🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

6.7 Quake Hits Alaska, Tsunami Warming Issued

Look at the gross ghouls wishing ill on their fellow Americans.

Remember after 9/11 when people were emotional, and wishing death upon people across the world they knew nothing about? We are at a whole new level. Today all you have to do is vote for the other guy, and your fellow countrymen will hope your family dies a horrific death. These aren't Americans. They aren't even humans.

I take comfort in knowing these misanthropes are a small, but vocal minority.

Palin said her family was fine, but the house was messed up. I guess the outcome wasn't much different than her usual weekend drunken brawls.

School closed through Tues., several schools received major damage.

Palin said her family was fine, but the house was messed up. I guess the outcome wasn't much different than her usual weekend drunken brawls.

The Palins woke up to find a house in disarray.

"Man, we got so fucked up last night..."

*high fives and fist bumps

Look at the gross ghouls wishing ill on their fellow Americans.

Remember after 9/11 when people were emotional, and wishing death upon people across the world they knew nothing about? We are at a whole new level. Today all you have to do is vote for the other guy, and your fellow countrymen will hope your family dies a horrific death. These aren't Americans. They aren't even humans.

I take comfort in knowing these misanthropes are a small, but vocal minority.

Of course. Half the people on this forum are batshit crazy, and are so batshit crazy that they think there is some support behind them.

"Fuckin' Hillary... deep state... Mueller is an asshole."

"Did somebody forget to close the cabinets before grampa took a shit again?"

It's found on both sides....that's why I vote strictly third party. The voters on both majors haye me...and iIlive it. I hope you all hate me.

Horrible thing. One of our friends has lived there since 1977; he said it was the worst shaker they'd ever experienced. Thankfully their home is intact and they still have power. Our other friends report no damage but one (who lives in Willow) is without power and probably won't have it restored for two weeks or more, she said. The road to the airport is collapsed. Good news: building codes since 1964 kept it was from far, far worse.

Governor at press conference says it is now been declared a 7.2

Ok, he said they are ok, but said “It was a BIG one”.
aftershocks to come!
so glad your family is ok!!!!!!!
Me, too. He said some things came off the walls and broke, but that everything else was ok where he is.

Don’t we have a member that lives there? Can’t remember their handle, though. Hope they are ok.
yes, we do! I can't remember their user name either!
EverCurious is up there, too. Not sure if it's Anchorage, but I think it is.

Mother fucker... lol

I live at the asterisk there in North Eagle River. (All those dots are the quakes over 3.0 (aka felt) that happened through Sunday, just saying):

n4Bn0cL.png

My 40" range jumped 4" My kitchen cabinets dumped on the floor. The kitchen ceiling sheet rock fell... At first I was like "hmm, kind of a big one." Then shit got serious (maybe 15sec in,) power went out almost immediately. Had made it down the stairs with the roommate and youngest son when the 5.7 hit, I said fuck it and we all left the house to go check on the neighbors. (Had to dig a pup out from under a shed that had collapsed and trapped him, another neighbors pipes had broken, another neighbors septic system broke a pipe, nothing major.)

It was pretty much like this at my place (best video of the big one that doesn't lose power IMO):

Damage overview: One of our (Eagle River) elementary schools is closed indefinitely. The UAA (college) campus out here is shut down indefinitely (One of my kido's professors literally quit and is leaving state lol) Road's collapsed both north and south of my place; to the north (away from Anchorage) half the highway collapsed, to the south (toward Anchorage) a pedestrian tunnel collapsed (oh and a house split in half and fell into its basement. Yes the people in it, and their pets, made it out okay.) In Anchorage, about 15-20miles south of me, the off ramp of Minnesota and International Airport road collapsed (dropping an unlucky SUV driver - also fine.) A neighborhood in Sand Lake (south Anchorage) has collapsed some 2-5 feet - a couple of those houses are unlivable, some had to build ramps to get their cars out of the garages.) To the North, Vine Road in the Valley (directly north of the epicenter) got absolutely trashed. Damage reports are not all on the web yet, but, no fatalities, minor injuries.

damagepics said:
20181202-Damaged-part-of-Vine-Road-in-Alaska-620x413.jpg

(Vine Road in Wasilla)

