50 years later: has government dependency helped or hurt blacks?

If I came on here and declared that Barack Obama is the dumbest guy I've ever met! I would expect some "heat" for that comment. Yet you come here and declare similar things about Bush and seem bewildered that anyone would question what it is that you've said.

You wouldn't get "heat" from me. Maybe thats where the confusion lies. If you said all Black people are dumb you would get some "heat".

So if I made the contention that Barack Obama is in fact an incredibly stupid man who only got to where he is today because Affirmative Action promotes those less qualified...you'd say..."Well, that's your opinion..." and move on? Really? Pardon me while I go turn off the "bullshit detector" on my computer, Asclepias...it's going off like a fire alarm!

Actually i probably would not even address it if that was the only thing you said. If it was included in a point you were making my response would most likely be to ask you why you thought that way. If you were a proven racist like some I might make a wise crack if you left me a way to do it.

Let me guess...you're one of those naive people who thought Barack Obama was competent because he gave some great speeches?

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJSfBKQA_KQ].[/ame]

So if I made the contention that Barack Obama is in fact an incredibly stupid man who only got to where he is today because Affirmative Action promotes those less qualified...you'd say..."Well, that's your opinion..." and move on? Really? Pardon me while I go turn off the "bullshit detector" on my computer, Asclepias...it's going off like a fire alarm!

He is incredibly stupid. But a talented phony :D

I wouldn't say he's stupid. I certainly don't think he is as "brilliant" as some fawning acolytes and wannabes would have their fellow sheep believe, but not stupid. He is just remarkably unqualified and unsuited to the job he currently holds.
And voted into office for one reason, and ONE reason only...so the Statists could say that THEY were the first to get a black elected to POTUS. Nevermind as you so aptly point out that he was uniquely unqualified for the job to start with...but hasn't affirmative action ALWAYS been like that?

WE as a nation have to suffer as a consequence of stupid people.

He is incredibly stupid. But a talented phony :D

I wouldn't say he's stupid. I certainly don't think he is as "brilliant" as some fawning acolytes and wannabes would have their fellow sheep believe, but not stupid. He is just remarkably unqualified and unsuited to the job he currently holds.

I wouldn't say he was stupid either, Unk...I don't know him well enough to make that determination. I don't know how much of what I see on TV is Obama or a talented speech writer putting intelligent sounding words in his mouth. Unlike some that post here, that lack of personal knowledge would preclude me from making a statement that I can't back up...but that's just me.:eusa_angel:

Let me guess...you're one of those naive people who thought Barack Obama was competent because he gave some great speeches?

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJSfBKQA_KQ"].[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfxVkLhlu5s]Barack Obama The Magic Negro - YouTube[/ame]

What do you base that "opinion" on? Did you grow up with W? Were you one of his teachers along the way? Did you have business dealings with him? Have you ever had a conversation with the man about anything? What do you REALLY know about George W. Bush?

I base that on my observations of what he says, how he says it and when he says it. Maybe he is really smart. I just have not got that impression from him. Thats why its my opinion and not a fact to me. IMO his father was brilliant so its not that he is white or a republican.

So someone's speaking ability determines their intelligence level? With that logic TV anchorpersons should be running the world...right, Asclepias? :cuckoo:

No. I said what, how, and when he said it. Has nothing to do with his speaking ability. I think some of the dumbest things I have ever heard have come from TV anchors. I also think GW has said some dumb things. There was one thing in particular that will stay with me. I think he is at some conference about breast replacement or something and he is talking about the doctors ability to do the surgery. He goes off into a semi trance and starts groping the air as he is describing the doctor operating on the breast. I thought it was hilarious and pretty dumb of him to say it.

If I came on here and declared that Barack Obama is the dumbest guy I've ever met! I would expect some "heat" for that comment. Yet you come here and declare similar things about Bush and seem bewildered that anyone would question what it is that you've said.
George Bush was perceived by the public as being dumb because of his frequent verbal missteps. Although I don't think he's dumb, I also don't think he is one of our more intelligent presidents. There are lots of intelligent people when speaking in public, tangle their word and Bush is one of them. His rather quirky casual speaking style before the cameras certainly doesn't convey an image of brilliance. Although it may have endeared him to his supporters when campaigning, it didn't help him as president.

Last edited:
I base that on my observations of what he says, how he says it and when he says it. Maybe he is really smart. I just have not got that impression from him. Thats why its my opinion and not a fact to me. IMO his father was brilliant so its not that he is white or a republican.

So someone's speaking ability determines their intelligence level? With that logic TV anchorpersons should be running the world...right, Asclepias? :cuckoo:

No. I said what, how, and when he said it. Has nothing to do with his speaking ability. I think some of the dumbest things I have ever heard have come from TV anchors. I also think GW has said some dumb things. There was one thing in particular that will stay with me. I think he is at some conference about breast replacement or something and he is talking about the doctors ability to do the surgery. He goes off into a semi trance and starts groping the air as he is describing the doctor operating on the breast. I thought it was hilarious and pretty dumb of him to say it.

So one part of one interview where he is unsure of the terminology of a topic he has no expertise in and from that you conclude he's dumb?
I see the problem. You are a shallow thinker who lets prejudices dictate reactions and opinions.

