50 years later: has government dependency helped or hurt blacks?

50 years ago Martin Luther King shared his dream of a nation where black and whites would seamlessly interweave in making a larger and better American fabric; where skin color was irrelevant.

That is perfectly in line with the American ideal: come here with an idea, with a talent, with a skill, with a mission and nurture it and tend to it until it blossoms.

Instead we heard yesterday blacks need more government programs and support

Was MLK's vision the path that's been followed, or is that the road not taken?

meh... I was all set to put up a lengthy post to back you up...

but then I thought about how dumb-shit libs like Sallow 'n Hazlnut'll likely dog me for whatever I post...

and I simply ain't got the time or energy for such stuff...

Number and percentage of people receiving public assistance, by sex, race/ethnicity, and age group: Selected years, 1980 through 2009

2009: Americans on public assistance: 19,670,000

Percentages:

Percentage of Americans receiving public assistance in 2009: 6.5%

% White: 4.4%
% Black: 13.5%
Hispanic: 8.7%
Asian/Pacific Islanders: 5.9%
Native Americans/Eskimos: 16.1%

Males: 6.1%
Females: 6.8%

Great stats but the reality is more whites will be effected if we do away with welfare bottom line. You can percent it to death but thats the reality. Whites seem to be fixated on Black issues they too are suffering but somehow Blacks are the problem? What is the problem with the whites on welfare? They have fewer obstacles in their way. what is their issue? Another thing I noticed about the stats is that the 2 groups in the US that were raped the worst have the highest welfare percentage. You still think racism has nothing to do with it?

You really DO have a problem with understanding the significance of the welfare stats. The FACT is this:

There are 7 times more whites than blacks, that ARE NOT on welfare. Meaning we have 7 times more people, racially speaking, succeeding.

Number and percentage of people receiving public assistance, by sex, race/ethnicity, and age group: Selected years, 1980 through 2009

Percentages:

Great stats but the reality is more whites will be effected if we do away with welfare bottom line. You can percent it to death but thats the reality. Whites seem to be fixated on Black issues they too are suffering but somehow Blacks are the problem? What is the problem with the whites on welfare? They have fewer obstacles in their way. what is their issue? Another thing I noticed about the stats is that the 2 groups in the US that were raped the worst have the highest welfare percentage. You still think racism has nothing to do with it?

You really DO have a problem with understanding the significance of the welfare stats. The FACT is this:

There are 7 times more whites than blacks, that ARE NOT on welfare. Meaning we have 7 times more people, racially speaking, succeeding.

Why are more whites on welfare bottom line? If you are succeeding then no whites should be on it correct? Can you answer that?

Why are more whites on welfare bottom line? If you are succeeding then no whites should be on it correct? Can you answer that?

Why are so many of your already minimal people, numerically speaking, on welfare? As an ethnic group you have a higher than normal percentage of welfare takers? Asians and Hispanics are doing far better economically. Whites as a percentage, racially speaking, are doing better... Why is it that blacks stay on welfare generation after generation- despite all the programs and freebies, specific to their racial make-up to get them off of it?

You can try holding up a mirror as if whites have the same problem- but that dog don't hunt in this instance- This is due to the fact that as a percentage of our population it is just not as significant. No matter how much you try and point at whites- we are doing better, despite the fact that we don't get free college just because we are white. We are not killing each other (see Chicago) or destroying cities where we are in charge- (see Detroit.)

Why are so many of your already minimal people, numerically speaking, on welfare? As an ethnic group you have a higher than normal percentage of welfare takers? Asians and Hispanics are doing far better economically. Whites as a percentage, racially speaking, are doing better... Why is it that blacks stay on welfare generation after generation- despite all the programs and freebies, specific to their racial make-up to get them off of it?

You can try holding up a mirror as if whites have the same problem- but that dog don't hunt in this instance- This is due to the fact that as a percentage of our population it is just not as significant. No matter how much you try and point at whites- we are doing better, despite the fact that we don't get free college just because we are white. We are not killing each other (see Chicago) or destroying cities where we are in charge- (see Detroit.)

Totally avoided the question. Why are whites the highest number of people on welfare? There should be no whites on welfare. What is wrong with them?

