🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

1,600-plus Scientists Say Climate "Emergency" Is a Myth

This declaration seems to be the latest iteration of a broader disinformation campaign that for decades has peddled a series of arguments long discredited by the scientific community at large.

What declaration is that ?

That there is no "emergency" ?

What arguments have been discredited ?

You stupid MAGAt Troll. One sees these bogus petitions all the time.​

I could get more than this from Liberty University disagreeing with Evolution.

Fact check: Did 1,200 climate experts sign 'declaration' denying climate emergency?

16/09/2022 -

A document claiming that 'there is no climate emergency' has been circulating on social media.

A climate-denying document, supposedly signed by 1,200 leading scientists and academics, has gone viral on social media.
The "World Climate Declaration" -- which claims that there is "no climate emergency" -- was first shared on 27 June. One Australian Senator shared the document on Facebook claiming that "this is further confirmation that there is no climate emergency".

Other well-known Conspiracy groups have argued that there is no scientific consensus that humans are to blame for global warming because the “Earth's climate has varied since the planet first existed, with naturally occurring cold and warm phases".

A 2021 report by Cornell University found that 99.9% of more than 88,000 climate change studies agree that humans have accelerated the phenomenon, largely due to carbon emissions.

Moreover, the last 15 warmest years on record have occurred since 2005, with the most recent eight years being the warmest, according to NASA.

Investigations show that practically None of the signatories to the "World Climate Declaration" are climate scientists.

The two main Dutch actors behind the declaration are Guus Berkhout, a retired geophysicist who has worked for oil giant Shell, and journalist Marcel Crok. Both have been accused of receiving money from fossil fuel companies to finance their climate-sceptic work. They deny the allegations,

When looking closer at the list of signatories, there are precisely 1,107, including six people who are dead. Less than 1% of the names listed describe themselves as climatologists or climate scientists.

Eight of the signatories are former or current employees of the oil giant Shell, while many other names have links to mining companies.

One of the signatories is Ivar Giaever, a joint winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1973 for work on superconductors. However, he has never published any work on climate science.

According to an independent 2019 count of the declaration's signatories, 21% were engineers, many linked to the fossil fuel industry. Others were lobbyists, and some even worked as fishermen or airline pilots.
[.....]

Fact check: Did 1,200 climate experts sign viral misinformation?

A document claiming that 'there is no climate emergency' has been circulating on social media. #TheCube
www.euronews.com

www.euronews.com
`
1694137403748.png

This declaration seems to be the latest iteration of a broader disinformation campaign that for decades has peddled a series of arguments long discredited by the scientific community at large.

The OP seems to indicate that there is no mention of denial of influence by CO2.

Did I misread something ?

The OP seems to indicate that there is no mention of denial of influence by CO2.

Did I misread something ?

The satellite and balloon data is IN DENIAL of influence of Co2, since they both recorded NO WARMING in the atmosphere despite rising Co2 with high correlation.

Ask him for a photo of a landmark sinking because of ocean "rise..."

The satellite and balloon data is IN DENIAL of influence of Co2, since they both recorded NO WARMING in the atmosphere despite rising Co2 with high correlation.

Which satellite band are you using as a proxy for temperature ... and why is this temperature reading over -225ºC? ... (that's what the egg-heads call 50 K) ...

Which satellite band are you using as a proxy for temperature ... and why is this temperature reading over -225ºC? ... (that's what the egg-heads call 50 K) ...

Can you explain a map of the Arctic yet???

I felt this was the most honest discussion of the issue I have found. Interesting that he sort of blows the whistle, once again, on climate scientists, purposely manipulating the narrative.

Interestly, this Koonin guy has the same beef about the "settled science" on GW as I do. He TRIED to spawn a debate and red/blue team insights and was rebuffed. The almighty (and VERY unscientific narrative) that the "science is settled" is essentially a gag order to AVOID debate at all costs. Last ACTUAL public debate on the topic was about 8 to 10 years ago. And that one ended with the gung-ho "earth is gonna end soon" opinion guys pivoting on their heels and ADMITTING the unspoken fact that most of these activist scientist supporters of CATASTROPHIC GW -- are really population control nuts. Can't let the developing world take the same paths and liberties with comfort and plenty as "we" have. Because there's too many damn people there.

Same sitchiation here at USMB where the ankle-biting Warmers very rarely discuss the topics and just nip at people's heels but show little or no interest in WHY -- for instance -- the essential "climate sensitivity" keeps going downwards. That's the conversion factor from the global warming down-dwelling radiation number (watts per sq meter) from the greenhouse -- into a real temperature value. It varies all over the globe. Isn't a single number except some primitive models and calculations -- but is the ESSENTIAL variable in MODELING of Gwarming.

