17 yo boy shot by police because he wasn't resisting arrest.

No, I never claimed that two officers would change a person's behavior. NEVER. Now, stop being dishonest. My point is that citizens and cops would be safer from shootings.

Yet you provide no evidence to back that point up.

It's common sense.

Ok tell us. You just got named director of the police academy. How will you make the training "better"?

Oh....remember....your recruits are a diverse cross section of American society.....not 100 very fit 18-22 year old male Marine recruits. It's 100 people of mixed gender and race and backgrounds, ages 21 through mid 40s....with workers comp laws in place in case they get hurt.

Oh....there's also lawyers waiting to sue, the DOJ threatening fines against you if you don't lower standards....AND the media waiting to expose "militarized" training if you get too harsh on them.

Now...please....inform us of this better training?

Well, I never claimed to be an expert, but IMO 6 weeks is certainly not a very long time, and perhaps police academy training time should be extended. At one time, 6 week course may have been sufficient, but not in today's day and age. There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Police Chief Magazine - View Article

b.jpg

asic police recruit training has been an unsettled topic for many years in the United States. Historically, in many states, the issue has been to provide more training for recruits. Yet, in recent times, special interest groups have made their ways into academy curricula, due to the timeliness of their advocacies. Racial profiling, cultural diversity, mental health, and domestic violence are several of these areas. As a result of these training topics and other task-oriented subjects, some recruit training programs exceed 1,000 hours. That would mean that recruits are in a classroom for about half of their first year. This extended training commitment certainly is at odds with the desire of many agencies to deploy new officers expediently. Many agencies are wondering if there is a more efficient way to get their recruits the training they need.

20th-Century Police Training Model

Ever since the U.S. Congress passed the Safe Streets Act of 1968, which provided substantial federal assistance to local law enforcement agencies for training, basic recruit peace officer training has been a significant and ongoing issue across the country. Even before the passage of that act, John Sullivan, in his book Introduction to Police Science, published in 1966, observed,

While a physician may change his diagnosis or prescription, a lawyer may amend his pleadings, and a judge may take days or weeks to render a decision, when a peace officer makes a decision, it frequently must be instantaneous. Therefore, in order to cope with the many complex emergency duties and responsibilities that confront a peace officer in his/her role, the officer cannot depend entirely upon native ability. Instead he or she must be expertly trained to function effectively as an integral part of today’s modern mechanized police force.1

Page18CO.jpg
Almost a decade later, former U.S. attorney general Ramsey Clark also commented on the need for increased police competence by noting, “To be truly professional, police must have high standards of education and personal competence in a wide range of subjects with continuous development and training.”2

In 1973, the National Advisory Commission on Criminal Justice Standards and Goals strongly recommended that every state should require all sworn police employees to complete a minimum of 400 hours of basic training to enable all peace officers to perform their roles effectively.

Even a study prepared by the IACP in 1977 demonstrated that in the mid-1960s, the average police officer in the United States received less than 200 hours of formal training—whereas the 1973 National Advisory Commission reported that physicians received more than 11,000 hours; lawyers, more than 9,000 hours; teachers, more than 7,000 hours; embalmers, more than 5,000 hours; and barbers, more than 4,000 hours.

Yet, ironically, records and research clearly show that as late as 1967, police recruit basic training practices did not even exist for up to 32 percent of the law enforcement agencies within municipalities and counties with populations of greater than 10,000.3 For many agencies, recruit training was almost an afterthought.

For example, in 1975, with a degree in criminal justice administration, Gary Maddox became a police officer. Maddox, now director of the Law Enforcement Training Institute for the University of Missouri–Extension, says it never occurred to him at the time he was hired that it would be a year before he would receive any formal training for the job; then, when he did go to a training academy, it was only 320 hours—eight weeks’ worth. Yet from the time Maddox took his oath, he was expected to make informed, split-second decisions regarding such issues as use of force and constitutional law without a speck of training on which to rely.