Totally avoided the question. Why are whites the highest number of people on welfare? There should be no whites on welfare. What is wrong with them?
It is amazing you can be so obtuse on multiple threads simultaneously. Even in the intellectually challenged community you must dwell, do many agree with you? Is it simple hackery, or the product of public education? Gotta wonder.

It is amazing you can be so obtuse on multiple threads simultaneously. Even in the intellectually challenged community you must dwell, do many agree with you? Is it simple hackery, or the product of public education? Gotta wonder.

So you cant explain the great mystery either? I figured. Answer the question and explain how whites are so great but yet they make up most of the welfare recipients? Your avoidance just makes it more embarrassing.

BEcause there are numerically many more of them. Easy question. So easy it must be a deflection.
Here's one: Why are over 80% of black children born and raised in single parent families? Why is the leading cause of death among young whites auto accidents while among young blacks it is homicide? Why are more blacks in prison than in college? Why do blacks underperform in every category of economic and social achievment?
These are all undisputable facts. The difference is I want to do something to make these things better. You want to sweep it under the rug and cry racism.

BEcause there are numerically many more of them. Easy question. So easy it must be a deflection.
Here's one: Why are over 80% of black children born and raised in single parent families? Why is the leading cause of death among young whites auto accidents while among young blacks it is homicide? Why are more blacks in prison than in college? Why do blacks underperform in every category of economic and social achievment?
These are all undisputable facts. The difference is I want to do something to make these things better. You want to sweep it under the rug and cry racism.

Doesn't make sense. If whites are superior why are they on welfare at all? Why are there more white serial killers than any other race? Why are there more white terrorist? Why did whites found a group that advocates grown men having sex with boys? These are facts. Why do whites continue to cover up the truth about World and US history?

I already told you the reason for the black issues but you choose to invalidate them. Why? Its as if all reason has left your head....or your hiding your true intentions. Why are the 2 racial groups the whites in this country have screwed over the hardest having he most issues? The reason is racism but to you it cant possibly be that. Your theory that whites are superior mentally is a scam. The real reason is right in front of your face and you choose not to see it.

Doesn't make sense. If whites are superior why are they on welfare at all? Why are there more white serial killers than any other race? Why are there more white terrorist? Why did whites found a group that advocates grown men having sex with boys? These are facts. Why do whites continue to cover up the truth about World and US history?

I already told you the reason for the black issues but you choose to invalidate them. Why? Its as if all reason has left your head....or your hiding your true intentions. Why are the 2 racial groups the whites in this country have screwed over the hardest having he most issues? The reason is racism but to you it cant possibly be that. Your theory that whites are superior mentally is a scam. The real reason is right in front of your face and you choose not to see it.
I know of no race of people that is perfect and without problems. So your argument is a straw man from the start.
I dont believe whites are superior. You might, which could explain a lot of the envy and denial here. But I dont.
I have laid out the sociology and statistics. You want to blame whitey even though those metrics were far better in the past than they are now. Is there more or less racism today than 50 years ago?

I know of no race of people that is perfect and without problems. So your argument is a straw man from the start.
I dont believe whites are superior. You might, which could explain a lot of the envy and denial here. But I dont.
I have laid out the sociology and statistics. You want to blame whitey even though those metrics were far better in the past than they are now. Is there more or less racism today than 50 years ago?

I know there is no race that is superior. However that seems to be the basis of your argument. If I am wrong then you have my apologies. What you seem to miss is that your sociological arguments along with stats prove only one thing. The root of the problem is racism, and slavery and its affects on the psyche of the minority of Blacks that are having issues.

I would say that there is way less overt racism now than 50 years ago and probably way more covert racism. Also it seems to be cyclical and rises and falls in conjunction with the economy. Its used a diversionary tactic to get peoples minds off the real issues. Right now the right is trying to stimulate its base using racism as its motivator.

Last edited:

I know there is no race that is superior. However that seems to be the basis of your argument. If I am wrong then you have my apologies. What you seem to miss is that your sociological arguments along with stats prove only one thing. The root of the problem is racism, and slavery and its affects on the psyche of the minority of Blacks that are having issues.

I would say that there is way less overt racism now than 50 years ago and probably way more covert racism. Also it seems to be cyclical and rises and falls in conjunction with the economy. Its used a diversionary tactic to get peoples minds off the real issues. Right now the right is trying to stimulate its base using racism as its motivator.

