2 year old taken by alligator at Disney

I feel sorry for the little boy.

But I've been to Disney World, they have signs EVERYWHERE

stupid parents.

Signs are not enough.

Barbed wire is not enough.

Chain link fencing is insufficient.

To satisfy hungry lawyers there's have to be barbed wire atop an electrified chain link fence festooned with signs in at least 47 languages with pictographs. But then they'd get their coins by point out the neglect to post in that one critical 48th language and provide audio warnings in as many languages. But best of all would be somebody being killed by challenging the signs and sticking to the fence like a bug to a windshield.

How about we just build a wall? Around lawyers!

stupid parents.

The signs say "No Swimming" which is an entirely different message than "Stay away from water due to wildlife". The toddler wasn't swimming, he was standing just inside the edge of the water. I can't pile on the parents on this one. Not everyone understands Florida wildlife and no doubt when your on Disney property there's a false sense of security around the water.

stupid parents.

The signs say "No Swimming" which is an entirely different message than "Stay away from water due to wildlife". The toddler wasn't swimming, he was standing just inside the edge of the water. I can't pile on the parents on this one. Not everyone understands Florida wildlife and no doubt when your on Disney property there's a false sense of security around the water.
Why? Is Disney really able to suspend reality in the adult mind?

stupid parents.

The reality is it's unrealistic to expect everyone flying into Orlando to visit Disney World be familiar with the local wildlife. Creating beaches with chairs next to a lagoon with boats going by, light shows in the water, movies and of course a great view of the Magic Kingdom is enough to lull anyone into a false sense of security. I just can't put that much blame on the parents. I think Disney needs to educate people better while on their property. Last time I was there the boat operator for our hotel told us Disney hires contractors to locate and remove alligators from the lagoon and surrounding property. So they are clearly aware they are present. Why not just post a sign that says so instead of "No Swimming"?

The amount of insensitivity from people on the internet is stunning. I was reading an article on this last night the comments were horrifying. I wonder if it's just a small subset of idiots that do this or is this really our society?
It really is our society. Rejecting a basic moral foundation, by rejecting religion as a whole, leads to self-centered, narcissistic, irreverent behaviors as the rule. We can either wise up now and change that trend. Or we can go with the push from the New Church of Atheists (dogmatically adhering to complete rejection of morality, evangelizing that to the masses and punishing heretics within & "infidels" (those with a moral mooring) outside their ranks).

This gator attack was predictable and terrible. Just like the night club. The bait was too irresistible for the practiced predator. And if you go near the swamp's edge in the South, splashing around with your 2 year old in the shallows near the bank, you are tempting a terrible fate. Word to the wise. And, my sympathies to the parents of that child. My God.

False equivalency. You're comparing a killer with a gun to an alligator, an animal in the wild? Oh wait I guess you really don't understand the concept of the human mind and will as opposed to instinct

This man-made lake is built inside a man-made park. This family was not wandering around in a swamp in the Everglades. Disney is facing a lawsuit of unimaginable proportions since they allow wild carnivorous animals to mingle with their guests.

I agree Disney is facing a lawsuit. But if you've ever stayed on Disney property (I do several times a year) the "man-made lake" you're referring to is obviously set in nature with easy access by any animal in the area. Disney property is not fenced off but rather sits in the middle of the wilderness. I don't blame the family as not everyone understands Florida wildlife, and like I said Disney bears some of the responsibility for not posting better signs and for making the lake so accessible. But there is absolutely no way for Disney to keep these creatures off their property short of full out hunting and extinction. It's just a horrible situation all around. I stood on that very beach not to long ago with my toddler.

What Disney will do is close those beaches to their guests because no one can read or follow directions. If I saw a sign that said no swimming I would not allow my toddler in the water.
Swimming and wading are not the same thing. They've made artificial beaches and put beach chairs on the edge of a lake that has alligators. That is damn retarded.

stupid parents.

The reality is it's unrealistic to expect everyone flying into Orlando to visit Disney World be familiar with the local wildlife. Creating beaches with chairs next to a lagoon with boats going by, light shows in the water, movies and of course a great view of the Magic Kingdom is enough to lull anyone into a false sense of security. I just can't put that much blame on the parents. I think Disney needs to educate people better while on their property. Last time I was there the boat operator for our hotel told us Disney hires contractors to locate and remove alligators from the lagoon and surrounding property. So they are clearly aware they are present. Why not just post a sign that says so instead of "No Swimming"?
Again, if a sign says no swimming I would not be in the water nor would my baby. What Disney will do now is remove access to this and all waterfront beaches. Course you could meet an alligator on the golf course. Should we sue them over that too?

Should Disney be required to post signs that there may be snakes coyotes, and spiders on it's property?

stupid parents.

Again, if a sign says no swimming I would not be in the water nor would my baby. What Disney will do now is remove access to this and all waterfront beaches. Course you could meet an alligator on the golf course. Should we sue them over that too?
If it eats a two year old, sure. Not that two year olds hang out on golf courses.

stupid parents.

If it eats a two year old, sure. Not that two year olds hang out on golf courses.
Don't you live in Fla? Do you have aa sign in your front yard?

stupid parents.

My 2 year old hangs out on golf courses all the time. One golf course in particular has signs up everywhere "beware of rattlesnakes, do NOT get in the rough" it's one of the few courses where if you hit the ball out of the fairway you don't even attempt to recover it, you just drop a shot and move on.

We don't play around the rough and then act confused when a snake bites.

First, some mad man gunned down pop singer Christina Grimmie. Then, that Islamic attacker did his jihad at the nightclub, producing the deadliest attack on American soil since 9/11.

Now, an alligator gobbled up a boy at a Disney World hotel.

Alligator drags child in lake at Disney resort, deputies say
According to this write up here, there were "No Swimming" signs where the boy was and yet he was in the water any way. If them signs were really there, that is all that I need to know.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. What do you think is going to happen should you ignore whatever warning has been out there for you to see??? What???

Well, here is the facts. Florida has gators lots of them and just because you are in Disney you are not away from gators. Gators don't care about Disney.

Or golf courses.

It is very saddening, but damn when there is a sign that says not to do something, and you do it anyway... what do you expect?

Now I'm off to stick a knife in a toaster.

Don't you live in Fla? Do you have aa sign in your front yard?
Nope, I don't have a beach with beach chairs overlooking a lake with alligators. If I did and a kid got eaten I'd be in deep shit for having what they call an attractive nuisance unless it was posted and fenced off from the public.

There are no swimming signs. You are in Florida where we have tons of gators...what were you thinking? Crappy parenting. It might sound mean and not PC to say, but this is 100% on the parents, and I feel no sympathy for them since they got their two-year child killed.

Wise not to expect dogs to read-and-heed....

images.jpg

Now if we could just make parents a little more skookum than dogs.....

Forum List

Back