Why would a state have a law

State's rights...much of why the Civil War took place
Ignorant nonsense.

The issue has nothing to do with 'states' rights,' no one is seeking through force of Federal law to compel a state to remove any flags.

And the role of states in the Federal system was decided and settled long before the Civil War; Article VI of the Constitution makes clear that the states are subject to Federal laws, the rulings of Federal courts, and the Constitution's case law, where Constitutional jurisprudence is the supreme law of the land, and the states have no 'right' to seek to 'ignore' or 'nullify' acts of Congress or rulings of the Supreme Court.

Of course it is state's right, you ignorant nincompoop

11403342_10153520746379835_148610158699624984_n.jpg

"fold it up and put it away" - Robert E. Lee
330px-Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg

• Fold it up and put it away.
  • Madam, don't bring up your sons to detest the United States government. Recollect that we form one country now. Abandon all these local animosities, and make your sons Americans.

"The march of Providence is so slow, and our desires so impatient; the work of progress is so immense and our means of aiding it so feeble; the life of humanity is so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often see only the ebb of the advancing wave and are thus discouraged. It is history that teaches us to hope."

Robert E. Lee - Wikiquote
Interesting. It just occurred to me that our many immigrants would make better citizens than the nutters.

• Madam, don't bring up your sons to detest the United States government. Recollect that we form one country now. Abandon all these local animosities, and make your sons Americans.

"The march of Providence is so slow, and our desires so impatient; the work of progress is so immense and our means of aiding it so feeble; the life of humanity is so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often see only the ebb of the advancing wave and are thus discouraged. It is history that teaches us to hope."

Interesting. It just occurred to me that our many immigrants would make better citizens than the nutters.

You have a point, ravi.

Many of those immigrants are more likely to follow the rule of law than you nutters, and wait til the legal procedures have been followed to take down that flag.

making it illegal to move a confederate flag without a super majority vote of the legislature?

Why has South Carolina give this symbol of treason and racism such power?

It's their state. If the people of that state want it changed, they have the right petition their government.

Bullshit. I have every right in the world to burn a confederate flag and states are not free to offer special protections to symbols of treachery.

State's have rights. the Constitution grants them
They do not have unlimited powers. Protecting a rag does not fall within the scope of their powers. Individual rights are more important than the con flag.

Really? Please point out in the Constitution where is says that a state can't fly a flag. I'll wait.

Bullshit. I have every right in the world to burn a confederate flag and states are not free to offer special protections to symbols of treachery.

They do not have unlimited powers. Protecting a rag does not fall within the scope of their powers. Individual rights are more important than the con flag.

Really? Please point out in the Constitution where is says that a state can't fly a flag. I'll wait.
Equal protection

Equal protection

I'm sorry. Is there some law which says these people can fly the flag but those people can't? If everyone can fly a flag, there is equal protection.

Let me counter. First Amendment.

Equal protection

I'm sorry. Is there some law which says these people can fly the flag but those people can't? If everyone can fly a flag, there is equal protection.

People can fly whatever they wish. A government favoring one group over another by flying their symbol isn't equal protection.

Funny ...a quote from someone libs want to erase

Equal protection

People can fly whatever they wish. A government favoring one group over another by flying their symbol isn't equal protection.

You mean if California wants to fly their state flag they have to fly the flags or every other state as well? Does that extend to statues? If they have a statue of one general they have to have a statue of every other general?

Equal protection

You mean if California wants to fly their state flag they have to fly the flags or every other state as well? Does that extend to statues? If they have a statue of one general they have to have a statue of every other general?
No, that isn't what I mean.

Equal protection

No, that isn't what I mean.

Then what do you mean?

Then do it in one of those states. Be sure to webcast it live. And don't be a pussy and burn it where nobody can see you, burn it in front of the state capitol.

The title of the OP is the same question I've been considering for that last week or two......
Why should states bother with passing any laws if SCOTUS is just gonna knock em down

Forum List

Back