Why Obama is wrong when he says business needs the government

History is full of examples of the government taking on projects that are huge because they believe they wouldn't happen otherwise. History is also full of examples of projects that businesses took on because they were needed. My favorite example of the latter is one of Obama's talking points when he claims that the government is indispensable.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge...

Turns out that the government actually did everything it could to stop the Golden Gate bridge, and that, ultimately, it was built because of one man.

In fact, it was the ‘One Percenters’, as is the term coined of the rich and powerful these days, that built the Golden Gate, not government. More importantly, it was government that posed more obstacles for the building of the bridge than any other entity and if the Department of Defense had their way it never would have been built at all.

Some basic research into the building of the bridge indicated that the original architect of the bridge, Joseph Strauss (who also designed a bridge to be built over the Bering Strait) faced numerous obstacles from government after his original proposal to them in 1921. Several years earlier the government had done a study about building a bridge in those waters and had come to the conclusion that it was impossible to build a bridge from the city to Marin County. San Francisco City Engineer Michael O'Shaughnessy had requested the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey to make soundings of the channel bottom. The U.S.S. Natoma completed the sounding of the channel in May 1920, and after receiving the Natoma's survey data, O'Shaughnessy consults engineers from around the country about feasibility and cost. Many say it cannot be done, and if it can be the cost would exceed $100 million. The idea was then shelved until Strauss comes forward with his design.

A second problem in 1929 when the US Stock Market collapsed made for more problems. The Golden Gate committee now has trouble issuing the bond needed for the construction of the bridge, even though the citizens of the surrounding area had put up their own personal lands and farms as collateral. It takes 3 more years and the wealthy President and founder of Bank of America, A.P. Giannini, to personally buy the 35 million dollar bond which he then finances through the bank. Without the bank and the intervention of private industry fueled by personal wealth, again the bridge would not have been built. By 1937 the bridge is completed—and Strauss delivers the bridge 1.7 million UNDER budget, using local non-union labor and private contractors.

www.thomas-purcell.com: Obama's Golden Gate Sized Error

Want to know what else got built without the government?

250px-Statue_of_Liberty_7.jpg

First off, the bridge was funded by government issued bonds. Second, the original estimates don't make much sense for several reasons. First, the original Strauss design called for a double cantilever system. But it was around the time when there were some major improvements in metallurgy that allowed for a suspension system. The government forced Strauss to change his design. Good thing, since I doubt that a less forgiving cantilever bridge would have stood up as well to the areas huge earthquakes. Think about those collapsed highways in Frisco about 25 years ago. As for union/nonunion, it was the municipal governments that forced Strauss to use local labor.

Another interesting fact is that one of the key opponents to the bridge came from the Southern Pacific Railroad, since it had a monopoly on the ferry service.

So there's plenty of historically inaccurate bullshit in that article you chose to post. Don't make Strauss out to be a hero, since his design wasn't even used in the construction. He had to go out and hire engineers with expertise in suspension systems. Yes, the Navy had a reasonable concern about how it might encumber shipping, at least with the original plan. But nice find in getting that revisionism, since most of the right wing here will never do an ounce of research.

As for the Statue of Liberty, it was a gift from the people of France, i.e. the French government. It's also been pretty well managed by the National Parks Service.

Last edited:
Excuse me?

First, nothing you have listed there is something the government knows best, some of them are not even things the government actually does. The ones that the government actually does do are things the government has declared are part of its monopoly of force.

Second, the government, the public sector, often calls in experts from the private sector to get advice on the best way to deliver those services because the public sector is run by a bunch of lawyers, not by people that actually understand the issues behind any of the services they have decided are exclusively in their purview,

I want to know what issues the public sector knows better than the private sector, not what services the public sector provides. Since you haven't named a single one I would definitely say I want more.

Which ones does the government not do?

Quality control of food is done by the companies that sell it, all the government actually does is inspect it to make sure it is not going to make people sick. Commercial airplanes are inspected by the airlines that own them, not the government. The FAA has a minimum inspection and repair schedule they require airlines to follow.

You know nothing about the food industry or the FAA. Lol
Do you just pull this shit out of your ass?

The roads you are talking about were built by shippers that wanted to make it easier to move goods, not by the government. The government did not get wholesale into building roads until after WWII. the interstate highway system was a Department of War project to make it easier to move the Army around in an emergency, not an investment in infrastructure to help businesses.