Specifically, what effects have you seen?

On what basis do you come to that conclusion?

When I asked Google for scholarly articles on urban heat island, it told me that it had found 1,540,000 results which began like this:

Recent challenges in modeling of urban heat island

PA Mirzaei - Sustainable cities and society, 2015 - Elsevier
… The elevated air temperature of a city, urban heat island (UHI), increases the heat and
pollution-related mortality, reduces the habitats’ comfort and elevates the mean and peak energy …
Save Cite Cited by 388 Related articles All 7 versions
[PDF] asu.edu

A review on the generation, determination and mitigation of Urban Heat Island

AM Rizwan, LYC Dennis, LIU Chunho - Journal of environmental sciences, 2008 - Elsevier
… temperature or heat content called Urban Heat Island (UHI) and … Urban Cool Island (UCI)
or Urban Cool Valley (UCV). Higher urban heat is mainly caused due to the anthropogenic heat
Save Cite Cited by 1910 Related articles All 13 versions

Urban heat island

HH Kim - International Journal of Remote Sensing, 1992 - Taylor & Francis
The phenomenon of an urban heat island was investigated by the use of Landsat/Thematic
Mapper data sets collected over the metropolitan area of Washington, DC. By combining the …
Save Cite Cited by 422 Related articles All 8 versions

A systematic review and scientific critique of methodology in modern urban heat island literature

ID Stewart - International Journal of Climatology, 2011 - Wiley Online Library
… of heat island literature … heat island studies. Results of this assessment are discouraging:
the mean quality score of the sample is just 50 percent, and nearly half of all urban heat island
Save Cite Cited by 722 Related articles All 7 versions
[PDF] academia.edu

A study of the urban heat island of Granada

JP Montávez, A Rodríguez… - International Journal of …, 2000 - Wiley Online Library
… In this study we examine the Urban Heat Island (UHI) of … We also compare both rural and
urban temperature records, … distribution of temperature in the urban region and obtain the …
Save Cite Cited by 338 Related articles All 9 versions
[PDF] ametsoc.org

A numerical model of the urban heat island

LO Myrup - Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 1969 - journals.ametsoc.org
… These observations and explanations suggest strongly that the urban heat island is the
result of a complex set of interacting physical processes. In these circumstances any one-…
Save Cite Cited by 432 Related articles All 6 versions
[PDF] sciencedirect.com

Research on urban heat-island effect

L Yang, F Qian, DX Song, KJ Zheng - Procedia engineering, 2016 - Elsevier
Urban heat island (UHI) effect is a kind of heat accumulation phenomenon within urban
area due to urban construction and human activities. It is recognized as the most evident …
Save Cite Cited by 216 Related articles All 3 versions
[PDF] patarnott.com

[PDF] The energetic basis of the urban heat island

TR Oke - Quarterly journal of the royal meteorological society, 1982 - patarnott.com
… In summary, the urban heat island is a thermal anomaly having both horizontal, vertical
and temporal dimensions, which has been observed in virtually all settlements, large and …
Save Cite Cited by 5215 Related articles All 6 versions

Observations of the urban heat island effect in New York City

RD Bornstein - Journal of Applied Meteorology and …, 1968 - journals.ametsoc.org
… over the city. The average intensity of the urban heat island, ie, urban temperature excess, …
On mornings with relatively strong urban elevated inversion layers the heat island extended …
Save Cite Cited by 769 Related articles All 7 versions
[PDF] ubc.ca

Redefining the urban heat island

ID Stewart - 2011 - open.library.ubc.ca
urban and rural zones. The thesis concludes with a conceptual typology of urban heat island
… Landscape representation and the urban-rural dichotomy in empirical urban heat island
Save Cite Cited by 146 Related articles All 5 versions

Approaches to study urban heat island–abilities and limitations

PA Mirzaei, F Haghighat - Building and environment, 2010 - Elsevier
Urban Heat Island (UHI) has significant impacts on the buildings energy consumption
and outdoor air quality (OAQ). Various approaches, including observation and simulation …
Save Cite Cited by 801 Related articles All 12 versions

Modeling and simulation of the Tokyo urban heat island

TS Saitoh, T Shimada, H Hoshi - Atmospheric Environment, 1996 - Elsevier
… In most urban cities, it has become more and more certain … rise in the urban atmosphere
(urban heat island) and air pollution. … computer simulation of the urban heat island in the Tokyo …
Save Cite Cited by 276 Related articles All 8 versions
[PDF] academia.edu

