49-State Analysis: Obamacare To Increase Individual-Market Premiums By Average Of 41%

Manhattan Institute for Policy Research - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Manhattan Institute received over $31 million in grants from 1985 to 2012, from foundations such as the Koch Family Foundations, the John M. Olin Foundation, the Bradley Foundation, the Scaife Foundations, and the Smith Richardson Foundation.[13] The Manhattan Institute does not disclose its corporate funding, but the Capital Research Center listed its contributors as Bristol-Myers Squibb, ExxonMobil, Chase Manhattan, Cigna, Sprint Nextel, Reliant Energy, Lincoln Financial Group Foundation, and Merrill Lynch. Throughout the 1990s the Tobacco industry was a major funding source for the institute.

So much for the claim that higher costs for some are balanced out by lower costs for others. We're all getting screwed, folks.

49-State Analysis: Obamacare To Increase Individual-Market Premiums By Average Of 41% - Forbes

One of the fundamental flaws of the Affordable Care Act is that, despite its name, it makes health insurance more expensive. Today, the Manhattan Institute released the most comprehensive analysis yet conducted of premiums under Obamacare for people who shop for coverage on their own. Here’s what we learned. In the average state, Obamacare will increase underlying premiums by 41 percent. As we have long expected, the steepest hikes will be imposed on the healthy, the young, and the male. And Obamacare’s taxpayer-funded subsidies will primarily benefit those nearing retirement—people who, unlike the young, have had their whole lives to save for their health-care needs.

Rate-map-3-27-40-67.png

Statistics being manipulated?
:eek:

by: Manhattan Institute
The Institute's Center for Medical Progress opposes allowing the federal government to negotiate prices in the Medicare Part D prescription drug program [10] and believes that drug price negotiating has adverse effects in the Veterans Administration.

Manhattan Institute for Policy Research - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Manhattan Institute for Policy Research (renamed in 1981 from the International Center for Economic Policy Studies) is a libertarian American think tank established in New York City in 1978 by Antony Fisher and William J. Casey. The organization describes its mission as to "develop and disseminate new ideas that foster greater economic choice and individual responsibility". Its message is communicated through books, articles, interviews, speeches, op-eds, and through the institute's quarterly publication City Journal.

William J. Casey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
William Joseph Casey (March 13, 1913 – May 6, 1987) was a Republican politician in the United States who was the Director of Central Intelligence from 1981 to 1987. In this capacity he oversaw the entire United States Intelligence Community and personally directed the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

Antony Fisher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sir Antony Fisher (28 June 1915 – 8 July 1988) was a background player in the global rise of libertarian think-tanks during the second half of the twentieth century, founding the Institute of Economic Affairs and the Atlas Economic Research Foundation. Through Atlas, he helped establish up to 150 other think-tanks worldwide.

Uh oh! Study is now highly suspect and most likely shit-on-a-shingle: Manhattan Institute for Policy Research - SourceWatch

The Manhattan Institute (MI) is a right-wing 501(c)(3) non-profit think tank founded in 1978 by William J. Casey, who later became President Ronald Reagan's CIA director.[1] It is an associate member of the State Policy Network.

According to the Manhattan Institute, it is "focused on promoting free-market principles" and has a mission to "develop and disseminate new ideas that foster greater economic choice and individual responsibility."[2]

"The Manhattan Institute concerns itself with such things as 'welfare reform' (dismantling social programs), 'faith-based initiatives' (blurring the distinction between church and state), and 'education reform' (destroying public education)," Kurt Nimmo wrote October 10, 2002, in CounterPunch

Coverage can't have gone down relative to premiums because a minimum 85% medical loss ratio requirement is part of the ACA. Insurance companies can't overcharge, by law.

If your deductible goes from $2000 to $10,000, your coverage has declined.

You don't get it.

Companies now have to pay out 85% of their collected premiums in actual medical benefits or they have to refund the difference to their customers. This is already in effect and some people got refund checks last year.

With that regulation in place, insurance companies CAN"T raise premiums while offering lower coverage...

...it's mathematically impossible without running into violations of the 85% rule above.

