Woohoo!! GA Gov. vetoes religious liberty bill; Muslims must bake Mohammed cake; Gays must cater too

So if the couple is happy to pick up their cake rather than have it delivered.....you're cool?

Absolutely. If they want a custom cake with rainbow and gay symbols on it...nah. Same as how I wouldn't want a Jewish baker to make a Nazi cake or a Muslim to make a Mohammed cake.

But if a gay man walks in and orders 10 standard cakes for a wedding? I'm ok with the law saying you can't deny the standard product you sell to everyone else out of the store.

Custom cakes and attending events....that should be a choice.

Where did the couple in Oregon who went to Sweet Cakes and order a cake.....insist that the baker 'cater their wedding'?

Maybe it is a regional thing. Around here the baker brings the cake to the ceremony, sets it all up and is actually present at the ceremony & reception. That is considered catering, as opposed to customers picking up cakes/sweets at the shop. This, as far as I can tell, is the big sticking point. The bakers are fine baking a wedding cake. They don't want to go to the event, as that is construed as supporting the event. IIRC, the one that was for pickup (not!catered), baker had an issue with cake toppers and offered to include the 2 same-sex figurines but asked the customer to actually put it on the top, at a discounted rate. This was deemed unacceptable and the baker was sued.

Are wedding cakes pickup in your region?

Its mix and match. But if is dropped off its usually well before the ceremony. And they don't wait at the wedding. They deliver....and the leave. Most of the time there are several weddings happening on the same day and they deliver several cakes for them.

Interesting. That would be more profitable. They dont generally attend the church weddings in this region unless they are friends or family, because they are at the reception hall putting the cake together. A lot of weddings here are a wedding/reception combo in the same hall/civic center, so no way to avoid the wedding.

Weddings here tend to bunch on the weekends. So there can be several weddings that cakes are being delivered to on the same day. If there are scheduling conflicts they are usually worked out in advance. Which is where the 'pick ups' come in.. Delivery is most common in my experience. And there is some set up, but its usually before the wedding. The cake makers do their best to get in, set up, and get out as quickly as possible.

Even on elaborate cakes it usually takes....an hour maybe? Often as little time as it takes to move the cake from the van to the table its going to be served from.

I do some pretty elaborate cake toppers for some clients during wedding season, so I know more than the average bear about the local wedding scene. You have to work cheek by jowl with many of the cake bakers. But then....they're some of your best sources of referrals! It doesn't hurt that I only do certain designs for certain bakers. So if you want that design, you have to buy their cake.

Its a nice source of a little springtime fun money. Most of my pieces are studio work.

If Michigan doesn't include sexual orientation as part of their PA laws, then what laws are violated by not making a gay wedding cake in Michigan?

Wouldn't that be bigoted if the Muslims refused (multiple DID)?

Absolutely. But it wouldn't be against the law.

Its the reason that the federal government generally doesn't get involved in these cases. As there is no federal protection for sexual orientation in federal PA laws. All of these cases are State laws. Which make what the State law covers immediately relevant.

And Michigan is like the federal law.

I know you've got a hard on to go on some anti-Muslim Dearborn rant.....and then tell us how we should bomb muslims until 200 million are dead, wage 'total war' against them, set up camps and the like.

But I'm discussing the law.

Sure. But isn't the law irrelevant??'

Haven't I already answered that exact question....like twice?

I know you've got a hard on to go on some anti-Muslim Dearborn rant.....and then tell us how we should bomb muslims until 200 million are dead, wage 'total war' against them, set up camps and the like.

But I'm discussing the law

So....if the law allows it....the left is ok with bakers refusing service to gays???

Its certainly legal. I'd consider it bad business and thoroughly dickish. But my issue with religious exemptions from the law.

They forced promotion of a behavior that conflicts with their religious beliefs. Your argument is extremely dishonest.

They're 'forced' to follow the law....and treat customers the same regardless of their sexual orientation, race, religion, etc.. The same laws that everyone else follows. Laws that don't target Christians or anyone else.