How to make a city climate-proof, addressing the urban heat island effect

L Kleerekoper, M Van Esch, TB Salcedo - Resources, Conservation and …, 2012 - Elsevier
… One of the best known effects of the influence of the urban environment on its climate is the
urban heat island effect (UHI effect). This is the phenomenon that the urban air temperature is …
Save Cite Cited by 717 Related articles All 20 versions

Urban heat islands in China

WC Wang, Z Zeng, TR Karl - Geophysical Research Letters, 1990 - Wiley Online Library
… which could cancel the urban heat island bias, stations in China located in the vicinity of
major cities have relatively large heat islands. The changes in the magnitude of the urban-rural …
Save Cite Cited by 188 Related articles All 6 versions
[PDF] regionalclimateperspectives.com

City size and the urban heat island

TR Oke - Atmospheric Environment (1967), 1973 - Elsevier
… may even be of value in urban planning and weather forecasting. The … urban heat island
intensity (difference between background rural and highest urban temperatures, AT,_,), and city
Save Cite Cited by 2980 Related articles All 8 versions

-Urban Heat Islands

M Roth - Handbook of environmental fluid dynamics, volume two, 2012 - taylorfrancis.com
… The urban heat island (UHI) is a phenomenon whereby urban regions experience warmer
temperatures than their rural, undeveloped surroundings. The UHI is the most obvious …
Save Cite Cited by 133 Related articles
[PDF] academia.edu

Statistical analysis of the Madrid urban heat island

C Yagüe, E Zurita, A Martinez - Atmospheric Environment. Part B. Urban …, 1991 - Elsevier
… The monthly AT~-r data were used to study the variation of the heat island throughout … heat
island
depending on the synoptic situation. Finally, the persistence of the urban heat island
Save Cite Cited by 163 Related articles All 7 versions

The city and urban heat islands: A review of strategies to mitigate adverse effects

EJ Gago, J Roldan, R Pacheco-Torres… - … and sustainable energy …, 2013 - Elsevier
… of the way in which a city is structured. This effect is known as the urban heat island (UHI).
This article provides a review of recent research on the urban heat island as well as of the …
Save Cite Cited by 635 Related articles All 8 versions
[PDF] psu.edu

A remote sensing study of the urban heat island of Houston, Texas

DR Streutker - International Journal of Remote Sensing, 2002 - Taylor & Francis
urban heat island in magnitude and spatial extent without the use of in situ measurements
and to determine whether a correlation exists between heat island … entire urban heat island as …
Save Cite Cited by 637 Related articles All 10 versions
[PDF] smu.edu.sg

Temporal dynamics of the urban heat island of Singapore

WTL Chow, M Roth - … Journal of Climatology: A Journal of the …, 2006 - Wiley Online Library
… The temporal variability of the canopy-level urban heat island (UHI) of Singapore is
examined for different temporal scales on the basis of observations during a 1-year period. …
Save Cite Cited by 490 Related articles All 12 versions

Impact of urban heat island on regional atmospheric pollution

C Sarrat, A Lemonsu, V Masson, D Guédalia - Atmospheric environment, 2006 - Elsevier
… The simulation indicates the formation of an urban heat island (UHI) over Paris which is
stronger at night than during day. The structure of the atmospheric boundary layer is also …
Save Cite Cited by 565 Related articles All 11 versions
[PDF] researchgate.net

The urban heat island: implications for health in a changing environment

C Heaviside, H Macintyre, S Vardoulakis - Current environmental health …, 2017 - Springer
… Attribution of mortality to the urban heat island during heatwaves in the West Midlands,
UK. … Methods to estimate acclimatization to urban heat island effects on heat-and cold-related …
Save Cite Cited by 421 Related articles All 8 versions

Simulations of the London urban heat island

SI Bohnenstengel, S Evans, PA Clark… - Quarterly Journal of …, 2011 - Wiley Online Library
… of the urban heat island (UHI) shown in various studies and demonstrate that the variation
of UHI with time depends strongly on the urban fetch. The UHI at a location downwind of the …
Save Cite Cited by 253 Related articles All 8 versions

Intensity and form of the urban heat island in Barcelona

MC Moreno‐garcia - International Journal of Climatology, 1994 - Wiley Online Library
… The methodology used in this study of an urban heat island was based in part on the popular
method of recording temperature transects along roads by car. The five transects totalled …
Save Cite Cited by 225 Related articles All 5 versions
[PDF] wiley.comFull View

Urban heat island in the subsurface

G Ferguson, AD Woodbury - Geophysical research letters, 2007 - Wiley Online Library
… [1] The urban heat island effect has received significant attention in recent years due to the
possible effect on long-term meteorological records. Recent studies of this phenomenon have …
Save Cite Cited by 198 Related articles All 10 versions

Three decades of urban heat islands and mitigation technologies research

H Akbari, D Kolokotsa - Energy and buildings, 2016 - Elsevier
… Although the urban heat island (UHI) phenomena phenomenon has was been documented
over a century ago, the effect of the urban heat island on urban climate and environment …
Save Cite Cited by 410 Related articles All 4 versions

The warming in GMAST is not calculated for a single day. You are either being foolish or disingenuous here, take your pick.

