🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

50 years later: has government dependency helped or hurt blacks?

Do you even understand what the hell you're talking about?
The issue is that the black community is over run with poverty, dependence, drug use and violence. This has been the result of 40 years of Democratic policies that only increase the factors that cause all those conditions. Some of us want to see the black community do better by changing or eliminating those prorgams. We believe blacks can compete with whites on equal basis for education and jobs and opinions to the contrary are racist and unproductive.
The facts are the facts. Blacks are grossly over represented in gov't welfare rolls of whatever type, prison populations, and murders both as victim and perp. That has to stop. The first step is figuring out what the problem is. It isnt genetic. Blacks from the Caribbean who come here do far better than American born blacks. It is cultural. And we must change that culture.
And as bad as it sounds? THEY have no clue how fortunate they are to be born here...and change their culture. Instead? We get excuses...and anger. It sits right in front of them...and ALL they do and their leaders do is WHINE.

*I* have ZERO sympathy.
Who is "they"? What "culture"? All I hear is a bunch of people from all groups "whine" about each other. Judging from your post, you seem to be WHINING yourself.

First of all? Are YOU able to read? *I* highlighted what I was addressing...and second? NO whining here junior. I observe. And IF you wanna press the point? Please continue. I will stomp upon you as I would a snake.

Clear?

50 years ago Martin Luther King shared his dream of a nation where black and whites would seamlessly interweave in making a larger and better American fabric; where skin color was irrelevant.

That is perfectly in line with the American ideal: come here with an idea, with a talent, with a skill, with a mission and nurture it and tend to it until it blossoms.

Instead we heard yesterday blacks need more government programs and support

Was MLK's vision the path that's been followed, or is that the road not taken?

Federal government action was needed to end state sponsored segregation and to aid in such areas as voting. Ending material discrimination was in the purview of the federal govt.
Beyond that is where the federal govt. messed up to a considerable degree.

And as bad as it sounds? THEY have no clue how fortunate they are to be born here...and change their culture. Instead? We get excuses...and anger. It sits right in front of them...and ALL they do and their leaders do is WHINE.

*I* have ZERO sympathy.
Who is "they"? What "culture"? All I hear is a bunch of people from all groups "whine" about each other. Judging from your post, you seem to be WHINING yourself.

First of all? Are YOU able to read? *I* highlighted what I was addressing...and second? NO whining here junior. I observe. And IF you wanna press the point? Please continue. I will stomp upon you as I would a snake.

Clear?
Why don't you just answer the question? Who is the "they" you are SPECIFICALLY referring to? What "culture" are you SPECIFICALLY referring to?

I am pressing the point , now follow with your delusional "stomp". You act like you are some "moral" authority, and "patriot". Your opinion, is no more valid than mine or anyone else on this forum. People of your type, tend to really have the ASSHOLE factor, when people question your "wisdom" (which ain't shit).

Yeah, it's clear that you are a pretentious PUTZ.

Clear?
Why don't you just answer the question? Who is the "they" you are SPECIFICALLY referring to? What "culture" are you SPECIFICALLY referring to?

I am pressing the point , now follow with your delusional "stomp". You act like you are some "moral" authority, and "patriot". Your opinion, is no more valid than mine or anyone else on this forum. People of your type, tend to really have the ASSHOLE factor, when people question your "wisdom" (which ain't shit).

Yeah, it's clear that you are a pretentious PUTZ.
Son? I am not the one that forgot HOW TO READ.

Put a sock in it boy.

MAN UP. I answered. YOU didn't like the answer.

DEAL with it.

~The T...OUT.

Thank you for your answer. So that means that the majority (75%) of the Black population is not on government assistance. I would also venture to state that the majority (75%) is not in poverty. That's why I ask people when they criticize "the Blacks","why define the majority of "the Blacks", by the minority of the Blacks?". If 25% percent of your group was not doing well, and I claim that my ideology believes in the INDIVIDUAL, would it be fair to make a generalization that includes you and the majority of your people that aren't doing bad?

you are correct.

