Would liberals allow the Beatles to play this song on college campuses?

It basically says women are the ******* of the world. Would that be ok to sing?

It's a John Lennon song which he wrote and recorded after the Beatles broke up.

Does anyone actually make a difference between the two?

The point I was making is that political correct speech codes might stifle a lot of free speech and it shows Lenin was a racist.

As the inclusion of Billy Preston as the only musician to get a credit ON a Beatles record clearly shows...

By the way, Preston also played on the Plastic Ono Band album.

By the way, are you aware that the Beatles refuse to play at a segregated music venue in the American South back in the early 1960s?

Yup, that's true. Jacksonville Florida. Gator Bowl. And after that they actually had it written into a rider in their contracts. And if the venue wouldn't do it, they'd have to pay the band for no show. Forty thousand bucks.

>> "We never play to segregated audiences and we aren't going to start now," said John Lennon. "I'd sooner lose our appearance money."

The struggle for racial equality in America later inspired Paul McCartney to write Blackbird. <<

Guess "Lenin" wasn't too accomplished at being "racist". :rolleyes:

What an ignoramus....

What would you expect from people who were big fans of Pat Boone's cover version of Little Richard's song, Tutti Frutti?

It's a John Lennon song which he wrote and recorded after the Beatles broke up.

The point I was making is that political correct speech codes might stifle a lot of free speech and it shows Lenin was a racist.

As the inclusion of Billy Preston as the only musician to get a credit ON a Beatles record clearly shows...

By the way, are you aware that the Beatles refuse to play at a segregated music venue in the American South back in the early 1960s?

Yup, that's true. Jacksonville Florida. Gator Bowl. And after that they actually had it written into a rider in their contracts. And if the venue wouldn't do it, they'd have to pay the band for no show. Forty thousand bucks.

>> "We never play to segregated audiences and we aren't going to start now," said John Lennon. "I'd sooner lose our appearance money."

The struggle for racial equality in America later inspired Paul McCartney to write Blackbird. <<

What an ignoramus....

What would you expect from people who were big fans of Pat Boone's cover version of Little Richard's song, Tutti Frutti?

Yep, that's exactly why I never use the term "cover". Unless I actually mean "cover".

I don't want to spoil the party but it looks like the OP got back to where he once belonged and abandoned thread. He must have checked out the lyrics to his own video. :dunno:

****** of the World does not bother me. But this song by John (the Beatles were the greatest, no doubt), pretty as it may be, is one that I must say still disturbs me no matter how much it comforts others.

Imagine there is no heaven, it’s easy if you try.

A beautiful sounding song. A song whose main message is for world peace and unity. Ok.
However, it is also sending a message is that the world would be better off without any religion or God even. No heaven? Really John?

Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too.

Another strong message that religion is the primary cause for most wars. Really? Maybe it was Christians and the Christian religion that saved this world from godless Naziism and Communism? Maybe it is Christianity trying to hold off the scourge of Islam which murders and subjugates wherever it chooses? Maybe using the word “religion” to disparage the one true God and a very sacrificial religion called Christianity is the work of one who knows not what they are talking about?

Above us only sky.

How grim. It’s not a heavenly song or prayer to be sure. Why would any impoverished third world peasant feel better with no hope for a heaven after his suffering life?

A beautiful sounding song. A song whose main message is for world peace and unity. Ok.
However, it is also sending a message is that the world would be better off without any religion or God even. No heaven? Really John?

Why not? Who's to say that particular brand of afterlife actually exists? There's plenty of other theories on that.

Another strong message that religion is the primary cause for most wars. Really? Maybe it was Christians and the Christian religion that saved this world from godless Naziism and Communism? Maybe it is Christianity trying to hold off the scourge of Islam which murders and subjugates wherever it chooses? Maybe using the word “religion” to disparage the one true God and a very sacrificial religion called Christianity is the work of one who knows not what they are talking about?

Hitler was Catholic and persecuted Jews, so that's two religions right there. Communism is an economic system, not something to be "saved" from. And the murdering and subjugating where it chooses (and you don't mention the Atlantic slave trade or the Native American genocide), clearly nobody has a monopoly on that --- yet "religion" (any religion) is trotted out repeatedly as justification for all that, because mass mob violence (and war) is easier to sell if you can point to a mythical superbeing and declare "He told us to do this", thereby letting the people actually doing the violence.... off the hook. That's what that means.