Great list Crick -- Now how many done in the LAST 5 or 6 years? THOSE are ones you need to read to see how ADVANCED this effect has become. If I ever need a resource librarian -- you're my dude.

Interestly, this Koonin guy has the same beef about the "settled science" on GW as I do. He TRIED to spawn a debate and red/blue team insights and was rebuffed. The almighty (and VERY unscientific narrative) that the "science is settled" is essentially a gag order to AVOID debate at all costs. Last ACTUAL public debate on the topic was about 8 to 10 years ago. And that one ended with the gung-ho "earth is gonna end soon" opinion guys pivoting on their heels and ADMITTING the unspoken fact that most of these activist scientist supporters of CATASTROPHIC GW -- are really population control nuts. Can't let the developing world take the same paths and liberties with comfort and plenty as "we" have. Because there's too many damn people there.

Same sitchiation here at USMB where the ankle-biting Warmers very rarely discuss the topics and just nip at people's heels but show little or no interest in WHY -- for instance -- the essential "climate sensitivity" keeps going downwards. That's the conversion factor from the global warming down-dwelling radiation number (watts per sq meter) from the greenhouse -- into a real temperature value. It varies all over the globe. Isn't a single number except some primitive models and calculations -- but is the ESSENTIAL variable in MODELING of Gwarming.

Great list Crick -- Now how many done in the LAST 5 or 6 years? THOSE are ones you need to read to see how ADVANCED this effect has become. If I ever need a resource librarian -- you're my dude.
Oh yeah, Crick and I are done. He knows, that I know, this is for them, just an article of faith, and it always has been.

I have him down to launching ad hom, name calling and acting like a child.

I believe the debate is a bit more nuanced. . . I mostly agree with you.

This guy was Obama's undersecretary of energy, however, Wiki crucifies him for telling the truth on this topic;

I felt this was the most honest discussion of the issue I have found. Interesting that he sort of blows the whistle, once again, on climate scientists, purposely manipulating the narrative.

Interesting. . . I would have thought, that all these different nations, and all these different scientific organizations, with all their different models, would come up with results for our near coming future, that were near to each other. . .

:auiqs.jpg:

hmmmphf. Some "climate emergency?" :rolleyes:

Hot or Not: Steven Koonin Questions Conventional Climate Science and Methodology| Uncommon Knowledge​

I think I'd like to check out this last book of his. . .

:eusa_think:

Yep. He wanted open debate, much like I want open debate -- but the "science is settled" narrative means the books are closed and that cant happen. Even as critical numbers like the "climate sensitivity" conversion factor from down radiation to temperature at the surface estimates have been CUT wildly from 4.0 in the 1990s -- and are converging to about 1.6 today. MULTIPLE papers on this..

Yep. He wanted open debate, much like I want open debate -- but the "science is settled" narrative means the books are closed and that cant happen. Even as critical numbers like the "climate sensitivity" conversion factor from down radiation to temperature at the surface estimates have been CUT wildly from 4.0 in the 1990s -- and are converging to about 1.6 today. MULTIPLE papers on this..
I have to admit, I am not much of a science guy. Digging into the minutia, rather bores me now. I took the AP physics, and after that. . . no mas. . .

I did a lot of science in HS, but decided to focus on the fine arts, language arts, history, politics, economics and social sciences post primary. I did a lot of philosophy though. What interests me now, is how science and policy mix.

I have had more than enough science education, to know, that what passes as science in the mainstream? Is clearly not.

iu

Science as Falsification​

The following excerpt was originally published in Conjectures and Refutations (1963).

