10 Forgotten Truths

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Some things that used to be considered common knowledge or common sense, but have apparently been forgotten today.
1) Avoid debt as much as possible. The person who loans money has enormous control of your life if they want it. In the past they could put you in prison or slavery for debts, and today they can garnish your wages till the day you die.
2) Love is not sex. Not even close. Many think that because of the influence the pedophiles that run Hollywood have in our media, but sex doesn't necessarily have anything to do with love at all. Love is that person that who stays all night by your side at the hospital though they could go home. Love is that person who comes out in the driving rain at 1 am to help you with your car. Remember that for your own good.
3) Gossips are the scum of the Earth, destroying more lives than the Bubonic Plague.
4) Belief in a Creator is a natural belief based on knowing intuitively that some one is responsible for the natural order we see in the world around us. Strong rational evidence is given by observing that the flow of time cannot be eternal, aka the Infinite Regression Fallacy. Something that exists outside the flow of time must have begun time at some point. This is the Creator, and why atheism is less than 2% of the global population.
5) God forgives when we ask Him to and if we REPENT. Without repentance, our faith is a sham.
6) Learn about life as life presents you opportunities to do so without it being your ass in the trap.
7) Never trust a banker, used car salesman or politician.
8) Never slam on your parents. One day, if you are very lucky, you will have children of your own. And you will eat every one of those words.
9) If someone you know backstabs your friends and spread rumors about them, you can damned well be sure that they do the exact same thing to you. They are worse than politicians.
10) The best source of life long friendships are those who share your blood, no matter what the movies and music may say. There is a reason we have the tale of the Pied Piper.

I'm with you on 2, 6, 8, 9, & 10.

1 - There is good debt and bad debt. Borrowing money to bet on horses is bad, borrowing money to invest in a busness or a place to live is good debt. Old adage: if you owe the bank $10,000 the bank owns you, if you owe the bank $1,000,000,000, you own the bank.

2 - Gossip is harmless so long as it is not intentionally false.

4 & 5 - Just disagree, nuff said

7 - Finding people you can trust is possible, it is work but worthwhile, that goes for every profession.

Well, I wish I could say our younger folks mostly are, but I'm afraid it isn't true any more.

1 - There is good debt and bad debt. Borrowing money to bet on horses is bad, borrowing money to invest in a busness or a place to live is good debt. Old adage: if you owe the bank $10,000 the bank owns you, if you owe the bank $1,000,000,000, you own the bank.

Lol, well, for most of us mortals who cant get a bank to loan them $2mill, avoid the debt instead. A house mortgage is not necessarily a bad thing, though I would avoid that too if the building codes were not designed by Realtors.

Hmm, that assumes that the harm only comes from deliberately lying. Most harm from gossip comes from honestly repeating things one has been told that trace back to the originator who happens to be maliciously lying. On top of that we have things that appear to be harmless but are harmful for unusual circumstances we are unaware of.

It's better to just not do it.

You have a Constitutional right to be wrong, like everyone else that disagrees with me, lol.

7 - Finding people you can trust is possible, it is work but worthwhile, that goes for every profession.

But in dealing with those professions there is no good reason to trust them for a nanosecond. Professional friendships are not what I am talking about; I am talking about the perspective of the borrower, buyer or voter.

Some things that used to be considered common knowledge or common sense, but have apparently been forgotten today.
1) Avoid debt as much as possible. The person who loans money has enormous control of your life if they want it. In the past they could put you in prison or slavery for debts, and today they can garnish your wages till the day you die.
2) Love is not sex. Not even close. Many think that because of the influence the pedophiles that run Hollywood have in our media, but sex doesn't necessarily have anything to do with love at all. Love is that person that who stays all night by your side at the hospital though they could go home. Love is that person who comes out in the driving rain at 1 am to help you with your car. Remember that for your own good.
3) Gossips are the scum of the Earth, destroying more lives than the Bubonic Plague.
4) Belief in a Creator is a natural belief based on knowing intuitively that some one is responsible for the natural order we see in the world around us. Strong rational evidence is given by observing that the flow of time cannot be eternal, aka the Infinite Regression Fallacy. Something that exists outside the flow of time must have begun time at some point. This is the Creator, and why atheism is less than 2% of the global population.
5) God forgives when we ask Him to and if we REPENT. Without repentance, our faith is a sham.
6) Learn about life as life presents you opportunities to do so without it being your ass in the trap.
8) Never slam on your parents. One day, if you are very lucky, you will have children of your own. And you will eat every one of those words.
9) If someone you know backstabs your friends and spread rumors about them, you can damned well be sure that they do the exact same thing to you. They are worse than politicians.
10) The best source of life long friendships are those who share your blood, no matter what the movies and music may say. There is a reason we have the tale of the Pied Piper.

