Why not western revolvers with modern features....?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I'm not that into guns, but I do like the look of Western style revolvers. The one thing that keeps me from buying one is the Single action operation, and the one at a time loading gate. Is there a reason they haven't taken say, a Single Action Army revolver or a Schofield pistol, given it modern revolver safety features and a swing out cylinder? Much the way the venerable 1911 has become the Glock, the M&P, and the Sig Sauer.........I think there would be a market for "Cowboy" guns that had modern features. I would also like to see compact versions of these guns.....the one I saw at the Gun store was as long as a human thigh...so a smaller version in the same style would be pretty nice......

I'm not that into guns, but I do like the look of Western style revolvers. The one thing that keeps me from buying one is the Single action operation, and the one at a time loading gate. Is there a reason they haven't taken say, a Single Action Army revolver or a Schofield pistol, given it modern revolver safety features and a swing out cylinder? Much the way the venerable 1911 has become the Glock, the M&P, and the Sig Sauer.........I think there would be a market for "Cowboy" guns that had modern features. I would also like to see compact versions of these guns.....the one I saw at the Gun store was as long as a human thigh...so a smaller version in the same style would be pretty nice......
The closest thing you'll find in what you want is the Ruger GP100 series. Heck, all modern revolvers are children of the old "western" revolver they just don't look like their "parents".
I have no problem with single action revolvers nor do I have any problems with cap and ball revolvers, percussion or flintlocks, they're all fun in their own right.

The beauty of a single action revolver is ....duh... single action. The Schofield evolved from the SAA and swing out cylinders evolved from that. There is a U.S. made .22 single action revolver yoday (Heritage Arms) that has a real flip up safety. The only safety I ever saw on a revolver other than half cock (hence the term don't go off half cocked). There were swing out revolvers that could only be fired single action for target purposes and revolvers with concealed hammers that could only be fired double action. There were top break revolvers that automatically ejected the spent rounds. They are all unique in their own way.

Last edited:
The beauty of a single action revolver is ....duh... single action. The Schofield evolved from the SAA and swing out cylinders evolved from that. There is a U.S. made .22 single action revolver yoday (Heritage Arms) that has a real flip up safety. The only safety I ever saw on a revolver other than half cock (hence the term don't go off half cocked). There were swing out revolvers that could only be fired single action for target purposes and revolvers with concealed hammers that could only be fired double action. There were top break revolvers that automatically ejected the spent rounds. They are all unique in their own way.

I am not talking about manual safeties on a revolver just the one that keeps the hammer from falling on the round without pulling the trigger, the old flaw in the old revolvers.......

I think a western style revolver with a swing out cylinder would be very popular.....I know I might buy one.

I am not talking about manual safeties on a revolver just the one that keeps the hammer from falling on the round without pulling the trigger, the old flaw in the old revolvers.......

I think a western style revolver with a swing out cylinder would be very popular.....I know I might buy one.
They used to carry the SAA with the hammer down on an empty chamber but that's the romance of it. It depends on what you want to do with the thing. If it's a fun day playing cowboy action get you a modern (or vintage if you can afford it) single action. Otherwise there were swing out cylinders going back to the Spanish American war and you can still find one or tons of modern stuff. I'm a wheel gun man myself but I used to shoot a .22 auto in pistol matches.

Forum List

Back