You obviously ignored the link I posted.

The link that says this?

[SIZE=-1]In 1908, Henry Ford introduced his low-priced, highly efficient Model T. Its widespread popularity created pressure for the federal government to become more directly involved in road development. With rural interests adding to the battle cry of "Get the farmers out of the mud!" Congress passed the Federal- Aid Road Act of 1916. It created the Federal-Aid Highway Program under which funds were made available on a continuous basis to state highway agencies to assist in road improvements. But before the program could get off the ground, the United States entered World War I.[/SIZE]

Yep, I ignored it.

Yeah, way to forget to post the first part of the article where it stated the Government was already involved in improving roads. Lol

I will give you a clue QW, google the beef industry and government involvement in regards to quality control.
Then google what a ASI inspector does for the FAA.

History is full of examples of the government taking on projects that are huge because they believe they wouldn't happen otherwise. History is also full of examples of projects that businesses took on because they were needed. My favorite example of the latter is one of Obama's talking points when he claims that the government is indispensable.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge...
Turns out that the government actually did everything it could to stop the Golden Gate bridge, and that, ultimately, it was built because of one man.

A second problem in 1929 when the US Stock Market collapsed made for more problems. The Golden Gate committee now has trouble issuing the bond needed for the construction of the bridge, even though the citizens of the surrounding area had put up their own personal lands and farms as collateral. It takes 3 more years and the wealthy President and founder of Bank of America, A.P. Giannini, to personally buy the 35 million dollar bond which he then finances through the bank. Without the bank and the intervention of private industry fueled by personal wealth, again the bridge would not have been built. By 1937 the bridge is completed—and Strauss delivers the bridge 1.7 million UNDER budget, using local non-union labor and private contractors.

First off, the bridge was funded by government issued bonds. Second, the original estimates don't make much sense for several reasons. First, the original Strauss design called for a double cantilever system. But it was around the time when there were some major improvements in metallurgy that allowed for a suspension system. The government forced Strauss to change his design. Good thing, since I doubt that a less forgiving cantilever bridge would have stood up as well to the areas huge earthquakes. Think about those collapsed highways in Frisco about 25 years ago. As for union/nonunion, it was the municipal governments that forced Strauss to use local labor.

Another interesting fact is that one of the key opponents to the bridge came from the Southern Pacific Railroad, since it had a monopoly on the ferry service.

So there's plenty of historically inaccurate bullshit in that article you chose to post. Don't make Strauss out to be a hero, since his design wasn't even used in the construction. He had to go out and hire engineers with expertise in suspension systems. Yes, the Navy had a reasonable concern about how it might encumber shipping, at least with the original plan. But nice find in getting that revisionism, since most of the right wing here will never do an ounce of research.

First, the bonds were backed by a private bank, not the government.

It is interesting that Southern Pacific had government enforced monopoly on ferries, but I don't see how that actually proves me wrong.

I am not making anyone out to be a hero, I am pointing out that Obama is wrong.

Oh! And PS the Statue of Liberty was built by a French Funded artist. The beginning stages of the US part of the project was funded by the government.
So get statement that the Statue of Liberty was built without the government is a lie. It was actually funded by two different governments. Pulitzer did put on a campaign to fund the project when the US ran out of money, but your statement is still false.
Like I asked before. Do you pull this stuff out of your ass?

Which ones does the government not do?

Quality control of food is done by the companies that sell it, all the government actually does is inspect it to make sure it is not going to make people sick. Commercial airplanes are inspected by the airlines that own them, not the government. The FAA has a minimum inspection and repair schedule they require airlines to follow.

It literally takes hundreds of man hours to inspect each airplane that is flown. it takes specialized training to inspect each different part of the plane. Do you have any idea how large the FAA would have to be if they insisted on personally inspecting every commercial airplane? They hire people that check to make sure that the maintenance facilities are up to date, and that the personal are trained properly and up to date in regulations. They are actually authorized to inspect the plane, but a mechanic that specializes in the brakes isn't going to know enough about the engines to see a problem, and a guy who can tear down an engine won't know if the avionics is working properly.

Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASIs) : Aviation safety inspectors apply a broad knowledge of the aviation industry, the general principles of aviation safety, and the Federal laws, regulations, and policies affecting aviation. In addition, they apply intensive technical knowledge and skill in the operation and maintenance of aircraft. Below is a brief description of the duties and responsibilities of an Inspector and the specific qualification requirements:

Airworthiness (Avionics/Maintenance):
Inspectors in this specialty apply knowledge and skills typically acquired as repairman of aircraft, aircraft parts, or avionics equipment to develop and administer regulations and safety standards pertaining to the airworthiness and maintenance of aircraft and related equipment. They engage primarily in the following types of assignments: (a) Evaluating mechanics and repair facilities for initial certification and continuing adequacy; (b) evaluating the mechanic‘s training program; (c) inspecting aircraft and related equipment for airworthiness; and (d) evaluating the maintenance aspects of programs of air carriers and similar commercial operations. The evaluations may include the adequacy of maintenance facilities, equipment and procedures; the competence of employees; the adequacy of the program or schedule for periodic maintenance and overhauls; and the airworthiness of the aircraft. Aviation Safety Inspectors (Airworthiness) may perform a variety of other inspections, investigations and advisory duties. However the primary requirement for positions in this specialty is knowledge and skill pertaining to the maintenance and airworthiness of aircraft.

Aviation Safety Inspectors

As for food service, I worked in that area, and I know the shit that most restaurants don't want you to know about. Watch Kitchen Nightmares or Hell's Kitchens sometime and explain to me why Ramsey gets away with touching half the stuff before he sends it out to his customers.

It is interesting that Southern Pacific had government enforced monopoly on ferries, but I don't see how that actually proves me wrong.

The bonds were purchased by a private bank, ie Bank of America. They were issued by the State of California. That still constitutes public financing and incurring public debt.

But the fact remains that Obama was not wrong. It was a government project that worked well. The fact that the government intervened with Strauss' design, made for a better, safer, and more cost effective process. Your article is still spin and revisionism, and ignores too many facts to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
You obviously ignored the link I posted.

The link that says this?

[SIZE=-1]In 1908, Henry Ford introduced his low-priced, highly efficient Model T. Its widespread popularity created pressure for the federal government to become more directly involved in road development. With rural interests adding to the battle cry of "Get the farmers out of the mud!" Congress passed the Federal- Aid Road Act of 1916. It created the Federal-Aid Highway Program under which funds were made available on a continuous basis to state highway agencies to assist in road improvements. But before the program could get off the ground, the United States entered World War I.[/SIZE]
Yep, I ignored it.

Yeah, way to forget to post the first part of the article where it stated the Government was already involved in improving roads. Lol

A $10,000 budget to improve roads all over the nation, I bet that when a long way. Want to bet he gave most of it to his buddies?

Seriously, do you read the stuff you link to? Do you really think that I don't simply because I read faster than you do?

I will give you a clue QW, google the beef industry and government involvement in regards to quality control.

Here is the first link on Google for beef industry quality control.

Beef Quality Assurance - Home

The USDA does grade beef, but that has nothing to do with quality control.

Quality Grades:

• Prime grade
    thumbnail_prime1.gif
    is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking (broiling, roasting, or grilling).
  • Choice grade
    thumbnail_choice1.gif
    is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy, and flavorful and are, like Prime, suited to dry-heat cooking. Many of the less tender cuts, such as those from the rump, round, and blade chuck, can also be cooked with dry heat if not overcooked. Such cuts will be most tender if "braised" — roasted, or simmered with a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan.
  • Select grade
    thumbnail_select1.gif
    is very uniform in quality and normally leaner than the higher grades. It is fairly tender, but, because it has less marbling, it may lack some of the juiciness and flavor of the higher grades. Only the tender cuts (loin, rib, sirloin) should be cooked with dry heat. Other cuts should be marinated before cooking or braised to obtain maximum tenderness and flavor.
  • Standard and Commercial grades are frequently sold as ungraded or as "store brand" meat.
  • Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades are seldom, if ever, sold at retail but are used instead to make ground beef and processed products.

I already posted what an ASI does to make my point that they do not actually inspect aircraft, want to try again?

Last edited:
Oh! And PS the Statue of Liberty was built by a French Funded artist. The beginning stages of the US part of the project was funded by the government.
So get statement that the Statue of Liberty was built without the government is a lie. It was actually funded by two different governments. Pulitzer did put on a campaign to fund the project when the US ran out of money, but your statement is still false.

