Why Ted Cruz Will NOT Win A Contested Convention

COLORADO GOP DECIDES VOTERS DON'T NEED TO VOTE. WAIT! WHAT?

The plan was to hold caucus meetings to select delegates not pledged to any particular candidate, in order for the Colorado delegation to have more influence. But it didn’t work out that way. When the Convention met on Saturday, Cruz operatives were able to place Cruz delegates into all 34 slots.

And according to Republican delegate hopeful Larry Wayne Lindsey, he was refused credentials because he was a Trump supporter. “I’ve been in line for about 45 mins trying to get into the arena for the caucus. I am a delegate but we’ll see whether or not they have provided my credentials for me. I as threatened if I tried to vote for trump I would be replaced, my vote nullified, and they would replace me with an alternate of their choosing.”

A little later, when he was denied entry to the convention, Lindsey said, “I guess my precinct captain made good on her threats. My name is no longer on the roster as a delegate. I have been removed and replaced. My vote nullified because I voted for Trump. I am unbelievably pissed. I am sick to death with how dishonest and corrupt these people are in Douglas county for the GOP. I’m ashamed to call myself a republican.”

So Cruz maneuvered, and plotted, and got his people named as Colorado delegates.

And there was never a vote among Colorado Republicans.

Instead Cruz won 34 delegates in a system in Colorado that didn’t even bother to ask voters.

A rigged system?

Certainly looks that way.

More WHINY propaganda... Nothing was rigged, no rules were changed... Trump and Cruz both knew what the caucus rules were in Colorado.... Ya BOY LOST! Grow up and get over it... pull up your big girl panties and move on! He'll win NY and you can cheer and celebrate again. He won't get the 1,237 delegates he needs and you can cry foul all you like.. LION TED will be your GOP nominee.

IT was ALL rigged and the rules were not changed, they were trampled all over and ignored.

roflmao, you sure do like Straw Man arguments, bubba

Nope... you can believe that if you like... it's just not true.

Truth is of no interest to "Honest Jim" whatsoever.

The plan was to hold caucus meetings to select delegates not pledged to any particular candidate, in order for the Colorado delegation to have more influence. But it didn’t work out that way. When the Convention met on Saturday, Cruz operatives were able to place Cruz delegates into all 34 slots.

And according to Republican delegate hopeful Larry Wayne Lindsey, he was refused credentials because he was a Trump supporter. “I’ve been in line for about 45 mins trying to get into the arena for the caucus. I am a delegate but we’ll see whether or not they have provided my credentials for me. I as threatened if I tried to vote for trump I would be replaced, my vote nullified, and they would replace me with an alternate of their choosing.”

A little later, when he was denied entry to the convention, Lindsey said, “I guess my precinct captain made good on her threats. My name is no longer on the roster as a delegate. I have been removed and replaced. My vote nullified because I voted for Trump. I am unbelievably pissed. I am sick to death with how dishonest and corrupt these people are in Douglas county for the GOP. I’m ashamed to call myself a republican.”

So Cruz maneuvered, and plotted, and got his people named as Colorado delegates.

Instead Cruz won 34 delegates in a system in Colorado that didn’t even bother to ask voters.

A rigged system?

No, it's just a system, one that Cruz took the time to understand and work with, and Trump decided he could bypass with his usual dog-and-pony show. Trump failed, and Cruz didn't.

Right Cecilie, but can you please explain the republican nomination system in Colorado?

Forgive me, I am a Colorado native, and I never took the civics class required to understand the Republican nomination process here. But If you live here, you will know I am not alone. The local talk shows have taken to bringing on experts to explain it. Thank God! Here is what I think I've learned-

There is no voting
You may or may not be able to voice an opinion, but only for 10 seconds.
There is no voting
People you don't know will do all the important stuff.
There is no voting
You'll will find out who you want as nominee when they tell you.
Oh and there is no voting

I don't live in Colorado. I frankly had to sit down and figure out the basics myself when this whole thing broke over the weekend, and I think the Colorado GOP is a giant clusterfuck at the moment.

As far as I can determine, Colorado had a caucus system that was very vulnerable to fringe candidates who otherwise got nowhere in the primary and were quite likely not even still in the race by convention time, which basically left Colorado disenfranchised at the convention, at least on the first ballot. There was a push to replace it with a primary, but the party got caught up in a quagmire of factional squabbling. They had looked at having a binding straw poll, but rejected it. I believe they are still planning to have a straw poll that is not binding, but after this kerfuffle, they may decide not to.

