WTF Is Wrong with this country

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
My wife and I just finished building our new house and are getting an alarm installed

We wanted to add video and audio surveillance as well and were informed that we would have to put stickers and signs on the doors and lawn notifying any piece of shit criminal who would want to break in of said surveillance.

If we didn't have the notices any piece of shit scum bag motherfucker who broke into my house would get off Scott free even if said piece of shit scum bag motherfucker was taped breaking in and robbing me

So I ask what the fuck is wrong with this country?

Don't know where you live. In Virginia I can tape anything that occurs on my property, including phone calls, and use as evidence if necessary.

My wife and I just finished building our new house and are getting an alarm installed

We wanted to add video and audio surveillance as well and were informed that we would have to put stickers and signs on the doors and lawn notifying any piece of shit criminal who would want to break in of said surveillance.

If we didn't have the notices any piece of shit scum bag motherfucker who broke into my house would get off Scott free even if said piece of shit scum bag motherfucker was taped breaking in and robbing me

Are you serious?

Putting up the stickers and some fake cameras seems to work, without all the expense

I've heard stories about burglars suing the owners of the homes they broke into because they got injured in the process.... don't know if it's true or not... if so they had one helluva lawyer.....

How much do you wanna bet those video home security systems eventually get sued because somoene was looking at surveillance footage at the office it's kept in unauthorized to do so? :)

I remember a few years ago an incident where a criminal sued a homeowner and won a large sum of money in court.

The homeowner had a nice brass weathervane in top of his roof. A criminal climbed into the roof in order to steal it. In the processes he slipped and fell off the roof and severely injured his back and broke some bones.

A shyster lawyer on the criminal's behalf sued the homeowner for having an "attractive nuisance" attached to the roof of his house.

The jury found the homeowner guilty of enticing the criminal to attempt the theft by displaying the weathervane and awarded him a large sum of money for pain and suffering.

Only in America.......... :cool:

I remember a few years ago an incident where a criminal sued a homeowner and won a large sum of money in court.

The homeowner had a nice brass weathervane in top of his roof. A criminal climbed into the roof in order to steal it. In the processes he slipped and fell off the roof and severely injured his back and broke some bones.

A shyster lawyer on the criminal's behalf sued the homeowner for having an "attractive nuisance" attached to the roof of his house.

The jury found the homeowner guilty of enticing the criminal to attempt the theft by displaying the weathervane and awarded him a large sum of money for pain and suffering.

Link please

What does your homeowners insurance have to say about this?

the better solution would be to put a gun free zone sign up

and then not honor the sign yourself

--LOL

some might say that is "baiting"

--LOL

I can find nothing that says you need to notify of video surveillance in your home. There are a few states that require it in some business situations.
I had an ADT security system years back and they put up signs on the front lawn, saying they were required. Come to find out, they were only required by ADT to advertise their product.
It does make sense as a deterrent. I have 8 cameras inside and out at Doc's. It has come in handy a few times. There is no sign, but the cameras are in plain view.

Who told you that, the country building inspector or the company?

I've heard stories about burglars suing the owners of the homes they broke into because they got injured in the process.... don't know if it's true or not... if so they had one helluva lawyer.....
A fucking scumbag in my opinion...

The Great Society

A. Lawyers making mountains out of molehills. Mountains of cash, that is.
B. Media. The media shapes the culture and makes many believe they are victims of life's lottery. If you have more you took it unfairly from somebody.

I think if you read all of the responses here you come up with the answer to the OPs question of wtf is wrong.

Lawyers and judges.
Lawyers and judges may be a problem, but not in this case as the OP has outlined. The problem is either a poorly informed homeowner or the homeowner lives in a fucked up local and or state. It will be interesting to learn who made the demands and informed the homeowner about the use of security camera use on his property.

Hmmmmm

"Attractive Nuisance" applies to children. Would seem to me impossible to apply to an adult.

Forum List

Back