The majority of black people are doing just fine and some are doing better than just fine.

My complaint, and I'm not alone, is that whitey is keepin ya down.bullshit

ps in some key areas blacks are behind other groups

is that an indication that blacks are "inferior" ?

frankly, I dunno

why can't we just look at each other as individuals instead of categorizing everyone by race sex etc.

Ask your local NAACP chapter, I'm sure they will disagree with ME

Thanks for your answer and honesty. I don't think that the majority of Black people talk about "whitey keeping them down". It's not part of my conversations with friends, family, co-workers, and relatives who are Black. Many times, there's this farce that some people try to portray about Black people; and that is, if a black person is successful, he/she is called an "Uncle Tom" or "sellout". That's simply not true for the majority of the aforementioned Black people. Of course there's an IGNORANT and VOCAL minority of them that will say that, there's also an IGNORANT and VOCAL minority of them who are losers and with try to pull people down like crabs in a bucket. My friend (Black) is dealing with that right now with her step granddaughter and her husband's side of the family who are the people (the 25%) that people rail against. When she told my wife(white) and I (mixed race) about the situation , we were outraged and expressed support for our friend who is giving this brilliant young lady a great life (school, tennis, soccer), and those pigs are being hateful about it. WE don't want her to get into those people's clutches, they can't even articulate a proper sentence, never-mind their lifestyle.

Thank you for your answer. So that means that the majority (75%) of the Black population is not on government assistance. I would also venture to state that the majority (75%) is not in poverty. That's why I ask people when they criticize "the Blacks","why define the majority of "the Blacks", by the minority of the Blacks?". If 25% percent of your group was not doing well, and I claim that my ideology believes in the INDIVIDUAL, would it be fair to make a generalization that includes you and the majority of your people that aren't doing bad?

you are correct.

The majority of black people are doing just fine and some are doing better than just fine.

frankly, I dunno

why can't we just look at each other as individuals instead of categorizing everyone by race sex etc.

Thanks for your answer and honesty. I don't think that the majority of Black people talk about "whitey keeping them down". It's not part of my conversations with friends, family, co-workers, and relatives who are Black. Many times, there's this farce that some people try to portray about Black people; and that is, if a black person is successful, he/she is called an "Uncle Tom" or "sellout". That's simply not true for the majority of the aforementioned Black people. Of course there's an IGNORANT and VOCAL minority of them that will say that, there's also an IGNORANT and VOCAL minority of them who are losers and with try to pull people down like crabs in a bucket. My friend (Black) is dealing with that right now with her step granddaughter and her husband's side of the family who are the people (the 25%) that people rail against. When she told my wife(white) and I (mixed race) about the situation , we were outraged and expressed support for our friend who is giving this brilliant young lady a great life (school, tennis, soccer), and those pigs are being hateful about it. WE don't want her to get into those people's clutches, they can't even articulate a proper sentence, never-mind their lifestyle.
The problem is not race. It never has been. It's poverty and the lack of jobs that provide enough pay to support a family. Until we find a way to create jobs that the working poor are qualified to do that produces enough income to support the family, the problem of government support will be with us.

Finding the solution has to begin with the family, teaching young mothers parenting skills, building self-esteem in the kids, and providing kids from poor families the education they need to get the good jobs. Do this, I will fully support cutting back on government assistance because the need will disappear.

The issue is that the black community is over run with poverty, dependence, drug use and violence. This has been the result of 40 years of Democratic policies that only increase the factors that cause all those conditions. Some of us want to see the black community do better by changing or eliminating those prorgams. We believe blacks can compete with whites on equal basis for education and jobs and opinions to the contrary are racist and unproductive.
The facts are the facts. Blacks are grossly over represented in gov't welfare rolls of whatever type, prison populations, and murders both as victim and perp. That has to stop. The first step is figuring out what the problem is. It isnt genetic. Blacks from the Caribbean who come here do far better than American born blacks. It is cultural. And we must change that culture.

