Your Rights Dont Matter

No, he wasn't , a short stop at a check point is NOT considered being detained. SCOTUS has ruled on this, take it up with them if you don't like it.

You got part of that right, SCOTUS has ruled on it, and they rationalize that it is reasonable to detain people for short periods of time. I would challenge you ro find a single case where they said that stopping a person, and refusing to let him leave, is not actually detaining someone.

To support me, I cite Terry v Ohio.

On the one hand, it is frequently argued that, in dealing with the rapidly unfolding and often dangerous situations on city streets, the police are in need of an escalating set of flexible responses, graduated in relation to the amount of information they possess. For this purpose, it is urged that distinctions should be made between a "stop" and an "arrest" (or a "seizure" of a person), and between a "frisk" and a "search." [n3] Thus, it is argued, the police should be allowed to "stop" a person and detain him briefly for questioning upon suspicion that he may be connected with criminal activity. Upon suspicion that the person may be armed, the police should have the power to "frisk" him for weapons. If the "stop" and the "frisk" give rise to probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a crime, then the police should be empowered to make a formal "arrest," and a full incident "search" of the person. This scheme is justified in part upon the notion that a "stop" and a "frisk" amount to a mere "minor inconvenience and petty indignity," [n4] which can properly be imposed upon the [n5]

Terry v. Ohio LII Legal Information Institute

Want to try again?
Is it your contention to break this down to the mundane minutiae of semantics?
Detained..Detained briefly?....It like you just want your pound of flesh
So let's see. Suppose the officer in the video had stated "yes you are being detained" or "Briefly detained". what difference would it have made?
The officer was performing his sworn legal duty in a perfectly legal manner.

random checkpoints are not..
That is your opinion. The 9 Wise people wearing the black robes have the final say.

Elena Kagan, Ruth Bader Ginsburg.. Wise? Are you fucking kidding me?

9 unelected dictators deign to ride roughshod on the Constitution, based of usurped powers never granted by the Constitution itself.
It's just a reference term....Wisemen. Wisepeople. Get it?
Do I think those flaming libs are "wise"..Hell fucking no.
In fact, this court did not even rule on the case which made these checkpoints Constitutional.
Only Scalia and Kennedy were on the Court when the ruling was made in 1990

This cop loses his shit because this guy knows his rights....

Ive seen this before. It's on youtube. This prick goes out looking for these checkpoints just to give the cops a hard time.

Yeah like asking if he has the right to leave. What a jerk!

oversimplification. The driver WAS being a dick. and he knew he was being a dick. He planned on being a dick. Hence the reason for the dash cam being pointed at himself.
No normal person does this unless they have something predetermined in mind.
This was a planned confrontation.

It's just a reference term....Wisemen. Wisepeople. Get it?
Do I think those flaming libs are "wise"..Hell fucking no.
In fact, this court did not even rule on the case which made these checkpoints Constitutional.
Only Scalia and Kennedy were on the Court when the ruling was made in 1990

I'll let Justice Marshall sum up my views on this;

{"The Fourth Amendment was designed not merely to protect against official intrusions whose social utility was less as measured by some `balancing test' than its intrusion on individual privacy; it was designed in addition to grant the individual a zone of privacy whose protections could be breached only where the `reasonable' requirements of the probable-cause standard were met. Moved by whatever momentary evil has aroused their fears, officials - perhaps even supported by a majority of citizens - may be tempted to conduct searches that sacrifice the liberty of each citizen to assuage the perceived evil. But the Fourth Amendment rests on the principle that a true balance between the individual and society depends on the recognition of `the right to be let alone - the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men.' Olmstead v. United States, 277 U.S. 438, 478 (1928) - See more at: http://www.roadblock.org/cases/sitz#sthash.qGCyZYGI.dpuf}

Oh hay guise look! It's dat dere Northum Carow Lahna Laoooo! Take a looky see here:
GS 20-135.2A
North Carolina State Statute § 20-135.2A.
(d) Evidence of failure to wear a seat belt shall not be admissible in any criminal or civil trial, action, or proceeding except in an action based on a violation of this section or as justification for the stop of a vehicle or detention of a vehicle operator and passengers.
Yee Haw! Do dat mean dem dere Steriod Guys wit guns caint gib me no tikit fer dat? Whoop ! whoop! Whoop! Derp?