by Karl R. Popper​

" . . . . These considerations led me in the winter of 1919-20 to conclusions which I may now reformulate as follows.
  1. It is easy to obtain confirmations, or verifications, for nearly every theory — if we look for confirmations.
  2. Confirmations should count only if they are the result of risky predictions; that is to say, if, unenlightened by the theory in question, we should have expected an event which was incompatible with the theory — an event which would have refuted the theory.
  3. Every "good" scientific theory is a prohibition: it forbids certain things to happen. The more a theory forbids, the better it is.
  4. A theory which is not refutable by any conceivable event is non-scientific. Irrefutability is not a virtue of a theory (as people often think) but a vice.
  5. Every genuine test of a theory is an attempt to falsify it, or to refute it. Testability is falsifiability; but there are degrees of testability: some theories are more testable, more exposed to refutation, than others; they take, as it were, greater risks.
  6. Confirming evidence should not count except when it is the result of a genuine test of the theory; and this means that it can be presented as a serious but unsuccessful attempt to falsify the theory. (I now speak in such cases of "corroborating evidence.")
  7. Some genuinely testable theories, when found to be false, are still upheld by their admirers — for example by introducing ad hoc some auxiliary assumption, or by reinterpreting the theory ad hoc in such a way that it escapes refutation. Such a procedure is always possible, but it rescues the theory from refutation only at the price of destroying, or at least lowering, its scientific status. (I later described such a rescuing operation as a "conventionalist twist" or a "conventionalist stratagem.")

One can sum up all this by saying that the criterion of the scientific status of a theory is its falsifiability, or refutability, or testability. . . . "

"Karl Popper famously said, "A theory that explains everything explains nothing." So what do you make of the theory that catastrophic manmade CO2-driven "climate change" can account for harsher winters and lighter winters, more snow and less snow, droughts and floods, more hurricanes and less hurricanes, more rain and less rain, more malaria and less malaria, saltier seas and less salty seas, Antarctica ice melting and Antarctic ice gaining and dozens of other contradictions? Popper gave a name to "theories" like this: pseudoscience."

What really chaps my ass though, is the discovery that the IPCC, like the UN, is inherently biased toward certain policies, due to their epistemological PoV, and those who fund them.

For me? Finding out, that the IPCC, does not even consider alternative reasons for climate change, other than anthropomorphically driven causes? That right there, sort of knee caps the discussion from that start. . .

:eusa_think:

Certain scientific leanings, are baked into the cake, much like the old Soviet Union favored certain types of . . . well, "scientific research paradigms," and, unfortunately now, our own government funds certain endeavors.

Hell, when it comes to medical science, if there is not a drug or treatment that will make a profit, I worry our knowledge of biological systems will be hamstrung in this regard.

The entire scientific process, is thus, handicapped, a priori, and necessarily, politicized, and bureaucratized, there is no 'open debate,' the agenda is baked into these forums by those that seem to have a political agenda.

They deny this. . . but is there any doubt that the UN has a political agenda? Seriously?

• Thanks
Reactions: EMH
Specifically, what effects have you seen?

On what basis do you come to that conclusion?

When I asked Google for scholarly articles on urban heat island, it told me that it had found 1,540,000 results which began like this:

Recent challenges in modeling of urban heat island

PA Mirzaei - Sustainable cities and society, 2015 - Elsevier
… The elevated air temperature of a city, urban heat island (UHI), increases the heat and
pollution-related mortality, reduces the habitats’ comfort and elevates the mean and peak energy …
Save Cite Cited by 388 Related articles All 7 versions
[PDF] asu.edu

A review on the generation, determination and mitigation of Urban Heat Island

AM Rizwan, LYC Dennis, LIU Chunho - Journal of environmental sciences, 2008 - Elsevier
… temperature or heat content called Urban Heat Island (UHI) and … Urban Cool Island (UCI)
or Urban Cool Valley (UCV). Higher urban heat is mainly caused due to the anthropogenic heat
Save Cite Cited by 1910 Related articles All 13 versions

Urban heat island

HH Kim - International Journal of Remote Sensing, 1992 - Taylor & Francis
The phenomenon of an urban heat island was investigated by the use of Landsat/Thematic
Mapper data sets collected over the metropolitan area of Washington, DC. By combining the …
Save Cite Cited by 422 Related articles All 8 versions

A systematic review and scientific critique of methodology in modern urban heat island literature

ID Stewart - International Journal of Climatology, 2011 - Wiley Online Library
… of heat island literature … heat island studies. Results of this assessment are discouraging:
the mean quality score of the sample is just 50 percent, and nearly half of all urban heat island
Save Cite Cited by 722 Related articles All 7 versions
[PDF] academia.edu

A study of the urban heat island of Granada

JP Montávez, A Rodríguez… - International Journal of …, 2000 - Wiley Online Library
… In this study we examine the Urban Heat Island (UHI) of … We also compare both rural and
urban temperature records, … distribution of temperature in the urban region and obtain the …
Save Cite Cited by 338 Related articles All 9 versions
[PDF] ametsoc.org

