Why Workers in Red States Vote Against Their Economic Self-Interest

IT'S HILARIOUS REALLY; left-wing idiots trying to lecture about voting against their own interests.
the top states for the hightest unemployment are Blue states; and the lowest unemployment is in Red states.

Why is it that the southern United states has the highest poverty rate in the United states for both Blacks and whites?

think what you're saying jackwagon. blue states have the most welfare; spend more on people and are nearly as poor.

because the South is more rural you idiot; most people with a brain know that cities are where you find most businesses; hence most jobs

:bsflag:factually incorrect :slap:

If government policies help all poor people, including blacks, then red state poor whites will oppose it.

Who doe NOT know this?

^winner winner, chicken dinner!^

bcc0a7a833ea5f08eeac607ed4ec10dc.jpg

For years, political scientists have wondered why so many poor and working-class citizens of so-called “red” states vote against their economic self-interest.
The wages of production workers have been dropping for 30 years, adjusted for inflation, and their economic security has disappeared. A smaller share of working-age Americans hold jobs today than at any time in more than three decades.
For them, a job is precious — sometimes even more precious than a safe workplace or safe drinking water.
This is especially true in poorer regions of the country like West Virginia and through much of Southern and rural America, where the old working class has been voting Republican. Guns, abortion and race are part of the explanation. But don’t overlook economic anxieties that translate into a willingness to vote for whatever it is that industry wants.
This may explain why Republican officials who have been casting their votes against unions, against expanding Medicaid, against raising the minimum wage, against extended unemployment insurance, and against jobs bills that would put people to work, continue to be elected and re-elected.
They obviously have the support of corporate patrons who want to keep unemployment high and workers insecure because a pliant working class helps their bottom lines.

As someone who has lived in the south for the past half of my life it always puzzled me why people in this region always vote against their self interests and defend the same people who exploit them . I attribute it to a plantation mentality ...

Low taxes, smaller government, individual responsibility and strong National defense.

Explain how these are against poor and middle class citizens interest.

Low Taxes benefit the wealthy and corporations. The bills still have to be paid. Smaller government is code for doing away with or kneecapping regulations that kept industry from pissing in the common well and kept them from having to pay for the damage they get caught doing, and financial institutions from doing what they did because they were unregulated and became "too big to fail." Individual responsibility is a method of individualizing social problems that require a group effort, and doubles as a way of limiting the social liability of the entities that caused the problems in the first place. A "strong national defense" also benefits the wealthy and corporations more than average citizens, by keeping the world market stable (or uncooperative nations unstable) for industry and finance to rape, pillage, steal, and plow the fields with salt. The average citizen pays for that with their lives, or the lives of their sons and daughters.

:asshole:

I can't help but be puzzled by this melodramatic response.

Low Taxes benefit the wealthy and corporations. The bills still have to be paid. Smaller government is code for doing away with or kneecapping regulations that kept industry from pissing in the common well and kept them from having to pay for the damage they get caught doing, and financial institutions from doing what they did because they were unregulated and became "too big to fail."

Lower taxes do more to benefit the poor and middle class by not making them poorer. Taxes are actually higher on the rich and corporations (I can pull tax brackets if I need to). Moreover, if you want to see people voting against their economic self interests, look no further than Detroit. There hasn't been a Republican mayor there since the early 1960's. The city is slowly dying because people can't let go of their greed for the betterment of their city, their home. Smaller government is no code, no hidden agenda for anything, it's a simple concept that brings business back home and eases overly burdensome regulations on small businesses. I simply don't understand why you think we need more and more regulation when the exact opposite should be true.

Individual responsibility is a method of individualizing social problems that require a group effort, and doubles as a way of limiting the social liability of the entities that caused the problems in the first place.

No. You're over-analyzing it. Individual responsibility is what it is. Being responsible doesn't involve working on "social problems" it's more along the lines of "actual problems" rooted in reality. By having people make a living off of entitlements, you are causing more "social problems" than you're solving. The entity causing them is your very own government. Individual responsibility means getting off of your rear and not depending on your government to coddle you every step of your life.

A "strong national defense" also benefits the wealthy and corporations more than average citizens, by keeping the world market stable (or uncooperative nations unstable) for industry and finance to rape, pillage, steal, and plow the fields with salt. The average citizen pays for that with their lives, or the lives of their sons and daughters.

No it doesn't. Not everything benefits "the wealthy and corporations." I hear all of this talk of "military industrial complexes" and whatnot, when in all actuality, the Constitution requires us to maintain an army, navy and militias via congress to defend from foreign invaders "hence a strong national defense." What this does not mean however, is that we go gallivanting around the world starting needless wars with people.

Last edited:
"If you can convince the lowest white man hes better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him someone to look down on and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Let's reverse this quote for a moment, and take a moment to realize this quote came from a Democratic president. Perhaps you should think about who came up with that quote before posting it. This should prove how racist Democrats were during Lyndon Johnson's time, and frankly how racist they are right now.

