🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why should the poor not have to pay federal income tax

So, basically your saying that the poor should just take our tax dollars and not contribute to anything..

First off, "our tax dollars"? You don't pay taxes, so how are they "ours"? You have no skin in the game to be complaining about in the first place.

Second, the poor pay plenty in taxes. The income tax is not the only tax out there.

Third, how is taxing people in poverty going to solve everything?

Fourth, I agree with Reagan.

I do pay taxes. My husband I make 6 figures so we pay plenty of taxes.. Just tired of people living off the government at the same time they are wasting our fed tax dollars

Your husband pays taxes, you don't.

The 'rich' also pay those other taxes... it is not like they are exempt from them
Nobody should be exempt from taxation AND EQUAL TREATMENT... it is flat out WRONG to have a sliding system that gives advantage to one at the expense of another

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You complain about fairness regarding income distribution, but then champion fairness about taxation. It amazes me that people on the right claim "fairness" to be a subjective matter regarding income distribution, but an objective matter regarding taxation. All that spin makes one dizzy.

I will say it again, taxes are not supposed to be fair. By their very nature, taxes are unfair and a necessary evil to fund government.

In addition, we don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem.

I complain about FAIRNESS?? Do you even read any of my posts??

Jesus

I do not complain about subjective fairness.. I champion equal treatment on all aspects, with all the positives and negatives that go with it.... eliminate the subjectivity and you get rid of a lot that is wrong with our governmental system

You are right that taxes are not supposed to be fair... but EQUAL... and you are also right that we have a HUGE spending problem

Then I misunderstood. I thought you were claiming that it was unfair of the poor to not pay income taxes.

The Republican Blame the Poor campaign continues.

Because the poor have so much political influence.

Poor people shouldn't have to pay the income tax for the same reason that nobody else should have to pay the income tax. It's their money, they earned it, and the government has no right to take it from them.

Why should the idle rich, who don't work, pay taxes at a lower rate than people who do work?

Poor people shouldn't have to pay the income tax for the same reason that nobody else should have to pay the income tax. It's their money, they earned it, and the government has no right to take it from them.

Actually they do.

Democratically elected governments have the right to tax.

Actually they do.

Sorry, I don't believe in mob rule anymore than I believe in autocratic rule. Just because 51% of the population says they have the right to take the money others have earned doesn't make it right.

I agree. I support abolishing the income tax, along with taxes on savings and investment and transfer the tax burden to progressive consumption.

I agree. I support abolishing the income tax, along with taxes on savings and investment and transfer the tax burden to progressive consumption.

This punishes poor people and rewards the wealthy.

The Republican campaign against poor people continues.

Because poor people have so much political influence.

Why should the idle rich, who don't work, pay taxes at a lower rate than people who do work?

Same reason why people who DO work pay lower taxes on the money they earn from income that is not from wages.

Your jealousy for the rich has blocked your ability to understand what capital gains taxes are all about.

But I have news for you....you, too, pay only 15% on cap gains...just like the rich.

And the rich pay normal income taxes on their income from wages....just like you!

Actually they do.

Sorry, I don't believe in mob rule anymore than I believe in autocratic rule. Just because 51% of the population says they have the right to take the money others have earned doesn't make it right.

Spoken like a true Republican.

Same reason why people who DO work pay lower taxes on the money they earn from income that is not from wages.

Your jealousy for the rich has blocked your ability to understand what capital gains taxes are all about.

But I have news for you....you, too, pay only 15% on cap gains...just like the rich.

And the rich pay normal income taxes on their income from wages....just like you!

But the idle rich don't work.

So why should the idle rich, who don't work, pay taxes at a lower rate than people who do work?

Why do you want to punish people who work and reward people who don't?

If you support the tax then you can hardly complain when it doesn't benefit your favored group.

But the idle rich don't work.

So why should the idle rich, who don't work, pay taxes at a lower rate than people who do work?

for the same reason why anyone who has an income from investments pays less.

You keep saying the "rich"

Do you believe the rich are the only class that has non working individuals?

Heck..I am not rich...and I am right now enjopying my retirement at the age of 53....living off my investments.....and paying 15% cap gains.

