81% of Americans under 45 would fail basic ‘US citizenship test’

Yeah, even though 'RT' is Putin's propaganda arm and Daily Signal is extreme right wing Daily Signal - Media Bias/Fact Check - I have seen other studies with similar results and it's a disturbing trend.
To my best recollection, my daughter only had one government class in high school and pretty sure only one semester.
By that time due to budget cuts they'd also eliminated PE, which majorly pissed me off.
Both these things need to be restored or we're gonna end up with an Idiocracy run by obese, low information clowns.
Oh wait ;)

a2b62d_7573d7b509e2483a8d7e94997c37ba23.jpg
At the expense of what, though? Math? Science? ELA?

Yeah, even though 'RT' is Putin's propaganda arm and Daily Signal is extreme right wing Daily Signal - Media Bias/Fact Check - I have seen other studies with similar results and it's a disturbing trend.
To my best recollection, my daughter only had one government class in high school and pretty sure only one semester.
By that time due to budget cuts they'd also eliminated PE, which majorly pissed me off.
Both these things need to be restored or we're gonna end up with an Idiocracy run by obese, low information clowns.
Oh wait ;)

Schools used to be able to walk and chew gum. Funding is now too low and the best teachers are finding occupations that pay better. Few want to go to college 4+ years to start at 30 grand or so.

Oh wait ;)

Schools used to be able to walk and chew gum. Funding is now too low and the best teachers are finding occupations that pay better. Few want to go to college 4+ years to start at 30 grand or so.
Cannot say I have heard too many people claim that school funding is too low in the U.S. As for teacher salaries, not too many places starting you at $30,000. Average starting salary is close to $40,000, and average salary is $56,000.

I am thankful that my children are in a great school system. But that was a conscious decision by my wife and I. When we relocated, we decided based greatly on education opportunity, and when we bought a house, it was 100% with school system in mind. Still, I don't blame the school systems too much for the problems we are having. I blame parenting. Too many parents not actively involved, or not willing to challenge their children. Hell, I personally know at least 8-10 families who opt out of the state testing. Not because they disagree with the curriculum or anything of that sort, but because they are trying to shelter their kids from pressure. So many parents who do not instill a work ethic for school. I have so many parents who are almost aghast that I have my kids doing what seems to be a relatively modest minimum expectation beyond schoolwork (30 minutes of reading non-school books per day, 30 minutes of work outside school on math and science, etc..). "I want my kids to be kids, to enjoy childhood, etc.."

Oh wait ;)

Also, it has nothing to do with 'walk and chew gum', it has to do with X numbers of hours in a day.

Oh wait ;)

Cannot say I have heard too many people claim that school funding is too low in the U.S. As for teacher salaries, not too many places starting you at $30,000. Average starting salary is close to $40,000, and average salary is $56,000.

I am thankful that my children are in a great school system. But that was a conscious decision by my wife and I. When we relocated, we decided based greatly on education opportunity, and when we bought a house, it was 100% with school system in mind. Still, I don't blame the school systems too much for the problems we are having. I blame parenting. Too many parents not actively involved, or not willing to challenge their children. Hell, I personally know at least 8-10 families who opt out of the state testing. Not because they disagree with the curriculum or anything of that sort, but because they are trying to shelter their kids from pressure. So many parents who do not instill a work ethic for school. I have so many parents who are almost aghast that I have my kids doing what seems to be a relatively modest minimum expectation beyond schoolwork (30 minutes of reading non-school books per day, 30 minutes of work outside school on math and science, etc..). "I want my kids to be kids, to enjoy childhood, etc.."

You'll find plenty of slack-ass losers spouting such shit on this site as well.

STARTING salary - Not average. In Idaho it is barely over 30k

The national average starting teacher salary is $38,617, while the average teacher salary in America (non-starting) is $58,950. Sep 1, 2017

Placing the most of the blame on parents is a copout. Just my opinion. I yanked my daughter out of high school her senior year and she finished online prior to heading off to college. Class sizes were too big, she wasn't doing well, and getting teacher to call or email me back was like pulling teeth. She finished strong with As and Bs.

Not having a basic knowledge of the Constitution and not knowing how government works makes you a worthless citizen. Dead wood.

Have you actually read the Constitution?
Most is information setting up the three branches of Government. The bill of rights is critical to good citizenship....the rest is of little value to the day to day realities of citizenship

Knowing the details of how a bill gets passed or how elections are conducted does not help most people

What most people need to know is which candidate best reflects their interests

Their best interest? I thought we were a community according to the left????

