WSJ Op-Ed Bitch-Slaps GOP - Gotta' Love It

NoTeaPartyPleez

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2012
When the Wall Street Journal starts publishing Op-Eds like this one, then you know the GOP is in deep kim-chee.

July 9, 2013

House Republicans and Immigration
The GOP choice: A party of opportunity or closed borders?

Today the 234 House Republicans will meet behind closed doors in a therapy session that could decide the fate of immigration reform. This will be raucous and maybe enlightening. The GOP is splintered and confused on immigration, and this has left the party with no coherent or winning message. Too often Americans hear the shrillest anti-immigration Republicans whose only argument is "secure the border," as if that is a sensible policy for the 21st century.

House Speaker John Boehner's job is to make sure those voices don't carry the day. He and his colleagues face a fundamental choice: kill immigration reform, or try to pass constructive and pro-growth measures that have broad public and business support, including from millions of conservatives.

The first option would be a policy blunder and perhaps a political disaster. The Republican-led House has tried to sell itself as a party of solutions. To fail to fix any part of an immigration system that everyone agrees is contrary to U.S. economic interests, and after the Senate has passed a bipartisan reform, would play into Democratic charges that House Republicans are mere obstructionists.

Nearly as unproductive would be merely to pass another border-security bill as the GOP did in 2006. That would allow the legal immigration system to grow more unworkable by the day. Surely there is a Republican agenda beyond militarizing the border and turning ICE into the Republican version of OSHA and EPA that criminalizes employers who create jobs.

The good news is that there is. Even if the House doesn't want to take up the entire bill that recently passed the Senate, it can still consider and pass the parts that are pro-growth and that most Republicans support.

These include a provision to allow foreign graduates of U.S. schools with science, math and technology degrees to stay in America if they have a job offer. Even Mitt Romney supported this one. Another provision would double the number of H-1B visas for skilled immigrants, while a third would allow visas to those who will start businesses and invest in America. These reforms are vital to U.S. economic leadership, and a party that opposes them looks blinkered and backward.

Republicans should also vote to codify the Dream Act, which would allow some two million immigrants who were brought into the country illegally as children to become legal residents and eventually citizens. President Obama has issued an executive order toward this goal, but Republicans can make it permanent and get some credit for a policy that is the essence of compassionate conservatism.

If Republicans insist on passing more border-security measures, then House fiscal hawks should at least cut out the $30 billion of waste in the Senate bill. This could be strategically paired with guest-worker programs for agriculture and other workers, as well as speeding up green cards for those who have been waiting lawfully in line for years to become Americans.

History proves without question that the best way to reduce illegal immigration is by opening more paths for legal immigrants to meet U.S. labor demand. Border security alone won't work. Almost all Republicans in the House insist they support legal immigration. It's time to prove that with some votes.

House GOP leaders say they aren't sure they have the votes to pass these measures. They thus may need Democratic votes, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi may command her troops to vote no on anything but the Senate bill. Let them. If Silicon Valley Democrats want to vote against high-tech visas, that's their choice. If the Hispanic caucus wants to vote down the Dream Act and more farm workers, then so be it. Democrats can then take responsibility if these measures fail.

Republicans should also be willing to debate and vote on the issue of legalizing 11 million illegal immigrants. We support this path to citizenship, and many House Republicans also claim to support it eventually, someday, just not as in the Senate bill. Mr. Boehner should challenge his Members to come up with the terms they would support, because the alternative is "self-deportation" that isn't going to happen.

The dumbest strategy is to follow the Steve King anti-immigration caucus and simply let the Senate bill die while further militarizing the border. This may please the loudest voices on talk radio, but it ignores the millions of evangelical Christians, Catholic conservatives, business owners and free-marketers who support reform. The GOP can support a true conservative opportunity society or become a party of closed minds and borders.

A version of this article appeared July 9, 2013, on page A12 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: House Republicans and Immigration.

Review & Outlook: House Republicans and Immigration - WSJ.com

No one cares who is a true Conservative what libruls think, RINO editorials, etc.. We don't give a shit about your politically correct rules and societal propaganda ploys.