This religiously based sovereign citizen nonsense where Christians should only have to follow laws that they agree with? isn't how our country operates nor should.

And is it only Christian dogma that trumps civil law? Or do place US civil law beneath Sharia law as well?
That's right. They have to treat the customers the same. And they can't be forced to bake a homo cake for heteros either.

There's no such thing as 'homo cake'. Cake doesn't have a sexual orientation...as it doesn't have sex. Its inanimate.

There's just cake.
Yes there is. That is the entire argument. It's never been about baking a cake. It's about endorsing the behavior using the cake to do so.

Its cake. They're getting married and want a wedding cake....so they go to a place that makes and sells wedding cakes.

That's about it.
No, that's not it. They want them to make a cake that stipulates and illustrates and ultimately endorses something that conflicts with their religion, freedom of religion and religious expression. This is pure homofascism.

Its the reason that the federal government generally doesn't get involved in these cases. As there is no federal protection for sexual orientation in federal PA laws. All of these cases are State laws. Which make what the State law covers immediately relevant.

So....if the law allows it....the left is ok with bakers refusing service to gays???

Its certainly legal. I'd consider it bad business and thoroughly dickish. But my issue with religious exemptions from the law.

I see your point. The law shouldn't allow it and Michigan's does. Which again....I don't get why the LGBT community is in an outrage that GA and NC are trying to pass laws that basically would allow bakers to do exactly what bakers in Dearborn are already allowed to do...and are doing.

Absolutely. If they want a custom cake with rainbow and gay symbols on it...nah. Same as how I wouldn't want a Jewish baker to make a Nazi cake or a Muslim to make a Mohammed cake.

But if a gay man walks in and orders 10 standard cakes for a wedding? I'm ok with the law saying you can't deny the standard product you sell to everyone else out of the store.

Where did the couple in Oregon who went to Sweet Cakes and order a cake.....insist that the baker 'cater their wedding'?

Maybe it is a regional thing. Around here the baker brings the cake to the ceremony, sets it all up and is actually present at the ceremony & reception. That is considered catering, as opposed to customers picking up cakes/sweets at the shop. This, as far as I can tell, is the big sticking point. The bakers are fine baking a wedding cake. They don't want to go to the event, as that is construed as supporting the event. IIRC, the one that was for pickup (not!catered), baker had an issue with cake toppers and offered to include the 2 same-sex figurines but asked the customer to actually put it on the top, at a discounted rate. This was deemed unacceptable and the baker was sued.

Its mix and match. But if is dropped off its usually well before the ceremony. And they don't wait at the wedding. They deliver....and the leave. Most of the time there are several weddings happening on the same day and they deliver several cakes for them.

Interesting. That would be more profitable. They dont generally attend the church weddings in this region unless they are friends or family, because they are at the reception hall putting the cake together. A lot of weddings here are a wedding/reception combo in the same hall/civic center, so no way to avoid the wedding.

Weddings here tend to bunch on the weekends. So there can be several weddings that cakes are being delivered to on the same day. If there are scheduling conflicts they are usually worked out in advance. Which is where the 'pick ups' come in.. Delivery is most common in my experience. And there is some set up, but its usually before the wedding. The cake makers do their best to get in, set up, and get out as quickly as possible.

Even on elaborate cakes it usually takes....an hour maybe? Often as little time as it takes to move the cake from the van to the table its going to be served from.

I do some pretty elaborate cake toppers for some clients during wedding season, so I know more than the average bear about the local wedding scene. You have to work cheek by jowl with many of the cake bakers. But then....they're some of your best sources of referrals! It doesn't hurt that I only do certain designs for certain bakers. So if you want that design, you have to buy their cake.

Its a nice source of a little springtime fun money. Most of my pieces are studio work.

I see. We have a lot of weekday weddings and fewer Sunday weddings. There is a strong Roman Catholic influence here, though, so that's why.

I see. We have a lot of weekday weddings and fewer Sunday weddings. There is a strong Roman Catholic influence here, though, so that's why.