JBNAJYVIANHPNMJCQIDB4K4FUI.jpg

SSPZJ5NDTZHP5HP6NSPWRD4ZKM.jpg

(Couple of the houses that collapsed/split in Eagle River)

jamie+hastings+photo+of+glenn+hwy+damage.PNG

(Highway collapse between Mirror Lake and Eklutna)

glennhwyoverpass2.jpg

(S. [main] Eagle River off/on ramp bridge)

alaska_earthquake.jpg

(Minnesota off ramp collapse - this is the one posted earlier in the thread)

Oh and I heard that the cabin on Big Lake (just a few miles north of the epicenter) we sold a couple years ago is basically gone, all three stories collapsed and it tumbled half into the lake o_O

howitusedtolook said:

Last edited:
Glad you are ok. Yep, my nephew said Eagle River, where he moved from a couple of years ago, got hit even harder than they did in Anchorage. When I asked if he was ok. He said. It was a BIG one. He was pretty shaken up.
Ok, he said they are ok, but said “It was a BIG one”.
aftershocks to come!
so glad your family is ok!!!!!!!
Me, too. He said some things came off the walls and broke, but that everything else was ok where he is.

Don’t we have a member that lives there? Can’t remember their handle, though. Hope they are ok.
yes, we do! I can't remember their user name either!
EverCurious is up there, too. Not sure if it's Anchorage, but I think it is.

Mother fucker... lol

I live at the asterisk there in North Eagle River. (All those dots are the quakes over 3.0 (aka felt) that happened through Sunday, just saying):

n4Bn0cL.png

My 40" range jumped 4" My kitchen cabinets dumped on the floor. The kitchen ceiling sheet rock fell... At first I was like "hmm, kind of a big one." Then shit got serious (maybe 15sec in,) power went out almost immediately. Had made it down the stairs with the roommate and youngest son when the 5.7 hit, I said fuck it and we all left the house to go check on the neighbors. (Had to dig a pup out from under a shed that had collapsed and trapped him, another neighbors pipes had broken, another neighbors septic system broke a pipe, nothing major.)

It was pretty much like this at my place (best video of the big one that doesn't lose power IMO):

Damage overview: One of our (Eagle River) elementary schools is closed indefinitely. The UAA (college) campus out here is shut down indefinitely (One of my kido's professors literally quit and is leaving state lol) Road's collapsed both north and south of my place; to the north (away from Anchorage) half the highway collapsed, to the south (toward Anchorage) a pedestrian tunnel collapsed (oh and a house split in half and fell into its basement. Yes the people in it, and their pets, made it out okay.) In Anchorage, about 15-20miles south of me, the off ramp of Minnesota and International Airport road collapsed (dropping an unlucky SUV driver - also fine.) A neighborhood in Sand Lake (south Anchorage) has collapsed some 2-5 feet - a couple of those houses are unlivable, some had to build ramps to get their cars out of the garages.) To the North, Vine Road in the Valley (directly north of the epicenter) got absolutely trashed. Damage reports are not all on the web yet, but, no fatalities, minor injuries.

damagepics said:
20181202-Damaged-part-of-Vine-Road-in-Alaska-620x413.jpg

(Vine Road in Wasilla)

JBNAJYVIANHPNMJCQIDB4K4FUI.jpg

SSPZJ5NDTZHP5HP6NSPWRD4ZKM.jpg

(Couple of the houses that collapsed/split in Eagle River)

jamie+hastings+photo+of+glenn+hwy+damage.PNG

(Highway collapse between Mirror Lake and Eklutna)

glennhwyoverpass2.jpg

(S. [main] Eagle River off/on ramp bridge)

alaska_earthquake.jpg

(Minnesota off ramp collapse - this is the one posted earlier in the thread)

Oh and I heard that the cabin on Big Lake (just a few miles north of the epicenter) we sold a couple years ago is basically gone, all three stories collapsed and it tumbled half into the lake o_O

howitusedtolook said:

Glad you are ok. Yep, my nephew said Eagle River, where he moved from a couple of years ago, got hit even harder than they did in Anchorage. When I asked if he was ok. He said. It was a BIG one. He was pretty shaken up.

He's not alone...

