🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why Must We Abandon Our Religious Beliefs to Operate A Business?

That's strictly your opinion. However, there is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that states citizens must abandon their religious beliefs when doing business. Christophobic bigot.
Only if you appeal to ignorance in a vacuum of special pleading. Everyone has a First Amendment, not just bakers.
You're confused here. You can't force anyone to deny their religious beliefs.

And when is anyone being forced to deny their religious beliefs? By baking a cake? Your religious views are still intact. No one is saying you can't believe as you believe. But there are laws against discrimination by businesses. You are not participating in the same sex wedding. You are not even condoning the wedding. You were hired to bake a cake. You would bake a cake for adulterers. And that is listed in the 10 Commandments.
No, the baker wasn't hired by the queers. That's a lie. The queers targeted the Christian and tried to force him to submit to something he doesn't believe in. Now go ahead and prove your accusation that the baker would sell a cake condoning adultery. Your fantasy isn't reality. Go ahead, prove it.

If you have a business that is open to the public there are laws against discrimination. Just like white restaurants have to serve black patrons. The owners may not believe in mixing of the races. They can have those beliefs in their private life. But a business open to the public cannot discriminate according to the laws.

It doesn't matter if they targeted a Christian baker. The Christian baker has a business license and is required to follow the laws. What made it a huge deal is the fact that the baker pitched a hissy fit. If they had simply baked a cake, collected the money, and ignored whatever nonsense was involved, it would not have been anything but a business transaction. The baker has a business license to bake cakes for money. There is no religious belief involves in baking a cake. It does not mean they participated in the wedding or condoned anything.

You don't think they have had any customers say this was their 2nd marriage? Or had a pregnant woman buy a wedding cake?
Bullcorn. My private life and beliefs aren't suspended when I open a business. Peddle that crap to some naive college kids. You don't get it.

Only if you appeal to ignorance in a vacuum of special pleading. Everyone has a First Amendment, not just bakers.

And when is anyone being forced to deny their religious beliefs? By baking a cake? Your religious views are still intact. No one is saying you can't believe as you believe. But there are laws against discrimination by businesses. You are not participating in the same sex wedding. You are not even condoning the wedding. You were hired to bake a cake. You would bake a cake for adulterers. And that is listed in the 10 Commandments.
No, the baker wasn't hired by the queers. That's a lie. The queers targeted the Christian and tried to force him to submit to something he doesn't believe in. Now go ahead and prove your accusation that the baker would sell a cake condoning adultery. Your fantasy isn't reality. Go ahead, prove it.

If you have a business that is open to the public there are laws against discrimination. Just like white restaurants have to serve black patrons. The owners may not believe in mixing of the races. They can have those beliefs in their private life. But a business open to the public cannot discriminate according to the laws.

It doesn't matter if they targeted a Christian baker. The Christian baker has a business license and is required to follow the laws. What made it a huge deal is the fact that the baker pitched a hissy fit. If they had simply baked a cake, collected the money, and ignored whatever nonsense was involved, it would not have been anything but a business transaction. The baker has a business license to bake cakes for money. There is no religious belief involves in baking a cake. It does not mean they participated in the wedding or condoned anything.

You don't think they have had any customers say this was their 2nd marriage? Or had a pregnant woman buy a wedding cake?
Bullcorn. My private life and beliefs aren't suspended when I open a business. Peddle that crap to some naive college kids. You don't get it.

I get it. You want to be exempt from anti-discrimination laws that other businesses have to follow. In other words, you want special treatment because of what you claim you believe. Sorry, that is not how it works.

How does baking a cake for two women who are getting married force you to abandon your beliefs?

I get it. You want to be exempt from anti-discrimination laws that other businesses have to follow. In other words, you want special treatment because of what you claim you believe. Sorry, that is not how it works.

How does baking a cake for two women who are getting married force you to abandon your beliefs?
No, I don't need to be exempt. I have the Constitution. You can't pass a law that overrides my Constitutional right. You still don't get it.

No, I don't need to be exempt. I have the Constitution. You can't pass a law that overrides my Constitutional right. You still don't get it.

Specifically, what constitutional right is being overridden?

Yes, you are asking to be exempt from antidiscrimination laws that apply to public businesses. If you don't want to follow the rules & laws, get out of a business that is open to the public.

Yes, you are asking to be exempt from antidiscrimination laws that apply to public businesses. If you don't want to follow the rules & laws, get out of a business that is open to the public.
Amazing. The first amendment. ...."free exercise thereof". Do you understand that phrase?

Amazing. The first amendment. ...."free exercise thereof". Do you understand that phrase?

And baking a cake or abiding by rules you agreed to follow is stopping you from freely exercising your religion? How is that? You are not becoming a homosexual. You are not marrying someone of the same gender. You are baking a freakin cake. Thats it.

Of course, when you buy your business license you agree to follow all relevant federal state and local laws concerning the business. Does backing out of that agreement not constitute lying? THAT is an act that is actually against your religion.

And baking a cake or abiding by rules you agreed to follow is stopping you from freely exercising your religion? How is that? You are not becoming a homosexual. You are not marrying someone of the same gender. You are baking a freakin cake. Thats it.