Most of the weddings my work is displayed at are on the elaborate side. And made to be seen. Which means you want a day where as many people can be there as possible capable of attending. Which lumps most of them on the weekends.

Its cake. They're getting married and want a wedding cake....so they go to a place that makes and sells wedding cakes.

That's about it.

I think the issue isn't just selling a cake.

A vanilla cake is $30. A gay dude walks in and wants to buy it. Ok. No problem. Why do we even need to know he's gay unless he brings it up? Just buy the cake.

But when he comes in and say "Me and my gay boyfriend are getting married and having a gay wedding. You must attend it and cater it. I want 10 vanilla cakes served at the wedding. You will be there."

That's the difference.

If I walk into a Muslim bakery...and I despise Islam...I can still buy a cake they have on display for public purchase.

But if I'm having a party to paint pictures of Mohammed in pig blood and serve pork and hire strippers....should I be able to force Allah's Holy Bakery to cater it?

No. I shouldn't be able to force them to do that.

So if the couple is happy to pick up their cake rather than have it delivered.....you're cool?

I've never been to a wedding where the baker stayed for the reception after dropping off and setting up the cake.

A vanilla cake is $30. A gay dude walks in and wants to buy it. Ok. No problem. Why do we even need to know he's gay unless he brings it up? Just buy the cake.

But when he comes in and say "Me and my gay boyfriend are getting married and having a gay wedding. You must attend it and cater it. I want 10 vanilla cakes served at the wedding. You will be there."

That's the difference.

If I walk into a Muslim bakery...and I despise Islam...I can still buy a cake they have on display for public purchase.

But if I'm having a party to paint pictures of Mohammed in pig blood and serve pork and hire strippers....should I be able to force Allah's Holy Bakery to cater it?

I've never been to a wedding where the baker stayed for the reception after dropping off and setting up the cake.
maybe it's a goyim thing

That's the difference.

The Baker was the one who cut and served my wedding cake after the ceremonial 1st slice. Well, it was an employee of the bakery, doubt it was the chick that actually put it in the oven. Same with the groom's cake.

maybe it's a goyim thing

More likely a southern thing. Etiquette and tradition still cling, although these millennials are rude little snots. But then, I have become my mother, so ... sigh

maybe it's a goyim thing

More likely a southern thing. Etiquette and tradition still cling, although these millennials are rude little snots. But then, I have become my mother, so ... sigh

Kids these days, amiright?

What does the law say? :The news this morning said that no one could refuse to attend a gay wedding.

That's the difference.

T

Why do they have to drop it off and set it up. It's a cake. Go in buy your cake. Stop making wedding cakes for the public. .

T

Why do they have to drop it off and set it up. It's a cake. Go in buy your cake. Stop making wedding cakes for the public. .

Wedding cakes are not easy to transport and often require assembly on site. I made no comment for or against. I don't have a problem baking a wedding cake for homosexuals or alcoholics or divorcees, but I am not evangelical or Protestant ... nor can I bake worth a crap.

T

Because people have other shit to worry about on their wedding day and you are paying the baker hundreds, and in some cases thousands, of dollar? Deliver the fucking cake.

:mm::woohoo:

Money talks. That's what's more important to Christians.
Evidently not since the Christians will gladly forgo the money if they aren't forced to commit a sin.

Perhaps the bakers and florists will donate the profit to some Christian group in the name of the happy couple. Get on some active mailing lists.

How about just saying their calendar is full on that day?

Make the cake but don't stay for the wedding.

If people are so phobic, find a polite way to excuse themselves instead of opening themselves to law suits? You openly make this about gay wedding, they you deserve to be sued, and loose.

Offer to call around and having someone else make the cake for them.

Unless they are asking fr pornographic images on the cake, there is no reason for no making the cake.
Turn it into a issue of hate against them and they hit you with legal action.

If Michigan doesn't include sexual orientation as part of their PA laws, then what laws are violated by not making a gay wedding cake in Michigan?

What makes you think that?

Forum List

Back