1 - Money is a tool. Used wisely, there is no reason not to borrow it. Like a hammer, it is very useful but letting it control you will just end up with a whacked thumb.
2 - I agree. But that does no make sex for its own sake a bad thing.
3 - Everyone gossips.
4 - You may be right. We certainly are a species which believes in stuff, including atheists. For example, they believe they don't believe in stuff and that takes a lot of blind faith.
5 - If you are right here, I'll take hell. I have to say I have never understood why anyone would see this as anything but horrifying, but to each their own.
6 - Not really sure what you mean by this.
7 - All of those occupations are people. People are just people. Always think the best, never assume they will meet your expectations - regardless of occupation.
8 - Depends upon your parents. I would never slam mine but I have met some parents in deep need of slamming. Procreation does not make someone a good person.
9 - Again, depends upon who they are backstabbing.
10 - If you mean family, I agree.

Hi Jim. I have some thoughts that came to me while reading your thread. First, you gave good examples of Love. Love is a verb. Anyone can spout words but is there any evidence of it? In regards to debt. You are right. Debt is a killer. The word mortgage comes from the word mort - as in mortuary - it means death. The word gage from "grip" so those with a mortgage are in a "death grip". ( by the very term )

On no 3. and no. 7. I put my trust in no man, but God alone. That takes care of it for me. Sometimes the LORD has had me share some deep trial I had to overcome with an individual that in my spirit I am well aware is not able to keep matters to themselves. Yet I know their soul is in peril. In that I feel I have the choice to help them get freed from their own bitterness, anger, whatever it is - or leave them in it because they have the misfortune of not being capable of keeping something to themselves. My feeling is if there is any possibility they can get free of it? I am willing to put myself out there. What is that to me when I know who is full control over what happens in my life. Right? Slanderers / mockers do not realize there is a penalty for using their tongues to attack servants of the LORD. It is pretty severe but let's leave that out. On the matter of repentance I agree with you. Because unless a person feels true penitent sorrow for their actions I cannot believe the Spirit of God drew them at all.

It could indeed be a false conversion. I have visited churches, Jim, where in my spirit I did not detect that anyone was saved although I immediately spotted the satanists who were there ( that is something you cannot avoid knowing when you are moving in the Spirit ) - mostly they are in ministry / leading the prayer meetings in these churches. On message boards they usually hop on the christian music threads / discussions or something where they can "pretend" to be christians or unbelievers searching - trying to gain the trust of some innocent soul - which is why we should pray without ceasing and cover those who have yet to come in - so they do not get harmed by such workers of iniquity. The gift of the discernment of spirits is one of the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit and I believe it is an important gift that the Holy Spirit operates to keep us safe from such deceptions.

Interesting thread, Jim! Thanks!

There is no such thing as good debt unless you are speaking of your indebtedness to the Lord Jesus Christ for shedding his Blood in order to redeem your soul should the Spirit of God draw you. Slander is never harmless as God defines it as murder and those who hate their brothers as "murderers". You cannot repeat a matter without the persmission of the person. That is how it works and that is why you have added "not intentionally false".. you are looking for grounds upon which to exonerate behavior which is clearly condemned in the bible.

People are not to put any trust in the flesh but rather to put their trust completely in the Lord Jesus Christ. When a person trusts God completely he or she will not be concerned about whether they can "trust" an individual because God has everything under his control. So there is nothing to fear. Still Jesus put his trust in no man and neither should we.

There is no such thing as good debt unless you are speaking of your indebtedness to the Lord Jesus Christ for shedding his Blood in order to redeem your soul should the Spirit of God draw you. Slander is never harmless as God defines it as murder and those who hate their brothers as "murderers". You cannot repeat a matter without the persmission of the person. That is how it works and that is why you have added "not intentionally false".. you are looking for grounds upon which to exonerate behavior which is clearly condemned in the bible.

People are not to put any trust in the flesh but rather to put their trust completely in the Lord Jesus Christ. When a person trusts God completely he or she will not be concerned about whether they can "trust" an individual because God has everything under his control. So there is nothing to fear. Still Jesus put his trust in no man and neither should we.

You obviously know little about economics. If I borrowed money to open a factory and it was a success, I'd make money, the bank and its investors would make money, and my employees would have jobs. Sounds like a win/win/win to me.

We are social beings and always put our trust in others. We trust them to stop at red lights and not crash into us, we trust them to not shoot us on the street for no reason, we trust them to sell us food that is safe to eat, etc. You can trust God and have complete faith in Jesus, that is fine, but that doesn't mean you'll have a long or prosperus life, that you'll have children and get to see them grow up. In fact in this world, trusting God means nothing, you'll have to hope there is a next world to collect your benefits.

With ya on avoiding debt. Been debt free all but a couple years of my working life. Before I realized credit cards were bad. :) Trouble is we're conditioned by media to desire things we don't need. We need air, food, water, gravity, and pressure. Everything else is optional. :)

With ya on avoiding debt. Been debt free all but a couple years of my working life. Before I realized credit cards were bad. :) Trouble is we're conditioned by media to desire things we don't need. We need air, food, water, gravity, and pressure. Everything else is optional. :)

The problem is that if one is debt free most of their lives they do not learn how to manage debt nor do they build up a history of dealing with debt in the event they require financing. There is nothing wrong with credit cards so long as they are used with discretion.

