Wild Side Ornithology Club

geese over the reservoir

3-160313234611-15087203.jpeg

a wide angle shot

3-160313234612-150882125.jpeg
I'm gonna faint, Spoonman!

I think your geese are a kind of auk called the Common Murre or Common Guillemot.

Last year, a tribe of Black Guillemots visited Freedom Lake (200yds NE of here) and fished a lot. They were wonderful! And they flew circles around the graceful egrets, so they went unchallenged in my observation.

Thank you so much for posting these amazing birds. I just wonder if in masse they are as frenetic looking as the Black Guillemots (which have white patches on their wings that make their quick wing flaps look like someone throwing confetti around when they're thick in any given area.)

They (Common guillemots) fly really far north in summer, and the North American tribes have thinner bills than their EU cousins, but seem to go by the same name.

Unless you're sure they're something else. I found pictures that looked like your birds at Wikipedia Common Murre page (Common Guillemot) or Uria aalge.

Last edited:
For the last couple of weeks, I have been seeing a bird I misidentified as an "Eastern Bluebird." There was something wrong, and I couldn't figure out why Eastern Blueirds show orange chests, when this particular bird had a definite bright red breast, a brighter red than I've seen on most Eastern Bluebirds, so I couldn't figure out if it were diet, a subspecie or what, but today, I found quite by accident the little guy who has been hopping on the fence around the pool and especially on the grass over the dead-grass grub areas in the back yard.

The bird is a WESTERN bluebird. I know not how I missed the specie, because I thought we had only Eastern bluebirds and Mountain bluebirds in the US. Wrong! Here's a picture of the Western bluebird, Sialia mexicana: Credits, Western Bluebird, Discover Life dot org

Larry Thompson has a lot of pictures he's loaned to Discover Life, just scroll down and see his many photos of this charming creature.

Interesting. When we lived up on the mountains, there were colonies of blue birds, but I don't recall seeing one with a red breast. All of ours had whiteish or grey breasts:

sandia-cbc-mt-bluebird.jpg

Edit: Okay I did find some with some red markings, but still the blue isn't as blue as your photo Becki, and the red not nearly as pronounced:

WBlueBrdMale.jpg
You were looking at a Mountain Bluebird (all blue) and a Western Bluebird in his offseason color schema OR an immature male. Female bluebirds may have a hint of blue, but they're basically little brownish birds. Wintertime bird identification in Wyoming was most difficult because almost all the species vacation far, far south and don't show up until the threat of heavy snows and sub zero temperatures are over.

This morning, I think all the grackles that are going to fly north were roosting in the little trees stationed around the WalMart parking lot, and many of them were hopping all over the empty areas of the parking lot. Thanks for sharing those pictures. I can't tell you what a soul-lifting experience it is to come here and see what other Americans are seeing in their areas.

:huddle:

Oh, and Foxfyre, one other thing--I found the darkest blue photo of a Western bluebird as I could find online that was okay to bring here, but nothing I saw could compare to the brilliant deep sapphire blue of the ones that have been hanging around our yard. I see a couple of dozen of both males and females, and they're pigging out on those darn grubs. Also, their underneath reddish parts are not a tad orange. They're an alive cherry red, like DMC embroidery floss #321 red. I think someone at the coffee shop mentioned that birds were a good way to rid the yard of grubs. Man, those tiny little Western Bluebirds are pigging out on 'em. And I'm as happy as a clam. The feeder with the fruit brought all kinds of new bird calls to the yard, and what I'm hearing are not just mockingbirds. When the mocking birds start the trilling, they go through a litany of calls. I'm hearing repeat calls of birds that don't remotely sound like mockingbirds. The mockingbirds are so cute. They flit and skit around like quick-witted wrens, but they're four times the size of a wren. They're comical some days, and preciously energetic others.

