You Can Always Tell When Millennials Are Responsible for Websites of Major Companies

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
You create an account with a major company and your security questions are:

What’s your favorite song?
What’s your favorite destination?
Who is your best friend?
Who was your favorite teacher?
What was your favorite subject in High School?
What’s your favorite game?
Who was your teacher in 7th grade?

And we’re talking about a multibillion dollar company here.

I could tell because they default to mobile versions on my phone and when I switch to desktop it still looks like the mobile version. No mascots. Images are either way too big or way to small. Way too many interactive side menus. Too much inclusive branding. Too much self congratulating speech and not enough actual company info. Generic layouts with no personality or originality. Clunky interfaces. Buttons with terrible hit box dimensions.

I think most web designers now are just kids hired because they can create a mobile app and have little to no real web design skills. "That kid has 9 piercings, blue hair, and his resume said he made app once designed to judge your racist upbringing. Hire that manwomanthing".

Who is your best friend?

Give them a break. They’re designing websites to be used by boomers.

Who is your best friend?

It might seem childish, but are things which the vast majority of people aren't going to know about you...

And my favorite song yesterday is going to be my favorite song in 5 years?

Well, if you're not smart enough to recall what you answered when filling out the security questions, yeah, I suppose it could be problematic.

Is the name of your 7th grade teacher going to change? You home address when you were a kid? Your phone number when you were growing up?

Who is your best friend?

I had several different teachers during my 7th grade year.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Well, if you're not smart enough to recall what you answered when filling out the security questions, yeah, I suppose it could be problematic.

Is the name of your 7th grade teacher going to change? You home address when you were a kid? Your phone number when you were growing up?
I can’t remember any of my teachers names, we’re talking almost 5 decades ago.

I lived in a dozen homes by the time I was 15. New phone number in each.

Again, questions that look good to dumbass millennials.

I can’t remember any of my teachers names, we’re talking almost 5 decades ago.

I lived in a dozen homes by the time I was 15. New phone number in each.

Again, questions that look good to dumbass millennials.

I'm 60 years old. I can remember every teacher I had from kindergarten through 12th grade. I can remember every phone number I've ever had, cell phones and work numbers included.

One of my security questions is my first pet's name. I'll never forget that. She was a Great Dane named "Kim".

Do you not recall pet names?

Some may.

Favorite band. Depends on when you ask me. Then I have to wonder if I spelled it correctly.

But yea, turn on 2fa and move on.

I'm 60 years old. I can remember every teacher I had from kindergarten through 12th grade. I can remember every phone number I've ever had, cell phones and work numbers included.

One of my security questions is my first pet's name. I'll never forget that. She was a Great Dane named "Kim".

Name your first pet.

Well, that’s a goldfish I won at a fair when I was 6. Then a hamster at age 8. I must be a real moron for not remembering their names.

Who was your best friend in school?
I went to many schools as we moved about and had various friends in childhood.

What city did you meet your spouse in?
Most people are married more than once, many are single, many are widowed.

Security questions should never be subjective nor require you to have hyperthymesia.

What city were you born in?
What was the high school mascot you graduated from high school from?

As soon as you use the word ‘favorite’ you’ve entered subjective land.

As soon as you use the word ‘favorite’ you’ve entered subjective land.

Not really, no.

Sure, it's based on an opinion, but it's based solely on your opinion.

If your favorite food is lasagna, you can safely enter "lasagna" and the subjectivity of the response is negated by the fact that there's only one response.

Also, even if a year from now you decide your favorite food is Chicken Kiev, you're asking us to believe that you're not smart enough to remember that, at the time you filled out that security question, your favorite food was lasagna.

If you ask me what my favorite movies from the 1970's was, I'll tell you that it was "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid". That "favorite" isn't going to change, because every single movie made in the 1970's has already been made. There's not another one which is going to come along and usurp the current favorite...

Security questions should never be subjective nor require you to have hyperthymesia.

Well, that's a bit dramatic, don't you think?

I can remember my childhood phone number, but I can't tell you what I had for dinner a week ago.

My best friend from school is, to this day, still my best friend...

Sometimes I forget if I capitalized a word. Just happened a few days ago when a website wanted me to update my password. My 'security questions' got declined 3 or for times. Finally got it right and made notes.

Sometimes I forget if I capitalized a word. Just happened a few days ago when a website wanted me to update my password. My 'security questions' got declined 3 or for times. Finally got it right and made notes.

Oh, I always keep notes.

I have two passwords which I use almost exclusively, and neither is one which anyone would likely figure out.

The one password I use is one I've had since I first got on America Online back in the late 1990's. It's the year and model name of a guitar amplifier. I've always used it, or some variation of it; like if a capitol letter is required or a "special" character. In my notes, that one is written down as "usual", along with which letter is upper case and what the special character, if any, is.

The second one I started using about ten years ago is a the name and model of a guitar. It's written down simply as "secondary", with the same notes made regarding upper case letters and special characters.

I only have two or three passwords which don't follow this convention...

Oh, I always keep notes.

I have two passwords which I use almost exclusively, and neither is one which anyone would likely figure out.

The one password I use is one I've had since I first got on America Online back in the late 1990's. It's the year and model name of a guitar amplifier. I've always used it, or some variation of it; like if a capitol letter is required or a "special" character. In my notes, that one is written down as "usual", along with which letter is upper case and what the special character, if any, is.

The second one I started using about ten years ago is a the name and model of a guitar. It's written down simply as "secondary", with the same notes made regarding upper case letters and special characters.

I only have two or three passwords which don't follow this convention...
Yeah I used my guitar amp name too. My business requires me to access many clients' sites. Most of them require new passwords at different intervals for 'security' reasons. They most always want a certain number of upper case, lower case, numbers and special characters. I do have a Word file list but, until now, no list of security questions. Luckily my computer automatically remembers passwords.

Well, that's a bit dramatic, don't you think?

I can remember my childhood phone number, but I can't tell you what I had for dinner a week ago.

My best friend from school is, to this day, still my best friend...
‘Favorite’ is subjective and rarely permanent.

Forum List

Back