Your Favorite Things About Israel

I am bringing My victory close; It shall not be far, And My triumph shall not be delayed. I will grant triumph in Tzion To Yisrael, in whom I glory
Isaiah 46:13 (The Israel Bible™)

קֵרַבְתִּי צִדְקָתִי לֹא תִרְחָק וּתְשׁוּעָתִי לֹא תְאַחֵר וְנָתַתִּי בְצִיּוֹן תְּשׁוּעָה לְיִשְׂרָאֵל תִּפְאַרְתִּי
Hear the verse in Hebrew

kay-RAV-tee tzid-ka-TEE LO tir-KHAK ut-shu-a-TEE LO t’-a-KHAYR v’-na-ta-TEE v’-tzi-YON t’-shu-AH l’-yis-ra-AYL tif-ar-TEE

The Heart of Jerusalem

In the Bible, the word Tzion (Zion) often refers to Yerushalayim (Jerusalem). Reflecting upon the significance of the holy city, Holocaust survivor and Nobel prize winner Elie Wiesel said, “Jerusalem must remain the world’s Jewish spiritual capital, not a symbol of anguish and bitterness, but a symbol of trust and hope. As the Hasidic master Rebbe Nahman of Bratslav said, ‘Everything in this world has a heart; the heart itself has its own heart.’ Jerusalem is the heart of our heart, the soul of our soul.

0f2cda8ae49131d07dc66539606a716633f3d6f1.png

With so many people around the world demonizing the Jewish state, life here goes on. The following account by L, a good friend of mine, sums up what those of us here experience while the armchair experts overseas do their thing.

Despite all the politics, riots, embassy moves and other crap going on right now, I wanted to give you all a piece of daily life in Israel.

As I’m checking out at the grocery store this morning, a woman walks in with her receipt and goes up to my cashier, a religious Arab woman, and lets her know that she’s been double charged for her chicken wings.

My cashier turns to the cashier behind her, a religious Jewish man, and says in a joking tone “Hey, how did you miss this? I mean, I’m fasting (it’s Ramadan) so I know how I’d make this mistake. But you? You’re not fasting. What happened?” He laughs, the woman refunds the money to the customer. I wish my cashier a great day and an easy fast. She wishes me a Happy Holiday and we all go on with our day.

On days that I’m buying alcohol, this cashier kindly asks me if I can scan the bottles for her, so that she as a religious Arab, doesn’t have to touch something that is Haram. I happily oblige.

These are the normal every day interactions we have. This is how we’re really living here. #ThisismyIsrael

Meanwhile, THIS Is Life in Israel

Tzion shall be saved in the judgment; Her repentant ones, in the retribution
Isaiah 1:27 (The Israel Bible™)

צִיּוֹן בְּמִשְׁפָּט תִּפָּדֶה וְשָׁבֶיהָ בִּצְדָקָה
Hear the verse in Hebrew

TZEE-on be-MEESH-pat teef-DEH ve-sha-VAY-ha bee-TZE-da-kah

Hashem's Judgement

Hashem (God) created the world for both man and animal to prosper. Had Hashemdesired that only the animals roam the world, there would have been no need for of mishpatecha (משפטיך), "your justice." Man, with the capacity to veer from evil and to become educated, was set on the land to fulfill Hashem's will. With man as part of the balance, it is necessary for Hashem to judge the world based on man’s actions.

All the earth is calm, untroubled; Loudly it cheers
Isaiah 14:7 (The Israel Bible™)

נָחָה שָׁקְטָה כָּל־הָאָרֶץ פָּצְחוּ רִנָּה
Hear the verse in Hebrew

na-KHA she-KAY-tah kol ha-a-RETZ patz-KHU REE-na

Strive for Calmness

The Prophet Isaiah speaks speaks of an idyllic time in the future when the earth is calm. Calm may not be one of the first words that one would use to describe the future redemption. The Bible however does use the calm numerous times as a positive character trait as well as a desirable state of mind. According to Proverbs 29:11, "A dullard vents all his rage, but a wise man calms it down." And according to Proverbs 14:30, "A calm disposition gives bodily health; passion is rot to the bones." Both mention the loftiness of calmness and describe this state as one that all of humanity should strive to achieve.

You shall observe the festival of Shavuot, of the first fruits of the wheat harvest; and the Feast of Ingathering at the turn of the year
Exodus 34:22 (The Israel Bible™)

וְחַג שָׁבֻעֹת תַּעֲשֶׂה לְךָ בִּכּוּרֵי קְצִיר חִטִּים וְחַג הָאָסִיף תְּקוּפַת הַשָּׁנָה
Hear the verse in Hebrew

ve-KHAG ha-SHA-VU-ot ta-a-SEH le-KHA BEE-koo-RAY ka-TZEER KHEE-teem ve-KHAG ha-a-SEEF t'-KU-fat ha-SHA-na

The Festival of Shavuot

Shavuot is one of the three central pilgrimage festivals and, according to Jewish tradition, is the day when the Children of Israel experienced revelation, receiving the Torah (Bible) from Hashem (God) at Mount Sinai in the barren desert land. The giving of the Torah was the single most important moment in the history of civilization – not only for Jews, but for all of mankind. The ancient rabbis explained that since Israel is the Jewish homeland, had the Torah been given in there, it would have belonged exclusively to the Jewish people. Instead, Hashem chose to transmit His moral code on a barren mountain in the barren wilderness, to emphasize that His Word is for everyone equally, because His instructions are the key to universal redemption.

In that day, this song shall be sung In the land of Yehuda: Ours is a mighty city; He makes victory our inner and outer wall
Isaiah 26:1 (The Israel Bible™)

בַּיּוֹם הַהוּא יוּשַׁר הַשִּׁיר־הַזֶּה בְּאֶרֶץ יְהוּדָה עִיר עָז־לָנוּ יְשׁוּעָה יָשִׁית חוֹמוֹת וָחֵל
Hear the verse in Hebrew

ba-YOM ha-HOO YU-shar ha-SHEER ha-ZEH be-e-RETZ YE-hu-da EER az la-NU ye-SHU-ah ya-SHEET kho-MOT va-KHEL

Do Not Complain About Godlessness, Increase Faith

Which song is the Prophet Isaiah describing in the above verse? The Prophet continues his prophecy with the lyrics to the song that will be sung in the land of Yehuda (Judea): "Open the gates, and let a righteous nation enter a nation that keeps faith" (Isaiah 26:2). Israel's first Chief Rabbi, Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook, explained this line of poetry: "The purely righteous do not complain about evil, but increase justice. They do not complain about godlessness, but increase faith. They do not complain about ignorance, but increase wisdom. Let us strive to become purely righteous by increasing justice, faith and wisdom in this world."

Forum List

Back