Why Right Wing Is Petrified of Letting Voters, Not Electoral College, Pick Presidents

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a liberal administration is in trouble the radical left claims it wants to overhaul the whole electoral system.
Keep movin' along. You've (quite) obviously got a limited-capacity for all things; historical.

This issue has been debated, for MANY years.

106.gif

It would be the best incremental step in breaking the stranglehold the two party system has on our democracy.
How?

You have every right to start a Third Party. Many people have. The Majority rejects them.

What's special about your Party?​

No surprises here. When a liberal administration is in trouble the radical left claims it wants to overhaul the whole electoral system. Nobody but nut cases and the OWS takes the issue seriously.

you got that right..
Gee.....whatta surprise. Another History-challenged Teabagger.

Thanks, so much, for demonstrating how risky it would be, allowing you (two) to cancel-out two educated/informed-votes.​

So, we're halfway there.

What does "it has half the states it needs" mean? They are willing to approve a Constitutional Amendment? What?

The way I understand it, individual states would vote to change their election laws to award their electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote. Legal as can be and does not touch The Constitution.
That doesn't make any sense.

If it's a National-election, there need to be National-rules.​

The Republicans are frantically trying to suppress the black vote with voter ID laws, and swamp the system with tens of millions in Super PAC money, they know the Dems can't match.

Republicans hate democracy.

We're NOT a fucking Democracy, Dirtbag!!!

Why would anyone want the people of NYC, Chicago & LA to pick the President every 4 years?

Cuz the dems would win every time.

Really? Did they get more votes in '80, '84, '88 and '04? Missed those recounts! :cool:

You don't think the campaigning would've been different, with posibly a different overall vote count? You don't think maybe the rural vote count mighta been lower? You don't think as a result there might be legislative changes favoring urban areas over rural ones that might've influenced the vote count? Past data may not be that useful once you change the rules.

May 4, 2009
RUSH: I maintain when a politician says, "We have to listen to the American people and learn," we are pandering. We're not leading.

You simply listen to what people say they want and then come up with a series of policies that give them what they want. What if what they want is destructive to the country? What if what the people want is destructive to your own party? What if what the people want is something they don't even really understand? Where is leadership in this equation? Listen, learn, lead.
How odd that Porky would all-of-a-sudden have issues with pandering to stupid-people.
323.png

Cuz the dems would win every time.

Really? Did they get more votes in '80, '84, '88 and '04? Missed those recounts! :cool:

You don't think the campaigning would've been different, with posibly a different overall vote count? You don't think maybe the rural vote count mighta been lower? You don't think as a result there might be legislative changes favoring urban areas over rural ones that might've influenced the vote count? Past data may not be that useful once you change the rules.

You need to come to the Environment forum and make that case to AGW deniers. :cool:

The Republicans are frantically trying to suppress the black vote with voter ID laws, and swamp the system with tens of millions in Super PAC money, they know the Dems can't match.

Republicans hate democracy.

We're NOT a fucking Democracy, Dirtbag!!!

There is an aspect of the US constitution that potentially puts democratic control over the republic, and this is as Jefferson wished for. A lawful and peaceful revolution. Article V.

It is not reasonable to consider that a republic could operate under principles that are totally unchanging. Time changes things and the rules need to change with it, at leat a little, in carefully measured bites.

If an Article V conventiuon to propose amendments is done properly, with preparatory amendments assuring full constitutional intent, Americas republic could, and should see limited democratic revision of the constitution.

Primary to this is correcting the abridgement of free speech. Only the very wealthy can give wide meaning to speech. The next preparation is to reform campaign financing. Following that is election reform and securing of the voting systems, including ending the electoral college, at least temporarily.

If these measures are taken, we can amend our constitution properly.

BIG PROBLEM!

Congress has been violating the constitution and their oaths for 100 years by not calling for an Article V convention. They've been misinterpreting Article V over and over pretending they cannot use the 9th, and the 14th amendment for interpretation of the constitution to see that all requirements have been met. Accordingly IF we are to have rights and freedoms, we need to use our first and last right, Article V. If we don't, we will have no more rights.

Since most civilians are too cowardly and soldiers inducted into a society of fear, taught only to follow orders and kill with a pretense of defending us, (not defend the constitution) civilians need to show their love for our republic by sharing this fully constitutional method of restoring constitutional government with soldiers, and SWEAR an oath to the solder to defend them from ANY military authority that tries to punish them for following their oath.