But I worked 60 hours a week for many years...and then 40 hours a week...and then 20 hours a week...

And with the exception of a Paris Hilton here...and flash in the pan actore there....most of the "idle rich" you refer to, got that way by working many hours a week for many years...paying their income taxes like everyone else.

No, it doesn't. You missed the word progressive. Plus, you could make exemptions on necessities.

In addition, it will also combat our personal savings deficiency and curb against unbridled consumption fueled by revolving credit.

Here is some info on it. I would elaborate, but need to go.
Inequality and executive pay: All hail the progressive consumption tax! | The Economist
http://www.stanford.edu/group/scspi/_media/pdf/pathways/summer_2010/Frank.pdf
The progressive consumption tax: A win-win solution for reducing American economic inequality. - Slate Magazine

No, it doesn't. You missed the word progressive. Plus, you could make exemptions on necessities.

In addition, it will also combat our personal savings deficiency and curb against unbridled consumption fueled by revolving credit.

Here is some info on it. I would elaborate, but need to go.
Inequality and executive pay: All hail the progressive consumption tax! | The Economist
http://www.stanford.edu/group/scspi/_media/pdf/pathways/summer_2010/Frank.pdf
The progressive consumption tax: A win-win solution for reducing American economic inequality. - Slate Magazine

A consumption tax is naturally progressive. Poor people, having less expendable income, spend less and therefore pay less in taxes. "Rich" people, having more expendable income will buy more and therefore contribute a progressively increased sum to taxes.

First off, "our tax dollars"? You don't pay taxes, so how are they "ours"? You have no skin in the game to be complaining about in the first place.

Second, the poor pay plenty in taxes. The income tax is not the only tax out there.

Third, how is taxing people in poverty going to solve everything?

Fourth, I agree with Reagan.

The 'rich' also pay those other taxes... it is not like they are exempt from them
Nobody should be exempt from taxation AND EQUAL TREATMENT... it is flat out WRONG to have a sliding system that gives advantage to one at the expense of another

More jealousy of the poor on display.

The progressive system does treat everyone equally. A flat tax does not. But you're definition of equal is short sighted and poorly thought out. That's probably why you're in the extreme minority that think the way you do.

I believe the rich should pay more, too, although as we found out with both Romney and Buffet, their tax brackets are lower than us mere mortals.

However, I would love someone to explain how a flat tax is not equal treatment. If you have a flat tax rate of 20% and you earn $100,000 you pay $20,000. If you earn $40,000 you pay $8000. The person earning $100,000 pays over twice as much tax as the person earning $40,000. Seems fair to me....

The progressive system does treat everyone equally. A flat tax does not. But you're definition of equal is short sighted and poorly thought out. That's probably why you're in the extreme minority that think the way you do.

I believe the rich should pay more, too, although as we found out with both Romney and Buffet, their tax brackets are lower than us mere mortals.

However, I would love someone to explain how a flat tax is not equal treatment. If you have a flat tax rate of 20% and you earn $100,000 you pay $20,000. If you earn $40,000 you pay $8000. The person earning $100,000 pays over twice as much tax as the person earning $40,000. Seems fair to me....

Two considerations should give us pause before jumping on the flat-tax bandwagon. The first is the disruptive effect of eliminating deductions, credits and exclusions that benefit the middle class as well as the rich and that play important roles in our lives—pension contributions, employer-provided healthcare, and deductions for mortgage interest, property taxes, and charitable contributions that support everything from soup kitchens to education to the arts. Second is the role of our mildly progressive federal income tax in offsetting regressive taxes elsewhere in the system.

Flat Tax Is Class Warfare - US News and World Report

Two considerations should give us pause before jumping on the flat-tax bandwagon. The first is the disruptive effect of eliminating deductions, credits and exclusions that benefit the middle class as well as the rich and that play important roles in our lives—pension contributions, employer-provided healthcare, and deductions for mortgage interest, property taxes, and charitable contributions that support everything from soup kitchens to education to the arts. Second is the role of our mildly progressive federal income tax in offsetting regressive taxes elsewhere in the system.

Flat Tax Is Class Warfare - US News and World Report

Ah, the fine print....

Forum List

Back