By the early 1980s, basic training for peace officers in the United States had finally become mandated in every state. However, this training ranged from as little as 120 hours to as much as 1,000 hours or more, depending on each state’s respective statutes, police agencies, and academy directors. And much of that recruit training was seen as inadequate, because in many instances, the instruction bore little relationship to what was actually expected of peace officers. In the absence of any guidelines that truly related to an analysis of police experiences, instructors and trainers were left with only the formal definition of police authority and other vague, nebulous, and abstract concepts to communicate to peace officer trainees.4

These observations are not meant to discredit or belittle the usually well-intentioned and sincere efforts of police trainers and training administrators to provide job-relevant training at the time. It should be remembered that the role of police in contemporary society has never been clearly defined or universally adopted.
You really are stupid. The article you C&Ped explicitly states that depending on which state the training can be as much as 1000 hours.
The states that only provide 10 hours training are 100% LIBERAL run states.
They allow negro cops too fucking dumb and fat to work at Walmart. It's called affirmative action.

WHAT state requires only 10 hours of training????

SCOTUS Graham v. Connor is the guide, but not the absolute shield some want it to be.

The office rin North Charleston will involved Graham v. Connor and the judge will agree with the prosecution when the latter shows how in this particular instance that SCOTUS Graham v. Connor was not reached in order to shield cops from murder charges.

It's not a "guide". It is absolute law. If a cop can show he had a reasonable fear for his life or another person's life...he can use deadly force. There is the grey area regarding individual cases of whether the threat was deadly or not. But the law is a law.

Countless cases of cops being killed with their own guns is 100% proof that if someone tries to take a cops gun...it's deadly.

Many incidents of a cop being knocked unconcious...and then the suspect taking their gun....shows that if a cop is at risk of being knocked out or choked out....deadly force may be used (Birmingham had one 2 months ago).
Thank you for showing that the law is a GUIDE, because the video of the officer firing eight rounds into the back of the accused clearly demonstrates that no "gray area" existed, that in fact the officer's life was not in danger.

Huh? I wasn't even alive then. Lol.

Then why post about that era?
So, what argument do you have against more police training?

First tell us why the current training isn't adequate and what improvements you believe need to be made.

I guess you didn't bother to read the article. It is comparing the way we used to train officers to how we train them now and things we could do differently.

No, it doesn't address how things are different it addresses how it became mandatory and the length of training time increased. There was no details about the specific training that was received.

You were asked specifically what additional training

Notice how when she starts getting her argument destroyed....she all of a sudden "has to go to work"?

Yes, I work 40 hours a week.
15 months divided into 33000 posts equal how many a day? Ya sure you are "working 40 hours a week". Ya sure.

No, it doesn't address how things are different it addresses how it became mandatory and the length of training time increased. There was no details about the specific training that was received.

You were asked specifically what additional training

Notice how when she starts getting her argument destroyed....she all of a sudden "has to go to work"?

Her argument was destroyed the minute she made it and even after she moved the goalpost.

My argument has been consistent. Police need better training and two police officers per car would help to cut down on these incidents.

What better training do they need in your opinion? You've been asked this before and yet you haven't responded.

So you have zero evidence that two cops in a car and better training, whatever the hell that consists of, would reduce these types of incidents. We are just supposed to take your word for it. A person with zero law enforcement experience. SMH

I already explained that in the beginning of this thread. They need to learn how to de-escalate situations and not escalate them. I think that is an important thing to learn how to do for an officer, and that would take a bit of training.
well how do you train for that? Do you know? Why is the mental institutions can't figure it out and how long have they been treating humans with issues? just admit you're in over your head, we all already know that. you are just repeating yourself and saying nothing. NOTHING.

And BTW, the training today is to defend yourself once you're in a position that is life threatening. See because life threatening is indeterminable and can't be trained fully

What gets me is ChrisL believes she proposed a solution to stop events like the one in the OP. But she obviously doesn't know what a solution is.

A solution is the solving of a problem and she readily admits it will not be 100 percent effective so therefore it is not a solution because it solves nothing. Events such as th eone illustrated in the OP will continue to happen.

My answer is there is no solution when dealing with irrational people.

The officer was doing his job, whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant, he had a job to do. He was attacked, he had literally a split second to react, He relied on his years of service and training to protect himself. Unfortunately it resulted in the death of the young man. Want to blame someone? Blame the young man that attacked the cop.
This weekend on George Stephanopolis they did a story on some inner city kids who were befriended by the cops and shown what it is like when you pull someone over. All the kids had a new found respect and understanding of how scary it is to pull someone over, and then have that person start fighting you or resisting arrest. Put your hands behind your head, get on the ground, do whatever the cops tell you to do.

If you are a little 5 foot woman cop, you should be able to arrest any 6 foot monster size man no problem. If not, get shot.