Okay

1) As far as convincing a race that they are superior to another, just take a look at what Democrats are doing to African Americans. By taking advantage of their ancestry, their race and whatnot; they are convincing the lowly black man that THEY are superior to the best white man, all while being taken advantage of in the process. Moreover, Democrats give them a white man to look down upon.

2) Thus, as it can be easily deduced, that by doing such, they will empty their pockets by voting for candidates and people who in reality are doing nothing but milking them dry, and keeping them wrapped around the finger of government via unemployment, entitlement programs or handouts. Don't believe me? Take a look at the overall African American unemployment rate.

Last edited:

So the only reason to vote for something is so that someone will give you something?

Maybe not everyone thinks that way.

Liberals tend to greedy and self absorbed.

I think a better word has been found for today's "conservatives."

51746699ff5215cd73ae78719e50a4da.jpg

Reminds me of what liberals are doing at the moment, truthfully. Also, it's this republic that makes liberals just as rich and manipulative as any conservative. Your class warfare arguments are old and weak.

The concept that people of conscience vote for what is best for the country rather than getting the most from government for themselves is so foreign to liberals that it defies their ability to comprehend.

"If you can convince the lowest white man hes better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him someone to look down on and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Let's reverse this quote for a moment, and take a moment to realize this quote came from a Democratic president. Perhaps you should think about who came up with that quote before posting it. This should prove how racist Democrats were during Lyndon Johnson's time, and frankly how racist they are right now.

Okay

1) As far as convincing a race that they are superior to another, just take a look at what Democrats are doing to African Americans. By taking advantage of their ancestry, their race and whatnot; they are convincing the lowly black man that THEY are superior to the best white man, all while being taken advantage of in the process. Moreover, Democrats give them a white man to look down upon.

2) Thus, as it can be easily deduced, that by doing such, they will empty their pockets by voting for candidates and people who in reality are doing nothing but milking them dry, and keeping them wrapped around the finger of government via unemployment, entitlement programs or handouts. Don't believe me? Take a look at the overall African American unemployment rate.

The rubber / glue argument may have put you at the top of the lunchroom last semester, TP, but you're going to have to improve your game going forward.

Besides, on January 1, 2014 (as engineered by Democrats), the rich began paying 4.6% more in taxes than before.

The top Income tax bracket went from 35% to 39.6% (which proves from the onset that the wealthy don't benefit from lower taxes, but in fact pay the most taxes). I would love if some liberal would bother telling the truth once in a while. It's quite bothersome to have to clean up all the distortions and mischaracterizations they spew.

Okay

The rubber / glue argument may have put you at the top of the lunchroom last semester, TP, but you're going to have to improve your game going forward.

You can try by actually arguing me cogently, or simply admit you were wrong. Insults are all you have left to hurl at me, Barb (how fitting of a name, since all you're doing is shooting "barbs" in my direction so far).

The concept that people of conscience vote for what is best for the country rather than getting the most from government for themselves is so foreign to liberals that it defies their ability to comprehend.

Do you ever really listen to yourselves and then take a good look around at the people who are selling you that line of shit? What are they doing to uphold that principle? Degrading everyone's standard of living is not "what's best for the country."

58570b3c431c9a426ae8d1d4b4382c13.jpg

Last edited:

Okay

You can try by actually arguing me cogently, or simply admit you were wrong. Insults are all you have left to hurl at me, Barb (how fitting of a name, since all you're doing is shooting "barbs" in my direction so far).

You have offered nothing to work with, TP. I won't debate your emotions or your bullshit lies. What you have written really is that pointless.

I'll take this lack of response as an admission of defeat. Moving on.

In six minutes, huh? LOL, you really do think you're all alone at the center of the universe, don't you?

Get out more, TP, and you'll notice the rest of the world talking to other people (besides you) too.

You have offered nothing to work with, TP. I won't debate your emotions or your bullshit lies. What you have written really is that pointless.

Oh, so throwing a childish tantrum will make you win? How mature. As you can see, I wasn't debating with emotion as you clearly are. You made a race argument that I shot down, then a class warfare argument that I once again shot down. This post of yours is nothing but a cop out. You didn't want to debate me because you have nothing to debate me with, except emotions and lies. You like the rest of the liberal propagandist crowd are intellectually lazy, you debate with talking points and use Alinskyist tactics to win arguments. Not tonight.

Last edited:
I'll take this lack of response as an admission of defeat. Moving on.

In six minutes, huh? LOL, you really do think you're all alone at the center of the universe, don't you?

Get out more, TP, and you'll notice the rest of the world talking to other people (besides you) too.

Actually, I'm not even in the center of my own room, much less any universe. You've got the wrong guy, Barb.

That second statement made no sense. If I want social advice from you, I'll ask for it.

Oh, so throwing a childish tantrum will make you win? How mature. As you can see, I wasn't debating with emotion as you clearly are. You make a race argument that I shot down, then a class warfare argument that I once again shot down. This post of yours is nothing but a cop out. You didn't want to debate me because you have nothing to debate me with, except emotions and lies.

more rubber and glue. That is not "debate," you asshole. I don't want to talk to you because I don't LIKE you. and btw, you started the bullshit...so neg away you fucking pussy.

Forum List

Back