Will Obama make Mitch McConnell a "One term Senate Majority Leader"?

The medical device tax and the keystone project had and still have bipartisan support.

I can see both going through as long as they are not riddled with "kill Obamacare" or "repeal environmental protections" riders

If the Medical Device Tax is killed, a replacement for the revenue will have to be found. Could be a deal breaker

This is Senate map for the 2016 elections. The reds are the states where a Republican is up for re-election.

959px-2016_Senate_election_map.svg.png

Simple math and politics tell you that the GOP is far more vulnerable in 2016 than even the Democrats were this year.

And Obama has two more years to destroy the Dem's 2016 hopes. If you thought they tried to distance themselves from the Prez this campaign, wait 'til you see '16.

Except he has a really good record. Democrats will embrace Obama like they do Clinton at the next election.

Republicans wouldn't let Bush anywhere near their convention. And with good reason. The country is still suffering after what Republicans did to it.

I don't think the Democrats will ever win another election......

How do you guys like them apples.
I just figure I could return the favor since that's what came out the Libs mouths here
for a few years now regarding the Republicans.

McConnell saw no need to do anything that would encourage anyone to vote for an Obama second term. Now McConnell has finally gotten his wish to be Senate majority leader

Will Obama return the favor?
Why would you think the 1% care about which corporate whore serves them?
"WASHINGTON -- Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Wednesday that he and President Barack Obama are already discussing plans to cut corporate tax rates and pass free trade agreements, following the GOP's major gains in Tuesday's elections..."
TPP???
"'Trade pacts,' McConnell said at a press conference Wednesday. 'The president and I were just talking about that, right before I came over here. Most of his party is unenthusiastic about international trade. We think it's good for America, and so I've got a lot of members who believe that international trade agreements are a winner for America.'"
Big winners for 1% of America...
McConnell And Obama Are Already Planning To Undercut Liberal Democrats In Congress

Hang on to your hats, kids. If corporate tax rates are cut, be assured you will pay higher taxes somewhere to make up for it.
Tax rates are convoluted to such an extent the US effective corporate tax rate varies between ~13% - 27%, depending on your source:
"The most recent estimate comes from the World Bank and International Finance Commision, which put the United States’ effective rate for 2014 at 27.9 percent. That’s second-highest behind New Zealand among OECD countries and 15th-highest among the 189 countries measured.

"In 2011, the Tax Foundation published a survey of 13 prior estimates of the United States’ effective tax rate from 2005 to 2011.

"All 13 studies pegged the U.S.’s rate as above average, but none had the U.S. rate first overall.

Another 2011 study by the Congressional Research Service put the U.S. effective rate at 27.1 percent, slightly lower than the OECD average of 27.7 percent."

Mitch and Barry are probably looking for ways to sell a 0% corporate tax rate as a "job creator", and many cons and bots will goose-step accordingly.

Does the U.S. have the highest corporate tax rate in the free world PunditFact

If Obama wanted 0% corporate tax, he certainly had a willing partner in the Republicans. That is so obvious, I'm surprised you bothered telling such a ridiculous lie.

"WASHINGTON -- Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Wednesday that he and President Barack Obama are already discussing plans to cut corporate tax rates and pass free trade agreements, following the GOP's major gains in Tuesday's elections..."
TPP???
"'Trade pacts,' McConnell said at a press conference Wednesday. 'The president and I were just talking about that, right before I came over here. Most of his party is unenthusiastic about international trade. We think it's good for America, and so I've got a lot of members who believe that international trade agreements are a winner for America.'"
McConnell And Obama Are Already Planning To Undercut Liberal Democrats In Congress

Hang on to your hats, kids. If corporate tax rates are cut, be assured you will pay higher taxes somewhere to make up for it.
Tax rates are convoluted to such an extent the US effective corporate tax rate varies between ~13% - 27%, depending on your source:
"The most recent estimate comes from the World Bank and International Finance Commision, which put the United States’ effective rate for 2014 at 27.9 percent. That’s second-highest behind New Zealand among OECD countries and 15th-highest among the 189 countries measured.

"In 2011, the Tax Foundation published a survey of 13 prior estimates of the United States’ effective tax rate from 2005 to 2011.

"All 13 studies pegged the U.S.’s rate as above average, but none had the U.S. rate first overall.

Another 2011 study by the Congressional Research Service put the U.S. effective rate at 27.1 percent, slightly lower than the OECD average of 27.7 percent."

Mitch and Barry are probably looking for ways to sell a 0% corporate tax rate as a "job creator", and many cons and bots will goose-step accordingly.

The consumer pays all corporate taxes. That's not even controversial.
Really? "The consumer pays all corporate taxes."
Actually, the actual tax burden is unequally divided between corporate shareholders, the corporation itself, and employees of the corporation rather than consumers.

TPP???

The consumer pays all corporate taxes. That's not even controversial.
Really? "The consumer pays all corporate taxes."
Actually, the actual tax burden is unequally divided between corporate shareholders, the corporation itself, and employees of the corporation rather than consumers.