Back in August, the Colorado GOP announced that they wouldn't be holding a primary or a caucus, but would instead have a convention of delegates, with - apparently - a bunch of confusing procedures. Not having been there, I can't even begin to explain the vast majority of those. But they were all made publicly available, and certainly provided to the individual campaigns. We do know from statements by Trump campaign strategists that he did get those rules and procedures, and decided that the system would not favor him, and so decided to basically blow the state off.

Colorado will send 37 delegates to the GOP convention. Of those, 13 delegates were actually assigned at the convention over the weekend, chosen by the votes of the delegates to the state convention. Another 21 were awarded by Congressional district in votes held in those districts throughout the week, also delegate votes, one assumes. Ted Cruz had already picked up six of those by the time Trump's campaign even got around to putting staff into the area. The last three Colorado delegates are so-called "super delegates", who go to the national convention with the ability to vote however they like.

For the record, there ended up being something like 619 or so candidates running for the 13 delegate slots at the convention. About 30% or so of those running were Cruz supporters. Only 7 percent were Trump supporters, and the rest were running as uncommitted. So without actually going and putting in the legwork, Trump didn't have a hope in Hell of taking home any of those delegate slots, no matter what else happened.

Now, at the convention, the candidates for the delegate slots are all assigned a number, and they appear on the ballot only by number, one assumes because 619 candidates would take up a lot of space. The party issued a program listing all the candidate names and numbers, but without any indication of who they were supporting. Apparently, the program was badly printed and the list stopped at #589 or thereabouts, requiring them to provide an amendment to post the rest of the names. One of the bitches by the Trump people is that "not everyone got that information", but since they put the correction up on two big-ass screens over the main stage and everyone else seemed to manage to figure it out, one wonders what the Trump people were doing with their time instead.

Various factions at the convention put together a favored slate of candidates according to whom they were supporting, and passed out printed guides as to who was on those slates. Trump's people put out printed sheets that contained numerous errors, such as mislabeling people with the wrong number. They issued corrections, which themselves were full of errors.

In addition to their fuck-up with the programs, the Colorado GOP also managed to include a typo in the ballot itself. One delegate number was left off, and in its place the previous delegate number was listed twice. Like I said, the Colorado GOP appears to have all the organizational skills of a middle school campaign for student body president.

Again, I will gladly point out to the Trump Whiners who complain about "voice of the people" being ignored.... Trump currently has received 37% of the popular vote nationwide yet holds 45% of the delegates.... So you need to tell Mr. Trump that you support "voice of the people" in this process and he needs to release 8% of his delegates immediately.

Otherwise... Shut your pie hole!

Lol, that is how a delegation system works, those who win get more and those who lose get less than proportional.

But when the state CHEATS dues paying members by stripping them fro,m the ballot? That is just low life thug character.

Again... You want "will of the people" then have Trump forfeit 8% of his delegates and let's make this FAIR! Otherwise, you're just blowing smoke and whining because ya boy didn't win.

No one was stripped from the ballot who followed the process. The ONE example you have presented is someone who failed to attend his county caucus and disqualified himself. Too bad... that's the rules and everyone knew them going in. If they didn't, they should have. Cruz delegates certainly knew the rules.

But again, you want "voice of the voter" and "will of the people" to decide the nominee... we need for Trump to give up 8% of his delegates.

Actually, one person - ONE - was left off the ballot due to a typo. The number prior to hers was listed twice.

Again, I will gladly point out to the Trump Whiners who complain about "voice of the people" being ignored.... Trump currently has received 37% of the popular vote nationwide yet holds 45% of the delegates.... So you need to tell Mr. Trump that you support "voice of the people" in this process and he needs to release 8% of his delegates immediately.

Hey Boss, what was the vote count in Colorado? HINT - consider in your answer that there was NO vote in Colorado. How is that accounted for in
". Trump currently has received 37% of the popular vote nationwide yet holds 45% of the delegates..."?
I know you can see there is something wrong in Colorado.

Yeah, he has 45% of the delegates in the states that held votes, and 37% of the actual votes in those states.

If Colorado follows through on its plan to have a non-binding straw poll, then we can adjust for that if you like, but the fact is still going to remain that Trump has a much larger share of the delegates than he does of the votes, and no one else is whining about being "robbed".

It's long past time for Trump to put on his big-boy Underoos and accept that American politics is a rough-and-tumble, bare-knuckled procedure. Always has been. He should be grateful it's actually more civilized now than in the past.

A rigged system?

More WHINY propaganda... Nothing was rigged, no rules were changed... Trump and Cruz both knew what the caucus rules were in Colorado.... Ya BOY LOST! Grow up and get over it... pull up your big girl panties and move on! He'll win NY and you can cheer and celebrate again. He won't get the 1,237 delegates he needs and you can cry foul all you like.. LION TED will be your GOP nominee.

