritual and moral failings and have argued that SOCE, including psychotherapy and religious efforts, could alter homosexual feelings and behaviors. Many of these individuals and groups appeared to be embedded within the larger context of conservative religious political movements that have supported the stigmatization of homosexuality on political or religious grounds.

No major mental health professional organization has sanctioned efforts to change sexual orientation and most of them have adopted policy statements cautioning the profession and the public about treatments that purport to change sexual orientation. These include the American Psychiatric Association, American Psychological Association, American Counseling Association, National Association of Social Workers in the USA,[30] Royal College of Psychiatrists,[31] and Australian Psychological Society.[32]

The American Psychological Association and the Royal College of Psychiatrists expressed concerns that the positions espoused by NARTH are not supported by science and create an environment in which prejudice and discrimination can flourish.[31][33]

Last edited:

how would you feel about conversion therapy to force you to like men sexually?

not so hot, right?

of course, it would be amusing to try.... right?

The gay community has no need to discuss "conversion therapy"

The hetero-fascist community has no moral right to discuss "conversion therapy"
Jake, you're so right about that! There is no need for Gays and Lesbians to change the way they were born and the way they are and whom they love. But you also have to realize that the "hetero-fascist community", great term for them by the way, has to keep harping away on this one issue because that's all they have. They can't solve the problems of this country, they have no new ideas for moving the country forward, so all they know is obstructionism and they excel at that! So, they pick on a minority group, Blacks, Latinos and Hispanics included, and they find people who oppose those folks also and who are unfortunately as narrow-minded as they are who will blindly follow them like the pied piper since their mentality apparently knows no better, being cut pretty much from the same fabric. Never mind the harm they are doing to those groups, they are only after them for the votes they hope to get from them and then it's Adios Amigos!

Last edited:
The only reason conservatives push for gay conversion therapy is because they are deathly afraid of homosexuals.

????

1. Then why has the Gay "Log Cabin Republicans" been a successful membership, outreach and lobbying group for 30 years?

Why aren't they banned or kicked out?
Even the Democrats gave up on a candidate that was LaRouchian, and voted to exclude from procedures in the convention.

2. Why did the Republicans agree to change the traditional platform to REMOVE
the language against "homosexuality" and change it to "sexual sins" that are unraveling the fabric of society.

How did THAT get removed from the platform?

[MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION] people can be AGAINST "progay politics" and NOT be anti-gay.

There are GAYS who are against the gay politics that are discriminatory and going too far.

Are you implying that if these GAYS are against political legislation
then they are AFRAID of GAYS?
What's wrong with being against the POLITICS imposing bad laws!

There is a HUGE difference!

I'm also against bad laws whether these are too biased prochoice or prolife and aren't fair or effective, but damaging.
I'm not FOR abortion and I'm not AGAINST choice.
I'm against the biased political abuses "excluding or dividing" these groups,
which I believe ALL deserve equal treatment and inclusion under law.

So anything discriminatory and punitive, I oppose and want replaced with better laws
that people AGREE are well written and solve problems instead of creating more conflict!

Thanks, Noomi!

Last edited:
God let go of them and let them do all these evil things, so that even their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men and, as a result, Romans 1:24-27 TAKE SPECIAL NOTE== SEXUAL PERVERTS=Getting paid within their own souls with the penalty they so richly deserved.

It seeks to propagate the ignorant, hateful lie that being gay is a "mental illness" or something to be "cured," when in fact it is not

Whoa two birds with one stone
[MENTION=49463]PoliticalTorch[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION]

Do you want to set up a Bullring challenge:
* that there IS a natural therapy for recovery from sexual abuse that
has effectively changed people's orientations to whatever is NATURAL for them.
* that this discussion and distinction between ABUSIVE FRAUDULENT practice
and NATURAL HEALING that is consistent with science and medicine as beneficial
IS a positive subject for exploration, RESEARCH, and understanding for the public?

If I challenge both of you at the same time,
and if I can prove that there IS BENEFIT to both
* NATURAL spiritual healing and recovery therapy (NOT fraudulent forced or abusive practices that the EFFECTIVE METHODS demonstrate the DIFFERENCE between)
* and the DISCUSSION, RESEARCH and PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE of this difference

Will you both agree to post a public apology for your misjudgment and misconception
of the DIFFERENCE between natural spiritual healing versus fraudulent harmful practices.