I was born and raised here (in Eagle River no less,) 45 years and that is the worst quake ever, no question about it. Shit ain't over either. Had close to a 5 just this morning (4.7 I think) We were getting 4's every couple hours, had like uhm 15 5's or some shit. I can't even tell when the ground is /still/ anymore lol My son's GF was so terrified we had to bring her to the house for safe keeping (she just moved up here last summer and hasn't ever been through any quakes. I learned a ton of Spanish curse words in the past week... I think I just might like her :D )

News says we have a low chance of another 7 before Friday >.< I'm sick to death of them myself. I'm thinking about going on vacation :p

Yeah, if another 7 could happen, yeah, a vacation might be good.
Too funny about the girlfriend. Lol
Yep, he texted his mom yesterday, my sis, that they feel everything over 3 and are sick of it. They are a little concerned because they and his brothers family are heading there for Christmas. Fortunately, their 2 kids 8 and 6, were on a school bus when the 7 hit and didn’t seem to realize what happened. He said he had things fall off the wall and out of cabinets and break, but fortunately, nothing more.

He's not alone...

I was born and raised here (in Eagle River no less,) 45 years and that is the worst quake ever, no question about it. Shit ain't over either. Had close to a 5 just this morning (4.7 I think) We were getting 4's every couple hours, had like uhm 15 5's or some shit. I can't even tell when the ground is /still/ anymore lol My son's GF was so terrified we had to bring her to the house for safe keeping (she just moved up here last summer and hasn't ever been through any quakes. I learned a ton of Spanish curse words in the past week... I think I just might like her :D )

News says we have a low chance of another 7 before Friday >.< I'm sick to death of them myself. I'm thinking about going on vacation :p

Yep, he texted his mom yesterday, my sis, that they feel everything over 3 and are sick of it. They are a little concerned because they and his brothers family are heading there for Christmas. Fortunately, their 2 kids 8 and 6, were on a school bus when the 7 hit and didn’t seem to realize what happened. He said he had things fall off the wall and out of cabinets and break, but fortunately, nothing more.

It's nerve-wracking for sure, but they should keep in mind that since the 1964 quake (a 9.2 monster) the building standards in Alaska are pretty high as far as earthquakes go. Across south central 99% of the damage was caused by man-made "fill" area's collapsing; raised highways, partially filled building lots, putting a garage over a basement (super dumb up here frankly.)

Earthquake_Advice said:
If the 7 didn't already cause structural damage to their place, it's pretty unlikely that another 7.0 would - aka trial by fire.

If they've got a decent place they'll have a basement/crawl space - go make sure there's no cracks in the cinder block foundation - bring gloves to pull the insulation off (if they don't have insulation on their blocks, they really should heh) Also check the main support beams of the house for cracks/splits and warps; main beams typically rest on either metal posts (hopefully not) or wood posts that run generally down the center of the open space in the basement. The majority of the wood on the "ceiling" down there are floor joists, typically every 16" and usually attaching to main support beams and exterior walls - they aren't as much of a concern so long as there are not a bunch of them split/cracked in a row or line.)

That said, the damaging jolts of the 7 were in a generally east/west direction (if they're in Anchorage area) so look at what areas of the house are 'danger zones' - cabinets on walls running north/south for example are more likely to dump their contents so think about some cabinet locks if they have standard hinges (ALL of my soft close hinges/drawer slides had enough resistance to hold everything shut, unfortunately for me, I haven't replaced quite /all/ of mine yet >.<) and/or (I highly suggest AND) move the more dangerous stuff that might fall out to bottom cabinets (pots/pans, blenders, heavy bowls, etc.) In the first 7 I ended up with a 4" toss/shift to the west and a 6" toss/shift to the east. The western toss/shift was much harder, it moved my 40" range, gun safe, tool boxes, the eastern toss only moved "surface" crap over and dumped cabinets/fridge, etc. That said, dresser drawers on both the east and west walls opened and some drawers fell out, bookcases dumped, but none of the dressers on north or south walls opened and most stuff stayed on those bookcases. (Sadly for me, most of my shit happens to be on north/south running walls so I had a crap ton of dumpage.)