A numerical model of the urban heat island

LO Myrup - Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 1969 - journals.ametsoc.org
… These observations and explanations suggest strongly that the urban heat island is the
result of a complex set of interacting physical processes. In these circumstances any one-…
Save Cite Cited by 432 Related articles All 6 versions
[PDF] sciencedirect.com

Research on urban heat-island effect

L Yang, F Qian, DX Song, KJ Zheng - Procedia engineering, 2016 - Elsevier
Urban heat island (UHI) effect is a kind of heat accumulation phenomenon within urban
area due to urban construction and human activities. It is recognized as the most evident …
Save Cite Cited by 216 Related articles All 3 versions
[PDF] patarnott.com

[PDF] The energetic basis of the urban heat island

TR Oke - Quarterly journal of the royal meteorological society, 1982 - patarnott.com
… In summary, the urban heat island is a thermal anomaly having both horizontal, vertical
and temporal dimensions, which has been observed in virtually all settlements, large and …
Save Cite Cited by 5215 Related articles All 6 versions

Observations of the urban heat island effect in New York City

RD Bornstein - Journal of Applied Meteorology and …, 1968 - journals.ametsoc.org
… over the city. The average intensity of the urban heat island, ie, urban temperature excess, …
On mornings with relatively strong urban elevated inversion layers the heat island extended …
Save Cite Cited by 769 Related articles All 7 versions
[PDF] ubc.ca

Redefining the urban heat island

ID Stewart - 2011 - open.library.ubc.ca
urban and rural zones. The thesis concludes with a conceptual typology of urban heat island
… Landscape representation and the urban-rural dichotomy in empirical urban heat island
Save Cite Cited by 146 Related articles All 5 versions

Approaches to study urban heat island–abilities and limitations

PA Mirzaei, F Haghighat - Building and environment, 2010 - Elsevier
Urban Heat Island (UHI) has significant impacts on the buildings energy consumption
and outdoor air quality (OAQ). Various approaches, including observation and simulation …
Save Cite Cited by 801 Related articles All 12 versions

Modeling and simulation of the Tokyo urban heat island

TS Saitoh, T Shimada, H Hoshi - Atmospheric Environment, 1996 - Elsevier
… In most urban cities, it has become more and more certain … rise in the urban atmosphere
(urban heat island) and air pollution. … computer simulation of the urban heat island in the Tokyo …
Save Cite Cited by 276 Related articles All 8 versions
[PDF] academia.edu

How to make a city climate-proof, addressing the urban heat island effect

L Kleerekoper, M Van Esch, TB Salcedo - Resources, Conservation and …, 2012 - Elsevier
… One of the best known effects of the influence of the urban environment on its climate is the
urban heat island effect (UHI effect). This is the phenomenon that the urban air temperature is …
Save Cite Cited by 717 Related articles All 20 versions

Urban heat islands in China

WC Wang, Z Zeng, TR Karl - Geophysical Research Letters, 1990 - Wiley Online Library
… which could cancel the urban heat island bias, stations in China located in the vicinity of
major cities have relatively large heat islands. The changes in the magnitude of the urban-rural …
Save Cite Cited by 188 Related articles All 6 versions
[PDF] regionalclimateperspectives.com

City size and the urban heat island

TR Oke - Atmospheric Environment (1967), 1973 - Elsevier
… may even be of value in urban planning and weather forecasting. The … urban heat island
intensity (difference between background rural and highest urban temperatures, AT,_,), and city
Save Cite Cited by 2980 Related articles All 8 versions

-Urban Heat Islands

M Roth - Handbook of environmental fluid dynamics, volume two, 2012 - taylorfrancis.com
… The urban heat island (UHI) is a phenomenon whereby urban regions experience warmer
temperatures than their rural, undeveloped surroundings. The UHI is the most obvious …
Save Cite Cited by 133 Related articles
[PDF] academia.edu

Statistical analysis of the Madrid urban heat island

C Yagüe, E Zurita, A Martinez - Atmospheric Environment. Part B. Urban …, 1991 - Elsevier
… The monthly AT~-r data were used to study the variation of the heat island throughout … heat
island
depending on the synoptic situation. Finally, the persistence of the urban heat island
Save Cite Cited by 163 Related articles All 7 versions

The city and urban heat islands: A review of strategies to mitigate adverse effects

EJ Gago, J Roldan, R Pacheco-Torres… - … and sustainable energy …, 2013 - Elsevier
… of the way in which a city is structured. This effect is known as the urban heat island (UHI).
This article provides a review of recent research on the urban heat island as well as of the …
Save Cite Cited by 635 Related articles All 8 versions
[PDF] psu.edu