I have some websites set up, where I could feature your statements and explanations.
I am ready to promote research into the DIFFERENCE between natural therapy and unnatural abuses.

Would you two care to step into the Bullring
if you truly believe there is no truth to what I offer?

The gay community has no need to discuss "conversion therapy"

The hetero-fascist community has no moral right to discuss "conversion therapy"
Jake, you're so right about that! There is no need for Gays and Lesbians to change the way they were born and the way they are and whom they love. But you also have to realize that the "hetero-fascist community", great term for them by the way, has to keep harping away on this one issue because that's all they have. They can't solve the problems of this country, they have no new ideas for moving the country forward, so all they know is obstructionism and they excel at that! So, they pick on a minority group, Blacks, Latinos and Hispanics included, and they find people who oppose those folks also and who are unfortunately as narrow-minded as they are who will blindly follow them like the pied piper since their mentality apparently knows no better, being cut pretty much from the same fabric. Never mind the harm they are doing to those groups, they are only after them for the votes they hope to get from them and then it's Adios Amigos!

LITTLE perverts!!! ALMIGHTY GOD MAKES THE RULES,NOT YOU!!!! ===God let go of them and let them do all these evil things, so that even their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men and, as a result, Romans 1:24-27 TAKE SPECIAL NOTE== SEXUAL PERVERTS=Getting paid within their own souls with the penalty they so richly deserved.

God let go of them and let them do all these evil things, so that even their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men and, as a result, Romans 1:24-27 TAKE SPECIAL NOTE== SEXUAL PERVERTS=Getting paid within their own souls with the penalty they so richly deserved.

And here's an example of that ignorance and hate.

It seeks to propagate the ignorant, hateful lie that being gay is a "mental illness" or something to be "cured," when in fact it is not

[MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION]

If PoliticalTorch and JakeStarkey decline my invitation,
would you agree to step in? See above, thanks!

I am saying there is a DIFFERENCE between
natural therapy and unnatural abuses.

And that this discussion of the DIFFERENCE, and the research required to clarify it,
is beneficial to the public to have understanding and knowledge of.

Anyone else?
As many people as want to take on this challenge,
the more the merrier!

If this challenge goes public, I will ask help from the
Log Cabin Republicans to set up national forums to expand on this discussion,
on the DIFFERENCE between "natural and unnatural" and what distinguishes both.

A very important concept to establish!
There are no losers, everyone will win and benefit from the answers we share.

Emily, you believe it all you want.

It is not worth debating, anymore than the earth does not revolve around the sun.

Good heavens.

LITTLE perverts!!! ALMIGHTY GOD MAKES THE RULES,NOT YOU!!!! ===God let go of them and let them do all these evil things, so that even their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men and, as a result, Romans 1:24-27 TAKE SPECIAL NOTE== SEXUAL PERVERTS=Getting paid within their own souls with the penalty they so richly deserved.

Please be it noted, Dear GISMYS
that the same deep level of divine "forgiveness" required to heal whatever
causes unnatural sexual sins addictions or abuses
ALSO would heal you and your words of your negative tone!

So whatever it is that you seek to get rid of,
it also shows in your words.

Please speak the truth with love, and leave the rest to the Lord.
It is not our place to judge and reject, which only begets same judgment and rejection.

Do not celebrate or gloat in such "inequity"
1 Corinthians 13:6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

The more you depart from "lack of love," and embrace God's love which rises above adverse conditions, the more you inspire others to do the same. In this, I support you!
My prayers that you are uplifted even more than before, and not tied to the ways of the past that have defeated your higher purpose, [MENTION=42952]GISMYS[/MENTION].

Please be it noted, Dear GISMYS
that the same deep level of divine "forgiveness" required to heal whatever
causes unnatural sexual sins addictions or abuses
ALSO would heal you and your words of your negative tone!

So whatever it is that you seek to get rid of,
it also shows in your words.

Please speak the truth with love, and leave the rest to the Lord.
It is not our place to judge and reject, which only begets same judgment and rejection.

Do not celebrate or gloat in such "inequity"
1 Corinthians 13:6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

The more you depart from "lack of love," and embrace God's love which rises above adverse conditions, the more you inspire others to do the same. In this, I support you!
My prayers that you are uplifted even more than before, and not tied to the ways of the past that have defeated your higher purpose, [MENTION=42952]GISMYS[/MENTION].

