14 y.o. black intrudor shot and killed in Louisiana, white home owner arrested.

it might be on the mythbuster site

It was a flawed episode. It was confirmed that if a bullet is not fired perfectly straight up it can arch over maintaining its spin preventing tumble. A spinning bullet will fall beyond fast enough to sink 1 foot into ballistics gel. That is more than lethal. A human is rarely able to fire straight up enough to prevent lethal bullet drop. It would have to be done on a rig. That means any warning shot will fall at lethal speed.

The episode was not flawd. I have no idea what angle where a bullet fired into the air will maintain enough velocity to remain lethal, but my guess is that it is a lot shallower than you think. I am willing to bet you right now that a bullet fired straight up will still be spinning when it hits the ground. It isn,t the spin that makes it lethal, it is the velocity. At some point even a bullet that is fired straight down will lose enough velocity to no longer be lethal.
Looking

even a bullet that is fired straight down will lose enough velocity to no longer be lethal.

yup

He didn't warn the potential burglar he was armed. He didn't fire a warning shot. Saying freeze doesn't mean a threat of death. That seems part of the game, actually. If you warn someone you are armed or are going to shoot him, he might run away and cause you (not you specifically, but a generic you) to lose the chance of shooting him. It really does appear that most pro-gun people are anxious to kill someone, which, imo, doesn't make 'you' any better than the person you want to kill, i.e., a thug, at least at heart if not yet in action.

Do police warn people that they are armed? If they yell freeze and you move you get shot, the same rules should apply to everyone.

End of discussion.

Typically they say something to the effect of, "Police freeze!". I have to say that the word "Police" tells me that the SOB (no disrespect intended) telling me to "freeze" is armed. I'm gonna freeze.

Immie

Typically, they claim they identified themselves. They also tend to tell people to stop resisting when they are beating on them even though they are unconscious.

As they say in Missouri...Show me.
And I'm not sure how it can be a flawed episode when it actually happened.
They shot straight up and the velocity was nowhere near enough to penetrate ballistic gel to that depth. Not sure how that can be fudged.

The US military says a straight up shot 30.06 falls at 205/mph. German scientist track nearly straight up shot 9mm pistol bullet & it fell at lethal rates.

[youtube]GZDS_2ooqpU[/youtube]

At 300 fps I wouldnt think it would be lethal. Thats paintball speeds.
And again they have been clocked at 120 mph as well.
As I said earlier,our neighbor was hit in the head with a .22 LR while sitting on the back porch. Since she was sitting on a covered porch the round had to have arched in.
All she got was a knot on here head.

There was an episode of Cops once where a guy got shot by a .22 while he was walking down the street and it didn't even break the skin.

Bullet does not tumble when going up. The aerodynamic nature of the bullet takes it to a higher altitude which gives it more potential to accelerate on its way downward. As I said earlier, the terminal velocity is not a constant thing, it depends on the density of the projectile.

If you want to shoot gun in the air and kill someone I cannot stop you but it is a stupid thing to do.

Keep digging, the evidence proves you wrong. A bullet fired straight up will always tumble on the way down. It doesn't matter if you shoot it straight up from a high altitude weather balloon, it will reach terminal velocity and no faster. That is why it is called terminal velocity.

See for yourself.

MythBusters - S04E07 Bullets Fired Up - Watch Free Documentary Online - Discovery Channel, Jamie Hyneman, Adam Savage

You have no understanding whatsoever what terminal velocity is. It is futile to discuss this subject with you any further. On top of that, you do not know how to read.

Good one. I post an actual video of an experiment that shows that a bullet fired straight up returns to the ground slower than it goes up and you claim I can't read.

Now let us take air resistance into the account. It is true, on its way down, the projectile reaches what is called terminal velocity due to steadily increasing friction caused by +g. However, the terminal velocity of the projectile is dependent on the density of the projectile and the aerodynamic nature of its shape. High density coupled with good aerodynamics results in high terminal velocity. Bullets are usually made of lead which is a highly dense metal. Bullets fired from high powered rifles are quite aerodynamic and have high density. As a result they have high terminal velocity. It is not uncommon for bullets to fall down with a speed of 300mph if fired straight up. Now imagine a 7.62mm ammo falling on your head with a speed of 300mph. It can and will kill you. It is dangerous to shoot guns in the air.