That's a good point. Should women officers be patrolling alone?
A woman cop, by herself, should be able to cuff and arrest a big man. No one should EVER put their hands on an officer or run. If a 300 lbs man runs from a woman cop, what is she to do? Imagine you are in that position. I'd shoot the fucker. If you run or resist, you might get shot. That's the one thing all these people who were killed by cops have in common. They didn't know how to be arrested.

Don't even walk towards an officer aggressively. Do you talk to a judge aggressively or disrespectfully? No? Then why would a cop be any different?

Her argument was destroyed the minute she made it and even after she moved the goalpost.

My argument has been consistent. Police need better training and two police officers per car would help to cut down on these incidents.

What better training do they need in your opinion? You've been asked this before and yet you haven't responded.

So you have zero evidence that two cops in a car and better training, whatever the hell that consists of, would reduce these types of incidents. We are just supposed to take your word for it. A person with zero law enforcement experience. SMH

I already explained that in the beginning of this thread. They need to learn how to de-escalate situations and not escalate them. I think that is an important thing to learn how to do for an officer, and that would take a bit of training.
well how do you train for that? Do you know? Why is the mental institutions can't figure it out and how long have they been treating humans with issues? just admit you're in over your head, we all already know that. you are just repeating yourself and saying nothing. NOTHING.
Bravo.

The #1 thing that will "cut down" these incidents....which are already statistically EXTREMELY rare....is a massive public campaign to STOP RESISTING ARREST.

Public service announcements and commercials. Just like the "Just Say No" federal drug campaign in the 80s. "Just Comply". Resisting arrest is overwhelmingly the #1 cause of these incidents.

That's not going to work because in most cases they are dealing with people who want to get away.
so do they all try to get away the same way? Do you know how many different ways they can?

Context!

This is a city where the cops are under siege, this is to protect the cops not the citizens.

It helps both, cops and citizens since two officers would be able to more easily restrain a suspect. Do you not understand that? Why not? It's really quite simple concept.

Did you even read the article you posted?

It's not about protecting anyone but the COPS!

Sgt. Lennardo Bailey told the “Eastern Command Staff” [sic’d]:

“I have been to five calls today and three of those five calls for service; I have been challenged to a fight. Some of them I blew off but one of them almost got ugly. I don’t want anybody to say that I did not tell them what is going on. This is no intel this is really what’s going on the street. This is my formal notification. It is about to get ugly.”

Yes I did. You said they couldn't "afford" to (or somebody on the thread said that). Well, apparently they can.
No they can't Cowgirl!
If they could afford to have two LEO's every patrol car they would. They don't b/c they can't!
Get that through your brain! The ONLY time and place there are two LEO's in a patrol car is for officer safety b/c they are patrolling extremely dangerous neighborhoods.
Dear God you're stupid.

That's not true since some communities are doing just that.

where do you supposed they do that? Chicago, New York, inner city neighborhoods? How many state police do you see patrolling the highway are two to a car? Just name one location. That is the OP you know?

Oh, and the officers would also be safer on patrol with immediate backup available for them.

I laid that all out for you. I worked 8 years at Atlanta PD...zone 3. 2 per car is NOT safer. It makes cops FEEL safer...and as a result...some do riskier and more aggressive shit. For every incident that is resolved better....2 per car creates 5 more that escalate and go worse because it enables risky behavior by aggressive officers.

Next police work myth or idea you have that my experience can debunk???

You were never a cop. Stop lying. :D
oh he can't be a cop and you're working? funny stuff these libs, I can't get over the null environment they live in where they think they can just make a statement and it is so. Funny. The OP please, address the OP how do you train a cop to handle an infinite number of probabilities. I'm all eyes to read it.

Oh, and the officers would also be safer on patrol with immediate backup available for them.

I laid that all out for you. I worked 8 years at Atlanta PD...zone 3. 2 per car is NOT safer. It makes cops FEEL safer...and as a result...some do riskier and more aggressive shit. For every incident that is resolved better....2 per car creates 5 more that escalate and go worse because it enables risky behavior by aggressive officers.

I don't believe you. :D

I don't give a shit. But I'll keep debunking your nonsense about cops with my experience.

I hope all cops aren't as angry and emotional as you are. :D
They aren't all 'on the rag' like you seem to be every fucking day of the month.
It's no wonder your third husband went out for a quart of milk and never returned.

