Will Republicans ever learn? Indiana governor to sign bill allowing business not to serve gays

Let's imagine that a married Lesbian couple walks into a car dealership. They tell the General Manager that they plan to adopt a baby and need to buy a mini van to accommodate their growing family.

Does the General Manager have a protected right to refuse to sell them a vehicle because he does not want to "participate" in their family plans?

If an African American couple comes to a dealership with the same circumstances, again, does the General Manager have a protected right to refuse them as well?

Suppose an elderly couple wanted to adopt a baby and needed a mini van. Could the dealer see this as 'deviant' and refuse the sale?

Where does an unusual misinterpretation of scripture begin to no longer be a factor in business?

A business has a right to refuse to do business with whomever it likes for whatever reason it likes. That's called "freedom of exchange."

You know that's not true, right?

The Right to Refuse Service
The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.

In addition to the protections against discrimination provided under federal law, many states have passed their own Civil Rights Acts that provide broader protections than the Federal Civil Rights Act. For example, California's Unruh Civil Rights Act makes it illegal to discriminate against individuals based on unconventional dress or sexual preference.

I know what the law says, moron. I'm talking about genuine rights, not the ones Congress invented.

Ah...I see..you're talking in theories and fantasies and everyone else is dealing in facts and life as it is, not where we want it to be.

These laws, passed by Congress, were found Constitutional by the Supreme Court.

I believe we have a right to unicorns that fart glitter! (I love this game)

You're another imbecile who thinks that rights are created by government. So why don't you answer the question. Why should anyone have cared about the treatment of black people before the 13th Amendment was passed if they were just property and had no rights?

Only in what I'll call 'the mind' of a Conservative does eroding right amount to protecting rights. Only in that Conservative 'mind' does crushing civil liberties amount to expanding them.

How does discrimination equal a civil liberty?

The racists in the Jim Crow south made the exact same arguments. You're in company with your Conservative predecessors.

You have no right to be served by any business. No one does. The business owner has the right to associate with whomever he wishes, or to not associate with whomever he wishes. That's called "freedom of association." Somehow you feel that compelling him to associate with people he has no desire to associate with increases rights. It takes a special kind of stupid to swallow that idea.
So...why be a coward about putting a "I don't serve.........." in a prominent place at your business entrance?

You know why, you stupid slut. That's like putting a target on your business so sleazy operators like you can attack it.

If they refuse to serve a gay person, you don't think the word will get out?

They don't want to lose business is why. They want to be cowardly about their discrimination because they know they can't survive on bigots business alone.

I doubt that will happen. The worst that will happen is that gay people will avoid the business. How many business owners give a damn about 2% of the population not patronizing their business?

Then what are they so afraid of that they would not advertise that they refuse to serve that 2%? Know what other group makes up 2% of the population?

3717755282_69fee1c9a4.jpg

So why would anyone be upset about slavery? Do you get upset if someone butchers a chicken or chops up a table and uses it for firewood?

They teach you that at your klan meetings?

Answer the question: Why should anyone of worried about the rights of black people if they didn't have any?

Why are you being so obtuse?

Just make your fucking point

Obviously, you're running away. Answer the question. Why should anyone be concerned about black people if they were just pieces of property with no rights?
It's odd that you refer to Black 'people'. You're using the word 'people'.

Shouldn't that illuminate an answer for you?

You have no right to be served by any business. No one does. The business owner has the right to associate with whomever he wishes, or to not associate with whomever he wishes. That's called "freedom of association." Somehow you feel that compelling him to associate with people he has no desire to associate with increases rights. It takes a special kind of stupid to swallow that idea.
So...why be a coward about putting a "I don't serve.........." in a prominent place at your business entrance?

You know why, you stupid slut. That's like putting a target on your business so sleazy operators like you can attack it.

They don't want to lose business is why. They want to be cowardly about their discrimination because they know they can't survive on bigots business alone.