So only if it's in the best interest of the left and screw the law and screw the Constitution that makes America work somehow?
Such a drama queen

Drama queen my butt, you prove it that the left only cares about themselves and not some Bible thumper in Oklahoma..

You sound like Bill Maher last night bitching why Wyoming is even a state and gets two senators .

I don't care for any bible thumpers and why oh why does Wyoming get 2 Senators? They should get one, and CA take the second. They are overly represented.

So it looks like you would fail the test..

STARTING salary - Not average. In Idaho it is barely over 30k

The national average starting teacher salary is $38,617, while the average teacher salary in America (non-starting) is $58,950. Sep 1, 2017

Placing the most of the blame on parents is a copout. Just my opinion. I yanked my daughter out of high school her senior year and she finished online prior to heading off to college. Class sizes were too big, she wasn't doing well, and getting teacher to call or email me back was like pulling teeth. She finished strong with As and Bs.

Then start donating your money to the state of Idaho, nothing stopping you.

Not having a basic knowledge of the Constitution and not knowing how government works makes you a worthless citizen. Dead wood.

Most is information setting up the three branches of Government. The bill of rights is critical to good citizenship....the rest is of little value to the day to day realities of citizenship

Knowing the details of how a bill gets passed or how elections are conducted does not help most people

So only if it's in the best interest of the left and screw the law and screw the Constitution that makes America work somehow?
Such a drama queen

Drama queen my butt, you prove it that the left only cares about themselves and not some Bible thumper in Oklahoma..
You sound like Bill Maher last night bitching why Wyoming is even a state and gets two senators .

I don't care for any bible thumpers and why oh why does Wyoming get 2 Senators? They should get one, and CA take the second. They are overly represented.

They're never going to get it Penelope. Right now, 30% of Congress has 70% of the representational power. Representation should be CLOSE if not equal. And those who won't admit that our Founding Fathers had no clue that one day there would be a California, Texas, Florida or New York with 40-60 times as many people as Wyoming, Alaska, Montana or the Dakotas are idiots.

Misrepresentation in the House of Representatives
Smaller States Find Outsize Clout Growing in Senate

Such a drama queen

They're never going to get it Penelope. Right now, 30% of Congress has 70% of the representational power. Representation should be CLOSE if not equal. And those who won't admit that our Founding Fathers had no clue that one day there would be a California, Texas, Florida or New York with 40-60 times as many people as Wyoming, Alaska, Montana or the Dakotas are idiots.

Get what reading the Constitution and the senate was supposed to be representing state rights and the house represents people's rights?

And for the millionth time people's morals and values are different in Billings Montana then in LA

Such a drama queen

Get what reading the Constitution and the senate was supposed to be representing state rights and the house represents people's rights?
And for the millionth time people's morals and values are different in Billings Montana then in LA

Sorry - Holier-than-thous in Montana have no right to obscenely disproportional representation.

Such a drama queen

And they had no idea slavery would not last and women would get to vote, the maj of people are able to read and the US postal service would no longer be by pony express.

Such a drama queen

And they had no idea slavery would not last and women would get to vote, people are able to read and the US postal service would not longer be by pony express.

These constitutional originalists are hilarious. There is nothing in the constitution about automobiles or space travel either. Same can be said about the second amendment. Those who believe our Founding Fathers could have imagined an AK-47 with a 100 round drum when all they had at the time were single round Flintlocks and such are equally idiotic. The first 6 round Colt 45 wasn't invented until 1839.

Such a drama queen

And they had no idea slavery would not last and women would get to vote, the maj of people are able to read and the US postal service would no longer be by pony express.

Of course they did that's why the Constitution was written the way it is, abolitionist was already present in those times

Oh wait ;)

I have mixed feelings about homework in elem. school, esp. in the younger grades. I would be thrilled if parents would just hold their children to responsibility and behavior expectations at home and school. Do chores, contribute to the family, do not be disruptive at school, you don't have that right. Etc.

Instead modern parents bring their child to school with the attitude "What can you do for MY CHILD" without any expectation that the family and child will also be expected to contribute even the smallest thing....like respect. That the school is a community, actually.

In short most people are takers these days. And it's exhausting.

Such a drama queen

And they had no idea slavery would not last and women would get to vote, people are able to read and the US postal service would not longer be by pony express.

