Yes or No - Should Govt Be Able To Deny Gun Owners Right To Adopt?

Let's see if we can keep the responses 'short and sweet'......

--------

Illinois gun restrictions unfairly target foster parents, lawsuit claims | Fox News

"Kenneth and Colleen Shults want to permanently welcome a foster child into their Fairmount, Ill., family, but claim in a federal suit filed this week they are being forced to surrender their Second Amendment rights to do it."

------

I am not even saying the law suit is right, that owning a gun is THE reason they are being 'denied'. Just interested in the question / idea... Yes of no?

Is adoption a right?

I say again,

Is adoption a right?

This isn't a simple 'yes' or 'no' question. While there is a Constitutional right to own firearms, there is no Constitutional right to adopt children. As long as mere possession of firearms isn't a disqualifier, state authorities do have the obligation to make sure the children they place aren't put into a dangerous situation. Therefore, questions about how weapons are stored and used seem prudent and appropriate.

Only when they put the same requirement on every parent in the State. Otherwise they are violating the 14th amendment equal protection.

--------

Illinois gun restrictions unfairly target foster parents, lawsuit claims | Fox News

"Kenneth and Colleen Shults want to permanently welcome a foster child into their Fairmount, Ill., family, but claim in a federal suit filed this week they are being forced to surrender their Second Amendment rights to do it."

------

I am not even saying the law suit is right, that owning a gun is THE reason they are being 'denied'. Just interested in the question / idea... Yes of no?

Is adoption a right?

Do gay couples have a right to adopt children?

Is that a yes or a no?

It's a question. Answer it.

You didn't answer mine.

--------

------

Is adoption a right?

It's as much a right for a qualified couple as getting married.

This isn't a simple 'yes' or 'no' question. While there is a Constitutional right to own firearms, there is no Constitutional right to adopt children. As long as mere possession of firearms isn't a disqualifier, state authorities do have the obligation to make sure the children they place aren't put into a dangerous situation. Therefore, questions about how weapons are stored and used seem prudent and appropriate.

Only when they put the same requirement on every parent in the State. Otherwise they are violating the 14th amendment equal protection.

Oh my, a RW'er who finally understands marriage equality as well as the obligation of bakeries to make cakes for gay couples.

--------

------

Is adoption a right?

What happened to yes or no?

--------

------

Is adoption a right?

What happened to yes or no?

Yes, and the court will kill this requirement under the 14th amendment.

Oh my, a RW'er who finally understands marriage equality as well as the obligation of bakeries to make cakes for gay couples.

You're assuming facts not in evidence. BTW the commerce clause doesn't override the 1st amendment.

--------

------

Is adoption a right?

Do gay couples have a right to adopt children?

Is that a yes or a no?

It's a question. Answer it.

You didn't answer mine.

True, but your answer to my question will demonstrate what a colossal hypocrite you are.

You're assuming facts not in evidence. BTW the commerce clause doesn't override the 1st amendment.

Religion cannot be used to deprive others of protected rights. Case after case has proven that.

case by case basis

I agree. For example if the potential foster parents left their guns loaded all over the house where a child could grab a hold of one, hell no.

If they properly secured their fire arms then OK.

The case is about foster care. Foster care is essentially a contracted service for a fee. I'd speculate that firearm restrictions on someone contracting their services as foster parents would be at least more allowable than on a private family, including a family adopting a child.

See if any of you can figure out what I'm trying to say, lol.

Sodomites and single parents can adopt a kid. Doesn't the federal government have enough on it's plate than sue an innocent citizen who legally owns a weapon and wants to adopt a freaking kid? Using the same rationale, wouldn't it be appropriate to deny child custody to the FBI and ATF agents who were involved in shipping 3,000 illegal weapons to drug cartels in Mexico and responsible for the deaths of perhaps hundreds of Mexican civilians and at least one U.S. Border Patrol Officer?

Religion cannot be used to deprive others of protected rights. Case after case has proven that.

Yeah, that's what the corrupt courts keep saying, doesn't make them right. There's a reason freedom to exercise ones religion was in the 1st Amendment. BTW you have no constitutional right to force me to associate with you.

Yeah, that's what the corrupt courts keep saying, doesn't make them right. There's a reason freedom to exercise ones religion was in the 1st Amendment. BTW you have no constitutional right to force me to associate with you.
In public government or business or other affairs that are open to all, you can't deny a soul.

--------

------

I'll adopt a rifle, but not a kid.......and why would the feds be interdicting the adoption...?

When you take state money to manage kids, you have to follow their rules also.....sucks, but you took the dough you know.....just like your employer can severely limit your 2nd amendment rights...

In public government or business or other affairs that are open to all, you can't deny a soul.

Really, so a nudist can demand a muslim caterer to cater a nudist wedding?

When you take state money to manage kids, you have to follow their rules also.....sucks, but you took the dough you know.....just like your employer can severely limit your 2nd amendment rights...

Except you don't get state money when you adopt, that's what the thread is about. Reading is fundamental.

Forum List

Back