No, it was made by a French artist, it was built by funds raised by private donations in the US.

Unfortunately, a lack of funds in the United States delayed the building of the pedestal. Fund-raising efforts stalled until Joseph Pulitzer, publisher of “The World” newspaper and noted for the Pulitzer Prize, decided to use his newspaper to push Americans to donate. The Statue was finally re-assembled on her new pedestal and dedicated on October 28, 1886.

The Statue of Liberty -- History and Key Facts

The bonds were purchased by a private bank, ie Bank of America. They were issued by the State of California. That still constitutes public financing and incurring public debt.

But the fact remains that Obama was not wrong. It was a government project that worked well. The fact that the government intervened with Strauss' design, made for a better, safer, and more cost effective process. Your article is still spin and revisionism, and ignores too many facts to be taken seriously.

They were not issued by the state.

They were backed by the bank that was wholly owned by a single person.

If you want to argue that Obama is right I suggest you stick to actual facts, not your fanciful interpretation of them.

Last edited:

No, it was made by a French artist, it was built by funds raised by private donations in the US.

Unfortunately, a lack of funds in the United States delayed the building of the pedestal. Fund-raising efforts stalled until Joseph Pulitzer, publisher of “The World” newspaper and noted for the Pulitzer Prize, decided to use his newspaper to push Americans to donate. The Statue was finally re-assembled on her new pedestal and dedicated on October 28, 1886.

The Statue of Liberty -- History and Key Facts

Who paid the the French artist?the French government. And the project was finished by private funds, started by government funds.

The link that says this?

Yep, I ignored it.

A $10,000 budget to improve roads all over the nation, I bet that when a long way. Want to bet he gave most of it to his buddies?

Seriously, do you read the stuff you link to? Do you really think that I don't simply because I read faster than you do?

You do realize 10,000 was a lot more money back then. And reread the original statement. The roads were already being built, was the point.

It literally takes hundreds of man hours to inspect each airplane that is flown. it takes specialized training to inspect each different part of the plane. Do you have any idea how large the FAA would have to be if they insisted on personally inspecting every commercial airplane? They hire people that check to make sure that the maintenance facilities are up to date, and that the personal are trained properly and up to date in regulations. They are actually authorized to inspect the plane, but a mechanic that specializes in the brakes isn't going to know enough about the engines to see a problem, and a guy who can tear down an engine won't know if the avionics is working properly.

Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASIs) : Aviation safety inspectors apply a broad knowledge of the aviation industry, the general principles of aviation safety, and the Federal laws, regulations, and policies affecting aviation. In addition, they apply intensive technical knowledge and skill in the operation and maintenance of aircraft. Below is a brief description of the duties and responsibilities of an Inspector and the specific qualification requirements:

Airworthiness (Avionics/Maintenance):
Inspectors in this specialty apply knowledge and skills typically acquired as repairman of aircraft, aircraft parts, or avionics equipment to develop and administer regulations and safety standards pertaining to the airworthiness and maintenance of aircraft and related equipment. They engage primarily in the following types of assignments: (a) Evaluating mechanics and repair facilities for initial certification and continuing adequacy; (b) evaluating the mechanic‘s training program; (c) inspecting aircraft and related equipment for airworthiness; and (d) evaluating the maintenance aspects of programs of air carriers and similar commercial operations. The evaluations may include the adequacy of maintenance facilities, equipment and procedures; the competence of employees; the adequacy of the program or schedule for periodic maintenance and overhauls; and the airworthiness of the aircraft. Aviation Safety Inspectors (Airworthiness) may perform a variety of other inspections, investigations and advisory duties. However the primary requirement for positions in this specialty is knowledge and skill pertaining to the maintenance and airworthiness of aircraft.

Aviation Safety Inspectors

As for food service, I worked in that area, and I know the shit that most restaurants don't want you to know about. Watch Kitchen Nightmares or Hell's Kitchens sometime and explain to me why Ramsey gets away with touching half the stuff before he sends it out to his customers.

And you stated the FAA only purpose is require certain inspections etc. when reality they inspect facilities and some commercial airplanes. Your link stated that.

