🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Would you be in favor of a repeal of smoking bans ....

Would you be in favor of a repeal of smoking bans in bars and retaurants?

• No. They are fair.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Yes. They are unfair.

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • No. They are unfair but I prefer they remain.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Yes. They are fair but I'd rather they be lifted.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
chocolate is bad for you and makes you fat. I shouldn't have to have your fat oozing over onto my seat on a plane or bus should I?

but if an airline wanted a fat person only section in a plane where they can ooze all over each other that would be OK because I could choose not to get oozed on by you chocolate addicts.

When the chocolate addicts start shoving chocolate down your unwilling throat I will stand with you to segregate the chocolate lovers from the rest of us.

how about when their fat bodies ooze into my seat against my will?

Fly United

United Airlines To Charge Obese Passengers Extra (WHAT DO YOU THINK: POLL)

United Airlines is cracking down on the wallets of overweight passengers.

The airline says passengers who are too large to fit into a single seat, buckle the seatbelt, or unable to put down the armrests, will be forced to buy a second ticket or upgrade to a premium class, where the seats are larger.

I have come to appreciate the ban :) Especially because I'm currently a part-time waitress and not having to breath in cigarette smoke all 10 hours long of my shift really REALLY makes things easier for me and my lungs. Go ban!

;)

PS: I used to think it was unfair, but I changed my tune.
It's interesting to hear from someone who changed their mind on the issue.

Having had to put up with long hours of constant exposure to cigarette smoke myself, I know how you feel.

I'm pretty sure if any of the anti ban people in this thread ever had to go through what servers and bartenders have to go through they'd have more compassion. Most of them would be pissed if smoking bans were repealed in their own workplaces.

chocolate is bad for you and makes you fat. I shouldn't have to have your fat oozing over onto my seat on a plane or bus should I?

but if an airline wanted a fat person only section in a plane where they can ooze all over each other that would be OK because I could choose not to get oozed on by you chocolate addicts.

When the chocolate addicts start shoving chocolate down your unwilling throat I will stand with you to segregate the chocolate lovers from the rest of us.

The image of you being being squished and suffocated beneath the fat rolls of two Sumo wrestlers seated one on each side of you gives me immense pleasure.

The image of you being being squished and suffocated beneath the fat rolls of two Sumo wrestlers seated one on each side of you gives me immense pleasure.

so you've got a fat fetish huh

Jeez, I am the only undecided. Having smoked once I have mixed feelings on this topic. Shame the separate sections didn't work. And while it has been a long time, not being able to smoke in a bar over a cold beer and meaningless conversation on all sundry topics seems un American or something.

How do you think I voted, Slippery Eel?
I think you did the right thing and voted "No, They are fair."

But that's because I expect the best from you.

imma have to disappoint you this time around then. I'm still firmly in the "let the business owner choose" frame of mind. ;)
And how do you feel about most business owners finding the bans have worked out well for them and don't want them repealed?

In my state most owners and employees supported the bans when they were first proposed and were outraged to find out that a major state restaurant association was lobbying against them. Then it was brought to the media's attention that the tobacco industry was actually financing the lobbying effort via that restaurant association.

Leaving it up to the owners will not bring smoking back to bars and restaurants. No one is interested in investing in a type of business whose customer base is dying out.

Last edited:
Jeez, I am the only undecided. Having smoked once I have mixed feelings on this topic. Shame the separate sections didn't work. And while it has been a long time, not being able to smoke in a bar over a cold beer and meaningless conversation on all sundry topics seems un American or something.
Tobacco was the red man's revenge.

imma have to disappoint you this time around then. I'm still firmly in the "let the business owner choose" frame of mind. ;)
And how do you feel about most business owners finding the bans have worked out well for them and don't want them repealed?

In my state most owners and employees supported the bans when they were first proposed and were outraged to find out that a major state restaurant association was lobbying against them. Then it was brought to the media's attention that the tobacco industry was actually financing the lobbying effort via that restaurant association.

Leaving it up to the owners will not bring smoking back to bars and restaurants. No one is interested in investing in a type of business whose customer base is dying out.
You are still missing the whole point. I could care less if the every restaurant and bar owner in the country CHOSE not to allow smoking in their establishment. It would be the owners, NOT the state making that choice, that is the real issue.

... in bars and restaurants?

:( In a way i do agree that it still should not be aloud in a public restaurant, for the sake of Children. It is not cool to be smelling cig smoke and trying to eat at the same time. Bars and Night Clubs and other adult entertainment places, i say bring it back and leave them alone. I f you don't like the smell, go outside, or sit by a window, for cross draft, it is simple as that, and for those who are too lazy to move, or won't move outta spite, SUFFER!!!!!!:lol:

The laws are brilliant....It's great walking into an establishment without the fetid smell of stale tobacco. Laws came in about 7 years ago in NZ and a little later in Oz (not too sure of the exact timing). As far as I'm aware no business has gone under because of those laws...

