Wisconsin Giving Tax Surplus to the People!

Just so everyone with a brain here is aware of how much this Wisconsin story is not a story:

"The National Association of State Budget Officers projects that almost all states will see "fairly decent surpluses" in their 2014 budgets."

State surpluses spark debate on tax cuts, spending

Another non-event the right is pissing itself over.

I'm bumping this because I'm really enjoying seeing the 'nuts have to ignore it.

you do understand they are parrots for faux news.

This thread starts out as some cockeyed rightwing fantasy that Scott Walker did something miraculous in Wisconsin,

then once that idiocy gets comprehensively demolished,

the thread ends up with all the usual rightwing inmates running around like chickens squawking Obama is a Marxist! Obama is a Marxist!

You people are way too easy.

It's less complicated than that. These are stupid people. Standard issue, garden variety stupid people.

You've seen them your whole life. You know them when you see them.

One cannot believe the things they believe unless one is stupid.

Just so everyone with a brain here is aware of how much this Wisconsin story is not a story:

"The National Association of State Budget Officers projects that almost all states will see "fairly decent surpluses" in their 2014 budgets."

I'm bumping this because I'm really enjoying seeing the 'nuts have to ignore it.

so because other states will have surpluses, it is not news wisconsin, which had a major deficit, has a surplus? that is pretty dumb logic, especially since libs claimed walker would ruin wisconsin.

so because other states will have surpluses, it is not news wisconsin, which had a major deficit, has a surplus? that is pretty dumb logic, especially since libs claimed walker would ruin wisconsin.

Jerry Brown has a surplus in California.

A lot of states had deficits and now have a surplus.

Trying to act like Wisconsin is some sort of special snowflake due to Walker is just political spin the relies on the reader being ignorant.

People that understand state finances know that state revenue and state expenses have a lot more to do with national trends in income and Medicaid. There are other factors of course but this thread is a fine example of the ignorant masses being fooled once again.

If a state DOESN"T have a surplus today, there's something wrong. Miss chose not to expand Medicaid because it'd cost the state 500 billion a year, and we have a 400 billion surplus. LOL

Walker certainly cut the pay of the public sector, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I read the Univ of Wisc hid money in it's budget, so there's no public support to increase higher ed funding. Still, one cannot argue that educ funding is the most important thing a state govt can do to attract more jobs, and the biggest welfare to work boost is "giving" working poor single moms support for child care. I dunno about Wisconsin, but bushii't tax cut was debt debacle.

As for BushII and the credit meltdown and resulting recession, "The econ got drunk and now it's got a hangover" - W.

Trying to act like Wisconsin is some sort of special snowflake due to Walker is just political spin the relies on the reader being ignorant.

People that understand state finances know that state revenue and state expenses have a lot more to do with national trends in income and Medicaid. There are other factors of course but this thread is a fine example of the ignorant masses being fooled once again.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Walker took over a budget boondoggle, made some structural changes and now the state is running a surplus and it is all a fluke.

Got it.

:lol:

Here is the article describing the Ca budget surplus:

LOS ANGELES — Ever since he came into office, Gov. Jerry Brown has promised to address what he has long called the state’s “wall of debt” built up over years. And now that the nation’s most populous state is looking at a multibillion-dollar surplus, Mr. Brown, in a $155 billion state budget proposal submitted on Thursday, is pledging to make good on that promise.

While Mr. Brown called for an 8.5 percent spending increase, he also proposed spending $11 billion on debts and liabilities, including a $6 billion deferred payment to schools and roughly $4 billion to pay down economic recovery bonds issued by his predecessor, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Mr. Brown’s budget was missing some of the proposals for new spending on social programs, like universal prekindergarten, that many Democrats have called for.
Some Republicans quickly praised Mr. Brown’s approach, but it could set off a fight among fellow Democrats, who control the legislature and hope to use some of the projected $4.2 billion surplus to restore program cuts.

Armed with charts to illustrate the volatile boom-and-bust cycles in the state’s revenues, which rely heavily on capital gains taxes, Mr. Brown emphasized efforts to address a “mountain of long-term liabilities,” including unfunded retirement benefits, that amount to $354.5 billion.

More here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/us/with-surplus-in-hand-california-eyes-debt.html?_r=0

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Walker took over a budget boondoggle, made some structural changes and now the state is running a surplus and it is all a fluke.

Got it.

No it is not just a fluke (chance occurrence or luck). It is a national trend with little to no correlation to anything Walker has done let alone causation.

LOS ANGELES — Ever since he came into office, Gov. Jerry Brown has promised to address what he has long called the state’s “wall of debt” built up over years. And now that the nation’s most populous state is looking at a multibillion-dollar surplus, Mr. Brown, in a $155 billion state budget proposal submitted on Thursday, is pledging to make good on that promise.

While Mr. Brown called for an 8.5 percent spending increase, he also proposed spending $11 billion on debts and liabilities, including a $6 billion deferred payment to schools and roughly $4 billion to pay down economic recovery bonds issued by his predecessor, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Mr. Brown’s budget was missing some of the proposals for new spending on social programs, like universal prekindergarten, that many Democrats have called for.
Some Republicans quickly praised Mr. Brown’s approach, but it could set off a fight among fellow Democrats, who control the legislature and hope to use some of the projected $4.2 billion surplus to restore program cuts.

Armed with charts to illustrate the volatile boom-and-bust cycles in the state’s revenues, which rely heavily on capital gains taxes, Mr. Brown emphasized efforts to address a “mountain of long-term liabilities,” including unfunded retirement benefits, that amount to $354.5 billion.

More here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/us/with-surplus-in-hand-california-eyes-debt.html?_r=0

A lot of states will be facing similar decisions between restoring cuts, cutting taxes, paying down debt, putting money into a rainy day fund, or paying down unfunded liabilities. Many are facing re-election campaigns so I expect a lot will use the surplus to play politics.

Got it.

No it is not just a fluke (chance occurrence or luck). It is a national trend with little to no correlation to anything Walker has done let alone causation.

Oh, I see..... So, I guess the previous admin's massive deficits were just part of a larger, national trend as well?

More here:

A lot of states will be facing similar decisions between restoring cuts, cutting taxes, paying down debt, putting money into a rainy day fund, or paying down unfunded liabilities. Many are facing re-election campaigns so I expect a lot will use the surplus to play politics.

yep. My state's aggregate amount of bond money decreased last year for the first time in several years, but I doubt the legislature addressed unfunded liabilities, ie state worker retriement.

Got it.

Oh, I see..... So, I guess the previous admin's massive deficits were just part of a larger, national trend as well?

the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.

no one is claiming it is a special snow flake except butt hurt dems like you who thought walker would fail.

i mean seriously, you can be proud of other states, but you must knock down wisconsin because of the political party he belongs. that is being ignorant.

thanks for sharing. now stop being butt hurt and whining over wisconsin.

no one is claiming it is a special snow flake except butt hurt dems like you who thought walker would fail.

i mean seriously, you can be proud of other states, but you must knock down wisconsin because of the political party he belongs. that is being ignorant.

Imo, it's more of a suspicion that Walker is simply using the surplus, which appears to be larger this year than it will be next, to play politics with the money and set the state up for another round of cuts with "starve the beast."

Personally, I don't know, as I really could not care less about Wisconsin and am merley glad their football team is not in the superbowl.

Forum List

Back