Woman asks for help, gets shot in the head

For some reason I picture the person knocking on the door at 2:30 am looking something like this

Your respect for women comes through loud and clear.

are you high?

what does respect has to do with a stranger knocking on your door at 3 am?

I won't be jumping to open the door immediately as well.

It has to do with him calling a dead girl a ****. You wingnuts are so knee jerk. You don't know a thing about what happened so why not just stop talking. You're not following the discussions.

Precisely.

What of a racist bastard answers the door with a gun in his hand? If he thought she looked suspicious why didn't he just stay inside and call the police?

This case makes no sense to me. When she was first in the accident 911 was called, and after that person called 911 she went looking for her in her own vehicle.

"She kept telling them, 'I want to go home, I want to go home,'" he said.

Thurswell said that the neighbor went into her home to call 911, and when she came back outside and saw McBride was gone, got in her car to look for her - but couldn't track her down.Thurswell said McBride, whose cell phone was apparently dead, likely wandered the neighborhood for about an hour.

Renisha McBride Shooting: Homeowner who killed teen "could have called 911" if he was afraid, says atty. for victim's family - Crimesider - CBS News

Why weren't the first responders looking for the victim of the accident? Why did she leave the scene? Was she hurt so badly she did not know what was going on or was she perhaps evading the police due to perhaps drinking and or using drugs while driving? Either way I don't get why police were not looking for a victim of an accident and why it took her hours to knock on this guys door. I would like to know why the police were not looking for the victim of the accident or the firemen or EMTS.

CaféAuLait;8121986 said:
This case makes no sense to me. When she was first in the accident 911 was called, and after that person called 911 she went looking for her in her own vehicle.

Thurswell said that the neighbor went into her home to call 911, and when she came back outside and saw McBride was gone, got in her car to look for her - but couldn't track her down.Thurswell said McBride, whose cell phone was apparently dead, likely wandered the neighborhood for about an hour.

Renisha McBride Shooting: Homeowner who killed teen "could have called 911" if he was afraid, says atty. for victim's family - Crimesider - CBS News

Why weren't the first responders looking for the victim of the accident? Why did she leave the scene? Was she hurt so badly she did not know what was going on or was she perhaps evading the police due to perhaps drinking and or using drugs while driving? Either way I don't get why police were not looking for a victim of an accident and why it took her hours to knock on this guys door. I would like to know why the police were not looking for the victim of the accident or the firemen or EMTS.

CBS) -The attorney representing the family of a Detroit teenager who was shot and killed while apparently seeking help after a car accident says the girl was injured and may have wandered a Dearborn Heights neighborhood for as long as an hour before arriving on the porch of the man who shot her.

According to attorney Gerald Thurswell, McBride hit a parked car and "sustained bruises and lacerations" late Nov. 1 or early Nov. 2. Thurswell said that he spoke with people at a home near the scene of the accident who told him they came outside to help McBride and found her bleeding from the head.

Thurswell said that the neighbor went into her home to call 911, and when she came back outside and saw McBride was gone, got in her car to look for her - but couldn't track her down. Thurswell said McBride, whose cell phone was apparently dead, likely wandered the neighborhood for about an hour.

"She knocked on several doors and no one answered," said Thurswell.

The one man who did come to the door, apparently came armed with a shotgun. McBride was shot in the face and died on the man's front porch.

Police have said the man, who has not been identified but is reportedly 54-years-old, told them he thought McBride was trying to break into his home and that the shotgun fired accidentally. Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy reportedly asked the Dearborn Heights police to continue investigating the case before deciding whether to press charges against the man.

Cheryl Carpenter, the attorney representing the homeowner, told The Detroit News that the shooting was "justified."

"I'm confident when the evidence comes it will show that my client was justified and acted as a reasonable person would who was in fear for his life," Carpenter said.

Thurswell said that explanation sounds implausible.

"If he was in fear for his safety he could have called 911," he said. "He decided to open the door, go out on the porch and put a shotgun in her face...It's pretty hard for it to be an accident: your finger is on the trigger and the shotgun is in her face."

Thurswell said that he has confidence that police and prosecutors will thoroughly investigate the case and file "appropriate charges."

"We don't want a rush to judgment," he told Crimesider.

Thurswell said that McBride graduated from Southfield High School in 2012 and was working full-time at an auto plant and living at home with her mother at the time of her death.
I don't see anything questionable about her side of the story. She must have gotten a bump on the head and gotten disoriented. I do wonder why the police didn't come when they were first called by the woman at the scene of the accident.