Companies now have to pay out 85% of their collected premiums in actual medical benefits or they have to refund the difference to their customers. This is already in effect and some people got refund checks last year.

80% kid.

MOST of the plans are HD plans, no coverage except wellness before you reach that deductible....MANY of the prior plans had PD an Dr. co-pays orpior to deductible.

Sorry.

Carb your post about Healthmarkets was spot on, Blackstone bought a legitimate company and turned them into that shit company....they ripped off millions.

And what are the subsidies for the increase in 41% of the increased premiums?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ answer the question, reactionaries on the far right :lol:

I can only answer for my self and my situation, but if my results are any indication, I'm paying a lot more, my subsidy is low. My premiums have over doubled and my subsidy is low. There are two of us.

Just my experience.

This reminds me of all those deficit battles, end of the world scenarios...thing is we always work it out in the end.

Just lay back and allow the adults to handle this

Prez Cracka should take your advice, he is the child in the equation.

And what are the subsidies for the increase in 41% of the increased premiums?

I can only answer for my self and my situation, but if my results are any indication, I'm paying a lot more, my subsidy is low. My premiums have over doubled and my subsidy is low. There are two of us.

Just my experience.

Were covered before on all of the minimum requirements required now?

Just my experience.

You assume everyone NEEDS those bullshit "minimum" requirements......you poor "progressive" child.

And, you have the recent college grads who have no job and are forced into this. Yeah, this is the ultimate screw job.

You don't know about the low/no salary cutoff and free medicaid LOL...what about them being on parents till 26...zzzzz

TRY TO REMEMBER, BRAINWASHED HATER DUPES- This is about 4 percent of the country- and where insurers and Pubs are running a gd scam...lol. Poor braindeaddupes...

Last edited:

Just my experience.

You assume everyone NEEDS those bullshit "minimum" requirements......you poor "progressive" child.

Yeah, just the other day I was thinking I needed a sex change operation.

Coverage can't have gone down relative to premiums because a minimum 85% medical loss ratio requirement is part of the ACA. Insurance companies can't overcharge, by law.

If your deductible goes from $2000 to $10,000, your coverage has declined.

You don't get it.

Since only a few people collected, that means most companies met the requirement at a far lower premium and lower deductible. You haven't presented anything convincing.

With that regulation in place, insurance companies CAN"T raise premiums while offering lower coverage...

...it's mathematically impossible without running into violations of the 85% rule above

Sure they can. You're forgetting all the expensive new requirements being imposed on them, like having to accept people with pre-existing conditions, maternity coverage, birth control, abortion, sex change operations and mental health treatment.

Now people are discovering what all that stuff costs, and they don't like it. When Obama lied to them and told them they could keep their current plans, they were thinking they weren't going to have to pay for all that bullshit.

Last edited:

Just my experience.

I have coverage for breast exams, pregnancy, that I didn't have before. Not that I will ever use, the pregnancy we will never use. A lot of extras I don't want.

It's like a car, I don't need a lot of extras, it's a waste of money and it costs more.

I had catastrophic, with a $5,000 deductible. I liked it, it was good coverage for what I needed.

This is not a good plan for my needs.

And, you have the recent college grads who have no job and are forced into this. Yeah, this is the ultimate screw job.

A recent unemployed college grad can

1. stay on their parents' plan if applicable,

2. go on Medicaid in many cases,

3. satisfy the ACA mandate with the under 30 catastrophic policy,

4. or, to use the popular rightwing admonition, 'get a fucking job, slacker!!!'

you realize that staying on mommy and daddys plan means they don't need to buy ins.....right? or p[ay the 'penalty'..?:lol:

Just my experience.

wtf does that have to do with it?

A recent unemployed college grad can

1. stay on their parents' plan if applicable,

2. go on Medicaid in many cases,

3. satisfy the ACA mandate with the under 30 catastrophic policy,

4. or, to use the popular rightwing admonition, 'get a fucking job, slacker!!!'

you realize that staying on mommy and daddys plan means they don't need to buy ins.....right? or p[ay the 'penalty'..?:lol:

That's what I was telling the other poster.

Forum List

Back