Yes, it was all a lie about Obamacare

Cheapest policy according to the IRS will be $20,000/yr. Where is all my savings from Obamacare??
IRS: Cheapest Obamacare Plan Will Be $20,000 Per Family | CNS News

This isn't January anymore: actual premiums for next year are now public in several states. Turns out that what was obvious at the time (a round number chosen by the IRS in an example of how to perform a calculation was not a prediction of rates) has been confirmed.

Why is this old article making the rounds again today? Did the good folks at the RNC or their social media affiliates accidentally send around four-month-old discredited talking points this morning?

They never seem to learn. Like what Einstein said about insanity.

CNBC said:
Nearly two-thirds of Americans who currently lack health insurance don't know yet if they will purchase that coverage by the Jan. 1 deadline set by the ACA, a new survey revealed Monday.

Perhaps shitty reporting has something to do with the confusion. They have until March 31, not January 1.

It was obvious to me that when Obama repeatedly used 46 million as number of uninsured this was going to be a GIGANTIC cluster...K!
When his own Census said 10 million uninsured were not citizens, and 14 million only needed to register with Medicaid and they were covered it proved to me they didn't know what they were doing!
But when he falsely included 18 million people THAT didn't want health insurance I KNEW this was a huge fraud!
Subtract that 42 million above and you find ONLY 4 million that truly wanted and needed health insurance.
So that's why taxing lawyers 10% of $200 billion income would pay a $5,000 a person premium. BUT then I found out lawyers gave OBAMA/Congress $300 million in 2008!
Unlike the tanning salon lobby that didn't and found themselves now responsible for 10% tax all because tanning causes cancer!
Well lawyers cause $850 billion a year in defensive medicine... why are they exempt other then they are fellow lawyers with Obama and 47% of Congress!

Obama never used the 46 million number.

Obama started:"We are not a nation that accepts nearly 46 million uninsured men, women and children,"
46 Million Uninsured: A Look Behind The Number : NPR

Gotta cut him some slack, he was also campaigning in all 57 states.

Cheapest policy according to the IRS will be $20,000/yr. Where is all my savings from Obamacare??

This isn't January anymore: actual premiums for next year are now public in several states. Turns out that what was obvious at the time (a round number chosen by the IRS in an example of how to perform a calculation was not a prediction of rates) has been confirmed.

Why is this old article making the rounds again today? Did the good folks at the RNC or their social media affiliates accidentally send around four-month-old discredited talking points this morning?
Good catch.

The actual numbers are actually worse.
Rate Shock: In California, Obamacare To Increase Individual Health Insurance Premiums By 64-146% - Forbes

Good catch.

Not quite. California's cheapest bronze plan (i.e. the one that's supposed to be $20,000) is $219/month for a middle-aged person, or about $2,600 per year. With an individual premium like that, family plans are virtually certain to be less than $10,000/year.

Similarly, the cheapest bronze plan for a family in Vermont (a state with limited competition due to its size and a regulatory climate well above anything imposed by the ACA) is about $11,600. Meanwhile, most families in the exchanges will pay significantly less than those prices if they choose those plans.

So you've only inflated the actual prices by roughly a factor of two. Baby steps toward honesty!

Good catch.

Not quite. California's cheapest bronze plan (i.e. the one that's supposed to be $20,000) is $219/month for a middle-aged person, or about $2,600 per year. With an individual premium like that, family plans are virtually certain to be less than $10,000/year.

Similarly, the cheapest bronze plan for a family in Vermont (a state with limited competition due to its size and a regulatory climate well above anything imposed by the ACA) is about $11,600. Meanwhile, most families in the exchanges will pay significantly less than those prices if they choose those plans.

So you've only inflated the actual prices by roughly a factor of two. Baby steps toward honesty!

Cali really doesnt have any regulations to hiking up rates.

The cheapest Family Plan in the Vermont Flier you posted for a PPO was 754, that is NOT affordable.

Good catch.

The cheapest Family Plan in the Vermont Flier you posted for a PPO was 754, that is NOT affordable.

i didnt post it numbnuts.

Last edited:
They absolutely do, ALL States do.

You must file proposed new rates and get approval before you can raise them.

Good catch.

They absolutely do, ALL States do.

You must file proposed new rates and get approval before you can raise them.

no they really dont, and thats why Insurance in Cali goes up so fast.

Some obvious points:

1) This thread is about the (discredited) claim that the cheapest bronze plan available to a family is going to be $20,000. It was obvious four months ago when the rightwing blogosphere fabricated that meme that it was nonsense. Now that actual premiums are being posted, it's even more obvious. The actual premiums for the plans in question will be about half that.

2) The average cost of a group plan last year with decent benefits and consumer protections (i.e. the reasons people have historically preferred group insurance to individual) was nearing $16,000. The prices California has posted are, in most cases, lower than the prices of comparable benefit packages being sold this year (in the most extreme cases, almost 30% lower).

3) "Affordable" is relative to income. If the family in question is making $50,000 and buys Vermont's cheapest bronze plan it will cost them about $1,000 per year. That's $83/month for this family of 5 to have the full slate of essential health benefits and the full range of consumer protections.

Wow!! Talk about creative journalism. So the minimum premium a family with an undefined policy will pay is $20,000 based on what the writer assumes is an assumption that the IRS is making based on an example for calculating a penalty. Of course the article neglects to mention that this assumed premium is prior to tax credits and does not include employee policies where most people get their insurance, but what do you expect from a publication supported by donations from right wingers.

OP- Pure Pubcrappe, for dupes only. CNS is a bought off POS. Masscare and latest stats prove O-Care will be a great success next year, none of these bs horrors have EVER happened, and 2014 will be the end of the new bs GOP. Good riddance!

Good catch.

You wouldn't know honesty if it bit you.

Daniel Kessler: ObamaCare Is Raising Insurance Costs - WSJ.com

Good catch.

You wouldn't know honesty if it bit you.

I can't quite tell--is that a glimmer of embarrassment? Are you starting to realize how foolish you've been to fall hook, line, and sinker for such an easily dismissed lie about prices that are already posted?

$20,000 indeed! :laugh:

Too funny, Greenie don't do this.

I am not talking about the Catastrophic Plan AS my post made clear.

Your shit won't work with me.

$754 a month is their LEAST expensive PPO plan.

You don't have an ounce of credibility.

Some obvious points:

1) This thread is about the (discredited) claim that the cheapest bronze plan available to a family is going to be $20,000. It was obvious four months ago when the rightwing blogosphere fabricated that meme that it was nonsense. Now that actual premiums are being posted, it's even more obvious. The actual premiums for the plans in question will be about half that.

2) The average cost of a group plan last year with decent benefits and consumer protections (i.e. the reasons people have historically preferred group insurance to individual) was nearing $16,000. The prices California has posted are, in most cases, lower than the prices of comparable benefit packages being sold this year (in the most extreme cases, almost 30% lower).

3) "Affordable" is relative to income. If the family in question is making $50,000 and buys Vermont's cheapest bronze plan it will cost them about $1,000 per year. That's $83/month for this family of 5 to have the full slate of essential health benefits and the full range of consumer protections.

Forum List

Back