I find that such an argument is generally full of shit and nothing more than pink lunger rhetoric that has no basis in reality. I've seen the complete opposite in both Maryville (who later overturned such draconian bans) and Columbia, Mo whose downtown scene has fled to the outskirts of town which have caused more drunk driving arrests since inception. The FACT is, Anguille, if an owner thought that going non smoking would draw a greater crowd then it would not take a ban to cause them to enforce it. Indeed, by breaking the legs of those who WOULD cater to the smoking crowd all you do is rob the owner of their prerogatives for the sake of keeping a range of options from showing you exactly where people would RATHER go drink beer. the idea that businesses have gotten more patrons after limiting the service they provide is just asinine.

and yes, Slippery Ell, I can promise you that if the ban were lifted all those owners that you so cavalierly speak for would go back to having a smoking section in a half of a heartbeat. That you NEED a ban in the first place conveys exactly why you are too chickenshit to find out for yourself.

Now, you can disregard whatever EVIDENCE you want to ignore for the sake of rhetorical bullshit.... But... being a stubborn ass pink lunger won't validate the silly ass talking points when reality is but a downtown away.

The lingering effects of the city's smoking ban

March 26, 2009

Two years later not all Columbia businesses are fired up about the ban. Steve Reynolds owns two area bars, and he says the ban is hindering his business. He thinks the ban is hypocritical. “What upsets me is it’s a legal substance,” he says. “If they’re so set on saving people’s lives, then stop selling cigarettes inside the city limits, too.”

Reynolds’ first bar, Cody’s, is in the city limits and has to comply with the smoking ban. Since the ban, Reynolds estimates that his business has dropped 40 percent. To compensate, he has invested about $5,000 to build a deck that accommodates the smoking customers, who by law are allowed to smoke outside in a designated area. His wife, Becky, who co-owns Cody’s, estimates that they have to pay about $100 a night to extra staff who enforce the ban. “At least every night someone says, ‘Why can’t we smoke? What are you going to do about it?’” she says.

To help offset the lost revenue, Reynolds and Travis Gregory, a lieutenant with the Columbia Fire Department, opened Jake’s. The bar and restaurant sits just outside of the city limits at the Lake of the Woods exit on Interstate 70, where the ban is not in effect.

Business has been good, Reynolds says, but not good enough to make up for the loss at Cody’s. Luckily, students are not the main customer base, so location is not an issue. The restaurant is filling a definite niche because many customers are angry they can no longer smoke in Columbia. Reynolds says his customers appreciate that at Jake’s they can order a beer and a burger and have a smoke.

Vox Magazine - The lingering effects of the city's smoking ban

:( In a way i do agree that it still should not be aloud in a public restaurant, for the sake of Children. It is not cool to be smelling cig smoke and trying to eat at the same time. Bars and Night Clubs and other adult entertainment places, i say bring it back and leave them alone. I f you don't like the smell, go outside, or sit by a window, for cross draft, it is simple as that, and for those who are too lazy to move, or won't move outta spite, SUFFER!!!!!!:lol:

how about banning loud and untrained, screaming children from restaurants, more annoying than smoking!!!!

how about banning loud and untrained, screaming children from restaurants, more annoying than smoking!!!!

*laughs* I'm a parent, but totally agree.....:D :D

I'm a parent and I totally agree! The untrained children (usually uncontrolled by the parents that couldn't bother to properly train them) also tend to set a bad example for children that are, typically, better behaved. It can turn into one big snowball effect. UGH!

As for the original question...I would repeal the bans. It should be up to a business owner who they wish to do business with.

Check this out. Corzine signed this bill on the same day he approved medical marijuana. E-cigarettes? For goodness sakes!

New Jersey has enacted restrictions on the sale and use of electronic cigarettes.

Gov. Jon Corzine on Monday signed into law legislation that prohibits the use of electronic smoking devices in workplaces and other indoor public places and prohibits their sale to minors.

Electronic cigarettes look like the real thing but don't contain tobacco. Instead, they employ a metal tube with a battery that heats up a liquid nicotine solution. Users inhale and exhale the resulting water vapor.

The bill's sponsor, Assemblywoman Nancy Munoz, a Republican from Summit, says the restrictions are a matter of erring on the side of caution because the health risks associated with e-cigarettes have not been fully determined.

New Jersey 101.5 FM - NJ Restricts Use of Electronic Smoking Devices

Anyone try one?

Forum List

Back