Wild Boar Attacks Woman in California Suburb

It depends on the size. Too big and they are tough and gamey (the boars are a lot more so).

But pop one that runs under 200 lbs and you have some tasty eatin!!

You thought they only ran wild east of the Rockies? Well, apparently not. Where did it come from? Where are the others? A loner is pretty rare.

Read more @ Woman attacked by wild boar while walking dogs Las Vegas Review-Journal
We are encroaching on their land so we will see more and more of this type of thing.

Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota

By Michael Winter, USA TODAY
Updated 2011-07-26 6:47 PM

a news release:

The genetic tests reveal information about the mountain lion's origin and travels were conducted by the United States Department of Agriculture's Forest Service Wildlife Genetics Laboratory in Missoula, Montana. DNA tests show that tissue from the Milford mountain lion matches the genetic structure of the mountain lion population in the Black Hills region of South Dakota.

The Forest Service lab also compared the Milford mountain lion's DNA to DNA samples collected from individual animals occurring outside of the core South Dakota population. This led to a match with DNA collected from an animal whose movements were tracked in Minnesota and Wisconsin from late 2009 through early 2010. DNA from the Connecticut specimen exactly matched DNA collected from an individual mountain lion at one site in Minnesota and three sites in Wisconsin.

The Midwestern DNA samples were obtained by collecting scat (droppings), blood and hair found while snow tracking the mountain lion at locations where sightings of the animal were confirmed. In addition, at least a half dozen confirmed sightings of a mountain lion in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan are believed to be of the same animal. The distance between the first documentation in Minnesota and the spot where the animal was killed by a vehicle is nearly 1,000 miles and is nearly double the longest distance previously recorded for a dispersing mountain lion.

Male mountain lions normally "disperse" in search of females, but usually travel only about 100 miles.

The big cat, which was fully grown and younger than six, was hit by a car and killed June 11 on the Wilbur Cross Parkway in Milford, Conn. It had been seen earlier in June in Greenwich.

Read more from the Hartford Courant, which has a photo of the mountain lion in Wisconsin in January 2010, and the Associated Press.

Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota

We are encroaching on their land? WTH?

That may be accurate with the mountain lions, but not the wild hogs.

They are a non-native species. They are an environmental disastor. But they are not the victims.

They are a non-native species. They are an environmental disastor. But they are not the victims.
I've never been to CA so I wouldn't know if they are native to CA or not. We don't have them here in CT we have the usual stuff like bears,moose,coyotes. If they are a non native species then hunt them down and have a BBQ

I've never been to CA so I wouldn't know if they are native to CA or not. We don't have them here in CT we have the usual stuff like bears,moose,coyotes. If they are a non native species then hunt them down and have a BBQ

There are an estimated 5 million of them. Their population has been exploding in the last decade. I've seen pics of them wandering around suburbs outside Atlanta.

There are feral hogs in CT. Just wait, they will be a problem before you know it.

Feral Hogs Spotted in Connecticut HuntWildPig.com

The solution to the problem is sausage, bacon, smoked hocks, loin roasts, hams, shoulder roasts, pickled feet, head cheese & spam... :thup:

being it is California

and there are not very many of these critters

the state will certainly have them listed as endangered

--LOL

The solution to the problem is sausage, bacon, smoked hocks, loin roasts, hams, shoulder roasts, pickled feet, head cheese & spam... :thup:

Then get a weapon and go get some! There is plenty for everyone, no season, and you can shoot as many as you like.

These animals are causing problems in many, many places.

Then get a weapon and go get some! There is plenty for everyone, no season, and you can shoot as many as you like.

Yep they are. You get a few on your land and do not eliminate the problem and you will be over run in short order. They can attack but like a bobcat or coyote their first course of action is to run, if your foolish enough to get one cornered then all bets are off. Around here just like Coyotes they are shot on site. The young ones can be quite tasty, a large boar I am not going to even fool with skinning him out

They came with Desoto.

What has caused the explosion of them in the past 25 years is still a mystery.

A lot of the spread had to do with hog hunters introducing them into areas that had not had them.

We need more predators.

I'd love to know there were mountain lions in the woods with me.

We do get a stray on a game camera here and there, but, no viable population.

Yep they are. You get a few on your land and do not eliminate the problem and you will be over run in short order. They can attack but like a bobcat or coyote their first course of action is to run, if your foolish enough to get one cornered then all bets are off. Around here just like Coyotes they are shot on site. The young ones can be quite tasty, a large boar I am not going to even fool with skinning him out
Coyote gets a bad rap, mainly eat rats and mice, but will kill little pigs.