Last edited:
I can just imagine how it's going to go with the lawsuit...

When your son got his license, did he sign the document stating he must have his license while driving?
Parents: "I don't know."
Attorney for the PD: Did he sign his name to anything?
Parents: Yes
Attorney for PD: This document is what every newly licensed driver must sign. Would you read the high lighted part?
Parents: "The license must be on the person when he/she is driving."
Attorney for PD: Now let's look at the video where part of the exchange where the PO asked for his license. Video shows PO calmly asking for his drivers license, poi and registration 6 TIMES. Attorney marks on black board each time the kid does not comply. One time he admits he doesn't have it but still does not hand over poi or registration.
Attorney: How many times did the po ask for license, poi, and registration, counting to each mark made when the kid refused to show anything.
Parents: Six times.
Attorney : Did you tell your son not to comply six times but hand over documents on the seventh try from the officer?
Parents : No
Attorney: What did the kid say when he was told to get out of the car? Puts video on kid's statement, "I don't have to.
Parents: He didn't have to get out of the car.
Attorney: Was that correct?
Parents: No answer, mother cries instead..

Kid guilty escalating the situation until he tries to fight a police officer.

What does a police officer have to do when in an altercation with someone who resists arrest, fights back, the kid was warned.

Maybe mom and dad have another teenager they can save from being an asshole when stopped by police. Do as the officer requests and show him your license, poi and registration. If you don't have it, say that. It's not worth a life. At least most lives.

Plaintiff: What is the usual charge for driving without a license on you, remember that the victim was a licensed driver, he simply did not have the document on him.

PD: Uh, it's an infraction that results in a ticket.

Plaintiff: What is the usual punishment?

PD: Uh, a $20 fine

Plaintiff: Not death?

PD: Um no, it's an extremely minor offense.

Plaintiff: So a person convicted of not having their license would not normally be put to death?
first off how do you know the kid was a license driver. he couldn't prove it? second, that is the normal punishment, what you failed to ask in your scenario:

plaintiff: what happens if i strike you

PD: you take your life in your hands.

plaintiff: it's what i thought.

You were never a cop. Stop lying. :D
oh he can't be a cop and you're working? funny stuff these libs, I can't get over the null environment they live in where they think they can just make a statement and it is so. Funny. The OP please, address the OP how do you train a cop to handle an infinite number of probabilities. I'm all eyes to read it.

They'll answer in vagueness.

Like "they should deescalate" and "they should teach never use weapons except a last resort" and shit that's vague, obvious, and ALREADY being taught.

"De-escalation" is the libs new favorite word.

De-escalation is like a dance. Takes 2 to tango. If the suspect refuses to comply....the cop then has 2 choices.

1. Force compliance.
2. Say fuck it and walk away.

That's the cold reality.

The De-escalation came....6 times....as the cop calmly asked for compliance. The brat driver refused to tango. He did not want peaceful compliance with the law.

So then came the choice.

1. FORCE compliance.
2. Walk away.

Now...I can absolutely make an argument for #2. These days....#2 is being chosen A LOT. It's why crime in urban areas is surging. I chose #2 several times on patrol.

However....a lawful and civil society will never function if cops only choose #2. Law is not law without enforcement. And a society with no laws...is anarchy. Which is what most lefties and some extreme right wing radicals want.
that cop was left with no #2, since he would be knowingly be putting an unlicensed driver out on the road possible impacting the public. That isn't his option ever.

Yet you provide no evidence to back that point up.

It's common sense.

Ok tell us. You just got named director of the police academy. How will you make the training "better"?

Oh....remember....your recruits are a diverse cross section of American society.....not 100 very fit 18-22 year old male Marine recruits. It's 100 people of mixed gender and race and backgrounds, ages 21 through mid 40s....with workers comp laws in place in case they get hurt.

Oh....there's also lawyers waiting to sue, the DOJ threatening fines against you if you don't lower standards....AND the media waiting to expose "militarized" training if you get too harsh on them.

Well, I never claimed to be an expert, but IMO 6 weeks is certainly not a very long time, and perhaps police academy training time should be extended. At one time, 6 week course may have been sufficient, but not in today's day and age. There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

b.jpg

asic police recruit training has been an unsettled topic for many years in the United States. Historically, in many states, the issue has been to provide more training for recruits. Yet, in recent times, special interest groups have made their ways into academy curricula, due to the timeliness of their advocacies. Racial profiling, cultural diversity, mental health, and domestic violence are several of these areas. As a result of these training topics and other task-oriented subjects, some recruit training programs exceed 1,000 hours. That would mean that recruits are in a classroom for about half of their first year. This extended training commitment certainly is at odds with the desire of many agencies to deploy new officers expediently. Many agencies are wondering if there is a more efficient way to get their recruits the training they need.