IT was ALL rigged and the rules were not changed, they were trampled all over and ignored.

Really? What rules did they ignore and trample on? And I mean REAL rules, not your vague ideas of how you THOUGHT things worked.

They didn't break any rules. The rules in Colorado clearly state-

"nobody gets to vote, people who attend a caucus will be put in a room and told who they want as their nominee. People who are wrong about who the winner should be will be stripped of their credentials." It's a streamline system which saves money, because Colorado Republicans have fiscal responsibility.

Hey Boss, what was the vote count in Colorado? HINT - consider in your answer that there was NO vote in Colorado. How is that accounted for in
". Trump currently has received 37% of the popular vote nationwide yet holds 45% of the delegates..."?

Yeah, he has 45% of the delegates in the states that held votes, and 37% of the actual votes in those states.

If Colorado follows through on its plan to have a non-binding straw poll, then we can adjust for that if you like, but the fact is still going to remain that Trump has a much larger share of the delegates than he does of the votes, and no one else is whining about being "robbed".

It's long past time for Trump to put on his big-boy Underoos and accept that American politics is a rough-and-tumble, bare-knuckled procedure. Always has been. He should be grateful it's actually more civilized now than in the past.

Ok, I got it. Politics is a rough and tumble, so nobody in Colorado gets to vote. Clear as mud. i live hear man......people don't understand why they have no voice/no vote. it takes experts on local radio stations to explain the convoluted system put in place by party insiders. Reps screwed the pooch here.

A rigged system?

The party eliminated the primary last August. Interestingly the change was criticized as favoring non-establishment candidates Several other states use a similar process. North Dakota delegates can vote for anyone they like.

I haven't followed Colorado but it does seem that Trump pretty much ignored the state preferring to use his resources in NY. Cruz has been working these delegates for weeks if not months visiting all the district caucus.

I am not upset with the GOP leadership in Colorado for changing from a primary to an appointed system, but they broke their own rules by arbitrarily stripping off the ballot a great many Trump supporters and that is wrong.

Stripped a great many Trump supporters, huh? HOW many is "a great many"? Exactly how many Trump supporters were purged . . . oops, I mean "stripped", since you're now avoiding your previous term after making a bald-faced, lying laughingstock out of yourself while using it.

Or are you now going to try to tell me that you didn't say "stripped a great many Trump supporters", because I left out some apocryphcal qualifier that changed the whole meaning of the direct quote from your own post again?

Will Cecilie or Boss please provide the number of votes that Cruz got versus Trump in Colorado? I can't find it anywhere.

What the fuck is wrong with you people, did you never study this stuff in high school? Each state has it's own rules for caucuses and primaries. There is not a ballot vote for candidates in Colorado. Previously, they have had "presidential preference" polls but delegates are not bound by those. In 2015, the Republican Party of Colorado decided not to have the preference polls and awarded the delegates through county caucuses.

Fact is, in MOST states, you do not vote directly for a candidate, you vote for their delegates... IF you vote at all. Some states hold caucuses.... some hold primaries. It's how the system works and how it's been working for as long as we've held presidential elections. You act like this is some kind of new unprecedented thing that just happened in Colorado because the GOP didn't want to count the votes or something.

If Trump had won the delegates in Colorado, there would have been absolutely nothing said about this. The ONLY REASON it is a story is because TRUMP started claiming outrage over the process... a process he knew full well was going to be as it was for the entirety of this campaign. He failed to secure the delegates through the process laid out by the state party and now he wants to cry foul. You abject MORONS join in the chorus because you're apparently ILLITERATE about how the process works. I learned about this stuff in 8th grade!

So why don't you morons go learn something about how we nominate candidates in America and shut the fuck up with your incessant whining and moaning. I can't help that you're an illiterate. I can't do anything about the rules of the Republican Party of Colorado. They don't ask me what I think, I don't get included in their decisions. Ted Cruz doesn't either. So what the fuck do you expect us to do about that? You think maybe Ted Cruz should refuse to accept Colorado's delegates or something? Maybe he should just resign from the party in protest? Is THAT what you expect to happen?

I totally don't get this! What the hell are you people expecting to happen here? You think if you bitch and moan enough, Colorado might change it's mind and hold a primary or something? I don't think any of this stuff is going to happen and I think you're all going to have to just grow the fuck up and learn to live with this. I don't know what else to tell you but the incessant whining and complaining isn't serving any purpose.

A rigged system?

Really? What rules did they ignore and trample on? And I mean REAL rules, not your vague ideas of how you THOUGHT things worked.