And, in my opinion, a Harley is not optional.

Agree with some - they're valid.
Some is sadly paranoid.
There's no such thing as a "god".

Interesting.
Did you write it?

The problem is that if one is debt free most of their lives they do not learn how to manage debt nor do they build up a history of dealing with debt in the event they require financing. There is nothing wrong with credit cards so long as they are used with discretion.

IMO, the only acceptable debt is for real property but my homes are paid for in full. Being in debt means you don't know how to manage YOUR money, as in, the amount of money you actually have rather than an imaginary sum that you wish you had.

Nothing is worth being in debt for.

About credit cards - we have one that we use for everything and I really do mean everything. That way, our expenses can be tracked and there's only one amount to be paid, in full, at the end of the month.

That one card can give you something back in the form of air miles or points and you don't pay interest.

IMO, the only acceptable debt is for real property but my homes are paid for in full. Being in debt means you don't know how to manage YOUR money, as in, the amount of money you actually have rather than an imaginary sum that you wish you had.

About credit cards - we have one that we use for everything and I really do mean everything. That way, our expenses can be tracked and there's only one amount to be paid, in full, at the end of the month.

That one card can give you something back in the form of air miles or points and you don't pay interest.

There are many things worth going into debt for. I always buy new cars and I am not tying my own money up in them when I can tie up the bank's money. My take on your version of managing money is that you are not managing it, just using it.

Of course, it is your money to do with as you please.

There are many things worth going into debt for. I always buy new cars and I am not tying my own money up in them when I can tie up the bank's money. My take on your version of managing money is that you are not managing it, just using it.

I'm not saying I'm an authority but I must be doing something right because, while not rich, I'm well enough off to own several properties, free and clear and travel quite a lot without going into debt. We just came back from 2 weeks in the Caribbean and, though we used a credit card for all of it, we also just paid that bill in full. And, have two surgeries coming up which I will have to pay a portion of.

Keep in mind that I did go into debt for every single property we own or have owned and sold. That doesn't mean you have to stay in debt though.

But no, I wouldn't consider going into debt for a car because it makes the car cost several times what I would have to pay in cash. You may want to consider leasing although, since I'm retired, that doesn't give me any benefit.

Whatever works for you ...

I'm not saying I'm an authority but I must be doing something right because, while not rich, I'm well enough off to own several properties, free and clear and travel quite a lot without going into debt. We just came back from 2 weeks in the Caribbean and, though we used a credit card for all of it, we also just paid that bill in full. And, have two surgeries coming up which I will have to pay a portion of.

Keep in mind that I did go into debt for every single property we own or have owned and sold. That doesn't mean you have to stay in debt though.

But no, I wouldn't consider going into debt for a car because it makes the car cost several times what I would have to pay in cash. You may want to consider leasing although, since I'm retired, that doesn't give me any benefit.

Whatever works for you ...

I was not suggesting what you were doing was wrong. I am just expressing a philosophical difference. Personally, I would never lease a car. Having to pay thousands of dollar with no equity at the end? Instead, I buy a car new and then drive it for quite some time. My current truck I bought in 2008 and will probably keep it at least for another four or five years. The last car I bought for my wife had 0% interest. It is just not true that financing a car increases the cost that much, if at all.

The problem is that people do not use financing as a way to manage money, but instead allow their money to manage them. I am not a proponent of keeping credit card balances, mine are paid off at the end of the month. I was simply disagreeing with your statement that there is no good reason to go into debt. There are many valid reasons for it.

this thread is almost as fruity as you thinking you have the right to fly my flag upside down

this thread is almost as fruity as you thinking you have the right to fly my flag upside down

Well since I do, I guess its not all that fruity, poopy lips.

You obviously know little about economics. If I borrowed money to open a factory and it was a success, I'd make money, the bank and its investors would make money, and my employees would have jobs. Sounds like a win/win/win to me.

We are social beings and always put our trust in others. We trust them to stop at red lights and not crash into us, we trust them to not shoot us on the street for no reason, we trust them to sell us food that is safe to eat, etc. You can trust God and have complete faith in Jesus, that is fine, but that doesn't mean you'll have a long or prosperus life, that you'll have children and get to see them grow up. In fact in this world, trusting God means nothing, you'll have to hope there is a next world to collect your benefits.

You keep your trust in the economy and I will keep my trust in God alone and we shall see which one of us prevails in the end, Alang1216. Fair enough?

I manage debt by avoiding it completely. My way of thinking about it is this: when you're debt, you're no longer in command of your own destiny and have to take whatever job pays off that debt instead of working at something you actually enjoy whether being paid or not.

"Neither a borrower, nor lender be..."
- Hamlet

Forum List

Back