SO YOU WANT TO SAY THE WORD OF GOD TO HELL BOUND SEXUAL PERVERTS IS TOO NEGATIVE??? THINK AGAIN!!!===God let go of them and let them do all these evil things, so that even their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men and, as a result, getting paid within their own souls with the penalty they so richly deserved.

Emily, you believe it all you want.

It is not worth debating, anymore than the earth does not revolve around the sun.

Good heavens.

The same methods of "natural healing" can be proven by medical science
to cure cancer, schizophrenia, and other mental and physical illness.

Are you sure that is not worth researching?
Even if it would save lives or
"might save lives if it were true"
you would still dismiss it, assuming it is false.

Even if lives could be saved, you wouldn't recommend research in any such possibility?
Wow! Even an Atheist I know who hates Christians more than anything,
agreed to look into medical research.

Are you that closeminded by politics? What makes you object so absolutely
without even considering the research that is already done and can be furthered?

I would love even to know that, Jake.
What makes the difference between people willing to look at research
and people who already assume they know it all. Wow! Very curious.

I think knowing this difference would be important in politics
in order to manage conflict resolution and "equal presentation" within "due process."

If we knew why and which factors cause negotiations to break down,
this could help perfect our democratic process!
Thanks Jake sorry you don't see or agree with anything I'm saying.
That's even a good point to explore!
Why does this happen? and can it be resolved?
(I might add this to the list as a third point,
to give you a third chance not to strike out completely on all points)

SO YOU WANT TO SAY THE WORD OF GOD TO HELL BOUND SEXUAL PERVERTS IS TOO NEGATIVE??? THINK AGAIN!!!===God let go of them and let them do all these evil things, so that even their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men and, as a result, getting paid within their own souls with the penalty they so richly deserved.

Not at all my good GISMYS

I mean your spirit and temperament of YOUR WORDS is not "speaking the truth with God's perfect love"

You still impose some bias from personal "unforgiveness" or "fear" that God does not have.
Only Christ could speak and act perfectly with the will of God with no separation or bias.
He alone is perfect.

The rest of us have to "agree in Christ" for that spirit to speak through us.
In Christ we are made perfect and whole. We must reach agreement in Christ first, for that Justice and Truth to be established. Until then, we all fall short, you and I included.

There is still some bias separating you from speaking the words of God in the same spirit in which they are intended.
You still have some of your own will and ways in there. Your own fears that are not perfect in love as God is yet.

None of us is perfect. There is only one Righteous, only one Mediator between us and God.
Your words are not perfect, your words are not a substitute, but will fall short
like all other people on the planet. We are equal in Christ, but none of us is equal to Him.

Last edited:

Not at all my good GISMYS

I mean your spirit and temperament of YOUR WORDS is not "speaking the truth with God's perfect love"

You still impose some bias from personal "unforgiveness" or "fear" that God does not have.
Only Christ could speak and act perfectly with the will of God with no separation or bias.

The rest of us have to "agree in Christ" for that spirit to speak through us.
In Christ we are made perfect and whole.

There is still some bias separating you from speaking the words of God in the same spirit in which they are intended. You still have some of your own will and ways in there.

None of us is perfect. There is only one Righteous, only one Mediator between us and God.
Your words are not perfect, your words are not a substitute, but will fall short
like all other people on the planet. We are equal in Christ, but none of us is equal to Him.

YOU ARE FREE TO HAVE YOUR OPINION BUT I REJECT YOUR OPINION,YOU ARE NOT MY JUDGE,GOD IS OUR ONLY JUDGE!!! PLEASE GOD NOT little man!!! === You can see that I am not trying to please you by sweet talk and flattery; no, I am trying to please God. If I were still trying to please men I could not be Christ’s servant. Galations 1:10

When the research has come down solidly on one side or the other, the refusal to accept that, as you have, is merely immoral stubbornness.

I will leave you to it.

Last edited:
YOU ARE FREE TO HAVE YOUR OPINION BUT I REJECT YOUR OPINION,YOU ARE NOT MY JUDGE,GOD IS OUR ONLY JUDGE!!! PLEASE GOD NOT little man!!! === You can see that I am not trying to please you by sweet talk and flattery; no, I am trying to please God. If I were still trying to please men I could not be Christ’s servant. Galations 1:10

You have judged yourself with your own judgment, GISMYS.

You have judged yourself with your own judgment, GISMYS.

GET BEHIND ME SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can see that I am not trying to please you by sweet talk and flattery; no, I am trying to please God. If I were still trying to please men I could not be Christ’s servant.

Forum List

Back