Hurr up and ansir on accountin' dat der Tursdee Naght Footsbawl uh gettin reddy to starts soon!

Hay looky dere's more!:
(e) Any driver or front seat passenger who fails to wear a seat belt as required by this section shall have committed an infraction and shall pay a penalty of twenty-five dollars and fifty cents ($25.50)
Are yoo gwina tell me dat der Black man almost loss his lahf fer juss $25?
One more thang peoples if I may. Uh, can anyone a here tell me what that dere "infrakshun" has a meanin'? Eben mah kusin Scooter who dun finish the forth grayd don unnerstan it nayther!

Aint a Lao. Aint a Rool. It's a head headscratcher fer sure! Ah aim perpleckst!

Oh hay guise look! It's dat dere Northum Carow Lahna Laoooo! Take a looky see here:
GS 20-135.2A
North Carolina State Statute § 20-135.2A.
(d) Evidence of failure to wear a seat belt shall not be admissible in any criminal or civil trial, action, or proceeding except in an action based on a violation of this section or as justification for the stop of a vehicle or detention of a vehicle operator and passengers.
Yee Haw! Do dat mean dem dere Steriod Guys wit guns caint gib me no tikit fer dat? Whoop ! whoop! Whoop! Derp?

Hurr up and ansir on accountin' dat der Tursdee Naght Footsbawl uh gettin reddy to starts soon!

Sarcasm it may be, but the spelling of that post reflects the intelligence of your post.

Moving violations are not criminal charges. Have fun with your strawman.

But.. But.. A Costumed man with a gun and a badge said "It was the Law!" so he MUST be right!

Right?

Mr Howse you seems lahk en intigint enuf feller, anser me dis if'n yoo wud:

Is a Tikit be uh, Criminal or Civil Offense?

Ive seen this before. It's on youtube. This prick goes out looking for these checkpoints just to give the cops a hard time.

oversimplification. The driver WAS being a dick. and he knew he was being a dick. He planned on being a dick. Hence the reason for the dash cam being pointed at himself.

My dash cam is on order...and if I am pulled over, you'd better believe that the first thing I will do when I see the strobes is to turn the camera to point at myself and the driver's window!

You are partly correct.

Partly correct? Which part did I get wrong. The claim was that Miranda only applies to arrests, I said it is required whenever an officer believes you are a suspect, at which point the officer automatically pus you in custody. The courts have determined that any officer can place a suspect in custody to question him simply by denying him the right to leave. They have also pointed out that, despite police later claiming otherwise, there are certain conditions that allow a reasonable person to determine that they are actually in police custody.

Just because a police officer does not mention the term "arrest" does not exclude the citizen from their 5th amendment right to not be "a witness against himself", Miranda applies under three criteria...
It is more likely that an individual is in custody where:

• There is a traditional arrest and constraint (handcuffs, closed room, etc.)
  • Detention is long and involuntary
  • An individual is placed in hostile and unfamiliar surroundings.
Sitting in one's vehicle while asked to provide proof of insurance and a valid driver's license is not "custody".
Being asked or commanded to exit one's vehicle and told to go to a certain place restrained or unrestrained would be IMO "custody"
It is less likely that an individual is in custody where:

Funny, I don't recall saying Miranda applied whenever you talked to a cop. Maybe you can point out where I said that so this part of your post doesn't look like it was written by a nincompoop.

Last edited:
Wait a minute.. You claim I lied about something then you demand I prove that I didn't lie....
HUH?
You made the claim. I am under no obligation to provide case law for you. if you can find case law to support your points, have at it.
I'm not doing your homework for you.

