Why so much hate for the Confederacy.? It can't be about slavery.

Slavery was the status quo that the South sought to maintain by seceding, in the wake of Lincoln's election.

Lincoln was not on the ballot in 10 states..

The fight was over states rights, slavery was just the cause used..

As a panel of historians emphasized in 2011, "while slavery and its various and multifaceted discontents were the primary cause of disunion, it was disunion itself that sparked the war."
Never said otherwise.

What I said was that slavery was an underlying cause, and that that underlying cause became a primary motivating factor, as the war progressed and the populist opinion on the subject evolved.

So then you admit the civil war was not about slavery, but about states rights..
Read the Corner Stone speech. It will educate you on the fact the war was about slavery as far as the south was concerned.

So then you admit the civil war was not about slavery, but about states rights..
Well, if you want to go down that route, actually it was about preserving Federal property.

It is not what I want, it is what it is actually all about. States rights!

Slavery was just used as the rally cry..

Slavery was the status quo that the South sought to maintain by seceding, in the wake of Lincoln's election.

As a panel of historians emphasized in 2011, "while slavery and its various and multifaceted discontents were the primary cause of disunion, it was disunion itself that sparked the war."
Never said otherwise.

What I said was that slavery was an underlying cause, and that that underlying cause became a primary motivating factor, as the war progressed and the populist opinion on the subject evolved.

Read the Corner Stone speech. It will educate you on the fact the war was about slavery as far as the south was concerned.

Yes I know many want to deny facts, especially far left drones..

It was about states rights, not any other reason..

Yes, it was about slavery. The confederacy wanted to secede from the union - willing to fight against their own country, fellow citizens, even family - in order preserve what they percieved as their right to keep slaves.

It was about Sates rights not slavery.
The modern version of the left has been used to make it about slavery because modern libs of today do not believe in State rights.
The state rights tone was set in the preamble to the Confederate Constitution in the significant phrase, "each State acting in its sovereign and independent character."
States Rights One of the Causes of the Civil War

The Confederate Flag Needs To Be Raised, Not Lowered

Megyn Kelly . Com ^ | 7/9/2015 | Megyn Kelly
Ladies and gentlemen, I submit that what we see happening in the United States today is an apt illustration of why the Confederate flag was raised in the first place. What we see materializing before our very eyes is tyranny: tyranny over the freedom of expression, tyranny over the freedom of association, tyranny over the freedom of speech, and tyranny over the freedom of conscience. In 1864, Confederate General Patrick Cleburne warned his fellow southerners of the historical consequences should the South lose their war for independence. He was truly a prophet. He said if the South lost, “It means...

No, it was about preserving Federal property, not any other reason.

Yes I know the far left loves to spin history to suit their narratives..

It was about states rights, it could have been over coffee beans, but the rally cry was because of slavery.

Just like the Boston Tea party, according to the logic displayed here it was about the tea and not the taxation without representation..

States are not sovereign, they have not so been since the Constitution was ratified at least.

It was about states rights, it could have been over coffee beans, but the rally cry was because of slavery.
The South may well have gone to war to assert the rights of its states to form a government based on the inferiority of the black man, but the North went to war to preserve Federal property.

The Confederate Flag Needs To Be Raised, Not Lowered

Megyn Kelly . Com ^ | 7/9/2015 | Megyn Kelly
Ladies and gentlemen, I submit that what we see happening in the United States today is an apt illustration of why the Confederate flag was raised in the first place. What we see materializing before our very eyes is tyranny: tyranny over the freedom of expression, tyranny over the freedom of association, tyranny over the freedom of speech, and tyranny over the freedom of conscience. In 1864, Confederate General Patrick Cleburne warned his fellow southerners of the historical consequences should the South lose their war for independence. He was truly a prophet. He said if the South lost, “It means...
Yeah.

Megyn Kelly didn't write that.

A White Supremacist extremist did.

And it filled with yooooooooge piles of errors all the way through.

Not a surprise to see you post it.

Never said otherwise.

1. I admit that the Civil War BEGAN as a matter of States Rights.

2. I admit that the Civil War BEGAN and REMAINED as a matter of Preserving the Union.

3. I submit that the Civil War EVOLVED into a struggle that ALSO included the Abolition of Slavery as a prime motivating factor in continuing and prosecuting the war.

The cause and stated purpose of the Confederacy was to preserve, protect, defend and expand slavery - and they elevated the institution to something they glorified on their currency.

notes00007.jpg

notes00061.jpg

notes00058.jpg

picking_cotton.jpg
Close-up image from 1862 Mississipi
$50 bill. From Beyond Face Value.

Slaves working the field --

[
Yeah ok. The civil war wasn't about slavery. Which is why the south tried to secede after Lincoln's election. Nope. Nothing to do with slavery at all. :lol:

HAHAHA. Knocking down straw men again, i see. No one said slavery had NOTHING to do with the CW. But it was about number 5 on the list of what the war was about. THINK

Both sides didn't " practice wide- spread slavery". There were only slave states and free states. Most of the slave states seceeded but not all. That doesn't make the union pro slavery Corky. Just another (albeit somewhat retarded) attempt at revision.

Not much for logic are you?. You admit the union had 4 slave states and yet you claim the union was NOT pro-slavery???!!!

No question about that. LIncoln himself said it many times. He wanted to preserve the union. He opposed slavery but didn't want to do anything about it.

Carpetbaggers and Damned Yankees! Just cannot stand that the South rose again and is doing better than many of those northern states now.

[

I slightly disagree. There were many issues and states rights was one of them. The war was also about profiteering and tariffs and the simple fact that the north and south hated each other. Certainly states rights was a bigger cause than slavery..

Forum List

Back