You explain it to me, because I don't understand

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Daily Kos: You won't believe this new abortion decision, or who decided it.

If a 16 y/o isn't mature enough to make her own decisions regarding family planning, then how on earth is she mature enough to parent.

As is undoubtedly typical in such cases, the only testimony we have to review is that of petitioner. She will turn 17 years old in October 2013 and is unemancipated. She testified that she mostly raised her younger siblings because her parents “were never around.” Petitioner will be a senior in high school and plans to graduate early—in December—but she did not adduce any evidence about the grades that she has received. She wants to move out of her foster parents’ house after she graduates and has saved enough money to live on her own. Petitioner has not lived on her own, and she is dependent upon her foster parents for financial support. She plans to attend college, either in December or after working for “a little bit.” Petitioner did not testify about any work experience. “‘Experience, perspective and judgment are often lacking in unemancipated minors who are wholly dependent and have never lived away from home or had any significant employment experience.’” We find that to be true in this case.

Petitioner has engaged in counseling regarding abortion. She first testified that she had been to counseling three times, then said that she had five sessions, and later testified that she “went three times at, um, one center and then went once at another and then had two on the phone.” Petitioner’s attorney clarified that petitioner had six sessions where she either had counseling or a medical procedure. She has had three ultrasounds and has heard the unborn child’s heartbeat. She understands that an abortion would “kill the [unborn] child inside [of her].” Petitioner testified that someone discussed the risks associated with terminating a pregnancy, including bleeding and a possibility of death, but petitioner did not otherwise expound on the substance of the counseling. Nor did she elaborate on a discussion she had with a cousin’s mother. She presented no evidence regarding her understanding of the emotional and psychological consequences of abortion or of the immediate and long-range implications of the procedure.

Upon our de novo review, we conclude that petitioner has failed to establish by clear and convincing evidence that she is sufficiently mature and well informed.

I am hereby implementing the TK rule, whereby I inform you ahead of any possible debate that I will not respond to your posts if I find you have either a) not read the article in its entirety, or b) you're just verbally vomiting what you say in every abortion thread you've ever encountered.

"If a 16 y/o isn't mature enough to make her own decisions regarding family planning, then how on earth is she mature enough to parent."!

What a profound statement.

I'm still wondering why she's worried about her foster parents giving her up. If they're a traditional family, then they sure did an awful job immersing her in tradition as an alternative to promiscuity as well as explaining to her how practicing tradition is useful for maturely judging a future partner's character and establishing a sustainable lifestyle.

If they're not a traditional family, then why is she worried?

Either way, cases like this show why underage promiscuity laws need to be tightened.

• Banned
I'm still wondering why she's worried about her foster parents giving her up. If they're a traditional family, then they sure did an awful job immersing her in tradition as an alternative to promiscuity as well as explaining to her how practicing tradition is useful for maturely judging a future partner's character and establishing a sustainable lifestyle.

Either way, cases like this show why underage promiscuity laws need to be tightened.

Legislating morality never works.

I mean - lay it out for me. Who would be charged? With what? What would the sentence be? How would it be enforceable?

Were you there in court to judge this young girls maturity when she testified? It was a 5 to 2 decision, so it wasn't even close. 5 very experienced judges decided she could not make that decision. You know just like the 7 to 2 Roe vs Wade decision to allow abortion. Do you wish to do away with the legal system?

I mean - lay it out for me. Who would be charged? With what? What would the sentence be? How would it be enforceable?

Well the kids should be expected to do extensive community service from neglecting how future children are forced to assume the risk of being brought into a dysfunctional household. It would preferably be assigned towards group homes, retirement homes, day care centers, or some other family oriented environment so they get their heads screwed on straight.

I guess the parents should be checked out by the local social work office too from failing to uphold due diligence towards the rest of the community. They didn't parent their own kids effectively to refrain from potentially having kids until they've established a functional household. We should remember that kids brought up in dysfunctional households burden externalities upon everyone around them. There might be some monetary damages at stake there to compensate for those potential externalities.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Were you there in court to judge this young girls maturity when she testified? It was a 5 to 2 decision, so it wasn't even close. 5 very experienced judges decided she could not make that decision. You know just like the 7 to 2 Roe vs Wade decision to allow abortion. Do you wish to do away with the legal system?

When somebody says they are too young, or not ready to be a parent, that is a HUGE red flag that probably shouldn't be ignored.

• Banned

Well the kids should be expected to do extensive community service from neglecting how future children are forced to assume the risk of being brought into a dysfunctional household. It would preferably be assigned towards group homes, retirement homes, day care centers, or some other family oriented environment so they get their heads screwed on straight.

I guess the parents should be checked out by the local social work office too from failing to uphold due diligence towards the rest of the community. They didn't parent their own kids effectively to refrain from potentially having kids until they've established a functional household. We should remember that kids brought up in dysfunctional households burden externalities upon everyone around them. There might be some monetary damages at stake there to compensate for those potential externalities.

