Wild Side Ornithology Club

i have to admit, I love the ducks

DSC01040.jpg
Oh I love mallards! They're adorable, Spoonman! Thanks!

how about this guy? i thought it was dead and went to get a box to put it in. when i got back it had flown away. i think the wind must have just blown it out of the eves of the shed

DSC03161.jpg

Too cool! It's catching a breath, then. :)

:clap2:

I admit to thinking this was a thread of a different variety. :redface:
I've always loved the birds, UKRider. I wanted to start a thread here, but was overwhelmed by the <ahem> political banter. I decided to go with the flow of stuff as a ruse. I'm truly a rather tame person mostly, but I was a little !shocked! by the banter. :lmao:

I'm getting used to it a lot better now. I've lived a very sheltered life and didn't know it until a couple of years ago. :D

I don't know if a dragonfly qualifies as a 'wildside pecker' but this was just too pretty not to post:

541413_532298060143375_2022296966_n.jpg
Oh, Foxfyre, I'm so partial to blue. Thanks for sharing one of the most beautiful dragonfly shots I've ever seen. Seems I saw some of those somewhere when I was growing up. Not sure where, but they are astonishing when you see that metallic flash of blue darting around.

sometimes it is difficult to tell when they are sitting in a tree in the distance, is it a crow, or is it a raven. with a zoom lense the head and beak give it away. but once they take flight, you know it's a raven. they glide in the air like a hawk.

3-040313195533-14981412.jpeg

3-040313195533-14982468.jpeg

Yesterday, I went to the feed store to buy birdseed. We had a lot of cardinals here earlier, so I got some cardinal mix that attracts a few others as well. The other day, a jay was not happy because we ran out of seed too quickly, and he was hungry, so I got jaybird (and a few other species that like the same foods) mix. Another for woodpecker & their accompanying birds of another feather that like the same.

Today, I heard some new songs, and they were happy ones. Unfortunately, most of my day was taken up by the confusing task of shopping quilt fabrics, visiting with friends, and then hustling home only to be too tired to sew any for the rest of the day.

Time to get some eye droppers, hope for a good night's sleep, and put this day to rest. May God bless and keep us all in friendships and good spirits.

"Matthew 5:4
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. (NIV) "

[ame=http://youtu.be/3OJcUPWkNis]A Birdsong for your Tinnitus - YouTube[/ame]

At youtube, written below the video are these words:

This video is dedicated to all tinnitus sufferers. Having suffered for two years now from a non-relenting high pitch sound, I found some comfort in listening to birdsongs, from the digital radio station called 'Birdsong. You need to adjust the tone trebble and bass controls to suit your tinnitus. For high frequency/pitch tinnitus, the trebble should maximum and the bass adjusted to minimum, to cut the low frequency background noise and emphasiz the high frequency.

This is right outside my window. It took me a while to notice this guy, he blended in so well.

IMG_2408_zps5ffb9ab7.jpg

Snoozing on a Sunny Winter's Day

For the last couple of weeks, I have been seeing a bird I misidentified as an "Eastern Bluebird." There was something wrong, and I couldn't figure out why Eastern Blueirds show orange chests, when this particular bird had a definite bright red breast, a brighter red than I've seen on most Eastern Bluebirds, so I couldn't figure out if it were diet, a subspecie or what, but today, I found quite by accident the little guy who has been hopping on the fence around the pool and especially on the grass over the dead-grass grub areas in the back yard.

The bird is a WESTERN bluebird. I know not how I missed the specie, because I thought we had only Eastern bluebirds and Mountain bluebirds in the US. Wrong! Here's a picture of the Western bluebird, Sialia mexicana: Credits, Western Bluebird, Discover Life dot org

Larry Thompson has a lot of pictures he's loaned to Discover Life, just scroll down and see his many photos of this charming creature.

Brrr! It looks cold outside, Spoonman. Those pictures of birds at the feeders in deep snow are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them.

Brrr! It looks cold outside, Spoonman. Those pictures of birds at the feeders in deep snow are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them.

if you look at the red one you can see it is leaning forward a little. it eventually leaned all the way over to the glass. no big deal except most of the seed fell out when it did that. so it ended up feeding more squirrels then birds

For the last couple of weeks, I have been seeing a bird I misidentified as an "Eastern Bluebird." There was something wrong, and I couldn't figure out why Eastern Blueirds show orange chests, when this particular bird had a definite bright red breast, a brighter red than I've seen on most Eastern Bluebirds, so I couldn't figure out if it were diet, a subspecie or what, but today, I found quite by accident the little guy who has been hopping on the fence around the pool and especially on the grass over the dead-grass grub areas in the back yard.

The bird is a WESTERN bluebird. I know not how I missed the specie, because I thought we had only Eastern bluebirds and Mountain bluebirds in the US. Wrong! Here's a picture of the Western bluebird, Sialia mexicana: Credits, Western Bluebird, Discover Life dot org

Larry Thompson has a lot of pictures he's loaned to Discover Life, just scroll down and see his many photos of this charming creature.

Interesting. When we lived up on the mountains, there were colonies of blue birds, but I don't recall seeing one with a red breast. All of ours had whiteish or grey breasts:

sandia-cbc-mt-bluebird.jpg

Edit: Okay I did find some with some red markings, but still the blue isn't as blue as your photo Becki, and the red not nearly as pronounced:

WBlueBrdMale.jpg

Last edited:

Interesting. When we lived up on the mountains, there were colonies of blue birds, but I don't recall seeing one with a red breast. All of ours had whiteish or grey breasts:

sandia-cbc-mt-bluebird.jpg

Edit: Okay I did find some with some red markings, but still the blue isn't as blue as your photo Becki, and the red not nearly as pronounced:

WBlueBrdMale.jpg

wow, the top one looks more like an indigo bunting

Forum List

Back