Above us only sky.

How grim. It’s not a heavenly song or prayer to be sure. Why would any impoverished third world peasant feel better with no hope for a heaven after his suffering life?

Again -- see #1. Just because we've been sold one particular model --- doesn't mean it's the only option.

I think when any religion does its sales pitch we (anyone) need to have the courage to say, "OK, we have your number, we'll call you if we need you ... next?" Seems to me "Imagine" is an invitation to do just that.

Last edited:

Why not? Who's to say that particular brand of afterlife actually exists? There's plenty of other theories on that.

Hitler was Catholic and persecuted Jews, so that's two religions right there. Communism is an economic system, not something to be "saved" from. And the murdering and subjugating where it chooses (and you don't mention the Atlantic slave trade or the Native American genocide), clearly nobody has a monopoly on that --- yet "religion" (any religion) is trotted out repeatedly as justification for all that, because mass mob violence (and war) is easier to sell if you can point to a mythical superbeing and declare "He told us to do this", thereby letting the people actually doing the violence.... off the hook. That's what that means.

Above us only sky.

Again -- see #1. Just because we've been sold one particular model --- doesn't mean it's the only option.

I think when any religion does its sales pitch we (anyone) need to have the courage to say, "OK, we have your number, we'll call you if we need you ... next?" Seems to me "Imagine" is an invitation to do just that.

>>Why not? Who's to say that particular brand of afterlife actually exists? There's plenty of other theories on that.<<

Yes, and you apparently relish in theories. (since nothing can be known as you say) It then allows one to think you are justified in sitting on the fence until they pass on. So you can hedge your bet and tell God, hey you never made anything clear to me so I just did what I felt like.

Sorry. The evidence is legion. Empirical evidence, historical evidence, sound reason, and miracles… all pointing to Jesus Christ. We are all accountable, especially those of us to whom Jesus says “to whom more has been given, more will be required.” Americans have been given both the freedom to know, the freedom to flourish, and a clear message to think through what has been disseminated and demonstrated.

>>Hitler was Catholic and persecuted Jews, so that's two religions right there. Communism is an economic system, not something to be "saved" from. And the murdering and subjugating where it chooses (and you don't mention the Atlantic slave trade or the Native American genocide), clearly nobody has a monopoly on that --- yet "religion" (any religion) is trotted out repeatedly as justification for all that. That's what that means.<<

Please, do not insult me with your Hitler was a Catholic insanity. Ok? So was Stalin. I would suspect there are many who were baptized Catholics as a kid who turned out to be devils. Hitler would surely qualify. Did you know how many Tibetan occultists he employed? Judas was a Jew, too. You going to impugn Judaism now as well?

Where has the Church justified killing in its teachings? The past was not so tidy and civilized as you demand, either. As far as slavery is concerned, some ingrained ways of life take centuries or more to overcome and realize its inhumanity. This was not a Christian Church teaching. It was the civilized and advanced cultures of those times morals. Who was objecting? Only true Christians in this nation sought to outlaw it, as it were.

Not unlike the middle ages. The kings and nations and trials were even more harsh almost across the board than what they accused the Church of. Christians were not unlike their pagan neighbors. Live was brutal, less educated and survival was rule of the day. How one treated their neighbor was not how 20th century civilization operated. The genocide of New World natives is not nearly the way you would like to have it. The Church surely did not advocate it, the soldiers were hardly taking orders from clergy, disease was not understood, the clergy were there more to mitigate the situation than to foster it.

So if you insist on going back centuries and pointing out sins of those who may have identified themselves as Christians (most often in name only) and not putting it in perspective with the times and the world at large then you can make your case. If you also choose to ignore all that the Catholic Church did in civilizing barbaric Europe and the outer world in education, govt, hospitals, and care for the abandoned, then you can again look so wise. But I am not interested in such a tactic.

>>I think when any religion does its sales pitch we (anyone) need to have the courage to say, "OK, we have your number, we'll call you if we need you ... next?" Seems to me "Imagine" is an invitation to do just that.<<

Seems to me your were not my target audience. The destitute third world orphan was. John’s song was doing that child no favors.

Yes, and you apparently relish in theories. (since nothing can be known as you say) It then allows one to think you are justified in sitting on the fence until they pass on. So you can hedge your bet and tell God, hey you never made anything clear to me so I just did what I felt like.