These constitutional originalists are hilarious. There is nothing in the constitution about automobiles or space travel either. Same can be said about the second amendment. Those who believe our Founding Fathers could have imagined an AK-47 with a 100 round drum when all they had at the time were single round Flintlocks and such are equally idiotic.

Nothing about radio, television, internet either they all fall under the first amendment. What did you think they didn't know new shit would be invented?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It is taught but not retained. I mean look. Only 25% of the public votes in the midterms. That is pathetic, but that's what's important to the American public. Teachers can "make" students retain information long enough to regurgitate it on a test to pass in school. They cannot "make" students remember it 10, 20, 30 plus years later.

Just like my algebra teachers could not "make" me retain all that math years later. I didn't use it, didn't need it. It's gone. It's not important to me.

I would venture to say that most people remember the words and melodies to most if not all pop songs from their school days. Why? Repetition.

I remember every Shakespeare monologue and soliloquy I memorized in the course of my high school acting career. Why? Repetition.

Facts are the same way. You study, you memorize, you remember.

I also ... ahem ... remember every party I went to, and who was there, where it was, what I was drinking that night, and for the most part when it was.

Do you know brain research? I do. I'm a teacher.

In the first instance, melody attached to words sears to a different part of the brain than simple words alone. We know this. It's why people with alzheimers and dementia can recall song lyrics from long ago. Secondly, you are proving that Project Based Education works with your second example and Shakespeare. The words were attached to a play that would be performed, not just rote memorization and "facts". But conservatives generally hate that "liberal namby-pamby stuff"--but liberals are right in this. If the learning is unimportant and has no place in real life, or no end point, no one retains it.

Conservatives generally suck at understanding education. I say this as a conservative, btw.

In your third example, anything, again, that touched on your social emotional, REAL life will be long imprinted on your memory. If you make teenagers memorize long lists of facts that have no meaning to their real life, not only will they hate it, they won't remember it.

So, you just rather shot your whole case to smithereens with your examples.

Nope. You believe I did. There's a difference.

My son was made to drill the first ten Constitutional amendments when he was nine. They had no meaning to his real life, but he had to memorize them word for word regardless, and did.

That was twenty years ago. He can still rattle them off.

In any event, the lack of memorization of facts in current educational practices and the dependence upon various machines to replace the brain is largely to blame for the public system turning out hordes of barely functional idiots.

When I was in school (old man mantra) the United States was ranked first in education in the world. Now, we are twenty-seventh. The product produced with all of these Critical Thinking Skills and Project Based Education seems to have completely faceplanted. One cannot think critically without something in one's head about which to critically think.

In any event, it was most unwise to replace American History and Civics with multicultural, gender and diversity studies. The results are quite clear.

Your son can probably rattle that off because he was raised in a household where the Constitution was valued and honored; where this was part of who he was all around him. IOW it resonated with him. That's why he retained it for so many years.

I totally agree that children must be taught the basics in a very "basic" way, NOT with technology. I completely agree that you cannot think critically if you have nothing to think critically ABOUT. You cannot construct thinking from no knowledge. Totally agree there.

But we cannot end anymore with regurgitated facts. Google can give you that. Regurgitated facts is not LEARNING, as the educators in this thread are telling you--as you yourself said, when you said you can remember high school parties and song lyrics but not other things. I am explaining to you WHY you can. Good teachers know how to connect learning with THOSE things so kids can retain knowledge better. And actually learn.

And mostly, conservatives sneer and snort and it and want kids to go back to rote memorization as not only a launching pad to learning, but as the end-all.

It's just bad practice.

Conservatives do not do education well. They just don't
Memorizing the Bill of Rights, Preamble to the Constitution or Gettysburg Address means nothing without understanding the overarching meaning and relevance to our society

And memorizing them can be part of developing that understanding.

Such a drama queen

Of course they did that's why the Constitution was written the way it is, abolitionist was already present in those times

But they never thought slaves would be free. Well lets not play this game. They had no idea that there would be weapons like today, and the internet. In England and France they just exchanged blacks for white slaves. The framers were all white men who came from privilege.

But they never thought slaves would be free. Well not play this game. They had no idea that there would be weapons like today, and the internet. In England and France they just exchanged blacks for white slaves.

It's bear513 - Not our sharpest tool ;)

Such a drama queen

You are not entitled to representation balanced politically between the parties, but only that granted you by the voters.

Forum List

Back