Why do you think the root cause is racism, rather than black adopting a dysfunctional culture that glorifies failure?
If racism is covert than it has no effect. OTherwise it wouldnt be covert anymore.

Why do you think the root cause is racism, rather than black adopting a dysfunctional culture that glorifies failure?
If racism is covert than it has no effect. OTherwise it wouldnt be covert anymore.

Black culture is not dysfunctional. Are you referring to criminal culture? When people are treated like animals they tend to reflect that. Overt racism is telling me I cant have a job because i am Black. Covert racism is not hiring me because I am black but saying instead I'm not a good fit. Both have the same effect. Where did you come up with the notion that racism had to be overt in order to have an effect?

Black culture is not dysfunctional. Are you referring to criminal culture? When people are treated like animals they tend to reflect that. Overt racism is telling me I cant have a job because i am Black. Covert racism is not hiring me because I am black but saying instead I'm not a good fit. Both have the same effect. Where did you come up with the notion that racism had to be overt in order to have an effect?

But in the 1950s and 1960s, black income (which were very low after WWII) started climbing much faster than the incomes of any other group. Mostly because they worked hard, provided good families, etc. And that was during a time when racism was everywhere, Jim Crow laws in nearly every state, etc.

And then, as that started to diminish in the 1970s (though it was still around of course), black incomes suddenly levelled off, still far lower than the incomes of other racial groups.

Why did black incomes stop climbing in the 1970s through today - a time of LESS racism than in the 1950s and 1960s when black incomes were rising so fast?

Are you really sitting here making the argument that young blacks are killing other young blacks in our inner cities because of the "affects" (sic) of slavery?

I'm not sure what it is that you're even talking about when you refer to "Black culture". You'll have to explain what black culture it is you're referring to.

If you're trying to say that blacks living in our inner cities are NOT dysfunctional at the moment then I'd have to respectfully disagree with you. They are extremely dysfunctional and it's a problem that isn't going to be resolved by excusing what's going on with vapid speeches about "overt" and "covert" racism. Black teens aren't getting hired because of racism. They aren't getting hired because they don't have the job skills needed.

But in the 1950s and 1960s, black income (which were very low after WWII) started climbing much faster than the incomes of any other group. Mostly because they worked hard, provided good families, etc. And that was during a time when racism was everywhere, Jim Crow laws in nearly every state, etc.

And then, as that started to diminish in the 1970s (though it was still around of course), black incomes suddenly levelled off, still far lower than the incomes of other racial groups.

Why did black incomes stop climbing in the 1970s through today - a time of LESS racism than in the 1950s and 1960s when black incomes were rising so fast?

Do you mean a time of less overt racism? Its one thing to know your enemy. Its another when they are unseen. It breeds hopelessness and rage. Not good things for ones psyche. . One of the things I like about the south is that at least whites let you know where you stand. Another thing you need to understand is about cycles. Everything is a cycle. The incomes will go back up and the violence will go down.

I'm not sure what it is that you're even talking about when you refer to "Black culture". You'll have to explain what black culture it is you're referring to.

If you're trying to say that blacks living in our inner cities are NOT dysfunctional at the moment then I'd have to respectfully disagree with you. They are extremely dysfunctional and it's a problem that isn't going to be resolved by excusing what's going on with vapid speeches about "overt" and "covert" racism. Black teens aren't getting hired because of racism. They aren't getting hired because they don't have the job skills needed.

Rabbi used the term black culture. To me Black culture consists of values, traditions, music, literature etc that we value. Blacks in the inner city are made up of lots of people. To define all Blacks in the inner city as dysfunctional is an insult. If you can explain why schools in the inner city are woefully inadequate you may have your answer as to why they lag behind.

Percentages:

There are also over twice as many blacks below the poverty line so you would expect at lot more blacks dependent on government support. However, statistics can be misleading. Terms such as government support and welfare are used loosely which may or may not include all programs both federal and state. Also the years that statistics are collected are very significant. In other words you can find statistics to support just about any case you want to make.

Rabbi used the term black culture. To me Black culture consists of values, traditions, music, literature etc that we value. Blacks in the inner city are made up of lots of people. To define all Blacks in the inner city as dysfunctional is an insult. If you can explain why schools in the inner city are woefully inadequate you may have your answer as to why they lag behind.

There is a black culture like you describe. It does not predominate in inner cities.
Here's Don Lemon describing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back