Silliness. Every company incorporates the C.O.G.S - including ALL taxes and salaries - into the price of goods or services sold and if what's left doesn't satisfy the stakeholders, they can neither attract investors nor creditors. Your "knowledge" of how American biz operates is terribly lame.
"ALL taxes and salaries - into the price of goods or services sold and if what's left doesn't satisfy the stakeholders, they can neither attract investors nor creditors. Your 'knowledge' of how American biz operates is terribly lame."[/QUOTE]
.[/QUOTE]
Tell us all you "know" about Arnold Harberger's 1962 study of the incidence of the corporate tax falling mainly on corporate shareholders in the form of lower dividends and stock values?
Arnold Harberger - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Obama has been de-clawed. He can no longer hide behind Harry Reid. He will be forced to defend his "veto" decisions, and the Democrats will be forced to vote.

Should be an interesting 26 months.....

And I hope they pass by quickly and Obama just goes away and
spends the rest of his life with his two loves....
Himself and Valerie
And a bunch of golf.

I just figure I could return the favor since that's what came out the Libs mouths here

Republicans won because Democrats didn't vote. What happens when they vote the next time?

The GOP will prevail in off year elections because of gerrymandering at least until the next Census. The Dems will prevail in presidential elections.

What is going to change that going forward will be the demographic shift in the population. This is most notable in the south western states and without those the GOP will have to modify it's political platform. Personally I have no doubt that modification will occur because we can see the first signs of it it happening already. The next generation of Republicans are not beholden to the failed dogma of God, gays and guns. They are the future and they will embrace Obamacare, gay marriage and realistic means to ensure that the mentally unstable don't have access to firearms.

So the GOP will evolve and become less rabid than it is today. That is inevitable because the AWG's are reaching their Sell By dates.

The medical device tax and the keystone project had and still have bipartisan support.
Medical Device Tax? Huh? Yea, something all Americans are thinking about.

Something millions who face surgery with knee and hip replacements are interested in.

You see there are other things going on with people.
There are other issues out there for Democats to have an interest in.
You know beyond the Gay and Lesbian stuff.

The same exit poll that showed fifty-nine per cent of respondents were dissatisfied or angry with the Obama Administration found that sixty-one per cent of respondents were angry or disappointed with Republican leaders in Congress. It found that fifty-three per cent of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of the Democratic Party and that fifty-six per cent have an unfavorable opinion of the Republican Party. Not exactly a “wave” election.

Something millions who face surgery with knee and hip replacements are interested in.

BZZZT Wrong!

Anyone with healthcare really doesn't care if the cost of the prosthesis is marginally less expensive. Only the manufacturers and HMO's stand to make any money by repealing that tax.

There is no gay and lesbian issue now.

That is coming quickly to an end, for the good.

He has only issued 2 in the last six years. He has a long way to go to get that title

Wishful thinking. The Repubs are guaranteed to flood his desk with bills, some intended to undo what he has done since 2008. They can (and will) force him to choose between signing those bills or destroying Dem's 2016 - including presidential - hopes. They have no incentive to make nice-nice. Hang onto your hat.

So what you are saying is that McConnell will nuke the filibuster (and destroy the GOP after 2016) in order to dump meaningless bills on Obama's desk?

That is a very short sighted approach and will end up doing the GOP more harm than good.

Doesn't mean that won't happen but of all the options out there it has to be one of the worst possible choices.

He doesn't have to do anything to the filibuster, just force the democrats to obstruct things if that's what they want to do and then make it publicly obvious who is the party of "no".

Filibuster is painless

It happens behind the scenes with no fanfare. Bills just disappear. There is no political repercussion.....ask the Republicans

Not if the party in power forces the minority to do an ACTUAL filibuster, which I think they should.

I would totally agree

The same exit poll that showed fifty-nine per cent of respondents were dissatisfied or angry with the Obama Administration found that sixty-one per cent of respondents were angry or disappointed with Republican leaders in Congress. It found that fifty-three per cent of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of the Democratic Party and that fifty-six per cent have an unfavorable opinion of the Republican Party. Not exactly a “wave” election.

Those exit polls only represent about 1/3rd of all voters given the low turnouts.

McConnell saw no need to do anything that would encourage anyone to vote for an Obama second term. Now McConnell has finally gotten his wish to be Senate majority leader

TPP???

If Obama wanted 0% corporate tax, he certainly had a willing partner in the Republicans. That is so obvious, I'm surprised you bothered telling such a ridiculous lie.

TPP???

If Obama wanted to privatize Social Security, Mitch would likely go along. Some of us have stopped drinking the kool-aid peddled by Republicans AND Democrats alike.

BZZZT Wrong!

Anyone with healthcare really doesn't care if the cost of the prosthesis is marginally less expensive. Only the manufacturers and HMO's stand to make any money by repealing that tax.

They probably do care who makes their prosthesis ... I prefer titanium over tinker toys any day.

TPP???

TPP???

If Obama wanted to privatize Social Security, Mitch would likely go along. Some of us have stopped drinking the kool-aid peddled by Republicans AND Democrats alike.

How far did Bush get with that one?

BZZZT Wrong!

They probably do care who makes their prosthesis ... I prefer titanium over tinker toys any day.

That isn't a choice amongst manufacturers. That is a choice amongst products that could all come from the same manufacturer.

Yes, I agree, I opted for titanium myself because I don't want to have to go through that surgery again for another 30 years if I can avoid it.

Forum List

Back