I doubt that will happen. The worst that will happen is that gay people will avoid the business. How many business owners give a damn about 2% of the population not patronizing their business?

Then what are they so afraid of that they would not advertise that they refuse to serve that 2%? Know what other group makes up 2% of the population?

I've already explained that, but morons have to have everything explained to them at least a dozen times before they get it.

So why would anyone be upset about slavery? Do you get upset if someone butchers a chicken or chops up a table and uses it for firewood?

Answer the question: Why should anyone of worried about the rights of black people if they didn't have any?

Obviously, you're running away. Answer the question. Why should anyone be concerned about black people if they were just pieces of property with no rights?

Hmmm, no, I can't fathom what liberals believe. Why don't you explain it since you think it's so obvious.

To have you ask such a question shows a lot more about the missing pieces in your own soul.

Whast an idiot. I'm asking because liberals always say the most idiotic things about rights. I'm trying to clarify what their conception of rights is.

You and rightwinger don't want to answer the question because you are a couple of cowards who realize you will look like fools if you have to start explaining your ideas.
Sure you are...that's why you keep dodging rightwinger. But we know who the real coward is here....don't we?

You're the one who's dodging, dingbat. Yes, we know you're a coward who runs away from answering a simple question.
Says Mr. "I'm too much of a coward to put a sign up declaring my deeply held principles to not serve gay people". :lol:

Since you're so fearless, why don't you answer the question?
Ask your question.

Whast an idiot. I'm asking because liberals always say the most idiotic things about rights. I'm trying to clarify what their conception of rights is.

You and rightwinger don't want to answer the question because you are a couple of cowards who realize you will look like fools if you have to start explaining your ideas.
Sure you are...that's why you keep dodging rightwinger. But we know who the real coward is here....don't we?

You're the one who's dodging, dingbat. Yes, we know you're a coward who runs away from answering a simple question.
Says Mr. "I'm too much of a coward to put a sign up declaring my deeply held principles to not serve gay people". :lol:

Ask your question.

I've already asked it a dozen times. How stupid are you?

Hmmm, no, I can't fathom what liberals believe. Why don't you explain it since you think it's so obvious.
Perhaps you can fathom the phrase 'all men are created equal' while you continue to ponder the obvious.

Perhaps you can fathom the phrase 'all men are created equal' while you continue to ponder the obvious.

Not according to you theory of rights. If the laws says blacks are property, then they are property. Isn't that what you believe?

Ask your question.

Ask your question.

Let's imagine that a married Lesbian couple walks into a car dealership. They tell the General Manager that they plan to adopt a baby and need to buy a mini van to accommodate their growing family.

Does the General Manager have a protected right to refuse to sell them a vehicle because he does not want to "participate" in their family plans?

If an African American couple comes to a dealership with the same circumstances, again, does the General Manager have a protected right to refuse them as well?

Suppose an elderly couple wanted to adopt a baby and needed a mini van. Could the dealer see this as 'deviant' and refuse the sale?

Where does an unusual misinterpretation of scripture begin to no longer be a factor in business?

A business has a right to refuse to do business with whomever it likes for whatever reason it likes. That's called "freedom of exchange."

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.

In addition to the protections against discrimination provided under federal law, many states have passed their own Civil Rights Acts that provide broader protections than the Federal Civil Rights Act. For example, California's Unruh Civil Rights Act makes it illegal to discriminate against individuals based on unconventional dress or sexual preference.

I know what the law says, moron. I'm talking about genuine rights, not the ones Congress invented.

Ah...I see..you're talking in theories and fantasies and everyone else is dealing in facts and life as it is, not where we want it to be.

You're another imbecile who thinks that rights are created by government. So why don't you answer the question. Why should anyone have cared about the treatment of black people before the 13th Amendment was passed if they were just property and had no rights?

LOL

He keeps fishing and nobody is biting

Fingerboy....if you want to make another of your bizarre racist statements, why don't you just do it?