Post here or be a spiritual and political coward.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...d-the-constitution-from-a-domestic-enemy.html

Apparently, the GOP still considers the population to be too uneducated and stupid to choose a President.... which WAS THE REASON for the Electoral College to begin with. Most people couldn't even read back then.
Yeah.....we've really changed.

Now, we've got a fairly-significant number o' people (i.e. Teabaggers) who are capable o' reading words....up-to-and-including.....5-letters (long).

Then, ya' got your Dead-O-Heads who've (obviously) jettisoned newspapers, in-favor-of getting all their "news" thru EIBS & FAUX Noise.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXRjmyJFzrU]Idiocracy Intro (HR titlovi) - YouTube[/ame]​

No surprises here. When a liberal administration is in trouble the radical left claims it wants to overhaul the whole electoral system. Nobody but nut cases and the OWS takes the issue seriously.

you got that right..
You would probably be surprised to learn how many voter think they are voting for a presidential candidate. The only reason we have an electoral college is the founding fathers simply were rather afraid of democracy.
I'm thinkin' they were much-more afraid of poorly-educated people.​

Apparently, the GOP still considers the population to be too uneducated and stupid to choose a President.... which WAS THE REASON for the Electoral College to begin with. Most people couldn't even read back then.

I consider the average American to be too uneducated and stupid to understand politics and therefore be too ignorant to cast an educated vote.....
Bingo!!!!

9_trophy2.jpg

YOU WIN!!!!

Unless they have actually done that, the claim is bullshit. Any state that does do it is just diluting its influence on the national election. It's not in the best interests of any state to do it. Therefore, it will never happen.

Well it's perfectly legal and constitutional. Every state has the right to determine for themselves how they designate their delegates. But if you go by popular vote the power will go to major cities and that favors the Democrats...hence the reason why they favor it. If you go proportional by counties or congressional districts the Democrats will never win a presidential election again....hence the reason why they oppose that.

The simple fact though is that what is good for a city is not always good for rural America. What is good for Florida is not always good for Kansas. What is good for California is not always good for Idaho. The system was designed to balance everything and ensure that everyone's interests have influence but don't have dominance. Is it perfect? No. I live in Oregon and can attest to that. The entire state is extremely conservative except for Portland and Eugene which are ridiculously liberal....but those two cities dominate state politics and Oregon's influence in federal government because of their population compared to the rest of the state.

So no it's not perfect but it's better than the alternative of allowing states with major cities to control policy at the expense of rural America

There's a lot of people who live in rural ares who would like their vote for president to count, my district has never went the way I voted, my vote for president has never counted for shit.
I'm guessin' it was your lack o' English-proficiency.

:eusa_whistle:

Are we saying only "educated" voters should be allowed to vote?
Whatta concept, huh?

303.gif

I'd like to see the average-American take/pass the same test newly-naturalized citizens are expected to pass.

I'm always amused by those cretins who complain-about ".....the Congress & the Senate...", when they're demonstrating their political-acumen.

Typically, such types consider themselves "constitutionalists".

eusa_doh.gif

Last edited:
Are we saying only "educated" voters should be allowed to vote?

I would say so, but I speak for myself. Not my party, nor my race, nor my religion, nor anything...just me. However, remember I am a teacher so before I agree to that I would have to insist that a system of education was created where students are not brainwashed by a liberal agenda.
Teaching Civics would be considered Liberal-brainwashing, huh?

Teaching students how to take tests.....to satisfy "No Child Left Behind"-standards & evaluating teachers....is a better-idea, huh??

275px-No_Child_Left_Behind_Act.jpg

Yeah.....you "conservatives" have made a helluva-difference.

handjob.gif

Thi is Soooooooooooo awesome!!!!

Today, 02:45 PM
Mr. Shaman
This message is hidden because Mr. Shaman is on your ignore list.

View Post Today, 02:52 PM
Mr. Shaman

View Post Today, 02:55 PM
Mr. Shaman

View Post Today, 02:59 PM
Mr. Shaman

View Post Today, 03:02 PM
Mr. Shaman

View Post Today, 03:10 PM
Mr. Shaman

View Post Today, 03:22 PM
Mr. Shaman
This message is hidden because Mr. Shaman is on your ignore list

It would be the best incremental step in breaking the stranglehold the two party system has on our democracy. What if all presidents ran as independents? That suggestion alone is enough to make partisans piss their pants. It's more democracy, more power to an individual vote, I am 100% for it.

yep... the Founding Fathers didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground...

mob rule is definitely where it's at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back