Immigrants are our lifeblood. They are over-represented in our enterpreneul businesses. We need immigrants to keep America strong.

Our immigration system is beyond dysfunctional, and everyone in government knows it. Unfortunately, idiotic demagogues are mucking everything up by being followers instead of leaders. They listen to the dumbest of the dumb in their constituencies.

We need to attract the brightest of the bright. India is right now producing more engineers than India has jobs for. So let's bring them beautiful darkie bastards here and put them to good use inventing and innovating. That's what will save 'Merka.

We should be educating our workforce for the jobs of tomorrow, not protecting the low skilled roof shingling shit jobs of yesterday. Every prosperous nation has a large immigrant labor force to do the shit jobs while the natives do the smart stuff that makes them real money.

Unfortunately, the natives are demanding to be kept stupid. They listen to the most insane firebrands on the radio. Hate-filled bigots. "Darkies stealin' yer roof shingling jobs!"

Um...before Bush's catastrophic economic crash, we had full employment, with the same number of illegals we have today, if not more.

The stupidity is really beginning to snowball.

Last edited:
gotta love it......

Republicans between a rock and a hard place on immigration reform

Any way you cut it, they lose

No one cares who is a true Conservative what libruls think, RINO editorials, etc.. We don't give a shit about your politically correct rules and societal propaganda ploys.

See that RINO label again. Looks how many uses it has. WSJ is a conservative paper UNTIL they say something not approved by Repubs then they slap the RINO label on it

Are you conservative and want to disagree with another conservative? Easy call them a RINO

Did you think the Patriot act was a good law until Obama got it but don't want to look like a fool? No problem slap the RINO label on GWB.

Never take responsibility ever again. Now you can support all the media, pols etc you want and have a super easy way to pretend not to be a fucking fool. SLAP the RINO label on it.

Letting in 50 million voters who are presumed to be democrat voters isn't going to help the GOP.

Letting in 50 million voters who are presumed to be democrat voters isn't going to help the GOP.

50 million?

I love how you assholes just make shit up. You never learn, do you.

And, gee, is it any wonder immigrants will end up voting Democratic and not for the party which so clearly hates them? You fucking bigoted idiots ruining the GOP are missing a golden opportunity. These are hard-working, deeply religious, family oriented people. Everything the GOP claims to be about. But you choose to shit in their faces instead, negatively stereotyping them. Vomiting endless confirmation bias. Brilliant strategy!

Like I said. The stupidity is snowballing.

Last edited:
These include a provision to allow foreign graduates of U.S. schools with science, math and technology degrees to stay in America if they have a job offer.
\

THIS does not need a separate bill - it is ALREADY POSSIBLE.

Looks like the authors of the bill never checked with an existing immigration law and it's amendments.
It is entirely possible to legalize yourself under the existing law even if you overstayed your visa or jumped the border.
The whole bruha-ha is about generating some new revenue not in the immigration lawyers pockets but into the federal treasury.
Existing fees are costly already but they want more.
The entire process of legalization from the illegal status to permanent resident is about 5K to 20K - depends on where do you live and what do you do.

Says the girl who boasted about volunteering on Mitt Romney's campaign.

True.. I don't deny I was a mind numb GOP voter last election cycle. It won't ever happen again. I will never vote for or support a RINO infested GOP pig. I'm pushing to start a 3rd party or most of us will simply vote Libertarian, which I lean predominantly toward anyhow. I sold out over fear of Obama winning and it got me no where. Lesson learned.

True.. I don't deny I was a mind numb GOP voter last election cycle. It won't ever happen again. I will never vote for or support a RINO infested GOP pig. I'm pushing to start a 3rd party or most of us will simply vote Libertarian, which I lean predominantly toward anyhow. I sold out over fear of Obama winning and it got me no where. Lesson learned.

I stopped voting in 2006. I finally realized I was not making the GOP earn my vote, and that psychopaths, liars, hypocrites, and bigots had taken over the party.

It has only gotten worse since then. Much, much worse.

Forum List

Back