I never demanded any such thing, I simply pointed out that you lied about what SCOTUS said. I then said that you are free to post idiotic comments in an attempt to prove me wrong, but that all you would actually do is prove me right.

Case in point, the idiotic comment you just posted.

A police officer's job is to "violate our rights"?

That is a pretty good summation.

Where is the hassle you see?
The police are acting within the boundaries of law and precedent as well as case law when they ask for a valid license and other required vehicle documents.

Which makes the violation of our rights legal according to the government, but is does not eliminate the violation.

He may ask other questions in the process of "building a case" against the driver. Legal precedent maintains that we as citizens are NOT required to answer those questions.
Questions such as "where are you going?"...."Have you had anything to drink tonight?" "Where are you coming from?" "What are the names of the people you were wioth?"...are outside the boundaries of the law and are quite frankly NONE of the police officer's or the "people's" business. We do not have to answer these questions. Police officers are trained that once they have a motorist stopped, they can begin to profile the person and build a case against them. it is common practice for law enforcement to use deception to encourage a person to make incriminating statements.
This is why legal experts advise people to KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT. In other words don't do the cop's job for them.

Yet you wonder why people say that the job of a cop is to violate our rights.

"Public interest in probative value outweighs the minor intrusiveness of the stop".

Tell that to the guy who was shot for not wearing a seat belt and following the cops orders.

Before you try to argue he was just doing his job, he has been fired and brought up on aggravated assault charges because of the video you just watched, if you watched it.

Impounding a vehicle isn't arresting the person, Judge Dipshit.

No, it's carjacking.

Like it or not, a cop can come up with probable cause to impound your car with a minimum of effort if they really want to.

And cops with that mentality need to be removed from the force (and, ideally, the human race).
Reasonable suspicion( that a crime or criminal act has been or is about to be committed) gives rise to probable cause. The courts have given much latitude to law enforcement in these areas.
However, the rules of evidence have been tipped toward the citizen ( suspect) for quite some time.
For example. A consented search of a vehicle because the police detected an odor of marijuana turns up a sock with blood on it. Meanwhile, there is an Amber Alert for a missing child. The police officer calls his supervisor and authorizes an immediate arrest. The person is taken to jail and the vehicle is impounded.
Is this search legal?

My dash cam is on order...and if I am pulled over, you'd better believe that the first thing I will do when I see the strobes is to turn the camera to point at myself and the driver's window!

The camera is not the issue. It is what YOU do now that you have the camera in front of which you can perform.
If you use the camera as a means of recording contact with the police, that's fine. If it is your intent to antagonize the police each time you are stopped, then you and I have nothing to talk about.
The bottom line is the law permits an officer to demand your license and vehicle paperwork and by signing your license you authorize consent. There is no argument.
Now, you have a choice. You can stop driving and surrender your license.

A police officer's job is to "violate our rights"?

That is a pretty good summation.

Where is the hassle you see?
The police are acting within the boundaries of law and precedent as well as case law when they ask for a valid license and other required vehicle documents.

Which makes the violation of our rights legal according to the government, but is does not eliminate the violation.

He may ask other questions in the process of "building a case" against the driver. Legal precedent maintains that we as citizens are NOT required to answer those questions.
Questions such as "where are you going?"...."Have you had anything to drink tonight?" "Where are you coming from?" "What are the names of the people you were wioth?"...are outside the boundaries of the law and are quite frankly NONE of the police officer's or the "people's" business. We do not have to answer these questions. Police officers are trained that once they have a motorist stopped, they can begin to profile the person and build a case against them. it is common practice for law enforcement to use deception to encourage a person to make incriminating statements.
This is why legal experts advise people to KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT. In other words don't do the cop's job for them.

Yet you wonder why people say that the job of a cop is to violate our rights.
That is not a violation of your rights. It is accepted police procedure.
Did you not read my entire post?
What did I post at the very end? Jesus Christ. When some people get on a crusade they lose their ability to think read and comprehend.

Forum List

Back