Why should we have to tip people for just doing their job?

Eliminate tipping and prices will skyrocket. The "cheap bastards" like the benefits of a tipping culture but they dont want to participate. They want a free ride without paying
The tourists who come here (NZ) love that the stated price of anything is the price. No added taxes or service charges, everything's included.
I have not read any tourist complain about tipping not being customary in any industry.

Most of the tourists who come here love that the stated price of anything is the price. No added taxes or service charges, everything's included.
I have not read any tourist complain about tipping not being customary in any industry.
Exactly American's have been brainwashed to believe that if they don't tip a waiter then the service of the business will close down people have been tipping for so long that it's normalized in the USA

It would server the blog writer well to educate themselves and read the true history of tipping. It originated in europe not the US.
You didn't read the article in post #41. England is in Europe and Edward Lloyd invented tipping in 1688. Lloyds Coffee Shop later moved and became Lloyds Of London, today the most prestigious insurer and underwriter in the world.

You didn't read the article in post #41. England is in Europe and Edward Lloyd invented tipping in 1688. Lloyds Coffee Shop later moved and became Lloyds Of London, today the most prestigious insurer and underwriter in the world.
I missed that. However, thats not it was for when it was brought over to the US.

The tourists who come here (NZ) love that the stated price of anything is the price. No added taxes or service charges, everything's included.
Of course they wont complain

But what are restaurant prices like in your tiny country? Americans who can afford to travel to the other side of the world probably arent going to complain about 20% higher prices either, and I'm sure your prices are just "expected" by the natives. It probably keep the natives from going out to dinner a little less than we do in the States

I don't tip because an employer doesn't pay a server enough, I tip because the service is exceptional. It incentivizes those who excel at their jobs and weeds out those who are better suited to a McDonalds.

The "custom" of tipping in the U.S. is so well established that Congress has presumed the fact of tipping in our Minimum Wage laws. Those who work in tipped jobs have a much lower legal MW, on the assumption that tips will supplement the actual wage to make it as high or higher than the MW for everyone else. Competent servers make much more than MW, and would rue the day that tipping was outlawed and their employers were required to pay them $7.35 or whatever the hell it is now. They would lose, big time.

Tipping is NOT universal. In the EuroZone table servers are almost all MEN, and they are paid as well as some skilled workers, which is what they are. Menu prices are accordingly much higher than in the U.S. Because of this, a couple going out to dinner can expect to pay a hundred Euro or more for dinner in a "nice" restaurant, with maybe a single glass of wine (EVERY glass of water or soft drink is charged anew - no free refills). If the service is extraordinary, the clients might leave a Euro on the table to acknowledge that fact. Given the exorbitant price of restaurant food in, say, Germany or Italy, a 20% tip would be highway robbery.

In these days of the Cajuna Virus, the "standard" tip in the U.S. has informally been increased from 1/7 or 15% to 20%, recognizing that servers will not have as many settings in the course of a week under Pandemic conditions. If you do not pay that for competent service, you are a dick. If you can't afford that, go to a fast food place or eat at home.

My personal pet peeve is "tip jars" in places where the employees are paid MW or better. Bullshit, I put nothing in the tip jar unless the service is EXTRAORDINARY.

Let's use some logic...

Since tipping is the normal customary activity...then those who don't are robbing low wage workers.

$6-$8 chili burgers will increase drastically in price because of the low price per customer to make a profit on. Almost half of the cost of the burger is in the food and the other half is labor of cooking and cleaning up after you. A slim margin is left over for profit. Servers are almost paid exclusively by tips.
In times past wait-staff was never paid but instead paid the restaurant itself for the job. Usually $5 for a shift which provided you with 5 tables, a meal, and a uniform...you polished all stemware, silverware and etc before the service period.

The Matre'de at Windows on the World used to pay around $250,000 for his job annually.

These days with tips being taxed the wages have dropped drastically for restaurant wait staff and cooks and cleaning staff.

And on some level actually taxing what is essentially a gift is rather wrong and if repealed would bring professionalism back to the industry.

Why should a customer have to pay extra money to tip when in all honesty it is the responsibility of the employer to pay his/her employees? If a customer doesn't tip waiters think it's rude or your considered cheap Basically, it's a win-win situation for employers we pay to keep the business running, we tip employees for just doing their job! It has become the norm for decades tips should be banned in America
Have you traveled to areas where tips aren't allowed? What you find rather quickly is that your meal is more expensive and the service almost always sucks! Tipping works rather well actually. Unless of course you ARE cheap!

Why should a customer have to pay extra money to tip when in all honesty it is the responsibility of the employer to pay his/her employees? If a customer doesn't tip waiters think it's rude or your considered cheap Basically, it's a win-win situation for employers we pay to keep the business running, we tip employees for just doing their job! It has become the norm for decades tips should be banned in America
I can see your point. At $15 an hour and the increases in the price of the offerings, both the employer and employee have gotten raises. TIPS (To Insure Prompt Service) are a percentage of a sale. When I go out with my wife and the bill for a 1 hour dinner is $150--I am not going to pay a server $37.50 an hour, $15 wage + $22.50 (15% tip). A union machinist which is a skilled job, does not receive $35 an hour in most locations.

I can see your point. At $15 an hour and the increases in the price of the offerings, both the employer and employee have gotten raises. TIPS (To Insure Prompt Service) are a percentage of a sale. When I go out with my wife and the bill for a 1 hour dinner is $150--I am not going to pay a server $37.50 an hour, $15 wage + $22.50 (15% tip). A union machinist which is a skilled job, does not receive $35 an hour in most locations.
Servers aren't making $15 an hour plus tips in wages, Concerned...as before they would be making a minimum of $15 including their tips.
By the way...nobody tips 15% anymore. If your wife and you had a bill of $150 for the two of you then it's obvious that you're eating at a fine dining restaurant and that server probably does that job for a living and has a great deal of knowledge about the food and wines.

That's not logic. That's rationalizing.
These days a server gets 3 and maybe 4 tables per shift because that's all they can handle due to the lack of professionalism. (Instead of 5)
Before, when servers didn't pay taxes, they drove nice cars and there was a line of people waiting for you to lose your job.
Today there's never enough to fully staff a restaurant.

And many places aren't safe today to eat at as the servers are skimming your credit card number and sending it off to a friend in another country.

The difference between the two periods is that if things hadn't changed most wait-staff would be earning around $60-90K/yr equivalent..

But what are restaurant prices like in your tiny country?
Our country the size of the UK? More expensive than in the US for a lot of things, from what I read. The price of a living wage. I understand Christians can't accept that.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that server isn't keeping all of your tip. In most high end establishments they will be tipping out a busser, a food runner, the bartender and a wine steward.

Forum List

Back