A bullet will fall backwards for obvious reasons.
And the bullet wont fall at 300 mph either,and if it did thats only 440 fps. which is not likely to kill you.
A neighbor of mine was sitting on her back porch,a covered porch mind you,and got struck in the head with a spent .22 round. Since the round had to come from the side due to the porch,why didnt it kill her rather then put a small bump on her head?
Oh..the .22 rnd has about a 1300 fps muzzle velocity on the high end. Thats 886 mph,much faster then the 120 mph they actually travel at when falling.

Terminal velocity is based on the density of the projectile. For example a feather will reach terminal velocity much quicker than a steel ball weighing 10kg.

It is not.

For example, a human being falling from an airplane who spreads his arms and legs to increase wind resistance falls at a speed of 54 meters per second. If the same skydiver, wearing the same clothing, pulls his arms and legs in he will fall at a speed of 90 meters per second. Unless you can explain how his density changes while falling you are the person who doesn't know what terminal velocity is.

When I was around 14, my friends and I used to go down to the shopping center in the middle of the night, and use the trampelines that were set up there, for free. It was a short lived fad that people would set up these outdoor businesses. To get to the shopping center, it was a 1 1/2 miles walk if we followed the highway. However, it was only 3/4 mile walk if we went through this particular yard with a hurricane fence and gate, which led to a short cut street. We did it often. It never occurred to me that there are people in the world who would think that it was alright to kill us for doing that. I suppose that they would also think it would have been OK to shoot us, since we were trespasssing on the trampoline owner's busiess property, as well, even though we never did any damage to anything. However, it was a gentler time in a gentler nation, then.

Did you climb over the locked gate at 2 AM? Was it a family residence? If not, I really don't get the point.

No it isn't, it will fall at the same speed either way.

Keep digging, the evidence proves you wrong. A bullet fired straight up will always tumble on the way down. It doesn't matter if you shoot it straight up from a high altitude weather balloon, it will reach terminal velocity and no faster. That is why it is called terminal velocity.

See for yourself.

MythBusters - S04E07 Bullets Fired Up - Watch Free Documentary Online - Discovery Channel, Jamie Hyneman, Adam Savage

You have no understanding whatsoever what terminal velocity is. It is futile to discuss this subject with you any further. On top of that, you do not know how to read.

Good one. I post an actual video of an experiment that shows that a bullet fired straight up returns to the ground slower than it goes up and you claim I can't read.

Yes, you cannot read because that is not the claim I am making.

Nope...do some research.
Some of your examples flat out admit they shot at an angle. In fact this thread is full of the reasons you're wrong. You must have missed em.

Shooting a slug straight up will be no different then dropping it from a helicopter.

Velocity at which the bullet will fall is higher when the gun is shot straight up as opposed to when shot at even a slight inclination.

It is not an automatic thing that they will fall at the same speed.

In the vacuum, it will depend on the height alone.

It will depend on the aerodynamics, height and the density when there is resistance.

Terminal velocity does not come into play in the vacuum that is why a feather will fall with the same velocity as iron 10kg ball when dropped from the same height. It is the height which determines the final velocity.

Terminal velocity comes into play when there is resistance. Each object has potential for different terminal velocity based on its density, aerodynamics and the height it could attain.

Last edited:

Which claim do you want me to prove wrong? Because, so far, everything you have said on the subject is wrong.

Velocity at which the bullet will fall is higher when the gun is shot straight up as opposed to when shot at even a slight inclination.

It is not an automatic thing that they will fall at the same speed.

In the vacuum, it will depend on the height alone.

It will depend on the aerodynamics, height and the density when there is resistance.

Terminal velocity does not come into play in the vacuum that is why a feather will fall with the same velocity as iron 10kg ball when dropped from the same height. It is the height which determines the final velocity.

Terminal velocity comes into play when there is resistance. Each object has potential for different terminal velocity based on its density, aerodynamics and the height it could attain.

Is the gravity going to change? The air density? The surface area of the projectile? If not, why would they fall at a different rate? Newton told us that two objects dropped from the same height will hit the ground at the same time, even if one of them is also going sideways at high speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Who said the gravity is going to change? Gravity is constant and its value is 9.8m/S^2.

How quickly a body reaches its terminal velocity and the value of its terminal velocity when it is travelling through fluid, is dependent on the aerodynamics of the body, density of the body and density of the fluid. Actually, there is one more factor but that will further complicate it for you. My suggestion for you would be to try to understand the law of physics relating to free fall in the vacuum first because it is much simpler.

A feather will reach the terminal velocity much faster than a bullet because density of the bullet is much higher, which means a bullet will continue to accelerate for much longer period of time than a feather. Given the proper density of the falling body and height from which it is falling, it is quite possible that the given body may hit the ground before it reaches the terminal velocity. It all depends on the variables.