Deciding that the first thing you're told isn't necessarily all there is ain't "sitting on a fence". It's called having an open mind. If you're shopping for a car, do you just buy the first one anyone offers without considering alternatives? Of course not. No reason to here either.

Sorry. The evidence is legion. Empirical evidence, historical evidence, sound reason, and miracles… all pointing to Jesus Christ. We are all accountable, especially those of us to whom Jesus says “to whom more has been given, more will be required.” Americans have been given both the freedom to know, the freedom to flourish, and a clear message to think through what has been disseminated and demonstrated.

Ironically you're right back to the "theories" you just thought you called out. Some guy saying "the lord spoke to me in a burning bush" isn't "evidence" except perhaps of either his own power hungriness or his own insanity. Again you make no case that Theory C is any more credible than Theory B or I or J or T or any other. That's blind faith, not "evidence".

Please, do not insult me with your Hitler was a Catholic insanity. Ok? So was Stalin. I would suspect there are many who were baptized Catholics as a kid who turned out to be devils. Hitler would surely qualify. Did you know how many Tibetan occultists he employed? Judas was a Jew, too. You going to impugn Judaism now as well?

I don't know Stalin's background on that. The point is Hitler, perhaps Stalin :dunno:, the Crusades, the witch-burners, the Native American genocidists, the Atlantic slave traders and countless, literally countless wars, acts of terrorism and murders (see Roeder, Rudolph et al) have been committed in the name of Christianism. That doesn't mean Christianism DID them; it means it provided a convenient pretext. So what Lennon is saying is, without that pretext it's a lot harder to go there.

Where has the Church justified killing in its teachings? The past was not so tidy and civilized as you demand, either. As far as slavery is concerned, some ingrained ways of life take centuries or more to overcome and realize its inhumanity. This was not a Christian Church teaching. It was the civilized and advanced cultures of those times morals. Who was objecting? Only true Christians in this nation sought to outlaw it, as it were.

The Abolitionists were largely religion-based AFAIK. And so were the slave peddlers, starting with Columbus. Both of them used the same church as a "moral" base. Once again --- a crutch.

What an ignoramus....

Yep, that's exactly why I never use the term "cover". Unless I actually mean "cover".

I don't want to spoil the party but it looks like the OP got back to where he once belonged and abandoned thread. He must have checked out the lyrics to his own video. :dunno:

Don't worry. He didn't let me down.

What an ignoramus....

Don't worry. He didn't let me down.

Such a mean old man. Didn't have a point of view, knew not where he was going to.

It's a crap song with a condescending meaning. And it's degrading to women.

"Degrading" ?
ScratchHead_zpsk4apzczx.gif

Care to essplain ..... how?

Say the words and you'll be free....

Woman is the ****** of the world
Yes she is, think about it
Woman is the ****** of the world
Think about it, do something about it

We make her paint her face and dance
If she won't be a slave, we say that she don't love us
If she's real, we say she's trying to be a man
While putting her down we pretend that she is above us
Woman is the ****** of the world, yes she is
If you don't believe me take a look to the one you're with
Woman is the slave to the slaves
Ah yeah, better scream about it
We make her bear and raise our children
And then we leave her flat for being a fat old mother hen
We tell her home is the only place she should be
Then we complain that she's too unworldly to be our friend
Oh woman is the slave to the slaves
Yeah, alright

We insult her everyday on TV
And wonder why she has no guts or confidence
When she's young we kill her will to be free
While telling her not to be so smart we put her down for being so dumb
Woman is the slave to the slaves
Yes she is, if you believe me, you better scream about it​

"Degrading" ?

For a white man to write a song about something he couldn't possible understand, like he knows, is degrading.

Actually it's co-written by Yoko. But even without that, your reasoning is a non sequitur. For a white man to write about something not in his visceral experience does not make "degrading" -- that's a value judgment. "Degrading" would have to be in the lyrics. That's why I posted them -- I don't see it. I see the opposite.

It may be at worst presumptuous, but it's art.

"Degrading" ?

For a white man to write a song about something he couldn't possible understand, like he knows, is degrading.

So you'll be castigating all of the white people mocking black people on USMB from now on? That would be a full-time job.

"Degrading" ?

So you'll be castigating all of the white people mocking black people on USMB from now on? That would be a full-time job.
That rich coming from someone who's goal is to hunt down women on this board and call them stupid.

Let me ask you a question, if I may.

Do you find that living is easy with your eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see?

Forum List

Back