Why Workers in Red States Vote Against Their Economic Self-Interest

If government policies help all poor people, including blacks, then red state poor whites will oppose it.

Who doe NOT know this?

For years, political scientists have wondered why so many poor and working-class citizens of so-called “red” states vote against their economic self-interest. ...

You meant to say 'for years presumptuous, partisan dopes with political science degrees have wondered...'

Be careful about misrepresenting what all that bullshit really is.

Dont those rednecks realize how much more theyll benefit from the wisdom of progressive, neo-communist , statist civil servants...

Dont those rednecks realize how much more theyll benefit from the wisdom of progressive, neo-communist , statist civil servants...

You'd think that since welfare buys votes (says the GOP) the red states would actually be blue states. They LOVE their welfare...I mean, they hate it and accept it under duress...

You'd think that since welfare buys votes (says the GOP) the red states would actually be blue states. They LOVE their welfare...I mean, they hate it and accept it under duress...

What you're pointing out here is interesting, isn't it? The people who end up using welfare the most, the people who face its reality every day, consistently vote against expanding it - even voting for leaders who say they'll cut it. Yet the states with more well-to-do voters seem to like the programs, voting for leaders who want to create even more. Hmmmm....

For years, political scientists have wondered why so many poor and working-class citizens of so-called “red” states vote against their economic self-interest.
The wages of production workers have been dropping for 30 years, adjusted for inflation, and their economic security has disappeared. A smaller share of working-age Americans hold jobs today than at any time in more than three decades.
For them, a job is precious — sometimes even more precious than a safe workplace or safe drinking water.
This is especially true in poorer regions of the country like West Virginia and through much of Southern and rural America, where the old working class has been voting Republican. Guns, abortion and race are part of the explanation. But don’t overlook economic anxieties that translate into a willingness to vote for whatever it is that industry wants.
This may explain why Republican officials who have been casting their votes against unions, against expanding Medicaid, against raising the minimum wage, against extended unemployment insurance, and against jobs bills that would put people to work, continue to be elected and re-elected.
They obviously have the support of corporate patrons who want to keep unemployment high and workers insecure because a pliant working class helps their bottom lines.

As someone who has lived in the south for the past half of my life it always puzzled me why people in this region always vote against their self interests and defend the same people who exploit them . I attribute it to a plantation mentality ...

folks down here prefer to make their own way the best they can...

'n would rather that busybody libs like you butt out 'n go take a flying fuck...

Last edited:
For years, political scientists have wondered why so many poor and working-class citizens of so-called “red” states vote against their economic self-interest.
The wages of production workers have been dropping for 30 years, adjusted for inflation, and their economic security has disappeared. A smaller share of working-age Americans hold jobs today than at any time in more than three decades.
For them, a job is precious — sometimes even more precious than a safe workplace or safe drinking water.
This is especially true in poorer regions of the country like West Virginia and through much of Southern and rural America, where the old working class has been voting Republican. Guns, abortion and race are part of the explanation. But don’t overlook economic anxieties that translate into a willingness to vote for whatever it is that industry wants.
This may explain why Republican officials who have been casting their votes against unions, against expanding Medicaid, against raising the minimum wage, against extended unemployment insurance, and against jobs bills that would put people to work, continue to be elected and re-elected.
They obviously have the support of corporate patrons who want to keep unemployment high and workers insecure because a pliant working class helps their bottom lines.

As someone who has lived in the south for the past half of my life it always puzzled me why people in this region always vote against their self interests and defend the same people who exploit them . I attribute it to a plantation mentality ...

Low taxes, smaller government, individual responsibility and strong National defense.

Explain how these are against poor and middle class citizens interest.

Low Taxes-For the rich
Smaller Government-Only when it suits their needs when it doesn't to hell with it.
Individual responsibility-aka to hell with the poor let the rich get richer off their backs
Strong National Defense-aka attack and invade ANY nation we want to!

you mispelled 'guano'

lol!!

:d

It's always entertaining when these newcomers pop in and post screeds assuming that unions, minimum wages, etc. are somehow "good for people's economic self-interest", when in fact those things reduce jobs and lengthen recessions.

YEAH! Minimum Wage is bullshit!

Which goes back to the OP's question...Why do republicans vote against their own economic interest? lol

They don't.

Obviously, all the rw's on this board are multimillionaires.

They don't need jobs, they don't have families, they don't have mothers, sisters, daughters they care about, they don't know any gays, they've never known anyone who was raped, they don't need to live on planet earth.

I just don't feel right about voting to take money out of somebody else's wallet and putting it into mine. Rich people are rich because they can save more than poor people. It's just a fact of life. Get over it!

Not voting for more government isn't voting outside your best interests. That's the difference between the left and right. The right recognizes government is more of an obstacle to their success than rich people. The left see the government as the solution to their perceived plight.

The right no matter what their income level will always look at government meddling to be a bad thing and it always turns out to be true. The left like to blame someone for their failures and look for the government to provide relief. Of course once they get their magical government interference it ends up helping nobody. Look no further than obiecare for a recent example.

Forum List

Back