Of course, when you buy your business license you agree to follow all relevant federal state and local laws concerning the business. Does backing out of that agreement not constitute lying? THAT is an act that is actually against your religion.
I don't want anything from MY business associated with same-sex marriage, which is an abomination to God according to my religious beliefs. I am protected by my Constitution. By the way, what rules did I agree to follow?

I don't want anything from MY business associated with same-sex marriage, which is an abomination to God according to my religious beliefs. I am protected by my Constitution. By the way, what rules did I agree to follow?

The laws applicable to your business.

The laws applicable to your business.
You still don't get it. I buy my business license, no problem. Then some politicians pass a law that violates my religious beliefs. You really think I'm supposed to submit my Constitutional right?

What, you think the moneychangers in the temple were thinking what a nice, spiffy person He was?
So you admit that you're a bitch. Good for you.

Now if we could just get you to admit you're an imbecile, our reality check would be complete.
So you're saying that an imbecile got you to admit that you're a bitch? :biggrin:

You seem to think this is something I'm supposed to have a problem with, and that you've somehow achieved a great accomplishment. You could actually have just asked, but you're such a moron, you can't conceive of your limited, uninformed worldview not being universal.
I beat you like a rug. Please try again soon.

Sure, Chuckles. Whatever keeps you from jumping off bridges.

So they use some other reason ---- like, the position/department has been eliminated.

Maybe maybe not.

But if one is not fired for cause then the employer's costs for both State and Federal Unemployment taxes rise.

Not my problem. My employer understood what was involved in the employment contract before he entered into it, so if he chooses to discontinue the contract for reasons of his own, he gets to bear the cost of that choice.

OK so what if you didn't have a contract but were employed at will like most people?

Then it would be OK for the business owner to fire all the women because his new religion says it's a sin for women to work right?

I am employed at will. Doesn't mean there isn't a basic contractual obligation between employer and employee. That's not only been an accepted component of the law AND society since forever, it's also self-evident. When I was hired, we made certain agreements on each side, both explicit and implicit, to which we are both obligated. Among those are the procedures to be followed to terminate my employment, depending on the reason.

And please stop conflating "okay to do" with "has a right to make choices". I don't have to approve of someone's choices to recognize and defend his right to make them.
So you lied when you said you were under contract.
If you are employed at will there is no contract.

So then you obviously must support your employer's right to believe hiring women is a sin and then firing all the women using that religious belief as the reason right?

Jesus, you get really dumb when you have an agenda.

I didn't say I was "under contract", Einstein. I said there's a contractual agreement between employer and employee. And there is. When you are hired, there is a legally-binding agreement made between you and the person hiring you. They agree to pay you a certain amount of money for a specified amount of time (ie. $20 an hour, $2000 every two weeks, whatever), provide specified benefits after your probationary period, provide your paycheck on specific dates, etc. You agree to work specific hours, provide specific services in exchange for your paycheck, etc. You may not have a written contract, but all of this DOES constitute a legally-binding contractual agreement nevertheless. Don't you remember going through all this when you got hired?

When I got hired, my employer specified that if he had to let me go for some reason other than firing me for cause, I get a certain amount of compensation, since it's not my fault.

And there's no number of times you're going to be able to ask "So you support his right . . ." that's going to somehow change the answer. It's HIS business; if he wants to make stupid business decisions, that's HIS choice. I have no desire to work for someone like that. I would much rather he be honest about it and let me get on with finding a better job, than be forced to pretend and make my life miserable in the process.

You say, "I get it", but then you massively DON'T get it.

No one is saying, "Let me be exempt from the laws for everyone else", Mensa Boy. We're saying, "This law isn't right for ANYONE."

As for how, that would depend on the beliefs, now wouldn't it?

Look up "civil disobedience", dimwit.

So then you obviously must support your employer's right to believe hiring women is a sin and then firing all the women using that religious belief as the reason right?
And there's no number of times you're going to be able to ask "So you support his right . . ." that's going to somehow change the answer. It's HIS business; if he wants to make stupid business decisions, that's HIS choice. I have no desire to work for someone like that. I would much rather he be honest about it and let me get on with finding a better job, than be forced to pretend and make my life miserable in the process.

This looks like a clear and unequivocal answer to your question, Skull Pilot. Why were you asking?

I know what civil disobedience means. But if you go that route, don't whine about the consequences.

A business license implies adherence to some fixed Standards.
Yes, but a business license doesn't mean you have to abandon your religious beliefs to submit to perverts.
Your religious based bigotry is duly noted.

For-profit means just that. You are not in it for the sake of morals or you would be doing business on a not-for-profit basis.
That's strictly your opinion. However, there is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that states citizens must abandon their religious beliefs when doing business. Christophobic bigot.

The 1st amendment uses the word "people". I thought you said that made it a collective right.
yes; the People, not just Bakers.

A business license implies adherence to some fixed Standards.
Yes, but a business license doesn't mean you have to abandon your religious beliefs to submit to perverts.
Your religious based bigotry is duly noted.

For-profit means just that. You are not in it for the sake of morals or you would be doing business on a not-for-profit basis.
Why are bakers?

I know what civil disobedience means. But if you go that route, don't whine about the consequences.
Likewise. Y'all need to remember that conservative Christians are well armed.

Forum List

Back