The man with the gun: he should be charged with murder. As it says in the article, a shotgun doesn't just go off, and he went out on the porch to shoot her. Why didn't he stay inside his home and just call the police. She was not armed. As long as he didn't open the door to her, there was no danger to him. He did not act like a reasonable person and had no reason to fear for his life as long as he didn't open his door.

There is more to this story we hardly know any facts. Why was she wandering? Was she injured or was she high or drunk? Why did she leave the scene of the accident, head injury or other reasons? That is why I asked above. As I said before there is more to this story.

"He was woken up between 3:30 a.m. and 4:30 a.m., and McBride never once said anything or cried for help," said Carpenter. "She just attempted to get into his house using the front door and also the side door and so that just scared the hell out of him."...The wreck happened about 1:30 a.m. and the shooting at 3:40 a.m., the Free Press reported.

Woman shot after apparently approaching a home for help - CNN.com

CaféAuLait;8122015 said:
There is more to this story we hardly know any facts. Why was she wandering? Was she injured or was she high or drunk? Why did she leave the scene of the accident, head injury or other reasons? That is why I asked above. As I said before there is more to this story.

"He was woken up between 3:30 a.m. and 4:30 a.m., and McBride never once said anything or cried for help," said Carpenter. "She just attempted to get into his house using the front door and also the side door and so that just scared the hell out of him."...The wreck happened about 1:30 a.m. and the shooting at 3:40 a.m., the Free Press reported.

She may have been high. That doesn't mean she was a threat to his life. He should not have opened the door. I wouldn't have. Or at least use a very strong chain to open it. I would have asked through the door who it was and what then wanted. If no answer, and they didn't go away, I'd call the police, maybe call even if they did go away. To open the door, you are being very stupid. To go to the door with a loaded gun, ready to go off, you are a potential murderer.

CaféAuLait;8122015 said:

She may have been high. That doesn't mean she was a threat to his life. He should not have opened the door. I wouldn't have. Or at least use a very strong chain to open it. I would have asked through the door who it was and what then wanted. If no answer, and they didn't go away, I'd call the police, maybe call even if they did go away. To open the door, you are being very stupid. To go to the door with a loaded gun, ready to go off, you are a potential murderer.

I don't know if she was high, hurt or otherwise. I do know I have heard noises at night, I have been known to grab a baseball bat and look through the house and I have even opened the door to look outside. (like an idiot) Maybe she scared him coming from around the side of the house? You are assuming he opened the door to a girl standing there quietly knocking on his door.

We don't know all the facts and if she was trying to gain entry and the first responders from the initial 911 call had not even bothered to look for her or even perhaps arrive yet to the scene of the accident, ( hours later) perhaps they would have taken even longer to respond to some guy saying he heard bumps in the night.

And the reason I wonder if first responders had even arrived on the scene of the accident is because Detroit is known for their long police response times.

How bad is it? For the highest-priority crimes, Detroit police take about 58 minutes, on average, to answer 911 calls.

A 911 response in Detroit takes how long?- MSN Money

58 minutes on average to arrive for highest priority crimes. A man hearing someone trying to break into his home probably is not considered high priority, the article points out people have started to take matters into their own hands as a result not to mention many say the odds of police or an ambulance showing bad and they don't even expect a response anymore.

DETROIT — A question unimaginable in most major American cities is utterly commonplace in this one: If you suddenly found yourself gravely ill, injured or even shot, would you call 911?

Many people here say the answer is no. Some laugh at the odds of an ambulance appearing promptly, if ever
. In Detroit, people map out alternative plans instead, enlisting a relative or a friend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/us/financial-crisis-just-a-symptom-of-detroits-woes.html?_r=1&

I'm not saying this man was justified, but perhaps we should know all the facts before passing judgment first.

Renisha McBride Rally Calls For Justice After Homeowner Claims Shooting Was Accidental

More than 100 people in Dearborn Heights, Mich., demonstrated outside the police station Thursday night, saying they hoped to pressure authorities to arrest a homeowner who shot 19-year-old Renisha McBride to death on his front porch after she'd been in a car crash.

"We need transparency in this case," Dream Hampton, an organizer of the demonstration who is a writer and filmmaker in neighboring Detroit, told The Huffington Post before the gathering. "I was just outraged by this story, I really was. I asked some friends to meet me at the police department to demand some justice."

