Why the 2nd Amendment needs to be reconsidered...

I would say I have a moral obligation.
I would say you're full of shit.

And only one of us is right.

Hint: Not you.

So if someone put a gun to his head because his girlfriend broke up with him, you woulnd't try to talk him out of it?

So much for being "Pro-Life".
Impressive strawman.

Actually, it's just as much as failure as all your other arguments.

But let's change the scenario just a bit:

A man's girlfriend broke up with him. He went to her house with a gun.

You'd rather he murdered her than she defended herself with a gun.

This is undeniable. Don't bother denying it.

You're a piece of shit. This, too, is undeniable. Don't bother denying it.

Not sure what that had to do with anything I said, but okay, please go there.

Incidently, the government DID make allowances for airplanes as part of the armed forces. They created the Air Force as a separate branch of the military and combined the Navy and War Departments into a unified "Department of Defense"....

In short they ADAPTED to the technology.

MOre to the point, if you use the logic of the National Rampage Association, private citizens should be able to have armed fighter craft... but I think the FAA would want to have a word with you if you tried that.

And the 2nd amendment adapted to technology as well.
In the late 18th century, out forefathers forsaw the possibility that citizens might have to defend themselves from a government armed with these:

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

230 years later, citizens need to be armed in the eventuality that they have to defend against a government armed with these:

bushmaster_ar15_carbine.jpg

Sorry Joe. You lose again.

You did much better ranting against Mormons than firearms. Either go back to that or find a new shtick. Maybe Jews?

The Constitution does not nor did it ever advocate for the violent overthrow of the government.

In fact..it does the opposite.

yeah you're right, they had the second amendment, because they knew a huge gigantic government was good for people, those founders were big on welfare...and lack of freedom

Stop reading the HuffPo for history

They actually liked people owning guns and wanted to execute criminals...just the opposite of your positions

So say the convervatives who say that..

They know better than a woman and her doctor when an abortion is needed.

We know any chance for rights to the child are removed completely.

They know better than gays about whether their relationships are a marriage or not.

We know marriage is a religious institution and the state should stay out. Civil unions are the arena of the state.

They know better than Scientists on Global Warming.

We know science has not proven humans cause Global Warming. We also know the scientists have conveniently changed to the term Climate Change.

They know better than teachers on subjects like Evolution.

We know science can't expain where matter comes from.

Yupppers, no telling people how to run their lives there...

As long as I gots my gun and my bible!

My comments in blue.

Yes, you have thoroughly proven my point.

Science doesn't match your dogma, so you reject science.

You're the idiot who denies that a fetus most often becomes a fully functioning adult, unless a doctor interferes. You also assume random chance created life, which is not a very scientific explanation.

[

At least I'll have gone out fighting and not killed like a fucking sheep.

Actually, what you'll do is go out with a false sense of security... because that's all a gun in the home is...

Cases of gun defending homes are like Loch Ness Monster sightings- rare and don't really hold up to scrutiny.

You're so full of shit, your eyes are brown.

Tennessee family uses firearms to stop intruder - National Crime & Courts | Examiner.com

Intruder comes face to face with mom's gun | HLNtv.com

Homeowner Fires Gun To Scare Off Intruder, Suspect Caught

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130103/NEWS02/301030328/Muncie-woman-captures-intruder-BB-gun

Investigators: 15-year-old son of deputy shoots burglary suspect | khou.com Houston

[

Actually, what you'll do is go out with a false sense of security... because that's all a gun in the home is...

Cases of gun defending homes are like Loch Ness Monster sightings- rare and don't really hold up to scrutiny.

The evidence doesn't back up your claim here:

The National Self-Defense Survey indicated that there were 2.5 million incidents of defensive gun use per year in the U.S. during the 1988-1993 period. This is probably a conservative estimate, for two reasons. First, cases of respondents intentionally withholding reports of genuine defensive-gun uses were probably more common than cases of respondents reporting incidents that did not occur or that were not genuinely defensive. Second, the survey covered only adults age 18 and older, thereby excluding all defensive gun uses involving adolescents, the age group most likely to suffer a violent victimization.

The authors concluded that defensive uses of guns are about three to four times as common as criminal uses of guns. The National Self-Defense Survey confirmed the picture of frequent defensive gun use implied by the results of earlier, less sophisticated surveys.