Quality Grades:

• Prime grade
    thumbnail_prime1.gif
    is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking (broiling, roasting, or grilling).
  • Choice grade
    thumbnail_choice1.gif
    is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy, and flavorful and are, like Prime, suited to dry-heat cooking. Many of the less tender cuts, such as those from the rump, round, and blade chuck, can also be cooked with dry heat if not overcooked. Such cuts will be most tender if "braised" — roasted, or simmered with a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan.
  • Select grade
    thumbnail_select1.gif
    is very uniform in quality and normally leaner than the higher grades. It is fairly tender, but, because it has less marbling, it may lack some of the juiciness and flavor of the higher grades. Only the tender cuts (loin, rib, sirloin) should be cooked with dry heat. Other cuts should be marinated before cooking or braised to obtain maximum tenderness and flavor.
  • Standard and Commercial grades are frequently sold as ungraded or as "store brand" meat.
  • Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades are seldom, if ever, sold at retail but are used instead to make ground beef and processed products.

I already posted what an ASI does to make my point that they do not actually inspect aircraft, want to try again?

And grading beef has everything to do with quality control. Lol Grading beef has to do with grading the quality of the beef.
And I don't care where you worked, my brother is a cattle rancher and my mom was a lobbyist for the cattle ranchers in the 70s. Your point?

They were not issued by the state.

They were backed by the bank that was wholly owned by a single person.

If you want to argue that Obama is right I suggest you stick to actual facts, not your fanciful interpretation of them.

No, the facts show you are wrong. The bonds were issued by the State of California, and purchased by Bank of America. That still constitutes a public project, and a debt incurred by the public. Can you show any factual errors in the following?

Golden Gate Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finance
The Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District, authorized by an act of the California Legislature, was incorporated in 1928 as the official entity to design, construct, and finance the Golden Gate Bridge.[11] However, after the Wall Street Crash of 1929, the District was unable to raise the construction funds, so it lobbied for a $30 million bond measure. The bonds were approved in November 1930,[14] by votes in the counties affected by the bridge.[24] The construction budget at the time of approval was $27 million. However, the District was unable to sell the bonds until 1932, when Amadeo Giannini, the founder of San Francisco–based Bank of America, agreed on behalf of his bank to buy the entire issue in order to help the local economy.[7]

Quality Grades:

• Prime grade
    thumbnail_prime1.gif
  • Choice grade
    thumbnail_choice1.gif
  • Select grade
    thumbnail_select1.gif

"FAA inspectors take their duties very seriously. In addition to inspecting maintenance logs and safety records, these inspectors also physically examine aircraft to ensure that they are safe to fly. FAA inspectors may decide to ground aircraft until safety issues are addressed, and the agency is able to fine violators to ensure that they are penalized for lapses in safety. FAA agents can also recognize people with a particularly good record in the industry, ranging from especially safe pilots to skilled ground crew, through the FAA Wings Program."
http://m.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-federal-aviation-administration-faa.htm

And from what you posted.
(c) inspecting aircraft and related equipment for airworthiness; and (d)
What you said:
" ASI does to make my point that they do not actually inspect aircraft, want to try again"

Are you purposely lying to prove your point?

What issues does the public sector know best?

Other than making life hard for the private sector.

Well, off the top of my head, water and sewer services, roads, fire, police, courts, defense, international relations, border control, health inspections, quality control for food, inspections of commericial vehicles and operators, air traffic control, inspections of commericial airplanes. Would you like more?

Excuse me?

First, nothing you have listed there is something the government knows best, some of them are not even things the government actually does. The ones that the government actually does do are things the government has declared are part of its monopoly of force.

Second, the government, the public sector, often calls in experts from the private sector to get advice on the best way to deliver those services because the public sector is run by a bunch of lawyers, not by people that actually understand the issues behind any of the services they have decided are exclusively in their purview,

I want to know what issues the public sector knows better than the private sector, not what services the public sector provides. Since you haven't named a single one I would definitely say I want more.

You are going to have to define what you mean by "issues".

So, you agree that the government acquired land and turned it into a common?

Never have I seen someone try so hard to disagree with the obvious.

No it was used for public use while it was still privately held.

The Massachusetts Bay Colony was the government entity of the time. They bought it to use it as a commons.

A commons. For common use. To this day, the people of Boston (Commoners) have maintained it as publicly owned property for use by commoners.

No the founders of the colony bought it privately. Again, trying desparately to rewrite history. Your failure is now complete. Return to the hive.

Forum List

Back