Frankly, I don't see this flying. Not on any level anywhere in THIS country would that law be brought to pass.

Those idiots believe she isn't mature enough to have an abortion, but that she is mature enough to give birth to, and raise a child?

Are they insane?

When somebody says they are too young, or not ready to be a parent, that is a HUGE red flag that probably shouldn't be ignored.

The people of Nebraska want it this way. They voted to retain these judges & elected the governors who appointed them.

Those idiots believe she isn't mature enough to have an abortion, but that she is mature enough to give birth to, and raise a child?

Are they insane?

To expand Noomi's post..................if she can't be mature enough to have an abortion (meaning that she's smart enough to tell she's not smart enough to have kids), what makes her smart enough to raise children?)...................I mean she knew enough that she shouldn't have kids, so why force her?

Are they insane?

Will she still be immature or making decisions only based on how her parents treated her after 9 months of pregnancy? Or the entire time the child is being raised? 5 judges think she will grow up, love, protect & care for her child instead of treating it as her parents treated her. The people of Nebraska put these judges there to make this decision.

Are they insane?

Will she still be immature or making decisions only based on how her parents treated her after 9 months of pregnancy? Or the entire time the child is being raised? 5 judges think she will grow up, love, protect & care for her child instead of treating it as her parents treated her. The people of Nebraska put these judges there to make this decision.

She is looking to her future, wanting a better life, and a bunch of people who don't know her, or anything about her, think they have the right to control her uterus.
Its bullshit.

She is looking to her future, wanting a better life, and a bunch of people who don't know her, or anything about her, think they have the right to control her uterus.

Its bullshit.

Her parents & the judges know her & are still molding her until she is an adult. They know way more about her than some activist or journalist does. They also have the right to control her & her entire body until she is of legal age.

Its bullshit.

Her parents & the judges know her & are still molding her until she is an adult. They know way more about her than some activist or journalist does. They also have the right to control her & her entire body until she is of legal age.

They want to force her to endure a pregnancy, which could damage her physically and emotionally. Do they not give any thought to the effect it may have on her?

Its bullshit.

They want to force her to endure a pregnancy, which could damage her physically and emotionally. Do they not give any thought to the effect it may have on her?

Activist don't give any thought to her, they are only pushing a political agenda. Parents & judges gave her deep thought & consideration. They know her personally. Even the 26 year old Norma Leah McCorvey [better known by the legal pseudonym "Jane Roe" of Roe vs Wade decision that "legalized abortion"] changed her mind & is now is now active in pro-life causes. So there is no way in hell a 16 year old judged as immature knows anywhere near enough about it. But she will figure it out as her parents continue teaching her & as she raises this child.

Daily Kos: You won't believe this new abortion decision, or who decided it.

If a 16 y/o isn't mature enough to make her own decisions regarding family planning, then how on earth is she mature enough to parent.

As is undoubtedly typical in such cases, the only testimony we have to review is that of petitioner. She will turn 17 years old in October 2013 and is unemancipated. She testified that she mostly raised her younger siblings because her parents “were never around.” Petitioner will be a senior in high school and plans to graduate early—in December—but she did not adduce any evidence about the grades that she has received. She wants to move out of her foster parents’ house after she graduates and has saved enough money to live on her own. Petitioner has not lived on her own, and she is dependent upon her foster parents for financial support. She plans to attend college, either in December or after working for “a little bit.” Petitioner did not testify about any work experience. “‘Experience, perspective and judgment are often lacking in unemancipated minors who are wholly dependent and have never lived away from home or had any significant employment experience.’” We find that to be true in this case.

Petitioner has engaged in counseling regarding abortion. She first testified that she had been to counseling three times, then said that she had five sessions, and later testified that she “went three times at, um, one center and then went once at another and then had two on the phone.” Petitioner’s attorney clarified that petitioner had six sessions where she either had counseling or a medical procedure. She has had three ultrasounds and has heard the unborn child’s heartbeat. She understands that an abortion would “kill the [unborn] child inside [of her].” Petitioner testified that someone discussed the risks associated with terminating a pregnancy, including bleeding and a possibility of death, but petitioner did not otherwise expound on the substance of the counseling. Nor did she elaborate on a discussion she had with a cousin’s mother. She presented no evidence regarding her understanding of the emotional and psychological consequences of abortion or of the immediate and long-range implications of the procedure.

Upon our de novo review, we conclude that petitioner has failed to establish by clear and convincing evidence that she is sufficiently mature and well informed.

I am hereby implementing the TK rule, whereby I inform you ahead of any possible debate that I will not respond to your posts if I find you have either a) not read the article in its entirety, or b) you're just verbally vomiting what you say in every abortion thread you've ever encountered.

she isnt

that is why there are adoption agencies if the legal guardians choose not to take in the baby

Forum List

Back