Part of the problem is the feds; millions of acres of land with lots of hunting restrictions.

Here they can be shot during any hunting season, with whatever weapon is legal.

So for most of the year, they are off limits.

In east central Alabama I didn't see a rabbit on the 25 acres of pasture I lived next to for years. We didn't see rabbits at all until I rescued a walker coonhound who loved to run coyote at night.

Yeah, part of it is bad rap. But they do trim the rabbit, ground birds, and whitetail fawns down.

They will also take down a young calf as well as a fawn, I have no love lost for a Coyotes

There are an estimated 5 million of them. Their population has been exploding in the last decade. I've seen pics of them wandering around suburbs outside Atlanta.

There are feral hogs in CT. Just wait, they will be a problem before you know it.

Feral Hogs Spotted in Connecticut HuntWildPig.com
MMMMMM I see pig roasts in my future.

They will also take down a young calf as well as a fawn, I have no love lost for a Coyotes

Coyotes eat our pets :(

Part of the problem is the feds; millions of acres of land with lots of hunting restrictions.

Here they can be shot during any hunting season, with whatever weapon is legal.

So for most of the year, they are off limits.
Well if one is charging you, you can shoot to defend yourself. Then you can make sausage, bacon, somked hocks, loin roasts, hams, shoulder roasts, pickled feet, head cheese & spam... :badgrin:

Coyotes eat our pets :(
Choot Em

You thought they only ran wild east of the Rockies? Well, apparently not. Where did it come from? Where are the others? A loner is pretty rare.

Read more @ Woman attacked by wild boar while walking dogs Las Vegas Review-Journal

Wild pigs are fairly common and are a real problem. Saw a 'pack'(?) of them last year in the hills- I presume that they are all over the west- wild pigs are all descended from domesticated pigs that are more technically 'feral'.

They are dangerous to people and local wildlife- and I am all in favor of hunting them.

being it is California

and there are not very many of these critters

the state will certainly have them listed as endangered

--LOL

Would it be rude for me to introduce facts into this thread?

Wild Pig Management Program - California Department of Fish and Wildlife

Wild Pig Management Program
Pigs (Sus scrofa) are native to Eurasia and northern Africa. In the early 1700's Spanish and Russian settlers introduced domestic pigs to California as livestock and many became feral. In the 1920's a Monterey county landowner introduced the European wild boar, a wild subspecies of Sus scrofa into California, which bred with the domestic pigs. The result of these introductions is a wild boar/feral domestic pig hybrid.

Until the mid 1950's, wild pigs were unclassified under state law and could be killed with no restrictions. In 1957, wild pigs were designated a game mammal by the State Legislature. The Fish and Game Commission soon established hunting seasons, bag and possession limits, method of take and the conditions for using dogs. In 1992 Fish and Wildlife Code Sections 4650 through 4657 were added that required hunters to possess wild pig license tags while hunting pigs.

Wild pigs currently exist in 56 of the state's 58 counties and can be found in a variety of habitats ranging from woodland, chaparral, meadow and grasslands. Wild pigs are omnivorous, consuming both plant and animal matter. In general, wild pigs feed on: grasses and forbs in the spring: mast and fruits in the summer and fall: and roots, tubers and invertebrates throughout the year.

As with all game species, wild pig behavior tends to change as hunting pressure increases. Where hunting is infrequent wild pigs may be active during the day. With moderate hunting, pigs tend to bed down around sunrise and become active again in late afternoon. In areas with heavy hunting pressure pigs are generally active only at night. Depending on pig density and abundance of cover, wild pigs tend to leave an area where hunting pressure becomes severe. Please see the state map of tag returns for pig take per county based on the wild pig tag returns for hunting season.

About half of the state is under private ownership and wild pigs occur mainly on private lands, but many public areas in the state have a fairly high rate of return on pig tags. In the northern part of the state the Tehama Wildlife Area has a modest return. In the central part of the state, Cow Mountain Management Area and Laguna Mountain also do well. The military bases (Fort Hunter Liggett and Camp Roberts) are responsible for 35% of the public land take. Please see the CDFW's Guide to Hunting Wild Pigs in California for more information on behavior, biology and how to hunt wild pigs plus maps and contact information for wild pig hunting on public lands, recipes and more.

Forum List

Back