So one part of one interview where he is unsure of the terminology of a topic he has no expertise in and from that you conclude he's dumb?
I see the problem. You are a shallow thinker who lets prejudices dictate reactions and opinions.

Yeah. Pretty dumb to not know what youre talking about, know you are going to be speaking on the subject and still open your mouth without preparation? You do that alot so I get why you are offended. If that was only the first time he has done that my opinion would be different.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, dependency on government has definitely hurt blacks as well as whites who have refused to pursue jobs as a means of paying for their own support.

Government dependency is the lowest common denominator and they will continue to fuss that they are poor and need more. But it is their own choice to be on the government's tit so I have no solace for them, just disdain.

So the "one thing" that stays with you is something you think he said at a conference...or something...but you can't remember what it was specifically about...although you're pretty sure it was hilarious and pretty dumb? Gee, it must have been SOMETHING memorable since you have no recollection of what he said.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlcE3HVRlRs]Funny and Dumb Bush Quotes/Moments - YouTube[/ame]

I used to have to do public relations speaking for one of my jobs...it usually involved standing up in front of a couple hundred people and giving an introduction to someone who was promoting their latest book or film. Pretty straight forward stuff which was usually a walk in the park. But ever once in awhile you have one of those days when you're a bumbling, stumbling idiot who can't keep your train of thought or forgets someone's name or the title of their project. It's embarrassing. The good thing is that people are usually rather understanding about that sort of thing.

Then you've got politicians. Someone like W. is in office for 8 years and makes tens of thousands of speeches on every topic there is. They get asked countless questions by the media. And if they make a mess of it...God help them because they will see that clip played over and over and over again in a "greatest hits" collection of their speaking gaffes. You base your opinion on Bush's intelligence based on such a clip. It's not a fair way to judge someone.

So the "one thing" that stays with you is something you think he said at a conference...or something...but you can't remember what it was specifically about...although you're pretty sure it was hilarious and pretty dumb? Gee, it must have been SOMETHING memorable since you have no recollection of what he said.

Yes it was. I about busted a rib laughing. What I dont recall is the exact situation but his words and groping gestures as if he was grabbing a womans breast will never be erased from my mind. I was in mixed company and you should have seem some of the women actually recoil as he did it. :lol:

I used to have to do public relations speaking for one of my jobs...it usually involved standing up in front of a couple hundred people and giving an introduction to someone who was promoting their latest book or film. Pretty straight forward stuff which was usually a walk in the park. But ever once in awhile you have one of those days when you're a bumbling, stumbling idiot who can't keep your train of thought or forgets someone's name or the title of their project. It's embarrassing. The good thing is that people are usually rather understanding about that sort of thing.

Then you've got politicians. Someone like W. is in office for 8 years and makes tens of thousands of speeches on every topic there is. They get asked countless questions by the media. And if they make a mess of it...God help them because they will see that clip played over and over and over again in a "greatest hits" collection of their speaking gaffes. You base your opinion on Bush's intelligence based on such a clip. It's not a fair way to judge someone.

So you understand preparation on a subject and the concept of a green room to get your thoughts together then? An opinion is not a fact. if i said Bush is stupid and I can prove it I could see you getting upset. Thats not what I said and you know it.

Last edited:
Getting back to the topic of this thread, dependency on government has definitely hurt blacks as well as whites who have refused to pursue jobs as a means of paying for their own support.

Government dependency is the lowest common denominator and they will continue to fuss that they are poor and need more. But it is their own choice to be on the government's tit so I have no solace for them, just disdain.

Indeed. WE are seeing a government that was never intended. The PEOPLE have gotten lazy.

As I said before dependency is normally at its very essence a negative thing. Giving handouts without requiring some sort of payback is just another form of the slavery system in my opinion. The difference between dependency and support is that at some juncture you are expected to contribute equally once the playing field is equal. In the meantime you contribute what you can to help yourself. Right now we are in a support stage. When the day comes where 2 people of the same socio-economic status, ability, and potential can succeed regardless of race at that point support will become dependency. Fix society and the system don't complain about those that use it to even the odds a little.

As I said before dependency is normally at its very essence a negative thing. Giving handouts without requiring some sort of payback is just another form of the slavery system in my opinion. The difference between dependency and support is that at some juncture you are expected to contribute equally once the playing field is equal. In the meantime you contribute what you can to help yourself. Right now we are in a support stage. When the day comes where 2 people of the same socio-economic status, ability, and potential can succeed regardless of race at that point support will become dependency. Fix society and the system don't complain about those that use it to even the odds a little.

Dependency of ANY sort is slavery. And this escapes you how cupcake?

hand ups are fine...safety net is fine...but when that net becomes a hammock? Guess what you have?

GUESS where we are, and by design?

So you understand preparation on a subject and the concept of a green room to get your thoughts together then? An opinion is not a fact. if i said Bush is stupid and I can prove it I could see you getting upset. Thats not what I said and you know it.

And once again...I'm not getting upset. I find your habit of stating something you can't support and then saying "Hey, that's just my opinion...I don't have to PROVE it!" amusing. When someone's opinion is worthless why would anyone waste time listening to it? Yet here you are, continuing to hold forth...

Forum List

Back