They didn't break any rules. The rules in Colorado clearly state-

"nobody gets to vote, people who attend a caucus will be put in a room and told who they want as their nominee. People who are wrong about who the winner should be will be stripped of their credentials." It's a streamline system which saves money, because Colorado Republicans have fiscal responsibility.

I did not find your link to the specific rule citation you quoted, though I searched your post in vain for it.

Perhaps you could correct that omission.

Ok, I got it. Politics is a rough and tumble, so nobody in Colorado gets to vote. Clear as mud. i live hear man......people don't understand why they have no voice/no vote. it takes experts on local radio stations to explain the convoluted system put in place by party insiders. Reps screwed the pooch here.

Nobody in Colorado got to vote primarily because your state GOP couldn't seem to get its shit together sufficiently to put a primary system in place. And, again, they're not required to. You may or may not think voting is the only acceptable, morally-pure way of deciding anything. You may even be right. The fact remains that they're not actually obligated to go that way.

You need to learn to separate primaries from real, official elections. Your right to vote only extends to governments; it means nothing to private organizations, and never will. If you buy 15 shares of Coca Cola, I guarantee you that you have no voice whatsoever in how the company runs its business or who it hires as its next CEO. All you get is the ability to sell your shares and go buy stock in Pepsi.

A rigged system?

The party eliminated the primary last August. Interestingly the change was criticized as favoring non-establishment candidates Several other states use a similar process. North Dakota delegates can vote for anyone they like.

I haven't followed Colorado but it does seem that Trump pretty much ignored the state preferring to use his resources in NY. Cruz has been working these delegates for weeks if not months visiting all the district caucus.

I am not upset with the GOP leadership in Colorado for changing from a primary to an appointed system, but they broke their own rules by arbitrarily stripping off the ballot a great many Trump supporters and that is wrong.

Stripped a great many Trump supporters, huh? HOW many is "a great many"? Exactly how many Trump supporters were purged . . . oops, I mean "stripped", since you're now avoiding your previous term after making a bald-faced, lying laughingstock out of yourself while using it.

Or are you now going to try to tell me that you didn't say "stripped a great many Trump supporters", because I left out some apocryphcal qualifier that changed the whole meaning of the direct quote from your own post again?

Will Cecilie or Boss please provide the number of votes that Cruz got versus Trump in Colorado? I can't find it anywhere.

Just as soon as you provide the source of the obligation they have to hold a vote.

What the fuck is wrong with you people, did you never study this stuff in high school? Each state has it's own rules for caucuses and primaries. There is not a ballot vote for candidates in Colorado. Previously, they have had "presidential preference" polls but delegates are not bound by those. In 2015, the Republican Party of Colorado decided not to have the preference polls and awarded the delegates through county caucuses.

Fact is, in MOST states, you do not vote directly for a candidate, you vote for their delegates... IF you vote at all. Some states hold caucuses.... some hold primaries. It's how the system works and how it's been working for as long as we've held presidential elections. You act like this is some kind of new unprecedented thing that just happened in Colorado because the GOP didn't want to count the votes or something.

If Trump had won the delegates in Colorado, there would have been absolutely nothing said about this. The ONLY REASON it is a story is because TRUMP started claiming outrage over the process... a process he knew full well was going to be as it was for the entirety of this campaign. He failed to secure the delegates through the process laid out by the state party and now he wants to cry foul. You abject MORONS join in the chorus because you're apparently ILLITERATE about how the process works. I learned about this stuff in 8th grade!

So why don't you morons go learn something about how we nominate candidates in America and shut the fuck up with your incessant whining and moaning. I can't help that you're an illiterate. I can't do anything about the rules of the Republican Party of Colorado. They don't ask me what I think, I don't get included in their decisions. Ted Cruz doesn't either. So what the fuck do you expect us to do about that? You think maybe Ted Cruz should refuse to accept Colorado's delegates or something? Maybe he should just resign from the party in protest? Is THAT what you expect to happen?

I totally don't get this! What the hell are you people expecting to happen here? You think if you bitch and moan enough, Colorado might change it's mind and hold a primary or something? I don't think any of this stuff is going to happen and I think you're all going to have to just grow the fuck up and learn to live with this. I don't know what else to tell you but the incessant whining and complaining isn't serving any purpose.

This entire primary season has been a giant civics lesson, and the first thing we all learned is how monumentally ignorant the vast majority of the country is when it comes to civics.

Second lesson was what a bunch of hyper-emotional drama queens the majority of the country is.

