You can't cure stupid, but can we make them pay for it?

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
I'm not sure how many of you Outside and visiting this forum have ever heard of, or read the book "Into the Wild"? Or maybe you've seen Sean Penn's (go figure) film interpretation. Apparently, way too many who have seen the move decide to make the site of the young protagonist's death the goal of some demented pilgrimage. Over the years, many of those pilgrims have required rescue from that mecca of the stupid and unprepared.
The latest chapter features three Germans who thought they could make the 40-mile round trip hike to the abandoned bus McCandless used for shelter. Of course, the same river that defeated McCandless in 1992 has foiled many a "mountain men's" attempts to prove their wilderness savvy. Once again, the taxpayer has to foot the bill to rescue these three foolish morons.
FAIRBANKS, Alaska: German hikers airlifted from bus made famous by 'Into the Wild' | State News | ADN.com

The good news is, the National Park Service has already started at least one program to help offset the costs of rescuing those who overestimate their abilities or are just plain unlucky. The program is directed specifically at those participating in high-risk mountaineering activities and is similar to programs already in use in other places with other high-risk attractive nuisances, like Nepal and Pakistan.
Business | Climbers Will Be Billed For Rescue Expenses -- Park Service To Begin New Liability Policy At Rainier, Denali | Seattle Times Newspaper

A word to the wise, those who are planning an "adventure" in some unfamiliar place, do your homework and be prepared. We don't call Alaska "The Last Great Wilderness" for nothing. Maybe most visitors should restrict their "wilderness" activities to those provided by the tour companies that keep wheels under their asses...

This is something I have advocated for many years. People that venture into the woods without knowledge or preparation and require rescueing, should pay for that. And, no, I am not speaking of those who have the bad luck to break a leg or some other accident.

All too often I have seen people go out in the North Cascades with light clothes, and no extra clothes in their packs. Five miles in, the weather turns, and they end up being packed out with a serious case of hypothermia. Or, worse, having their next of kin notified.

Loads of places, all over this country and the world, should be left alone by those with no more knowledge than the travel guides provide. There are so many other attractions, I wonder why anyone would risk venturing into a wilderness area unprepared. At the very least, they could hire a local guide or someone with experience in back country travel and survival.
Up here, at least big game hunters are required to hire local hunting guides to hunt dangerous game. Well, mountain goats and Dall sheep are not dangerous, but the terrain they live in is. The other game where you would be required to hire a guide are brown/grizzly bears.

Forum List

Back