Ask your question.

Ask your question.

I've already asked it. Just read back two or three posts. Are you so damn lazy that you can't do that?

LOL

He keeps fishing and nobody is biting

Fingerboy....if you want to make another of your bizarre racist statements, why don't you just do it?

You mean you're all running away like scared little puppy dogs.

What "bizarre racist statements?"

If I was a Baker, I would make a killing off these homos, I would advertise as a gay friendly business and take all thier money. You dont have to eat meat to be a butcher.

Ask your question.

Ask your question.

I've already asked it. Just read back two or three posts. Are you so damn lazy that you can't do that?
Ask your question, lazy coward.

I've already explained that, but morons have to have everything explained to them at least a dozen times before they get it.

You're just a mass of contradictions. You say that businesses should not have to say up front that they won't serve gays because they will be "targeted", but that if they don't serve gays and word gets out its no big deal because gays are only 2%. Which is it? Are you afraid of the gays or aren't you?

You're just a mass of contradictions. You say that businesses should not have to say up front that they won't serve gays because they will be "targeted", but that if they don't serve gays and word gets out its no big deal because gays are only 2%. Which is it? Are you afraid of the gays or aren't you?
He's terrified.

Come on Republicans

I know you love to pander to your gay hating base. But are you ever going to learn?

Indiana Governor Mike Pence is ready to sign into law a bill allowing businesses to refuse service to gays for "religious reasons" . All this ten days before the NCAA Final Four comes to Indianapolis. So what was once an opportunity to show the country what a great location his state is for major events, now becomes a poster child for "We hate gays".
See how many Final Fours come back to Indianapolis. Superbowl? Forget it Mike

But at least you got to score points with your gay hating base

Republicans just can't help themselves.

Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers - CNN.com
The white christian party cries that they are being persecuted for their religion, and yet pass laws to making it OK discriminate against another group :cuckoo:

They are screaming for the right of their religion to persecute others

No, actually, they want the right to practice their religion....and that right is in the Bill of Rights, and if they don't want to make cakes for weddings that violate their religious beliefs then the founding document of this country codifies that that don't have to.....

I find the irony delicious that Republicans hate gays so much that they'd prefer to see business investments from out of state dry up.

Way to go, so-called "free market" party!

Liberty is my right to access the public market place. You want to refuse me business? Fine GTF out of my public market.

Public market place, another invention of the left. Your public market place consist of PRIVATE businesses.
ROFL the left did not exist when the commerce clause was drafted. Thx for playing.

Have you actually read the commerce clause lately, the feds were never intended to interfere with individual businesses unless they were dealing across state lines, with foreign countries or indian tribes. The left is the cause of it being expanded beyond all reason.
That was before the civil war. After the war the fed had the leverage to force the states to do their bidding wrt. taking away our life, liberty, and property.

That said, I'm a fan of civil rights. And I'm a fan of the idea that we should all have the liberty to partake in the public market. I'm also a fan of private businesses having the right to buy and sell privately, such as through barter, trade, and even monetary exchanges for access to private benefits. Just don't advertise for public sale. For example, if you are a church it's ok to charge for weddings to members of the church, but it's not ok to advertise to the public the sale of wedding services then deny because the couple is black or gay etc.

Nothing in the commerce clause has been changed, that would require an Amendment. The courts have bastardized it beyond all recognition. What you should have said is you're a fan of civil rights as long as they conform to your ideas. A business owner doesn't surrender his/her rights just by virtue of opening a business.
Apparently you are confused by interstate highways, state to state travel, online sales, and most of all you are confused by the difference between private company with products for private sale, and opening a business that wants to sell to the public at large, only not to just anyone in the public but rather only to the portion of the public that you like. If you want to pick and choose your customers, do it through private selection, just don't put up a sign that says open to the public come on in and buy my goods, then turn around the blacks and gays as they come through your door.

Forum List

Back