Nobody in Colorado got to vote primarily because your state GOP couldn't seem to get its shit together sufficiently to put a primary system in place. And, again, they're not required to. You may or may not think voting is the only acceptable, morally-pure way of deciding anything. You may even be right. The fact remains that they're not actually obligated to go that way.

You need to learn to separate primaries from real, official elections. Your right to vote only extends to governments; it means nothing to private organizations, and never will. If you buy 15 shares of Coca Cola, I guarantee you that you have no voice whatsoever in how the company runs its business or who it hires as its next CEO. All you get is the ability to sell your shares and go buy stock in Pepsi.

exactly it is an organization and they are free to do as they please

so why should they bother with a popular vote in the other 49 states

why not just pick a guy and say this is who we are running

Boss, I left the Republican Party about 8 years ago for 2 main reasons- I no longer wanted to be associated with the religious right (their dogma was really creeping me out) and the leadership seemed spineless in the defense and advancement of conservative ideas, so I concluded there was no point. Cast my first vote for Ronnie R. and have never picked a Dem over a Rep since. I own guns and hate commies.

Here at ground zero in Colorado, there are a lot of Good conservative people pissed as hell about the shenanigans in the process. Call them whiny morons if you like, tell them they are too stupid to understand the process, say they are illiterate because they don't spend the time you do studying the system..........and then scratch your arrogant head in November wondering how a person like Hillary can become President.

The GOP is getting what it sows, and they have elitist intellectuals like you to carry their water for them. That's sad man.

Boss, I left the Republican Party about 8 years ago for 2 main reasons- I no longer wanted to be associated with the religious right (their dogma was really creeping me out) and the leadership seemed spineless in the defense and advancement of conservative ideas, so I concluded there was no point. Cast my first vote for Ronnie R. and have never picked a Dem over a Rep since. I own guns and hate commies.

Here at ground zero in Colorado, there are a lot of Good conservative people pissed as hell about the shenanigans in the process. Call them whiny morons if you like, tell them they are too stupid to understand the process, say they are illiterate because they don't spend the time you do studying the system..........and then scratch your arrogant head in November wondering how a person like Hillary can become President.

The GOP is getting what it sows, and they have elitist intellectuals like you to carry their water for them. That's sad man.

Dont worry, it's all God's Work.

178048_600.jpg

Cruz won't win a contested convention cuz their won't be one. Trump will reach the required delegates (1237) and then some in June. You can take that to the bank unless he fucks everything up and self destructs. Otherwise count on Trump reaching the magic number in June 2016.

Screen shot it and post in on your wall :lol:
Unless Trump Self destructs? Really? He has already run the most atypical campaign in modern history, he has said and done so many things wrong there are too many to list. Just how does he self destruct?
Lol'ing at your username....love it :lmao:

I don't think he will self destruct thus my 'taking it to the bank' comment. That's the one and only thing that will stop him, and from where I'm sitting I just don't see that happening

A rigged system?

You're missing the point. Its not how fair the Colorado contest was or even what the rules were. Its how fair the Colorado contest *looked*, and how the rules can be framed.

Many of Trump's supporters are already on an anti-establishment hair trigger. Especially since a brokered convention seems increasingly likely. It won't take much to convince them that the party is screwing them.

This is all part of a carefully calculated MAD defense. Where Trump has his supporters so primed to walk away from the GOP that the GOP knows it will almost certainly lose the race if Trump isn't nominated.

Ultimately I think the GOP's convention choice will be based on the Senate and House races. They're fucked either way, presidentially. But if going with Trump costs endangers Senate and House seats to a significantly greater degree than not going with Trump......they'll dump Trump. If not, they'll probably stick with him.

There is a lot of emotion involved. So its hard to predict outcomes as emotion tends to lean on the irrational more than reason.

Last edited:

exactly it is an organization and they are free to do as they please

so why should they bother with a popular vote in the other 49 states

why not just pick a guy and say this is who we are running

Already explained that a few times, in a few different places. Go find them, because I have no intention of repeating myself ad nauseam.

Seems like what there are in Colorado are a bunch of lazy couch monkeys who think "shenanigans" is anything that requires them to actually pay attention, think, and put in a little effort, rather than just waking up one morning, going, "Oh, geez, there's a vote!" and trundling down to a polling place to fill in a bubble on a piece of paper for a name they barely recognize.

There at ground zero in Colorado, you had your chance for your precious vote last month, March 1. That's when their county precincts held caucuses for them to choose their delegates to the next level of meetings. All registered Republicans in the precinct were eligible to vote in those caucuses. There were notices sent out, as well as posted all over the web pages for the county GOPs, and has been for months.

So . . . who did you vote for at YOUR precinct caucus? :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back