Why not debate and discuss the issue without resorting to saying "
Do you even understand what the hell you're talking about?" ? Of course I understand what I am talking about , and YES facts are facts, and the fact is that the overwhelming majority of Blacks (75%) are not in poverty or on government assistance, yet some "folks" want to make the 25% of "the Blacks" define the 75% of "the Blacks". That 25% percent doesn't represent the overwhelming Blacks that I am related to, am friends with, and co-workers.

So there's no problem in the black community because 75% are not on gov't assistance? Really?
The first step is admitting there is a problem.

you are correct.

frankly, I dunno

What's the percentage of black children born into one parent families? Now tell me there is no problem.

you are correct.

frankly, I dunno

The problem is not race. It never has been. It's poverty and the lack of jobs that provide enough pay to support a family. Until we find a way to create jobs that the working poor are qualified to do that produces enough income to support the family, the problem of government support will be with us.

Finding the solution has to begin with the family, teaching young mothers parenting skills, building self-esteem in the kids, and providing kids from poor families the education they need to get the good jobs. Do this, I will fully support cutting back on government assistance because the need will disappear.
That is exactly what Democrats have said for 40 years. And we see the results.

You can find jobs all day long and people will squander it on bigger toys they cannot afford. There has to be a mind shift change so people are not gullible and fall for the same stuff they have been falling for since slavery begin in this country. I agree with everything you said but you left out probably the most import element. The black male.

you are correct.

frankly, I dunno

in all honesty the deadbeats I know are white and Steeler fans :eek:

You can find jobs all day long and people will squander it on bigger toys they cannot afford. There has to be a mind shift change so people are not gullible and fall for the same stuff they have been falling for since slavery begin in this country. I agree with everything you said but you left out probably the most import element. The black male.
And that mind shift has to begin with the children. Until kids from poor families develop self-esteem and believe their is a future for them past drugs, gangs, and government dependency the problem will not be solved. Programs like Head Start, mentoring programs, in school programs and programs teaching parenting skills help. However, nothing helps more than a loving stable family.

I think it's a lot like the chicken and egg scenario. We can't develop the kind of family structure needed to raise children in an environment that develops self-esteem, parental guidance, and education without a decent earned family income. Yet it's that early background and education that's needed for success.

And that mind shift has to begin with the children. Until kids from poor families develop self-esteem and believe their is a future for them past drugs, gangs, and government dependency the problem will not be solved. Programs like Head Start, mentoring programs, in school programs and programs teaching parenting skills help. However, nothing helps more than a loving stable family.

I think it's a lot like the chicken and egg scenario. We can't develop the kind of family structure needed to raise children in an environment that develops self-esteem, parental guidance, and education without a decent earned family income. Yet it's that early background and education that's needed for success.

You understand that gov't programs that support single parent families encourage more of the same, right?

You say "family" but only mention "young mothers." That's part of the problem right there. "Self-esteem"?! Kids today hardly lack in self-esteem, in fact they suffer from a surfeit of it. What they need to learn is respect - for themselves, others, and society. Falling back on the facile refrain of "education" is nice and simple - too simple when we know that dumping more and more money into failing schools doesn't work. One of the most pernicious aspects of what democrat policies have done to the fabric of society over the past 60 years or so is that you can't 'fix it' by imposing some structure from above. The quality of a society lies in the character of its people, and that character has been (in some ways deliberately) undermined and enervated for decades. The good news is that Americans will gravitate toward independence, competition, and also a loyalty to community and country quite naturally if you let them. The bad news is that government is not inclined or currently designed to stay out of the way when it should.

Liberalism wants to believe that if you 'create' the perfect environment you will as a natural consequence create the perfect man. A nice idea (I suppose...) that has never worked and never will. Remove the finger of state from the process and man will naturally incline toward homeostasis according to his true nature. The nature of Americans is superior and will out if freed from the shackles of social engineering and well-intentioned meddling.