When I was around 14, my friends and I used to go down to the shopping center in the middle of the night, and use the trampelines that were set up there, for free. It was a short lived fad that people would set up these outdoor businesses. To get to the shopping center, it was a 1 1/2 miles walk if we followed the highway. However, it was only 3/4 mile walk if we went through this particular yard with a hurricane fence and gate, which led to a short cut street. We did it often. It never occurred to me that there are people in the world who would think that it was alright to kill us for doing that. I suppose that they would also think it would have been OK to shoot us, since we were trespasssing on the trampoline owner's busiess property, as well, even though we never did any damage to anything. However, it was a gentler time in a gentler nation, then.

[MENTION=21954]Sunshine[/MENTION]. Here is a prime example of a loser and his parents who was allowing their child out at night and trespassing. Should he had been killed? I am not talking about this current shoot I mea this guy. Comment on him and his horrible parents. Hell as a kid I once joined up with two black...black!!! Yutes and jumped a fence at a park pool once. I turned out o.k. :)

Which claim do you want me to prove wrong? Because, so far, everything you have said on the subject is wrong.

I think I am.speaking for.at least a few here. WHO GIVES A FUCK!:)

As they say in Missouri...Show me.
And I'm not sure how it can be a flawed episode when it actually happened.
They shot straight up and the velocity was nowhere near enough to penetrate ballistic gel to that depth. Not sure how that can be fudged.

The US military says a straight up shot 30.06 falls at 205/mph. German scientist track nearly straight up shot 9mm pistol bullet & it fell at lethal rates.

[youtube]GZDS_2ooqpU[/youtube]

At 300 fps I wouldnt think it would be lethal. Thats paintball speeds.
And again they have been clocked at 120 mph as well.
As I said earlier,our neighbor was hit in the head with a .22 LR while sitting on the back porch. Since she was sitting on a covered porch the round had to have arched in.
All she got was a knot on here head.

What color was the .22 bullet that hit your neighbor?

[MENTION=21954]Sunshine[/MENTION]. Here is a prime example of a loser and his parents who was allowing their child out at night and trespassing. Should he had been killed? I am not talking about this current shoot I mea this guy. Comment on him and his horrible parents. Hell as a kid I once joined up with two black...black!!! Yutes and jumped a fence at a park pool once. I turned out o.k. :)

This is bullshit.

You know damned good and well the trespass being discussed is trespass in the home, not at the back of some damned lot.

Please, go fuck off.

^ Who said the gravity is going to change? Gravity is constant and its value is 9.8m/S^2.

How quickly a body reaches its terminal velocity and the value of its terminal velocity when it is travelling through fluid, is dependent on the aerodynamics of the body, density of the body and density of the fluid. Actually, there is one more factor but that will further complicate it for you. My suggestion for you would be to try to understand the law of physics relating to free fall in the vacuum first because it is much simpler.

A feather will reach the terminal velocity much faster than a bullet because density of the bullet is much higher, which means a bullet will continue to accelerate for much longer period of time than a feather. Given the proper density of the falling body and height from which it is falling, it is quite possible that the given body may hit the ground before it reaches the terminal velocity. It all depends on the variables.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the density of the body. If it did skydivers would fall at the same speed regardless of their orientation when falling because their density does not change.

This is bullshit.

You know damned good and well the trespass being discussed is trespass in the home, not at the back of some damned lot.

Please, go fuck off.
Wow. Hello Mr. Don't get it guy.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the density of the body. If it did skydivers would fall at the same speed regardless of their orientation when falling because their density does not change.

Yep. It's one of the main reasons that when someone does a tandem jump, they throw out a small drogue chute. Why? Because the weight of 2 bodies falling with the same amount of drag surface will fall faster than a single body in the same configuration. If you jump by yourself? You'll hit terminal velocity somewhere around 120 mph. If you do a tandem jump? Terminal velocity is around 160 to 170 mph. The drogue chute is there to slow you down enough (to 120 mph) so that you don't overstress the parachute and cause it to malfunction.

Had all that explained to me by the skydiver I did a tandem with when I was stationed up in Newport RI.

And.................they Mythbusters showed on one of their shows that if you fall headfirst and streamline yourself, you can catch up with someone who jumped out of the plane before you if they keep the spread eagle stance. They got the idea from seeing the stunt that was done on the movie Point Break.

Forum List

Back