A remote sensing study of the urban heat island of Houston, Texas

DR Streutker - International Journal of Remote Sensing, 2002 - Taylor & Francis
urban heat island in magnitude and spatial extent without the use of in situ measurements
and to determine whether a correlation exists between heat island … entire urban heat island as …
Save Cite Cited by 637 Related articles All 10 versions
[PDF] smu.edu.sg

Temporal dynamics of the urban heat island of Singapore

WTL Chow, M Roth - … Journal of Climatology: A Journal of the …, 2006 - Wiley Online Library
… The temporal variability of the canopy-level urban heat island (UHI) of Singapore is
examined for different temporal scales on the basis of observations during a 1-year period. …
Save Cite Cited by 490 Related articles All 12 versions

Impact of urban heat island on regional atmospheric pollution

C Sarrat, A Lemonsu, V Masson, D Guédalia - Atmospheric environment, 2006 - Elsevier
… The simulation indicates the formation of an urban heat island (UHI) over Paris which is
stronger at night than during day. The structure of the atmospheric boundary layer is also …
Save Cite Cited by 565 Related articles All 11 versions
[PDF] researchgate.net

The urban heat island: implications for health in a changing environment

C Heaviside, H Macintyre, S Vardoulakis - Current environmental health …, 2017 - Springer
… Attribution of mortality to the urban heat island during heatwaves in the West Midlands,
UK. … Methods to estimate acclimatization to urban heat island effects on heat-and cold-related …
Save Cite Cited by 421 Related articles All 8 versions

Simulations of the London urban heat island

SI Bohnenstengel, S Evans, PA Clark… - Quarterly Journal of …, 2011 - Wiley Online Library
… of the urban heat island (UHI) shown in various studies and demonstrate that the variation
of UHI with time depends strongly on the urban fetch. The UHI at a location downwind of the …
Save Cite Cited by 253 Related articles All 8 versions

Intensity and form of the urban heat island in Barcelona

MC Moreno‐garcia - International Journal of Climatology, 1994 - Wiley Online Library
… The methodology used in this study of an urban heat island was based in part on the popular
method of recording temperature transects along roads by car. The five transects totalled …
Save Cite Cited by 225 Related articles All 5 versions
[PDF] wiley.comFull View

Urban heat island in the subsurface

G Ferguson, AD Woodbury - Geophysical research letters, 2007 - Wiley Online Library
… [1] The urban heat island effect has received significant attention in recent years due to the
possible effect on long-term meteorological records. Recent studies of this phenomenon have …
Save Cite Cited by 198 Related articles All 10 versions

Three decades of urban heat islands and mitigation technologies research

H Akbari, D Kolokotsa - Energy and buildings, 2016 - Elsevier
… Although the urban heat island (UHI) phenomena phenomenon has was been documented
over a century ago, the effect of the urban heat island on urban climate and environment …
Save Cite Cited by 410 Related articles All 4 versions

The warming in GMAST is not calculated for a single day. You are either being foolish or disingenuous here, take your pick.

BTW -- Univ Ala Huntsville - in charge of satellite GW temperatures uses population density as a proxy for UHI effect. It's easy to do and there is valid rationale behind it. While the "NOAA/GISS/Govt" GMAST data uses estimates from sparse land based urban sampling.

As for my observation about yearly VARIANCE in temperature versus the underlying warming -- you totally failed (as usual) to understand. I was talking about DAILY variance at a specific place and date. I was talking about long term averaged VARIANCE on ANY given day over the years. Certainly you understand what variance is --- right? Every day on the calendar SHOULD be the same in the LONG TERM. And that EXPECTED VARIANCE is +/- 6 to 10 times HIGHER than the GMAST is NOW...

Start HERE for instance.

A large majority of climate change studies carried out to date are on changes in mean climate, which have comparatively downplayed variability. In terms of trend analysis or forecast, the scientific output and common knowledge for global warming are much more robust than for changes in temperature variability. Quantification of temperature variability adds another dimension of temporal scale, requiring immense labor and presenting great uncertainty. Regardless, this endeavor is necessary since changes in ambient temperature variabilities could also contribute to current and future human health burden besides changes in mean quantities. Here, we review the current literature on trends of surface air temperature variability defined at a range of timescales, aiming to tease out the welter of evidence and thus improving the scientific recognition of changes in air temperature variability in the context of climate change. The findings of reviewed studies from numerous regions differ substantially over various temporal scales. In general, the ambient temperature variability on short time scales (e.g., diurnal or inter-day) shows a downward trend, while it is increasing on longer time scales (e.g., inter-annual).

And END UP HERE !!!

Here's a map of MONTHLY variability ranges for the entire CON-US.
THIS example is the VARIANCE from "normal" for THAT MONTH. The example below is July 2023. NOTE -- the variances in a LOT of places are about the +/-6 to 10DegC per month THAT I QUOTED FROM MEMORY!!!

