2 year old taken by alligator at Disney

The mother was there too, they were wading in the lagoon, there were signs up not to,. They're dredging the lagoon looking for him.

Wow. Somehow this thread ended up in current events after Sarah posted it in the flame zone.

What a nightmare, I don't know how the parents will live with it. The people were from the midwest and probably weren't thinking "gator" and the locals probably take the knowledge for granted.

The amount of insensitivity from people on the internet is stunning. I was reading an article on this last night the comments were horrifying. I wonder if it's just a small subset of idiots that do this or is this really our society?
The internet is comprised of mostly societal rejects with a light sprinkling of sane users. Just look at this forum.

Personally I think they do need some info for tourists, even mentioning when mating season is and how they are more aggressive during that time, as well as a low rope barrier around the lagoon to stop you from entering the water.
What a nightmare, I don't know how the parents will live with it. The people were from the midwest and probably weren't thinking "gator" and the locals probably take the knowledge for granted.

Last edited:
IMO I think Disney has some responsibility in this. They can't expect everyone visiting their resorts to understand the Florida wildlife. When you're visiting Mickey Mouse the last thing on your mind is gators. You're so excited at being in Disney that you're not watching the water. I know the signs say no swimming. But standing in ankle deep water technically isn't swimming. The signs need to be clear to say away from the water. But even better, Disney resorts need to stop making beach areas for tourists to walk and lay on. It's entirely misleading.

The amount of insensitivity from people on the internet is stunning. I was reading an article on this last night the comments were horrifying. I wonder if it's just a small subset of idiots that do this or is this really our society?
It really is our society. Rejecting a basic moral foundation, by rejecting religion as a whole, leads to self-centered, narcissistic, irreverent behaviors as the rule. We can either wise up now and change that trend. Or we can go with the push from the New Church of Atheists (dogmatically adhering to complete rejection of morality, evangelizing that to the masses and punishing heretics within & "infidels" (those with a moral mooring) outside their ranks).

This gator attack was predictable and terrible. Just like the night club. The bait was too irresistible for the practiced predator. And if you go near the swamp's edge in the South, splashing around with your 2 year old in the shallows near the bank, you are tempting a terrible fate. Word to the wise. And, my sympathies to the parents of that child. My God.

In addition, I also think a low rope draped around the lagoon to deter you from getting too close would also help.
IMO I think Disney has some responsibility in this. They can't expect everyone visiting their resorts to understand the Florida wildlife. When you're visiting Mickey Mouse the last thing on your mind is gators. You're so excited at being in Disney that you're not watching the water. I know the signs say no swimming. But standing in ankle deep water technically isn't swimming. The signs need to be clear to say away from the water. But even better, Disney resorts need to stop making beach areas for tourists to walk and lay on. It's entirely misleading.

Terrible tragedy. The loss is horrible. Please, if you ever visit Florida be aware that we have gators just as Australia does. The Disney lagoon was man made but gators can walk from one body of water to another and they can even climb chain link fences. I feel so badly for this family.

You can bet that the magical kingdom is full of magical lawyers right now, Disney's lawyers. This is going to be one hell of a law suit. I think it is also safe to say that there are plaintiff trial attorneys doing everything they can to get a hold of that family right now, too

I lived on a lake in central Florida for several years. We had an alligator that ate the ducks and got a hold of a few cats and dogs. So of course we did no swimming nor wading. One resident became concerned and called the game warden. He came out and said if there had been no attacks on humans yet and we had no consistent sightings of the alligator, that he was going to just let it go as is. He said that if he removed our alligator it would only be a matter of time before another one would come in and claim the space. And that the new one could be very aggressive towards humans compared to our current beast.

But this man-made lake is built for the tourists at Disney, you would think they would not allow alligators to inhabit it!

Last edited:
It really is our society. Rejecting a basic moral foundation, by rejecting religion as a whole, leads to self-centered, narcissistic, irreverent behaviors as the rule. We can either wise up now and change that trend. Or we can go with the push from the New Church of Atheists (dogmatically adhering to complete rejection of morality, evangelizing that to the masses and punishing heretics within & "infidels" (those with a moral mooring) outside their ranks).

This gator attack was predictable and terrible. Just like the night club. The bait was too irresistible for the practiced predator. And if you go near the swamp's edge in the South, splashing around with your 2 year old in the shallows near the bank, you are tempting a terrible fate. Word to the wise. And, my sympathies to the parents of that child. My God.

False equivalency. You're comparing a killer with a gun to an alligator, an animal in the wild? Oh wait I guess you really don't understand the concept of the human mind and will as opposed to instinct

This man-made lake is built inside a man-made park. This family was not wandering around in a swamp in the Everglades. Disney is facing a lawsuit of unimaginable proportions since they allow wild carnivorous animals to mingle with their guests.

You can bet that the magical kingdom is full of magical lawyers right now, Disney's lawyers. This is going to be one hell of a law suit. I think it is also safe to say that there are plaintiff trial attorneys doing everything they can to get a hold of that family right now, too

I lived on a lake in central Florida for several years. We had an alligator that ate the ducks and got a hold of a few cats and dogs. So of course we did no swimming nor wading. One resident became concerned and called the game warden. He came out and said if there had been no attacks on humans yet and we had no consistent sightings of the alligator, that he was going to just let it go as is. He said that if he removed our alligator it would only be a matter of time before another one would come in and claim the space. And that the new one could be very aggressive towards humans compared to our current beast.

But this man-made lake is built for the tourists at Disney, you would think they would not allow alligators to inhabit it!
Do we know the race of the child?

False equivalency. You're comparing a killer with a gun to an alligator, an animal in the wild? Oh wait I guess you really don't understand the concept of the human mind and will as opposed to instinct

This man-made lake is built inside a man-made park. This family was not wandering around in a swamp in the Everglades. Disney is facing a lawsuit of unimaginable proportions since they allow wild carnivorous animals to mingle with their guests.
Oh brother. Allow? Yes, they hand out permits. Dumb,

I agree Disney is facing a lawsuit. But if you've ever stayed on Disney property (I do several times a year) the "man-made lake" you're referring to is obviously set in nature with easy access by any animal in the area. Disney property is not fenced off but rather sits in the middle of the wilderness. I don't blame the family as not everyone understands Florida wildlife, and like I said Disney bears some of the responsibility for not posting better signs and for making the lake so accessible. But there is absolutely no way for Disney to keep these creatures off their property short of full out hunting and extinction. But I'll admit when at Disney you do get a false sense of security around the water. It's just a horrible situation all around. I stood on that very beach not to long ago with my toddler.

I agree Disney is facing a lawsuit. But if you've ever stayed on Disney property (I do several times a year) the "man-made lake" you're referring to is obviously set in nature with easy access by any animal in the area. Disney property is not fenced off but rather sits in the middle of the wilderness. I don't blame the family as not everyone understands Florida wildlife, and like I said Disney bears some of the responsibility for not posting better signs and for making the lake so accessible. But there is absolutely no way for Disney to keep these creatures off their property short of full out hunting and extinction. It's just a horrible situation all around. I stood on that very beach not to long ago with my toddler.

What Disney will do is close those beaches to their guests because no one can read or follow directions. If I saw a sign that said no swimming I would not allow my toddler in the water.

Forum List

Back