Last edited:
Brrr! It looks cold outside, Spoonman. Those pictures of birds at the feeders in deep snow are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them.

if you look at the red one you can see it is leaning forward a little. it eventually leaned all the way over to the glass. no big deal except most of the seed fell out when it did that. so it ended up feeding more squirrels then birds
Birds can be twits with all that free food. :lmao:

What fabulous use for snow--a backdrop for amazing bird pictures, Connery.

Thank you becki!!!! These guys come and provide such peace and tranquility, soothes the soul...:)
You have some great birds there. There's nothing as beautiful as a bright red cardinal against snow or other drab winter backdrop. Three or four times a day, I can look out from my bay window perch and see a dozen or more cardinals flying around, playing and bantering around. But once in a while, there's an alpha male who knows exactly how gorgeous he is showing off by romping and gliding all over the yard, now here, now there, now gone, and now back again. There's a holly tree that blocks my view of Lake Freedom, which I'd like to chop down, but it could be some of that fruit is responsible for the brilliant colors I get to see on Cards and Western bluebirds. I may trim it from beneath, though, to catch a glimpse of the mischievous egret who likes solitary confinement and makes a beeline for the tree's blocked view where he cannot by human be seen. Actually, it could be he just has a favorite fishing spot there. He's pretty okay with me walking around this year. Last year the Great egrets lit out any time we walked in the direction of the back yard. This year, it's "Oh, it's you. So what." :) That means they know full well they are safe at Freedom Lake, at least from the residents.

For the last couple of weeks, I have been seeing a bird I misidentified as an "Eastern Bluebird." There was something wrong, and I couldn't figure out why Eastern Blueirds show orange chests, when this particular bird had a definite bright red breast, a brighter red than I've seen on most Eastern Bluebirds, so I couldn't figure out if it were diet, a subspecie or what, but today, I found quite by accident the little guy who has been hopping on the fence around the pool and especially on the grass over the dead-grass grub areas in the back yard.

The bird is a WESTERN bluebird. I know not how I missed the specie, because I thought we had only Eastern bluebirds and Mountain bluebirds in the US. Wrong! Here's a picture of the Western bluebird, Sialia mexicana: Credits, Western Bluebird, Discover Life dot org

Larry Thompson has a lot of pictures he's loaned to Discover Life, just scroll down and see his many photos of this charming creature.

Interesting. When we lived up on the mountains, there were colonies of blue birds, but I don't recall seeing one with a red breast. All of ours had whiteish or grey breasts:

Edit: Okay I did find some with some red markings, but still the blue isn't as blue as your photo Becki, and the red not nearly as pronounced:

WBlueBrdMale.jpg

wow, the top one looks more like an indigo bunting

It would not be impossible I suppose, but I've never seen one at the altitude this photo was taken. Buntings don't generally visit conifer forests and that is definitely a pinon tree in the background. I'm pretty sure it is one of our mountain bluebirds. Many are quite pale though the lighting on that one leaves something to be desired.

how about this guy? i thought it was dead and went to get a box to put it in. when i got back it had flown away. i think the wind must have just blown it out of the eves of the shed

DSC03161.jpg

Or it was dying of rabies.

Word to the wise..don't pick up fallen/dead creatures. Particularly NOCTURNALS who are out/down during the day...they are either really sick, injured, or something, and they do carry a variety of diseases, including rabies.

Also a mistake to pick up fallen/downed birds of prey. They can and will latch on convulsively with their talons, and you will be a hurting unit. If you must pick them up, throw a jacket or something over them first, that will give them something to grab onto and cover their eyes, then pick them up only from behind, so you can hold their wings down and keep their feet away from you.

Oddly, they don't strike much with their mouths...at least not that I've noticed.

how about this guy? i thought it was dead and went to get a box to put it in. when i got back it had flown away. i think the wind must have just blown it out of the eves of the shed

DSC03161.jpg

Word to the wise..don't pick up fallen/dead creatures. Particularly NOCTURNALS who are out/down during the day...they are either really sick, injured, or something, and they do carry a variety of diseases, including rabies.