A national survey conducted in 1994 by the Police Foundation and sponsored by the National Institute of Justice almost exactly confirmed the estimates from the National Self-Defense Survey. This survey's person-based estimate was that 1.44% of the adult population had used a gun for protection against a person in the previous year, implying 2.73 million defensive gun users. These results were well within sampling error of the corresponding 1.33% and 2.55 million estimates produced by the National Self-Defense Survey.

The one survey that is clearly not suitable for estimating the total number of defensive gun uses is the National Crime Victimization Survey. This is the only survey that has ever generated results implying an annual defensive-gun-use estimate under 700,000. Not surprisingly, it is a favorite of academic gun-control supporters. If one is to make even a pretense of empirically supporting the claim that defensive gun use is rare in America, one must rely on the National Crime Victimization Survey, warts and all.

That the National Crime Victimization Survey estimate is radically wrong is now beyond serious dispute. Ultimately, the only foundation one ever has for knowing that a measurement is wrong is that it is inconsistent with other measurements of the same phenomenon. There are now at least 15 other independent estimates of the frequency of defensive gun uses and every one of them is enormously larger than the National-Crime-Victimization-Survey estimate. Unanimity is rare in studies of crime, but this is one of those rare cases. Apparently, however, even unanimous and overwhelming evidence is not sufficient to dissuade the gun control advocacy organizations, such as Handgun Control, Inc., and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, that the National Crime Victimization Survey estimate is at least approximately valid and that defensive gun use is rare.

The numerous surveys yielding contrary estimates strongly support the view that the National-Crime-Victimization-Survey estimate is grossly erroneous.

There has probably been more outright dishonesty in addressing the issue of the frequency of defensive gun use than any other issue in the gun control debate. Faced with a huge body of evidence contradicting their low defensive-gun-use position, hard- core gun-control supporters have had little choice but to simply promote the unsuitable National-Crime-Victimization-Survey estimate and ignore or discount everything else. Authors writing in medical and public health journals are typically the most crudely dishonest--they simply withhold from their readers the very existence of a mountain of contradictory evidence.

Whole essay here:
Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck, Ph.D.

The best plan is for those who fail to keep their guns secured so that the kids or those known to be mentally unbalanced don't have easy access to them, and IF there is an accident or violent act, to charge the gun owner with negligence. It is no different than any other hazardous attractive nuisance including leaving your car keys where the kids can get them and then the kid takes the car without permission and has an accident.

Otherwise just leave those alone who for whatever reason want to own a firearm, most especially those who want one for self protection.

If banning or strictly controlling firearms was a solution, then Chicago and Washington DC that have some of the toughest gun control laws in the country would be among our safest cities. Neither are. Pushing for responsible gun ownership as the cultural norm is the only way to go.

Will the left ever quit whining about the unfairness of the US Constitution? What other Amendments do we need to "reconsider"? The first seems pretty unfair with all those right wing talk show hosts operating in the open.

So if someone put a gun to his head because his girlfriend broke up with him, you woulnd't try to talk him out of it?

If anyone I know is so pathetic as to put a gun to his head over a break up I'd tell him to pull the trigger.

And again, everything that is diseased and wrong with modern conservatism.

It lacks any human compassion, which is why most decent people reject it.

This is what a dying movement looks like, people. Everyone have a good look.

[

You're so full of shit, your eyes are brown.

]

No, they really don't stand up... but that's okay, man, I know that you need to keep toughting these few rare cases because hey, people are finally getting serious about gun control.

My comments in blue.

Yes, you have thoroughly proven my point.

Science doesn't match your dogma, so you reject science.

You're the idiot who denies that a fetus most often becomes a fully functioning adult, unless a doctor interferes. You also assume random chance created life, which is not a very scientific explanation.

That's not true.

In fact only one out of three fertilized zygotes actually attach to the uterine wall.

But we don't have funerals over tampons. Or miscarriages, for that matter.

Nobody loses their shit over miscarriage the way they lose their shit over a dead baby.

Impressive strawman.

The only reason why this scenario exists is because this guy was legally able to acquire a gun.

Because- once again- that gun is 43 times more likely to be used in a suicide or domestic murder than a self defense application.

The peice of shit is the guy who looks at 30,000 murders and suicides and figures, "Shit, no one's gonna take my gun!"

Impressive strawman.

The only reason why this scenario exists is because this guy was legally able to acquire a gun.