If they haven't/hadn't already, put tie down straps on furniture that could fall over. (Fridge especially, bookshelves, china cabinets, etc.) They sell them at Fred Meyers, might find them at walmart too; in a pinch use dog leash webbing, screws w/washers into the studs (typically studs are 12" apart, newer construction can be 14" apart), and some velcro or heavy duty double stick tape (harder to find) on the item's top - it doesn't take as much as you think; these two straps screwed into the frame of the house with some velcro attached to the top of the fridge stopped my 600# 4' wide x 7' tall commercial viking fridge from falling over - my heavy ass fridge doors opened and dumped everything, including a couple shelves and drawers, onto the floor >.< I have no doubt in my mind that had we not tied this sucker to the wall it would literally be in the basement right now. Note: the crack there is just a piece of sheet rock we didn't mud after installing the water line to the fridge, its not damage.)

Have them look at the "pattern" of damage in their house, like where things fell out and kind of keep that in mind when putting everything away.

See also: Wondering about damage to your home after the earthquake? Here's what to look for.

and if they have damage - Assembly receives quake assistance briefing from state, feds

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Ever! I will pass this info on to my nephew. Very good info on what to look for.

I should clarify, too, he said they feel everything over a 3 listed near Anchorage or Big Lake.

It's nerve-wracking for sure, but they should keep in mind that since the 1964 quake (a 9.2 monster) the building standards in Alaska are pretty high as far as earthquakes go. Across south central 99% of the damage was caused by man-made "fill" area's collapsing; raised highways, partially filled building lots, putting a garage over a basement (super dumb up here frankly.)

Earthquake_Advice said:
If the 7 didn't already cause structural damage to their place, it's pretty unlikely that another 7.0 would - aka trial by fire.

If they've got a decent place they'll have a basement/crawl space - go make sure there's no cracks in the cinder block foundation - bring gloves to pull the insulation off (if they don't have insulation on their blocks, they really should heh) Also check the main support beams of the house for cracks/splits and warps; main beams typically rest on either metal posts (hopefully not) or wood posts that run generally down the center of the open space in the basement. The majority of the wood on the "ceiling" down there are floor joists, typically every 16" and usually attaching to main support beams and exterior walls - they aren't as much of a concern so long as there are not a bunch of them split/cracked in a row or line.)

That said, the damaging jolts of the 7 were in a generally east/west direction (if they're in Anchorage area) so look at what areas of the house are 'danger zones' - cabinets on walls running north/south for example are more likely to dump their contents so think about some cabinet locks if they have standard hinges (ALL of my soft close hinges/drawer slides had enough resistance to hold everything shut, unfortunately for me, I haven't replaced quite /all/ of mine yet >.<) and/or (I highly suggest AND) move the more dangerous stuff that might fall out to bottom cabinets (pots/pans, blenders, heavy bowls, etc.) In the first 7 I ended up with a 4" toss/shift to the west and a 6" toss/shift to the east. The western toss/shift was much harder, it moved my 40" range, gun safe, tool boxes, the eastern toss only moved "surface" crap over and dumped cabinets/fridge, etc. That said, dresser drawers on both the east and west walls opened and some drawers fell out, bookcases dumped, but none of the dressers on north or south walls opened and most stuff stayed on those bookcases. (Sadly for me, most of my shit happens to be on north/south running walls so I had a crap ton of dumpage.)

If they haven't/hadn't already, put tie down straps on furniture that could fall over. (Fridge especially, bookshelves, china cabinets, etc.) They sell them at Fred Meyers, might find them at walmart too; in a pinch use dog leash webbing, screws w/washers into the studs (typically studs are 12" apart, newer construction can be 14" apart), and some velcro or heavy duty double stick tape (harder to find) on the item's top - it doesn't take as much as you think; these two straps screwed into the frame of the house with some velcro attached to the top of the fridge stopped my 600# 4' wide x 7' tall commercial viking fridge from falling over - my heavy ass fridge doors opened and dumped everything, including a couple shelves and drawers, onto the floor >.< I have no doubt in my mind that had we not tied this sucker to the wall it would literally be in the basement right now. Note: the crack there is just a piece of sheet rock we didn't mud after installing the water line to the fridge, its not damage.)

Have them look at the "pattern" of damage in their house, like where things fell out and kind of keep that in mind when putting everything away.

See also: Wondering about damage to your home after the earthquake? Here's what to look for.

and if they have damage - Assembly receives quake assistance briefing from state, feds

Forum List

Back