Ever since the U.S. Congress passed the Safe Streets Act of 1968, which provided substantial federal assistance to local law enforcement agencies for training, basic recruit peace officer training has been a significant and ongoing issue across the country. Even before the passage of that act, John Sullivan, in his book Introduction to Police Science, published in 1966, observed,

While a physician may change his diagnosis or prescription, a lawyer may amend his pleadings, and a judge may take days or weeks to render a decision, when a peace officer makes a decision, it frequently must be instantaneous. Therefore, in order to cope with the many complex emergency duties and responsibilities that confront a peace officer in his/her role, the officer cannot depend entirely upon native ability. Instead he or she must be expertly trained to function effectively as an integral part of today’s modern mechanized police force.1

Page18CO.jpg
Almost a decade later, former U.S. attorney general Ramsey Clark also commented on the need for increased police competence by noting, “To be truly professional, police must have high standards of education and personal competence in a wide range of subjects with continuous development and training.”2

In 1973, the National Advisory Commission on Criminal Justice Standards and Goals strongly recommended that every state should require all sworn police employees to complete a minimum of 400 hours of basic training to enable all peace officers to perform their roles effectively.

Even a study prepared by the IACP in 1977 demonstrated that in the mid-1960s, the average police officer in the United States received less than 200 hours of formal training—whereas the 1973 National Advisory Commission reported that physicians received more than 11,000 hours; lawyers, more than 9,000 hours; teachers, more than 7,000 hours; embalmers, more than 5,000 hours; and barbers, more than 4,000 hours.

Yet, ironically, records and research clearly show that as late as 1967, police recruit basic training practices did not even exist for up to 32 percent of the law enforcement agencies within municipalities and counties with populations of greater than 10,000.3 For many agencies, recruit training was almost an afterthought.

For example, in 1975, with a degree in criminal justice administration, Gary Maddox became a police officer. Maddox, now director of the Law Enforcement Training Institute for the University of Missouri–Extension, says it never occurred to him at the time he was hired that it would be a year before he would receive any formal training for the job; then, when he did go to a training academy, it was only 320 hours—eight weeks’ worth. Yet from the time Maddox took his oath, he was expected to make informed, split-second decisions regarding such issues as use of force and constitutional law without a speck of training on which to rely.

By the early 1980s, basic training for peace officers in the United States had finally become mandated in every state. However, this training ranged from as little as 120 hours to as much as 1,000 hours or more, depending on each state’s respective statutes, police agencies, and academy directors. And much of that recruit training was seen as inadequate, because in many instances, the instruction bore little relationship to what was actually expected of peace officers. In the absence of any guidelines that truly related to an analysis of police experiences, instructors and trainers were left with only the formal definition of police authority and other vague, nebulous, and abstract concepts to communicate to peace officer trainees.4

These observations are not meant to discredit or belittle the usually well-intentioned and sincere efforts of police trainers and training administrators to provide job-relevant training at the time. It should be remembered that the role of police in contemporary society has never been clearly defined or universally adopted.
You really are stupid. The article you C&Ped explicitly states that depending on which state the training can be as much as 1000 hours.
They allow negro cops too fucking dumb and fat to work at Walmart. It's called affirmative action.

It should have read 120 hours. That's the number our resident 'Cotton Pony Rider' claims is the number of hours cops are being trained. 'Her own C&P states some states require up to 1000 hours of training.
In predominantly negro counties the training is 120 hours. The trainers know the 'AA' action cops are fucking sleeping through the training anyway so what's the point?

It's common sense.

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

It should have read 120 hours. That's the number our resident 'Cotton Pony Rider' claims is the number of hours cops are being trained. 'Her own C&P states some states require up to 1000 hours of training.
In predominantly negro counties the training is 120 hours. The trainers know the 'AA' action cops are fucking sleeping through the training anyway so what's the point?

So 3 weeks of training and they're on the road? Where is this? Thats absurdly irresponsible. But then again...liberals would do it in the name of diversity.

Forum List

Back