The Detroit branch of the NAACP joined the call for justice. "This shooting must be investigated at every level," the group said in a statement.

McBride's family members have said they believe the young woman's cell phone battery died after the car crash early Saturday and she was seeking help from the homeowner, who police have not identified.

More at link above.
This will bring the racists out from under their rocks.

She was shot 2 hours after the accident. Was she knocking on doors all that time? If not, what was she doing?

It is a shame that our culture has become so violent and so suspicious that we assume someone is a criminal rather than someone who needs help. Unfortunately the "damsel in distress" ploy has been used to get homeowners to open the door, whereupon the woman's cohorts force their way inside.

I would have done the same thing. The discharge was probably a accident.

If we want to change this, we have to change the entire culture of violence and that's not going to happen.

If you heard someone fumbling at your door at that time of night would you assume they needed help?

CaféAuLait;8122015 said:

Another victory for Gun Culture.

166890_5_.jpg

Last edited:
yeah but to answer the door with a shot gun? I'm sure the man could've held his own against a young girl.

At 2:30 am in the metropolitan Detroit area.

I am not defending the guy, merely pointing out some circumstances which may pertain to his state of mind. The police wanted to arrest the guy and requested a warrant from the DA's office. The DA's office wanted further information before preparing a charging instrument. For all we know they may be investigating whether it is 2nd degree murder or some level of manslaughter. Further we do not know if the shooter is white, black or perhaps a "white Hispanic".

I can not understand how the victims relatives can assert that her cell phone died and that she knocked on the guys door to ask for help? That seems odd that they would be privvy to such info.

Lets give it a few days to let the legal process wind its course before we lynch the homeowner.
When he figured out she was not a threat to his life, why did he still shoot her in the head?

I get being afraid at 3 am or whenever, but SHE WAS NOT A THREAT TO HIS LIFE. That is the only way to justify him shooting her in the head and from I am hearing, he shot her in the back of the head? How the fuck do you justify that shooting.

I hope this fucker goes away forever. Fuck him.
You are ready to condemn this guy before you know all the facts? Glad you aren't a judge, or on the jury. Thankfully we have a legal system that will iron these things out and this isn't left to an angry mob.

Your anger seems pretty rash given you don't know any of these people or the circumstances of the incident.

Your respect for women comes through loud and clear.

are you high?

what does respect has to do with a stranger knocking on your door at 3 am?

I won't be jumping to open the door immediately as well.

It has to do with him calling a dead girl a ****. You wingnuts are so knee jerk. You don't know a thing about what happened so why not just stop talking. You're not following the discussions.

calling her a **** is unnecessary and uncalled for - I agree. Until we know what happened blaming the dead girl is also not needed.
and show me, where I "kept talking", you wingnut on steroids.

I am not defending the guy, merely pointing out some circumstances which may pertain to his state of mind. The police wanted to arrest the guy and requested a warrant from the DA's office. The DA's office wanted further information before preparing a charging instrument. For all we know they may be investigating whether it is 2nd degree murder or some level of manslaughter. Further we do not know if the shooter is white, black or perhaps a "white Hispanic".

I can not understand how the victims relatives can assert that her cell phone died and that she knocked on the guys door to ask for help? That seems odd that they would be privvy to such info.

Lets give it a few days to let the legal process wind its course before we lynch the homeowner.
When he figured out she was not a threat to his life, why did he still shoot her in the head?

I get being afraid at 3 am or whenever, but SHE WAS NOT A THREAT TO HIS LIFE. That is the only way to justify him shooting her in the head and from I am hearing, he shot her in the back of the head? How the fuck do you justify that shooting.

You are ready to condemn this guy before you know all the facts? Glad you aren't a judge, or on the jury. Thankfully we have a legal system that will iron these things out and this isn't left to an angry mob.

Your anger seems pretty rash given you don't know any of these people or the circumstances of the incident.

well, we have a dead girl. This girl is somebody's daughter - and the parents would react the same way as well.
The story is murky, and until anything is clear one should not name either side.

You are ready to condemn a woman who was shot in the head for no damn reason? You seem to be on the side of the shooter for "some" damn reason. I wonder why.

You racists make me sick.

Zona, u mad?

You believe this fucker "accidently" shot her? It takes a lot to open a door, aim and shoot someone in the head but somehow this is an accident?

I know it would be pretty hard to shoot someone by accident with my shotgun. So yeah, I fucking hate racists. In the real world and in here.

Forum List

Back