Maps for OTHER months (or days) will vary a bit by season and lattitude -- but will will ALWAYS HAVE a variance FAR HIGHER the GW anomaly at the mean.

Temperature--Monthly--Difference-from-average--CONUS--2023-07-00--small.png

IOW Dude. the 0.6 to 1.2DegC change in the MEAN temperature globally is in range of "hardly noticeable to you or a toad or tree. Because the natural EXPECTED variability of surface air temperature on any given day or month is 5 to 12 (say) times greater than the MEAN shift from Global Warming.

People and toads and trees are DYING RIGHT NOW from the natural weather VARIABILITY. -- Probably be in the next century until a creature is stressed more from Global Warming then the temperature VARIABILITY of where they lay their roots.

Important to realize the difference between weather and climate. GW affects the MEAN (and might also increase/decrease variability a bit) and weather largely DRIVES the variance.

You're welcome and I spend the time if people are actually conversing to help dialog and understanding. I appreciate your effort as well.

Last edited:
Double the people living in cities, we double the UHI effect ... especially if we're clear-cutting forests to make room for the cities ...

I don't think researchers are "avoiding" this area, just that the research is done, solutions found ... plant street trees ... the first documented specific acts to reduce the UHI effect was in Spain in 1594 ... the current push started during the Napoleonic Wars as relief from the misery of Europe aflame with war ... (according to Wikipedia) ...

Meteorological data tends to very high standard deviations ... so their averages come with very high margins of error ... it's scientific nonsense to claim 0.7ºF increase (±1.0ºF) ... yet fools think this will cause hypercanes where there's never been hypercanes before ...

THere weren't asphalt jungles in the Napoleonic wars. Or MASSIVE air conditioning units adorning the tops of buildings Or airports with incoming/outgoing traffic every couple minutes.. A few trees can be a micro climate in a large city. Everyone is for that. But you're NOT gonna reverse the UHIsland issue that way. Not with Progressives pushing DENSER LIVING and dissing my suburban estate outside the Nashville heat bubble.

Give it up. You're not willing to do the work and find the satellite data or anything else. But in the case of the sat data -- it's easy. THere are 2 groups recording and processing it. On is Univ Alabama Huntsville and the other is (I forget).

Here's the satellite record for the past couple of decades RIGHT HERE..

www.drroyspencer.com

His monthly sat temperatures are there close to top of page. Dont ignore them. You'll look kinda silly doing it with BOTH sides of the debate. Current satellite warming RATE is about 0.16 DegC per DECADE or -- 1.6 DegC per CENTURY!!! But it's there and and youre wrong to deny it.......,..

Dr Roy Spencer and crew are not activists in labcoats. They do a fantastic job of bringing this work public and Dr. Roy et al have published MANY - what some folks call -- skeptical papers on GWarming,. But like me -- we dont pretend not to SEE the warming data. We just dont buy into CRISIS mode and CATASTROPHIC GW theories. It's a problem. NOT by FAR our nations; or the worlds biggest problem yesterday or today.

You're not willing to do the work and find the satellite data

LOL!!

The original satellite and balloon data has been censored everywhere online except here... the TRUTH.... NO WARMING in the atmosphere despite rising Co2...

"satellite and weather balloon data have actually suggested the opposite, that the atmosphere was cooling."

Gotta love the word "suggested" there. Both were actually flat lines that went up and down a bit.

The FUDGE JOB on both was pathetic.

"Orbit Wobble" was used to fudge the satellites from a flat line to an upward slope, despite the fact that moving the satellite a bit wouldn't change the IR readings at all.

"Shade issues" on the balloons that were constant the whole time would perhaps justify a one time constant "correction" for the whole series, but would not change a flat line into an upward slope, which is what your fraudulent heroes did.

But it's there and and youre wrong to deny it.......,..

LOL!!!

The unfudged satellite and balloon data showed no warming in high correlation. TWC used to have big piece on their site about this, but it was removed.

Co2 went up, satellites and balloons showed no warming in the atmosphere despite rising Co2.

THEORY REJECTED in real science

People and toads and trees are DYING RIGHT NOW from the natural weather VARIABILITY

Misdiagnosing the fires is par for the course. If you believe a 2F (bullshit) "warming" is causing fires to break out, you are lost. Fires are about lack of water, and that is human overconsumption of finite fresh water supply on land.

If Earth was "warming" all else equal, would it have more fires or less??

None of my questions were answered. If your charges had any validity, those answers would have been ready to hand.

Forum List

Back