Woman dies in jail while serving sentence for her kids’ unpaid school fines

I wonder if she had a medical condition she either didn't KNOW about or didn't tell the police about...bad heart, aneurysm, something like poorly-controlled diabetes...hell, even a food allergy.

Exactly. Here you have a somewhat young women dropping dead. Who the hell can predict that?

People who can't deal with their problems do drugs. They can't accept reality so they live in unreality.

At college, they gave us a list of 25-50 reasons why people might be at risk for drugs or alcohol and I thought it was stupid because they were self explanatory. A co-worker said that it was a great list because when you are on drugs, you don't know any better.

That is why the judge is inexperienced. The minute the judge put her in jail, he was responsible for her welfare and he failed.

We dont know if she was on drugs or just had a simple heart attack. And they ALWAYS ask if you have any medical needs. If she answered no she has no one to blame but herself.

Absolutely different.

You some kind of racist?

What, because I know that if this women were black, the comments would be different? Just like the crazy guy who hit a women in the head with a baseball bat...if he weren't black, the thread would have been absolutely different (it wouldn't have been a thread because we ignore white violence).

You're a dumbass. I dont care what color she was. White trash is just another color of ******.

Woman dies in jail while serving sentence for her kids’ unpaid school fines

Being poor is a crime.

Woman dies in jail while serving sentence for her kids? unpaid school fines - Salon.com

i thought we outlawed debtors' prison.

her death is sad. the greater question is why have over 2000 people, largely women, been sentenced to jail because of debt?

Try not paying a fine some time...let me know what happens! :cuckoo:

you seem to have missed the point. :rolleyes:

I wonder if she had a medical condition she either didn't KNOW about or didn't tell the police about...bad heart, aneurysm, something like poorly-controlled diabetes...hell, even a food allergy.

Exactly. Here you have a somewhat young women dropping dead. Who the hell can predict that?

People who can't deal with their problems do drugs. They can't accept reality so they live in unreality.

At college, they gave us a list of 25-50 reasons why people might be at risk for drugs or alcohol and I thought it was stupid because they were self explanatory. A co-worker said that it was a great list because when you are on drugs, you don't know any better.

That is why the judge is inexperienced. The minute the judge put her in jail, he was responsible for her welfare and he failed.

there is no indication she was anything but poor.

You some kind of racist?

What, because I know that if this women were black, the comments would be different? Just like the crazy guy who hit a women in the head with a baseball bat...if he weren't black, the thread would have been absolutely different (it wouldn't have been a thread because we ignore white violence).

You're a dumbass. I dont care what color she was. White trash is just another color of ******.

Go fuck yourself and your neg. If you see a difference in trash you're nothing but a racist.

Go fuck yourself and your neg. If you see a difference in trash you're nothing but a racist.
Neg? I didn't neg you dumbass. You teapers are a crude bunxh...how much more shit are you going to make up tonight. Dumb fucker.

I don't care if the kids didn't attend school. You cannot lock someone up for not paying a fine.

lol, obviously a judge can and they do it all the time.

Maybe you should go tell these judges a thing or two, you fucking idiot.

Obviously Jim has not heard the aphorism “When you resort to name calling, you’ve lost the argument." He appears to use name calling repeatedly in every post he makes. Losing a lot of arguments I guess. LOL

Regardless of his demeanor he's right. It happens all the time.

I don't care if the kids didn't attend school. You cannot lock someone up for not paying a fine.
Hmmmmm....

I wonder if that's true... in the US, in Australia, or elsewhere...

It probably depends on the TYPE of fine at-issue...

For example, if you've been convicted of D(riving) U(nder) the I(nfluence of an intoxicating substance), you can be sentenced to both jail-time and fine(s), as well as community-service labor hours, psychological counseling, driver-retraining classes, victim-impact seminars, etc.

Oftentimes, when sentenced, jail-time is set aside or not pronounced as part of the sentence, contingent upon the perpetrator completing the other aspects of the sentence.

Fail to show-up for community-service time, or fail to show-up for classes, or fail to pay your fines, or fail to make suitable alternative payment arrangements in lieu of immediate payment, and, come the time for your next follow-up (compliance-checking) court appearance, you're at-risk of going to jail; at that first follow-up court appearance, or after one or two 'extensions', if you've managed to convince the judge to give you more time.

But, going to jail because of Overdue School Fees, or even due to a failure to comply with school-attendance journal-keeping?

That's going a little overboard, even for the most cavalier and arrogant and intrusive jurisdictions and politicians.

With any luck, some minimal 'good' will come from this death - triggering a closer look, both locally and more broadly, about the sort of laws that put this mother into jail.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Here in the US, or in Australia, or, indeed, in most parts of the world... civil service slugs and bureaucrats are all the same, under the skin, and it's difficult to get them to admit they're wrong (about a law), or to get them to move off their dead asses, to change one that went sour.

Last edited:
Once more, from the top, Chuckie: should anyone spending even a few hours in jail be taken to a doctor and fully checked, then? EEG, full blood work, test for every known allergen, and so forth? Yes or no, answer the question!

If you send them to jail, they are your responsibility. She died on the judge's watch.

Yet AGAIN: should anyone spending even a few hours in jail be taken to a doctor and fully checked, then? EEG, full blood work, test for every known allergen, and so forth? Yes or no, answer the question! Stop tap-dancing and ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION!

We dont know if she was on drugs or just had a simple heart attack. And they ALWAYS ask if you have any medical needs. If she answered no she has no one to blame but herself.

And you think people on drugs are responsible...

Forum List

Back