Because- once again- that gun is 43 times more likely to be used in a suicide or domestic murder than a self defense application.

The peice of shit is the guy who looks at 30,000 murders and suicides and figures, "Shit, no one's gonna take my gun!"

Is your neck permanently stained brown from having your head permanently up your ass...?

Impressive strawman.

Is your neck permanently stained brown from having your head permanently up your ass...?

Do you have anything to add to the conversation besides non-sequitors?

The gun industry is selling you a lie- that a gun makes you safer when it really doesn't.

Which is why we have 11,000 gun murders a year and 16,000 gun suicides...

I've known too many people who've had to bury kids who killed themselves with that gun they bought to protect their family.

The gun industry is selling you a lie- that a gun makes you safer when it really doesn't.

I've known too many people who've had to bury kids who killed themselves with that gun they bought to protect their family.

I 'spect you're exaggerating for the sake of argument...

but even if you're not (which I doubt)... what exactly is your proposal to change the situation regarding gun suicides...?

but even if you're not (which I doubt)... what exactly is your proposal to change the situation regarding gun suicides...?

Strict licensing to all gun owners that must be renewed.

Thorough background checks.

Mandetory use of trigger locks.

Raising awareness that guns do not belong in the same house with children.

But frankly, I'd just as soon ban all private gun ownership and call it a day. I'm tired of having to work around the fetishes of people compensating for small penises.

But frankly, I'd just as soon ban all private gun ownership and call it a day. I'm tired of having to work around the fetishes of people compensating for small penises.

no argument from me on thorough background checks...

but are you unaware, or do you simply refuse to acknowledge for whatever reason, the fact that guns are effectively used defensively by lawful citizens more than two million times a year... with no shots being fired in most such instances...

and, btw... you are, of course, aware of the fact that if guns are taken from lawful citizens, there will still be guns in circulation among the criminal element... right...?

eta... it never ceases to amaze me when anti-gunners mention penises...

personally, I don't own a gun... but then again, I have a fairly large penis, which I suppose might play into your fantasy... :)

eta... :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPf3kO-p7hc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPf3kO-p7hc[/ame]

Last edited:

Those numbers are a little off and I just checked them recently. There were 8,583 total homicides by firearms in 2011. I don't have a link for the suicides by firearms in my favorites, but from I recall it was over 20,000 and rather shocking. I was late starting a folder on gun control, so from now on I'm saving the good links to information.

FBI ? Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

[

but are you unaware, or do you simply refuse to acknowledge for whatever reason, the fact that guns are effectively used defensively by lawful citizens more than two million times a year... with no shots being fired in most such instances...

and, btw... you are, of course, aware of the fact that if guns are taken from lawful citizens, there will still be guns in circulation among the criminal element... right...?
:)

I've heard that number, it's a total bullshit number that doesn't pass the laugh test.

For instance, 56,000 Americans died in Vietnam. Not a huge number, but most people of my generation knew of a least one person who died in Vietnam. (in my case, it was the uncle of one of my classmates. They kept a weird shrine to him in their living room.)

Now, if you had 2 million people who defended themselves by using a gun, every year, that would be on out of 150 people in the country. We'd all know someone who did that. Probably lots of people. That would be 20 million people over a decade.

I don't.

I do know of two people who killed themselves with guns their families bought for protection.

Now, the NRA, which is really an arm of the manufacturers, not the owners, pushes that bullshit number because they are about sellng fear and selling guns.

Those numbers are a little off and I just checked them recently. There were 8,583 total homicides by firearms in 2011. I don't have a link for the suicides by firearms in my favorites, but from I recall it was over 20,000 and rather shocking. I was late starting a folder on gun control, so from now on I'm saving the good links to information.

Well, no, they aren't.

Gun Policy Facts and News

Very good source for gun murders around the world.

whatever the numbers, I agree that changes need to be made...

but I disagree with most of what's being proposed...

eta... it never ceases to amaze me when anti-gunners mention penises...

personally, I don't own a gun... but then again, I have a fairly large penis, which I suppose might play into your fantasy... :)

eta... :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPf3kO-p7hc]John Candy speaks swedish - YouTube[/ame]

I'm interested in how you managed to get that statistic and what the source was. Are you sure it isn't just something someone made up?

If someone is pro-gun, why wouldn't they supply a source for any information supporting their position?

Forum List

Back