You are correct about the difficulty in reaching someone that has been socialized to raise their children the worst way imaginable. Some people i talk to are really gone. They have no hope at all, no drive left, and blame slavery for keeping them down. I think the presence of true knowledge of history would go a long way towards instilling the pride, discipline and good habits that lead to success in general. Once these kids hear the truth and have support against those that try to deny it they will be ok. I had to have a man to man talk with my youngest daughters teacher about reprimanding her in class over Columbus. All these years and they are still advancing that lie. I also think parents themselves need to learn leadership and interpersonal skills and pass them on to their kids in a structured manner. I made a conscious effort from the beginning to teach my kids true history, leadership and interpersonal skills and the result has been nothing short of amazing. I dont let them get wrapped up in what society does and the negative stuff on TV everyday.

You say "family" but only mention "young mothers." That's part of the problem right there. "Self-esteem"?! Kids today hardly lack in self-esteem, in fact they suffer from a surfeit of it. What they need to learn is respect - for themselves, others, and society. Falling back on the facile refrain of "education" is nice and simple - too simple when we know that dumping more and more money into failing schools doesn't work. One of the most pernicious aspects of what democrat policies have done to the fabric of society over the past 60 years or so is that you can't 'fix it' by imposing some structure from above. The quality of a society lies in the character of its people, and that character has been (in some ways deliberately) undermined and enervated for decades. The good news is that Americans will gravitate toward independence, competition, and also a loyalty to community and country quite naturally if you let them. The bad news is that government is not inclined or currently designed to stay out of the way when it should.

Liberalism wants to believe that if you 'create' the perfect environment you will as a natural consequence create the perfect man. A nice idea (I suppose...) that has never worked and never will. Remove the finger of state from the process and man will naturally incline toward homeostasis according to his true nature. The nature of Americans is superior and will out if freed from the shackles of social engineering and well-intentioned meddling.

Its not that early education doesn't work. Its what they are learning and then what they have to deal with when back at home with screwed up parents. its true that under the best of circumstances kids appear to have great self esteem but thats only if they have been raised in a manner that celebrates success and teaches from mistakes without being downgraded. If you could hear some of the things I have heard Black parents say to their children in the ghetto you would probably pass out. By the time they hit school they are already way behind in self esteem. If they dont have respect for themselves how are they going to have respect for society at large? How is the cycle going to be broken if the parents don't know and the kids don't know?

Do you even understand what the hell you're talking about?" ? Of course I understand what I am talking about , and YES facts are facts, and the fact is that the overwhelming majority of Blacks (75%) are not in poverty or on government assistance, yet some "folks" want to make the 25% of "the Blacks" define the 75% of "the Blacks". That 25% percent doesn't represent the overwhelming Blacks that I am related to, am friends with, and co-workers.

So there's no problem in the black community because 75% are not on gov't assistance? Really?

The no problem with the MAJORITY of Black people, it a problem with a MINORITY of Black people, yet some people seem to be making it out to be a problem with "the Blacks".

you are correct.

frankly, I dunno

What's the percentage of black children born into one parent families? Now tell me there is no problem.

The ideal family unit is a two parent family. My point is that, in my opinion they may have had the baby before they got married, or the father is still with the mother but they are unmarried when the baby arrived, thus "out of wedlock". That said, there are PLENTY of dead beat sperm donors and I think that they should be dealt with by the legal system in order to make sure that they step up and at least provide financial support for their children.

The no problem with the MAJORITY of Black people, it a problem with a MINORITY of Black people, yet some people seem to be making it out to be a problem with "the Blacks".

THe minority of black people constitute a huge societal problem, accounting crime out of all proportion to their numbers. This "the majority is OK" business is sophistic nonsense. The black community has a huge problem. Period. The rate of unwed births is approaching 80%. That is more than a minority. The black community in toto suffers from demographic negatives not seen elsewhere in AMerican society. Even rural whites only come close.

Forum List

Back