Also a mistake to pick up fallen/downed birds of prey. They can and will latch on convulsively with their talons, and you will be a hurting unit. If you must pick them up, throw a jacket or something over them first, that will give them something to grab onto and cover their eyes, then pick them up only from behind, so you can hold their wings down and keep their feet away from you.

Oddly, they don't strike much with their mouths...at least not that I've noticed.

we have a bunch of them living in the eves of the shed. i think it was sleeping and just blew out. it was super windy that day. it flew away with in a few minutes. i just went to get a box and it was gone

WBlueBrdMale.jpg

wow, the top one looks more like an indigo bunting

It would not be impossible I suppose, but I've never seen one at the altitude this photo was taken. Buntings don't generally visit conifer forests and that is definitely a pinon tree in the background. I'm pretty sure it is one of our mountain bluebirds. Many are quite pale though the lighting on that one leaves something to be desired.

yeah, but then birds live to make liars out of people.

I've seen great horneds nesting waaaaayyyyy out of their typical zones....and I've seen bluebirds where there aren't supposed to be any, either.

I saw a bald eagle hunting pigeons just a couple of blocks from my house, in a residential neighborhood....we don't live in alaska, but we aren't very far as the *crow* flies, from the river, lakes, and the ocean...you never know who might show up in your backyard.

My dogs currently all have a vendetta with the crows of our neighborhood. The crows (there's a group of probably 11 or so) flit from rooftop to rooftop, scoping out available goodies left out....I know crows as great theives of dog food...I had a half hound/half shepherd dog that used to hide around the corner of the house and wait for the crows to come down to eat out of her bowl, so she could run and bark at them.

Anyway, these crows come and land on the rooftops and fences around our back yard and tease my dogs, lolol....I'll have to take a picture for you guys.

DSC03161.jpg

we have a bunch of them living in the eves of the shed. i think it was sleeping and just blew out. it was super windy that day. it flew away with in a few minutes. i just went to get a box and it was gone

I like bats in theory. I don't want to see them except when they're flying overhead.

I do enjoy watching them hunt in the light from street lights, though. And I don't mind watching them hunt over water...they come in at dusk in a big group and whirl around, getting the bugs that come up off the water, it's wild. They stay until the bugs are picked off, then they move onto their next spot.

I like bats in theory. I don't want to see them except when they're flying overhead.

I do enjoy watching them hunt in the light from street lights, though. And I don't mind watching them hunt over water...they come in at dusk in a big group and whirl around, getting the bugs that come up off the water, it's wild. They stay until the bugs are picked off, then they move onto their next spot.

i enjoy them. they never bother you. yea, they swoop kind of close often, but they never hit you.

Some more of our mountain bluebirds at the top of Sandia Crest that forms the eastern boundary of Albuquerque. At 10,600+ feet:

sandia-crest-rf-on-trees.jpg

i enjoy them. they never bother you. yea, they swoop kind of close often, but they never hit you.

Well they'll hurt you if you happen to pick up rabies from them...

Well they'll hurt you if you happen to pick up rabies from them...

rabies from raccoons and skunks is a bigger issue in our area. i'm sure some bats carry the disease as well, but they tend not to go after humans. you have to be more careful of their droppings if they accumulate in an enclosed area

another geese shot

3-190313032025-15111727.jpeg
Wow Spoonman, That's a unique shot showing the pattern their tail feathers make. In some species that's called barring. Whatever it's called it's so distinctive and seldom seen in the way you snapped them, and the water pattern left by their departure is something to see. :)

another geese shot

3-190313032025-15111727.jpeg
Wow Spoonman, That's a unique shot showing the pattern their tail feathers make. In some species that's called barring. Whatever it's called it's so distinctive and seldom seen in the way you snapped them, and the water pattern left by their departure is something to see. :)

I got of some ducks taking off too. it was from a litle further away, but it still came put pretty cool

Forum List

Back